Oh well. We have overachieved so far this season

FORTY NINE TO ZERO

West Virginia is a better all-around team than Oklahoma State, but we never seem to play above shit level against OSU. We usually play better against West Virginia, so we're still in it.  Not predicting yet, but I think O/U will be around 70.

Edited by phdhorn

1 minute ago, phdhorn said:

West Virginia is a better all-around team than Oklahoma State, but we never seem to play above shit level against OSU. We usually play better against West Virginia, so we're still in it.  Not predicting yet, but I think O/U will be around 70.

As we've all seen, Tom Herman teams play exactly to their level of competition. 

Just now, texifornia said:

As we've all seen, Tom Herman teams play exactly to their level of competition. 

I usually have no fucking idea of what Tom Herman does, but I do know that this year, contrary to expectations, the back end of the Big 12 schedule for us is harder. We beat a few teams that are having Mega down years, OU of course the giddy exception.

If we play against West Virginia, ISU or Tech like we did tonight, we will definitely lose one if not two more.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Exactly. This is why I can't compare this season to those years. The talent is not even close. You knew there was something special brewing with those teams. I don't see it here. It is going to be a longer process.

Omenihu and Hager would get 10 snaps total behind BAMF's like Robison and Crowder. Yet I have to endure nonstop hype and marketing around these two average bums. That's how you know this program is a long way from recovery. A player that would be 3rd string 10 years ago is all over our football marketing. think about that...

i miss these guys. quiet. tough. consistent. gamers.

defensive-ends-brian-robison-and-tim-cro

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Aces_Full said:

We have under-achieved vs lesser talented teams in Maryland & OSU.  

OSU is not less talented than Texas, they are probably on par with the talent we have currently. This will be the least talented 9+ win team during Tom's tenure here. OSU has had shitty coaching most of the year though.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

We will drop to around 16 which is about where we are as a team this year.  10 teams below us lost today, just a mediocre year outside Bama it seems.  Looks like another Bama/Clemson final, yay? 

Never thought playoffs would be in the cards after Maryland, even after the 6-0 run just because of how close it was at times.  But was still hoping to keep winning, even ugly, so recruiting would finish really strong.   Keep building talent and depth, hope coaching can keep up. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

We will drop to around 16 which is about where we are as a team this year.  10 teams below us lost today, just a mediocre year outside Bama it seems.  Looks like another Bama/Clemson final, yay? 

Never thought playoffs would be in the cards after Maryland, even after the 6-0 run just because of how close it was at times.  But was still hoping to keep winning, even ugly, so recruiting would finish really strong.   Keep building talent and depth, hope coaching can keep up. 

#9 lost big

#12 squeaked by

#15 lost

#16 lost big

#18 lost

#19 lost big 

#20 lost big

#21 lost big

#22 lost

#24 lost

#25 lost big

My guess is Texas is still in the Top 15 by virtue of most of the Top 25 that played losing this week.

Let's say that every team that won or was idle this week moves ahead of Texas.

So that would be Georgia, OU, UCF, Ohio State, Kentucky, West Virginia, Washington State, and Penn State. That would 7, so at worst Texas would be down to #14 which is probably a more accurate ranking. Though I think Texas will still be ahead of Penn State.

Edited by HtownHorn

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

#9 lost big

#12 squeaked by

#15 lost

#16 lost big

#18 lost

#19 lost big 

#20 lost big

#21 lost big

#22 lost

#24 lost

#25 lost big

My guess is Texas is still in the Top 15 by virtue of most of the Top 25 that played losing this week.

Let's say that every team that won or was idle this week moves ahead of Texas.

So that would be Georgia, OU, UCF, Ohio State, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Washington State. That would 7, so at worst Texas would be down to #13, which is probably a more accurate ranking.

I think you left out pedo, who I think jumps ahead for beating Iowa.  Houston will be ranked, probably won't pass us but wouldn't be surprised, they might beat us if we played.   we could drop below UF and Utah could potentially pass us  

so somewhere between 13-16 with 14 or 15 being likely   probably about where we should be, I would feel better playing someone like Kentucky or even tOSU than I would ISU or tech based on how we play up or down to our opponents  

8 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Yep. It was fun while it lasted, but we all knew that this team is still a year away from being a playoff contender.

This team is further than a year away and wasn’t a playoff contender.  Next year 13-15 of the starters will be gone.

6 hours ago, Treefidy said:

10 teams below us lost today, just a mediocre year outside Bama it seems.  

That's how college football has been trending for a couple years now. Multiple 4 to 5 loss teams are finishing in the top 25 nowadays. Even in the last two years 7 out the top 15 teams in the final AP Poll finished with 3 losses. 

