Tokyo

mycox

I don't think there is a Tokyo or Japan thread. I will be In Tokyo for 9 days late November. What should I see and do besides checking out that sushi and ramen place.

Things on my list:
Shibuya
Akihabara
The area around Tsukiji fish market and Yurakucho for some good street food
Asakusa
Harajuku and Meiji-jingu
eat kobe beef
Harajuku

day trip to Nikko
I'm thinking about a weekend outside of Tokyo City - maybe Kyoto 

yes, Kyoto for the food and culture. its a must.

Tokyo is wonderful. its the opposite of other countries where the capital/big city is a place to avoid. I have been a few times and I freaking love it

you have all the good stuff there

- eat at Tsukiji in the early morning. sushi. like 5AM then tour the market. great right when you arrive with jet lag and shit

- only eat at places that make just one food i.e. tonkatsu place, ramen place, etc. its totally worth it. they are obsessive with their food and i respect the shit out of that. alternatively, eating in the meat alleys / piss alleys under or next to the big trains stations is great too. Great time in Shinjuku to be had if you find it. its like small 10 man bars serving bbq and hot sake. all really narrow and stacked one after the other. in the winter its great as it can be pretty damn cold outside. 

- just walk. the trains/subways are awesome. just walk around and explore. let it go how it goes.

- drink at night at the Golder Gai one night. thats cool. you can meet lots of people and make some friends

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Are you traveling alone? If with a significant other, go spend the night at a spa in Hakone.

agree with this.  we spent time in tokyo (ate really well and also enjoyed walking around the fish market and took in a Giants game at the Tokyo dome) then took the bullet to kyoto which was also great.  on the way back we spent 2 nights at a ryokan (sp?) in Hakone and it was awesome -- built on the side of a mountain looking over this valley -- really beautiful).  

8 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Are you traveling alone? If with a significant other, go spend the night at a spa in Hakone.

Will be traveling with a friend (a guy and would rather not be in a spa with him), but will have a couple of solo days.

Definitely go to Kyoto and stop by at Nara. Visit the largest temple in Japan and feed the deer. Kyoto go up the gates, it's one of a kind, and enjoy the old architecture.

In Tokyo, you can't fucking go wrong, man. You could spend days wandering around and exploring. I did Shibuya, the Fish Market, Rpongi Hills...mostly just walked around and ducked into all the temples and shrines. The various semi-covered markets for street food and whatnot. 

Definitely spend one meal and go to Andy's. Website is old AF and outdated, but it's accurate. It's run by a British ex pat and his japanese family, but shit man, it's like nestled right under a freeway and is in this really interesting space. But more importantly the food was insanely good, especially the crab. Probably the most fun I had a a meal in Tokyo with my buddies. 
http://www.andysfish.com/

Excited for you, man.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

I spent a little over 2 weeks in Japan last April, including 6 nights in Tokyo. Best trip I've taken.

Aside from the food, the best part of the trip was just walking around the neighborhoods day and night. Shimokita, Ebisu, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Daieknyama/Nakmeguro, Akihabara, all awesome. The late night bars/clubs were also awesome, if that is your jam. As a poster above said, one night at Golden Gai was very fun (super touristy, but still cool). 

The food is unreal. We stuck mostly stuck to soba/udon/ramen (e.g., Fuunji, Tatsunoya, Afuri, Shin Udon) during the day, and splurged at night. We did Seiyoryori Shima for western style Kobe steak, and Masuda and Sushisho Masa for omakase sushi. All three require a reservation about a month in advance and hit the wallet HARD. Bouncing around yakitoris in Omoide Yokocho or Ebisu Yokocho was also top notch. 

We also rented go carts and did a guided tour through the city through MariCar. 40mph driving around in Tokyo traffic dressed in a Mario outfit (with no helmet).  

Outside of Tokyo, I kind of thought Kyoto was a snooze after 2 days, which might work well with your schedule. But that is heavily dependent on whether you are a city person or a "see the sites with other tourists" kind of person. If the latter, Kyoto is like a playground. I also loved the night we spent in Osaka and the afternoon in Nara, but probably not worth it with 9 days. 

We also spent a night in a Ryokan in Hakone, which was great. You might not have time in 9 days. 

• Like 1

will add that when in Ginza/Shinjuku go into the department stores and head to the basement for some unbelievable food halls.

https://www.eater.com/2017/2/21/14651856/tokyo-department-store-food-depachika

trainbar in Ropongi is not a bad spot to grab a cocktail, although it can be crowded.

Best thing about Tokyo is the food. If you have a local with you or someone who speaks Japanese it makes it that much better.

