Liverpool 2017-18: We won it 5 times

longhorndude

1 minute ago, Jograves said:

You can't compare City to us. It's apples and hand grenades. They spent £140m on fullbacks last summer. 

Our goal should be to have 16 to 18 outfield players that can play in the first XI. We've had that for a large chunk of this season. 

Your argument was that players we can't have quality backups because they won't be guaranteed playing time. That's simply not true.

On 5/6/2018 at 1:31 PM, Firemans4Horn said:

Rumors of Nabil Fekir for €70m. Would love that. 

Absolutely. He's a perfect fit for Klopp's system and would be a fantastic buy.

A 3-in-2 scorer (135 min/goal) who averages 1.5 tackles per game (for comparison Firmino averages 1.8, which led the league for FWD's) and would immediately be the best FK taker in our squad.

Obligatory YouTube comp for those who haven't seen him:

Here's my take on our depth. We have depth but our bodies depending on the position are either injury prone or lacking quality.

Attack:

Starters are good. 

Bench is currently lacking quality. I think we need to bring Origi back and buy a back-up versatile attacker. I'm fine with keeping Ings and Solanke for break in case of emergency situations and cup matches but neither is truly good enough to be Liverpool players.

Midfield:

Starters are average for the most part and there's injury history with Hendo, Lallana and Ox. Think we need an AM and a DM in addition to Naby this summer. If we do that I think we'll be set up for 2018/19. Expecting Can to leave.

Depth is fine if we buy players that push Henderson, Milner, Lallana, Ox, and Gini to the bench. All those guys are fine options as cup/rotational guys.

Defense:

Starters are good except for the CB next to VvD. Need to purchase a partner for him.

Depth isn't too bad going into next season provided nobody is sold. I can live with Robertson/Moreno, VvD/Lovren, New CB/Matip, TAA/Clyne. 

Keeper:

Karius likely gets another year. While I'm not sold I do think putting a more solid defense right in front of him will help. 

If Mignolet stays I'm good with him as a backup. If he leaves then I think we need to buy unless Danny Ward has made massive strides.

Our depth will be ok if we make the correct buys. This is how I'd like to see us start next season:

Reserves   Mane   Firmino   Salah  
Milner   FNG   Origi   Solanke  
Gini              
Ings       FNG      
        Lallana      

FNG   Naby    
      Hendo   Ox    

Robertson VvD   FNG   TAA
  Moreno   Lovren   Matip   Clyne

Karius      
        Mignolet      

I didn't list Gomez or Klavan. Not that I expect them to be sold but just to keep it within 25. I'd expect some sales as well but no sense in predicting those atm.

Edited by maninblack

Origi has scored 5 goals in 34 appearances while out on loan. I just don't see any way back for him. He doesn't fit and he hasn't been very good for 1.5 seasons now. 

I'm ok with keeping Solanke because he's young. He may need a loan spell. I think Ings is gone. He's at an age (25) where he wants more than 22 appearances. Most of those have come in mop up duty. He could definitely start for someone like Newcastle or Brighton.

We do need another forward pretty badly. I think Harry Wilson will get a look early on next year as a 3rd striker. He's been very good at Hull. 

Edited by Jograves

Hadn’t seen anything specific. 

Speakingbif which, has there been anything official on Ox?  Thought I’d seen it wasn’t a cruciate year, but heard someone say tat pretty definitively on the radio yday. 

3 hours ago, Jograves said:

Origi has scored 5 goals in 34 appearances while out on loan. I just don't see any way back for him. He doesn't fit and he hasn't been very good for 1.5 seasons now. 

I'm ok with keeping Solanke because he's young. He may need a loan spell. I think Ings is gone. He's at an age (25) where he wants more than 22 appearances. Most of those have come in mop up duty. He could definitely start for someone like Newcastle or Brighton.

We do need another forward pretty badly. I think Harry Wilson will get a look early on next year as a 3rd striker. He's been very good at Hull. 

I can see all that but I wasn't predicting sales. Origi has shown more than Solanke to me so if it came down between the two I'd pick Divock.

Wilson is a good shout but I'd also buy for the front 3 as well.

5 hours ago, pied said:

For the haters. Warrior  

Joe Gomez has had ankle surgery. Will miss CL final and probably World Cup as well. Sacrificed himself for Liverpool when playing in pain v West Brom and Stoke City.

https://mobile.twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/993807651661328385

Don't think anyone hates him. He's just not all that good right now.

That's high praise coming from you.  :)  

On a separate note, does anyone follow the poster Darren1 on the main LFC board?  Pretty sure he works in the gambling business and posts probabilities to finish top 4/win key games/etc.

Seems to know his stuff and I find it interesting, especially when it's in our favor.

https://forums.liverpoolfc.com/threads/394980-Top-4-chances?p=13210816#post13210816

14 hours ago, TKS said:

As long as we don't lose at Anfield to Huddersfield AND Chelsea wins at Newscastle on the final day, we are Champions League 2018/19.

14 hours ago, TKS said:

Good news is that Huddersfield is now safe from relegation. They will just be playing for between 15th and 17th on Sunday.

Brighton