Outside of the Bama, Ohio State, and Clemson types that challenge for the playoffs every year the 2nd tier is a bunch of teams that are probably perceived as being shitty teams. When reality 3 to 4 loss teams that play P5 type schedules are probably top 25ish teams. 

I'm too lazy to look at this anymore but I'm guessing 20 years ago you didn't see teams in the top 25 with this many losses. Feels like there's more parity across the board. 

Final '17 AP Rankings

Auburn (11th): 10-4

LSU (18th): 9-4

Miss St (19th): 9-4

Stanford (20th): 9-5

NC ST (23rd): 9-4

V-Tech (24th): 9-4

Final '16 AP Rankings

LSU (13th): 8-4

Florida (14th): 9-4

Colorado (17th): 10-4

Miami (20th): 9-4

Louisville (21st): 9-4

Tennessee (22nd): 9-4

UTAH (23rd): 9-4

Auburn (24th): 8-5

Edited by texasstrong12

I disagree. I stated on the record that Texas should be a 10 win team long before the season started. 

I simply made the mistake of not factoring in Herman’s continued practice of dropping a game where he has superiority at 18 of the 22 positions on the field.

There was no one on the schedule that was a guaranteed loss. Tough game? Sure, but not a for sure 100% loss.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Feels like there's more parity across the board. 

I think there is slightly more parity for a number of reasons, but since the AP went to a Top 25 n 1989 (from a Top 20), an average of 5 4-loss teams has been in the final poll.  Not much different.  It was when they only ranked 20 teams.

I usually have no fucking idea of what Tom Herman does, but I do know that this year, contrary to expectations, the back end of the Big 12 schedule for us is harder. We beat a few teams that are having Mega down years, OU of course the giddy exception.
If we play against West Virginia, ISU or Tech like we did tonight, we will definitely lose one if not two more.
I'm going to start throwing money on the underdog in every Herman coached game. I would be shocked if that strategy wouldn't have you at 8-0 this year.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

I've been predicting 2 losses this season since the off season, we're winning out and we're winning this fucking conference

Its hard to beat a team twice but if we get to play monkey boy and his gooners we would be the underdog again, and I like our chances if everyone shows up with their A-game.

Double deliciousness keeping them out of playoffs.

11 hours ago, Tommy Nobis said:

I’ll never understand the onside kick call with 3 timeouts in our pocket

I was also pissed at the lack of urgency on our last scoring drive. 6 mins on the clock and we are walking to the line every single play. Infuriating lack of tempo/urgency. 10+ plays and 4+ mins. 

Stopping the Jackhole at the one yard line also ended up costing Texas 2 mins of time before they eventually scored 

• Like 1

Exactly. This is why I can't compare this season to those years. The talent is not even close. You knew there was something special brewing with those teams. I don't see it here. It is going to be a longer process.

So.....there was 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003 before there was 2005 and 2008?

I’ll buy that

We lost for things that people have worried about all year that we got away with in other games.

1. We have to many damn penalties.

2. Other team always scores on first drive.

3. The offense sucks and depends on the defense playing well.

4. The offense sucks and we predict they will not be able to carry the defense and win us a shoot out. 

5. Offense plays best up tempo but why does Tom insists on slowing things down? Oh he is learning on the job it well get corrected.

6. Why does the defense go to sleep? The defense looks confused out there. Why can't Orlando quickly make adjustments? (Maryland, K State 2nd half. OU 4th quarter, Baylor 1st quarter, etc.)

7. Why is Ingram not in the game when he is clearly our best back and just had a great play?

Well, that is just a short list of things that had been said during wins. That is why most of us were unwilling to get on the play-off band wagon because we knew these issues needed to get corrected or they would cost us a game. After Baylor I told my wife we would probably be at the Sugar bowl for new years because after Baylor I could not see us not tripping somewhere along the way. I hope this team goes on another run and gets us there because that would be fun.

• Like 1

Man that loss stung.  This team is slowly growing.  When wa the last time Texas made a big comeback on the road when being down by 3 scores?  We almost pulled it off which is why it hurts.  I watched every fucking game through the good years and the last 8 fucking miserable years.  We had a good 4 year span where the team would quit after the first quarter and we’d let teams blow us out.  Atleast that mentality has changed.  There are major holes on this team.  Herman has said this repeatedly that we are not as good as other elite teams and cannot out talent people.  We have to show up.  This team over achieved and this was their first time in a hostile road environment.  This is college football, good teams lose on the road on prime time games.  That osu stadium was rocking.  Herman will use this as a learning moment and hopefully this team comes out on fire against tech bc that will be a night game too.  I’m happy that loss stung for Herman. Atleast we have a coach that clearly cares about winning.  Let’s go win 3 of the next 4.  I would be proud of a 9-10 win season for this year.

Edited by victory88
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, midtown said:

I've been saying all year...We are going to win some games we shouldn't and we are going to lose some games we should've won.  That;s what you get with a young team.