Edited by MAROON
  • Like 1

Be aware that apparently the Tsukiji fish market has closed.  I'm not sure what that means for all the food stalls around.

Lots of good suggestions here.  We loved Osaka as well (pretty much just for the food), but don't know if you have time or are interested in bouncing around.

Unfortunately it's not baseball season, but maybe a sumo match?  I wanted to check one out, but schedules didn't align.

Entry into the Toyosu market is free for all visitors, with those hoping to see the space at its liveliest advised to get there before 8 a.m.The famous early morning tuna auctions will still be happening over at the new location, beginning at 4:30 a.m. daily.Whereas at Tsukiji you had to get a reservation ticket, all you have to do now is show up and try to get a good spot on the special viewing platform.

All dining options are located in the structure as well now, with around 40 food stalls -- most carried over from Tsukiji -- set to operate.
Beyond that, visitors can also head up to the grass-carpeted roof to take in nice views of the city. Organizers also plan to move the famous Tsukiji shrine to the venue as well.

As for future developments, plans are reportedly underway to open a hotel and hot spring catered towards tourists at the market in the next few years.

• 4 years later...

Buuuuump.

Going next year - likely 6 days in Tokyo, 3 in Kyoto and 1 in Hiroshima. 

Any Tokyo hotel recs? Id like to stay around Tokyo Station I think (unless you can talk me out of that, don’t want to stay in thr most busy area) and my budget is less than $750/night. Most places we stay are more (the Andez, Four Seasons, Conrad, Peninsula are all $900+). 

13 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Buuuuump.

Any Tokyo hotel recs? Id like to stay around Tokyo Station I think (unless you can talk me out of that, don’t want to stay in thr most busy area) and my budget is less than $750/night. Most places we stay are more (the Andez, Four Seasons, Conrad, Peninsula are all $900+). 

Spend a little more and stay at The Ritz in Roppongi. Then walk over to Robataya one night for an awesome dinner. 

1 hour ago, b_p said:

Spend a little more and stay at The Ritz in Roppongi. Then walk over to Robataya one night for an awesome dinner. 

Friend who lives there told me to avoid staying in Roppongi, said its vibe isn’t mine. We are calm, don’t stay out late and and higher end shoppers. I have no idea if that’s true, but he’s lived there now 11 years.

30 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Wow. I can't help you.  I think I spent 400 a night.   Our room was small, but quite nice. We were in Shinjuku.

I’d love to do cheaper haha, but the wife is pretty picky about having a standalone tub, sitting area, turndown service etc 

Just now, The Ace of Aces said:

Friend who lives there told me to avoid staying in Roppongi, said its vibe isn’t mine. We are calm, don’t stay out late and and higher end shoppers. I have no idea if that’s true, but he’s lived there now 11 years.

I wouldn’t call Roppongi a late night area. I’m not sure what your friend is referring to. It’s definitely quiet there around the Ritz. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Buuuuump.

Not sure what the Grand Hyatt is going for these days, but I've had good luck booking restaurants via their concierge, and surely it's under $750.  Not super close to Tokyo Station, though.  Stayed at the Conrad last visit and can't believe it's up to $900+.  Heading back in the spring but haven't booked things yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, creeper said:

Not sure what the Grand Hyatt is going for these days, but I've had good luck booking restaurants via their concierge, and surely it's under $750.  Not super close to Tokyo Station, though.  Stayed at the Conrad last visit and can't believe it's up to $900+.  Heading back in the spring but haven't booked things yet.

@The Ace of Aces We stayed at Citadines Shinjuku which was fine and absolutely not even remotely close to that price...

20 minutes by rail to Tokyo Station

https://www.discoverasr.com/en/citadines/japan/citadines-shinjuku-tokyo?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=HQ-google-organic-alwayson-20230628-all-en-jp-jp-citadinesshinjukutokyo-eme-gbp

• Hook 'Em 1

We stayed at the Park Hyatt. It was pretty awesome to end each night at the New York Bar. Our room would have checked all your wife's boxes 😉.

However, this was in 2017 and I was able to use my corporate rate of around $500 per night. No idea how many arms and legs they're charging these days.

6 days in Tokyo sounds a bit much to me. As I've said before in this thread, I'd shorten and work in some days in Osaka.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Spoosner said:

We stayed at the Park Hyatt. It was pretty awesome to end each night at the New York Bar. Our room would have checked all your wife's boxes 😉.

However, this was in 2017 and I was able to use my corporate rate of around $500 per night. No idea how many arms and legs they're charging these days.

6 days in Tokyo sounds a bit much to me. As I've said before in this thread, I'd shorten and work in some days in Osaka.

The PH is closing for a year and half for a guy renovation unfortunately!