Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

Where are you taking someone from Boston?

I’m taking them to places that are uniquely Ft Worth. I’m not going to the generic places that are the same as Boston. So this is a short list. I don’t think there is anything like Jesus bbq in Boston.

I’ve used these places among others with lots of out of town business guests. They like seeing cowboys in places like Star Cafe, eating rattlesnake at Lonesome Dove, getting calf fries at Cattleman’s.

They also love Joe T’s, and Los Vaqueros, etc. there’s nothing wrong with some things that might be touristy or cliche. Folks in Denver take folks to fucking Casa Bonita, or to big dim sum palaces in San Francisco.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/13/2024 at 10:17 PM, wild_turkey said:

Bowie House has a solid bar with an upscale crowd and drink list. Thompson’s downtown for more of a cocktail bar, although I haven’t been since the remodel. Atlas over on South Main has kind of moody vibe and good drinks. If you want something more low key or a dive, there’s Ye Old Bull and Bush or Showdown.

But for most types, my go-to would be the bar in the new Bowie House hotel.

Depending on what kind of night it is at Showdown, that Boston guy would either immediately move to FW, or ask his buddy if he had a severe head injury when he rec'd that place.

But I like the rec. You're a gambler going for the high risk high reward option.

• Like 1

Pretty big name around here, whether you gave a shit about racing or not.

Eddie Gossage, the longtime head of Texas Motor Speedway and an old-school promoter mentored by stock car racing's pioneers, has died, Speedway Motorsports announced Thursday night. He was 65.

Gossage stepped down three years ago after 25 years as president of the track in Fort Worth, Texas. In all, Gossage spent 32 years working for Speedway Motorsports, learning the art of selling tickets, packing grandstands and turning races into must-see spectacles from company founder Bruton Smith and longtime executive Humpy Wheeler. 

https://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/40161613/eddie-gossage-long-head-texas-motor-speedway-dies-65

• Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 6:05 PM, Shaggy3.0 said:

Made it to azle.  Yeah i know.  Box face and all that. 

made the most of it and visited saddleback. Purchased graduation gifts for mba, new college grad peeps. 

IMG_5464.jpeg

IMG_5466.jpeg

IMG_5469.jpeg

IMG_5470.jpeg

IMG_5471.jpeg

IMG_5472.jpeg

IMG_5474.jpeg

IMG_5476.jpeg

IMG_5475.jpeg

What is Saddleback?  I live in the area and never heard of it.

The shittification of downtown/sundance marches on with Four Day Weekend’s lease not being renewed by landlord. That block is going to be dead without reata and the theater. Uno pizza been shuttered a while. down to red goose saloon and melt ice cream. 

Ha! Not exactly surprising. Pulled that block up on streetview and the only storefront occupied on the other side is a flower shop and overland (clothing). 

saw dipshit ohare saying his goal is to bring a major corporate relo to the area this yr. Pawn stars meme, “best I can do is logistics warehouses”

3 hours ago, sasquatch69 said:

When Sundance was hopping in the late 90s/early 00s, I really thought it was pretty much unstoppable. Clearly they’ve fumbled this one big time with a series of bad decisions.

I thought it was still going pretty strong even into the teens but I never saw it 20 yrs ago for comparison. 

On 5/17/2021 at 3:51 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

This is that strip center behind Mexican Inn, now open. 

Mariachi’s Dine-In, 5724 Locke Ave., known for Monterrey-style street tacos and also for a vegan version, has reopened for dinner only in its new location after moving from North Sylvania Avenue; mariachisdinein.com. 

On 5/18/2021 at 6:51 AM, pch said:

Another good Mexican restaurant moves from Sylvania Avenue.  Has worked well for Enchiladas Ole (and for those of us who can now find a parking space), hopefully will work out for Mariachi's.  They were actually located in a gas station on S. Sylvania just south of 4th street and their barbacoa tacos are some of the best I have found in Cowtown.

They gone, effective Friday. Owner is moving to CA. 

I'd say XTO and all the office jobs leaving plus the development of West 7th and Magnolia as night $ destinations had more to do with the downfall of downtown. Hotels and the fake aggy law school aren't enough.

Plus didnt all the city hall workers get moved to the Pier 1 building? Big hunk of lunch dollars shifted to W7 right there

On 5/25/2024 at 5:03 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

Happens more times than you think. I’ve never dealt with it firsthand, but it’s happened at least twice in my city in the last couple years that I can remember.

Sheesh. 

Following severe storms in North Texas, two people were killed in separate incidents while trimming trees in Arlington, according to police.

The first incident happened Saturday at a home in the 4700 block of Belle Point Court, killing 20-year-old Carl Blaylock III. According to Arlington police, Blaylock was up in a tree with a chainsaw when he hit a power line and was electrocuted.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Officers at the scene had to keep family members back from the tree while firefighters worked to get his body down, police say.

On Tuesday, officers responded to a home in the 5900 block of Flintshire Court after receiving reports of a tree falling on a woman.

When officers arrived at the home, family members said that the woman and her boyfriend were trying to trim a tree that had fallen on their roof. While they were attempting to cut the tree, one of the limbs snapped and hit the woman, causing her to fall to the ground, according to police. 

First responders pronounced the woman dead at the scene. The medical examiner identified her as 62-year-old Lucia Gonzalez Layman. She died due to a blunt force injury to the head and the manner of her death was ruled an accident.

Police say there are no signs of foul play or criminal element in either death. 

Those are rough, but hearing the details of this one when it happened made my stomach turn.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/two-kids-electrocuted-by-downed-power-line-in-fort-worth.amp

Wouldn’t be surprised if one got electrocuted then the other got it when he tried to help the other.

Electricity is fucked up. I’m nervous as shit standing there with the hook and I don’t ever touch the shit.