It's also the nature of college football this year. Outside of the top few teams, you could draw the names of the rest of the top 25 teams and randomly rank them. We've had a close loss and several close victories.

With such parity, success comes down to intangibles. I like what I see in that regard in Herman's team. We don't lay down. We don't stop. We will test your toughness. OSU matched that last night. Tip your hat and move on.

I like where we're going. I can't predict game outcomes, but I like where we're going.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gecko said:

Doom despair and agony on me
Deep dark depression excessive misery
If it weren’t for bad luck I’d have no luck at all
Doom despair and agony on me....

Not Doom........GLOOM

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, NowThis said:

Beck 47 is an amazing football player, no doubt will play for years in the NFL. Dude has excellent hands, can run routes, good blocker and is going to get better. 

He's also good for at least 2-3 penalties a game, often at the worst possible time.

• Like 1

Will Grier scares the fuck out of me next week. If fucking Ryan tannehill looking mother fucker can victimize this defense all night what’s he gonna do
2 fifth year senior QB's in a row, only difference is one is a Heisman contender, other is a former walk-on still working on his Gaskamp award.

We've been playing with fire every week. This was the week we finally got burned. It kills me that we still haven't seen a complete game out of this squad. At least the Big 12 championship is still a possibility. Playoff always seemed like a pipedream. So win out, beat probably OU in a rematch, and play in the Sugar Bowl against Georgia or LSU. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HSFC said:

This team is further than a year away and wasn’t a playoff contender.  Next year 13-15 of the starters will be gone.

I think Herman will get some grad transfers to plug the gaps.

We still have a lot of weak points on the roster but we're getting better. The OL and DL are the biggest concerns for me. Playoff contenders have great lines. No two ways about it.

1 hour ago, Disco Missile said:

I think Herman will get some grad transfers to plug the gaps.

We still have a lot of weak points on the roster but we're getting better. The OL and DL are the biggest concerns for me. Playoff contenders have great lines. No two ways about it.

Every freshman lineman bar Ossai is redshirting. We're getting back to sensible roster construction there 

Just now, texifornia said:

Every freshman lineman bar Ossai is redshirting. We're getting back to sensible roster construction there 

This is correct. We are RS'ing 5 OL(including Okafor). Coming into this season Texas had RS'd Rodriguez, Imade, Hudson, and Cosmi along the OL.

We are also RS'ing 5 DL(including Chisholm), coming into this season, Nelson is the only DL that had received a RS.

We are also RS'ing 3 QBs. The last multiple year starter at QB that got to RS was Colt.

It's just amazing how badly this roster was built in the past 5 years, and just what Herman has needed to do to fix the issues.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

This is correct. We are RS'ing 5 OL(including Okafor). Coming into this season Texas had RS'd Rodriguez, Imade, Hudson, and Cosmi along the OL.

We are also RS'ing 5 DL(including Chisholm), coming into this season, Nelson is the only DL that had received a RS.

We are also RS'ing 3 QBs. The last multiple year starter at QB that got to RS was Colt.

It's just amazing how badly this roster was built in the past 5 years, and just what Herman has needed to do to fix the issues.

nice breakdown. The future is good given Sam has 2 years and Ingram 2 or 3. The talent is swelling up from the young ones.I'd like to keep Gary Johnson forever but that's not possible. 

13 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

There might be 1 or 2 players on this team that would start on either of those two teams. 

A lot more than you think would start in ‘05. And that’s wrong in ‘08. 

14 hours ago, Blanton said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I don’t give a fuck about our record, just that we make it to Arlington, and win the fucking conference. 

Fuck the CFP. We would’ve been ass raped had we been matched up with a Clemson or Bama. Play Florida or some shit in the Sugar Bowl, win in dramatic fashion, and set things up for 2019.

Blanton, that is actually a cunning plan.

/blackadder

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

Man that loss stung.  This team is slowly growing.  When wa the last time Texas made a big comeback on the road when being down by 3 scores?  We almost pulled it off which is why it hurts.  I watched every fucking game through the good years and the last 8 fucking miserable years.  We had a good 4 year span where the team would quit after the first quarter and we’d let teams blow us out.  Atleast that mentality has changed.  There are major holes on this team.  Herman has said this repeatedly that we are not as good as other elite teams and cannot out talent people.  We have to show up.  This team over achieved and this was their first time in a hostile road environment.  This is college football, good teams lose on the road on prime time games.  That osu stadium was rocking.  Herman will use this as a learning moment and hopefully this team comes out on fire against tech bc that will be a night game too.  I’m happy that loss stung for Herman. Atleast we have a coach that clearly cares about winning.  Let’s go win 3 of the next 4.  I would be proud of a 9-10 win season for this year.

Hook’em