Oh well. We have overachieved so far this season

FORTY NINE TO ZERO

14 hours ago, Phoenix said:

I have. It's the same schedule we have every year. 1 tough OOC, 2 easier ones, and a tough Big 12 slate. My point was that we knew it was going to take at least 3 years to get us out of the shithole that Charlie got us in. We have seen an improvement this year over last year, and if that trend continues, we will be a playoff contender next year.

Potentially suspicious new poster alert.  RadiologyHorn has proven that aggy are trying to up their game.

14 hours ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

Yep. Plenty of mistakes and bone headed brain farts to clean up. And finally get rid of these seniors. Just keep fixing and improving and

for the love of God bench Hager. 

If Hager wasn't doing what Beck wanted him to do then he wouldn't be playing.  Beck was handicapped last night, and I'm glad thermensa handed down the suspensions to create that handicap.  We almost won and our D in the second half turned it around.  How many 3-n-outs did we force to give the O a chance?

Seniors, special teams, suspensions, penalties.

Look, we're 6 and 6.  Parcells.

We're also bowl-eligible in October.  PARCELLS.

18 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

If Hager wasn't doing what Beck wanted him to do then he wouldn't be playing.  Beck was handicapped last night, and I'm glad thermensa handed down the suspensions to create that handicap.  We almost won and our D in the second half turned it around.  How many 3-n-outs did we force to give the O a chance?

Seniors, special teams, suspensions, penalties.

Look, we're 6 and 6.  Parcells.

We're also bowl-eligible in October.  PARCELLS.

This is a stunning post on a few levels. 

2 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

I think Herman will get some grad transfers to plug the gaps.

We still have a lot of weak points on the roster but we're getting better. The OL and DL are the biggest concerns for me. Playoff contenders have great lines. No two ways about it.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Every freshman lineman bar Ossai is redshirting. We're getting back to sensible roster construction there 

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

This is correct. We are RS'ing 5 OL(including Okafor). Coming into this season Texas had RS'd Rodriguez, Imade, Hudson, and Cosmi along the OL.

We are also RS'ing 5 DL(including Chisholm), coming into this season, Nelson is the only DL that had received a RS.

We are also RS'ing 3 QBs. The last multiple year starter at QB that got to RS was Colt.

It's just amazing how badly this roster was built in the past 5 years, and just what Herman has needed to do to fix the issues.

+1000.  Great Stuff..... Out of positive reps.... 

The more I think about the Okie Lite game and this 2018 TEXAS FB Roster just reminds me how limited our current quality depth is.  While Herman continues to rebuild this Roster, I hope that the Team keeps improving enough to keep HORNS fans from getting discouraged.  🤘

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

go ahead rex.  pontificate.  you go sir!~!

How do you not know who are coordinators are?

Why do you insist on this unorthodox posting style?  Why are you conflating what Parcells’ quote with your own conservatism about our ultimate record?  We are not 6-6. Parcells suggests we are 6-2. 

11 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

We’re also quite mediocre statistically this year.  We’re 66th in total offense, 57th in total defense, 56th in scoring offense, and 53rd in scoring defense.  We’re largely winning because, unlike last year, we rarely turn the ball over and are winning the turnover margin pretty handily.

Now, I’m receptive to arguments that our coaching schemes aren’t necessarily maximizing our talent, but overall I’d have to agree that we’re overachieving this year. This team still has lots of starters that aren’t even close to being top NFL prospects, which simply isn’t the case for the elite national teams, and our stats say we are average at best on both offense and defense.  I’ll give Herman credit for being able to manage that into a top 15 ranking this late in the season.

Also, I think it will be 2020 before we could really be back.  Next year’s roster is going to have problem areas, too.  We really need the current freshmen class and future recruiting classes to start filling out our starting lineup before we can expect to be a powerhouse again.  It’s already apparent that Herman is capable of bringing in true blue chips at a rate we haven’t seen here since early Mack, but we don’t have enough of them yet.

Yeah.... Not sold that 2019 Team will be that much better than 2018 unless HORNS are able to pick up 3-5  Grad Transfers or Jucos to fill key spots.

Key spots may include LB, DL, OL and maybe a blocking TE & experienced DB.  

Still have to find/upgrade more talent in trenches to really elevate success on the field

Edited by LTtxfan

6 minutes ago, WBT said:

On paper this was arguably our 2nd easiest of the last 5 games.  8-4 or even 7-5 are still in play.

This current team plays so much better at Home & at Cotton Bowl than on the Road.  

They are improving, but still more maturity, experience and leadership to be developed before they are more successful on the Road and become a Great Team.....

Edited by LTtxfan

On 10/28/2018 at 8:19 PM, LTtxfan said:

This current team plays so much better at Home & at Cotton Bowl than on the Road.  

They are improving, but still more maturity, experience and leadership to be developed before they are more successful on the Road and become a Great Team.....

This team also failed to score a single 2nd half point at home against a horrible Baylor team. 

On 10/28/2018 at 7:58 PM, longhornmatt said:

We’re also quite mediocre statistically this year.  We’re 66th in total offense, 57th in total defense, 56th in scoring offense, and 53rd in scoring defense.  We’re largely winning because, unlike last year, we rarely turn the ball over and are winning the turnover margin pretty handily.

Now, I’m receptive to arguments that our coaching schemes aren’t necessarily maximizing our talent, but overall I’d have to agree that we’re overachieving this year. This team still has lots of starters that aren’t even close to being top NFL prospects, which simply isn’t the case for the elite national teams, and our stats say we are average at best on both offense and defense.  I’ll give Herman credit for being able to manage that into a top 15 ranking this late in the season.

Also, I think it will be 2020 before we could really be back.  Next year’s roster is going to have problem areas, too.  We really need the current freshmen class and future recruiting classes to start filling out our starting lineup before we can expect to be a powerhouse again.  It’s already apparent that Herman is capable of bringing in true blue chips at a rate we haven’t seen here since early Mack, but we don’t have enough of them yet.

Exactly!

This team is missing so many pieces, but is still finding ways to win games.  Playoff caliber teams don't start Lockes, Wheelers, or Hagers and they have somebody to replace Boyd and Davis. Herman needs a plus TE to make his scheme work and he has done a pretty good job of turning Beck ( a LB recruit?) into a serviceable TE, but he is no Finley or Thomas.

He has coached up Johnson and Humphrey into legit threats that opposing Ds have to worry about.  He convinced Watson and Anderson to spend their last season in Austin and both of those guys have been better than solid.  

But the biggest reason for optimism is the slow play of a guy like Cosmi, who we heard rumors was really good, and now we see actually is good and will only get better.  The key is to have more guys in the trenches like him.  Those guys typically take time to develop and only the true gems are contributors in year one or two.  The skill guys will come, and we have seen flashes of really special talent with the freshmen, but we need that kind of talent to be juniors and seniors before we will be great.  

The fact that our supposed leaders can't even show up to meetings on time says a lot about how far the culture needed to go.  It still isn't anywhere near elite.