signature voices

Goo Punch

OK. When I think iconic voice, it is a voice that a decent segment of the population would recognize within the fist few words

On this thread, of those listed, Dolores O’Riordan, Neil Young, Don Henley, Steve Perry, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash, Karen Carpenter (though I am nota fan), John Denver, Barry White, Willie Nelson, Tom Petty and Chris Cornell qualify.

The others are fine (or even great) singers, but not “iconic.” 

I am a long time rocker, but think Sinatra, Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson, Roger Daltry, Robert Plant etc. Not someone you just happen to like that had a 

9 hours ago, AustinMT said:

OK. When I think iconic voice, it is a voice that a decent segment of the population would recognize within the fist few words

On this thread, of those listed, Dolores O’Riordan, Neil Young, Don Henley, Steve Perry, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash, Karen Carpenter (though I am nota fan), John Denver, Barry White, Willie Nelson, Tom Petty and Chris Cornell qualify.

The others are fine (or even great) singers, but not “iconic.” 

I am a long time rocker, but think Sinatra, Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson, Roger Daltry, Robert Plant etc. Not someone you just happen to like that had a 

Signature worthy....

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Thread title is "signature", not "iconic", so I'm not sure how that opens things up.  I'd add:

Elvis Costello

Lucinda Williams

Kurt Cobain

Britt Daniel

Van Morrison

John Lennon

John Lydon

Exactly, to me this thread is, the minute they start singing, you know exactly who it is, whether they are "iconic" of not.  To wit:

Waylon

Mick Jagger

Prince

Cher

Bon Scott

Brian Johnson

David Lee Roth