Tell me about Android phones

Hawndoh

So my iPhone 6 is on its last legs. I’ve gotten sufficiently annoyed at Apple’s shit that I’m going to switch to Android. 

So what kinds of things should I be looking at? Is Samsung the consensus choice or are they just as annoying as Apple?

It would be nice to get something compatible with AT&T Next to spread out the cost but not a total deal breaker. 

The Google Pixel 3 is supposed to be available on October. Is that worth considering?

1 hour ago, Hawndoh said:

The Google Pixel 3 is supposed to be available on October. Is that worth considering?

that should probably be at the top the list of anyone considering an android phone.  esp if you can get a good deal on it (ex: last december, target was selling pixel 2 and 2xl for $300 off if you activated a line on verizon, which you could cancel the next day.  target also has a 1 day only 10% off giftcard sale each december, so, by buying giftcards, i got a pixel 2 for ~$350)

pixel 2 has been cheap from walmart lately, using similar activate and cancel on verizon.

what carrier?  some phones are only avail on at&t and tmo.

go with a samsung s8, s9, or note 9.  touchwiz is much better and samsung has the best hardware.  

the essential ph1, one plus, huawei, and those oems are only avail on at&t and tmo.  even still, you can find the s8 or s9 at same prices as the other phones.  the galaxy's are better phones.

Has anyone on here switched from iPhone to Android recently? I was on Android way back on the Samsung S3 and found the Android UI to be frustrating. I want to switch back from iPhone because I’m appalled at the prices of a new iPhone. Will I be frustrated again or has the UI improved enough to make it easier to use?

On 9/16/2018 at 8:02 PM, crash_davis said:

what carrier?  some phones are only avail on at&t and tmo.

go with a samsung s8, s9, or note 9.  touchwiz is much better and samsung has the best hardware.  

the essential ph1, one plus, huawei, and those oems are only avail on at&t and tmo.  even still, you can find the s8 or s9 at same prices as the other phones.  the galaxy's are better phones.

Don't think this is accurate. I bought one and am currently still on AT&T, but part of the reason I chose this phone is that it was unlocked and could be used on any provider. See below:

US carriers confirm they'll support the Essential Phone. The Essential Phone is designed to work on all four major US mobile networks: Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint. It has the necessary technology inside for compatibility with each.May 30, 2017

9 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Has anyone on here switched from iPhone to Android recently? I was on Android way back on the Samsung S3 and found the Android UI to be frustrating. I want to switch back from iPhone because I’m appalled at the prices of a new iPhone. Will I be frustrated again or has the UI improved enough to make it easier to use?

I haven't switched from an iPhone, but both the Android UI and Samsung's overlay are nearly unrecognizable (mostly for the better) compared to the days of the S3.

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I haven't switched from an iPhone, but both the Android UI and Samsung's overlay are nearly unrecognizable (mostly for the better) compared to the days of the S3.

Yeah and it's mostly in "granularity" of things you can mess with and customize.  Meaning there's more of it.  Which is probably not to the benefit of an iOS user.  I'm a tinkerer at heart and some of the stuff in Oreo is beyond my interest, mainly the various things you can do with notifications (and I got a security upgrade that turned them all off, which it took me a week or so to notice).  Part of it is that I just dgaf anymore and havent changed my overall basic settings (Nova, dark solid screen, 2-3 desktops, widget apps) since my S2.

I'd say the basic functionality of icons you push to run an app, a home button, a back button, and recently used, is pretty much the same.  Everything else is pretty much guaranteed to frustrate an iOS user.

16 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah and it's mostly in "granularity" of things you can mess with and customize.  Meaning there's more of it.  Which is probably not to the benefit of an iOS user.  I'm a tinkerer at heart and some of the stuff in Oreo is beyond my interest, mainly the various things you can do with notifications (and I got a security upgrade that turned them all off, which it took me a week or so to notice).  Part of it is that I just dgaf anymore and havent changed my overall basic settings (Nova, dark solid screen, 2-3 desktops, widget apps) since my S2.

I'd say the basic functionality of icons you push to run an app, a home button, a back button, and recently used, is pretty much the same.  Everything else is pretty much guaranteed to frustrate an iOS user.

I don't even change launchers anymore. Granted, I have a Nexus (probably upgrading to Pixel this year), so the stock launcher is already decent to look at.

• 2 weeks later...