2018 NBA Draft

Machinator

11 hours ago, Message Board User said:

I think Young goes before the Cavs pick; in fact, I wouldn't be shocked if Orlando takes him (sorry d2o).  This draft is loaded with bigs……..but bigs' value around the league have diminished every year recently.  Young is considered the top PG and voila - in fact, I'll call my shot and say he doesn't last past Orlando.

Kevin Pelton had a recent article equating bigs and centers in the NBA to running backs in the NFL; they're pretty fungible with no discernable effect on a team's winning.  Not saying I necessarily agree with his conclusions, but the feeling that bigs like Ayton, Bagley, JJJ won't really help you go deep in the playoffs is out there.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We already have him in DJ Augustine.

On 6/17/2018 at 11:01 AM, UT Lawnghorn said:

Porter’s not pretending. His back is seriously messed up and taking him is a big risk.

Not according to him. said he was feeling great, woke up, warmed up, did a light workout and decided "his hips felt a little tight", so he canceled his workout and "took a couple days off". dude wants to drop.

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

Not according to him. said he was feeling great, woke up, warmed up, did a light workout and decided "his hips felt a little tight", so he canceled his workout and "took a couple days off". dude wants to drop.

So wait, why are we just automatically believeing him when he says his cancelled workout is no big deal? Wouldn’t it make more sense that his hip was seriously messed up to the point he couldn’t workout, but he tells people it’s no big deal so he doesn’t drop? If porter wants to drop or control where he’s taken, he just limits who gets to see his entire medical records. He doesn’t need to play games with workouts in order to select where he goes; he actually has a more accurate tool to accomplish that. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I like Doncic a lot and think he'll be really good. But I have some definite reservations about him ever being able to be the #1 option on an offense.

While Euroleague is better overall than college, there's no arguing there's a lot less athleticisim on the floor than college.  There's potential for long, athletic wings to give him a lot of trouble. He' struggled some in Euro play when a long wing with NBA athleticism guards him. Now, he could develop and overcome that or always struggle against those types of defenders and need to be more of a second option. Either way, I have trouble seeing his floor as anything lower than a productive NBA player with a long career.  I will say that he'll be a bit of a liability on defensive switches on smaller guys, so his offense needs to be really good to make up for that because he'll absolutely get picked on some on defense.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Doncic needs the ball in his hands and needs to be initiating the offense. He is a witch at running the pick and roll. His range is too good for people to go under the pick so they are going to have to switch which will create a mismatch either for him or the screen setter. I wouldn't worry about him too much on defense. He's got decent size, very good intelligence and plays with good effort. He's never going to have elite athleticism but he can get much stronger.

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I wholeheartedly disagree. Doncic needs the ball in his hands and needs to be initiating the offense. He is a witch at running the pick and roll. His range is too good for people to go under the pick so they are going to have to switch which will create a mismatch either for him or the screen setter. I wouldn't worry about him too much on defense. He's got decent size, very good intelligence and plays with good effort. He's never going to have elite athleticism but he can get much stronger.

Defenses nowadays can switch guys onto him that can all stay in front of him. He can still be effective with his passing and step backs, but whether or not he learns moves to reliably get penetration (like I have with Your Mom) will determine if he becomes the type of player OP talked about.

I think he’ll figure it out and I’d take him #1 overall,  but I can see a scenario where he can’t figure that stuff out and it limits his effectiveness. 

5 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i wouldn't take porter higher than 7th or 8th.  i might end up regretting passing on him, but there are just too many red flags to take him earlier than that.  you really need to hit on a top 5 pick.

My problem with Porter is he’s not ever shown to be anything besides a scorer. Not great on defense, not a great rebounder or passer. He’s reallly going to need to develop other aspects of his game to become a great player and his ability to do that is a complete unknown.  That combined with the injury stuff makes him very risky, IMO. 

7 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Simmons is back at the trade machine and put this one out

I just don't see it if you're any of the teams. It's better than the moronic Barnes+5 for Parson+4 trade that they proposed in a podcast, though. 

what don't you see?  dallas takes on a bad salary, but gets the best player in the draft for it.  sacramento picks up barnes, a future pick and takes the guy they want to take 2nd anyway (even if that's porter instead of bagley) and memphis gets off of parsons' contract and only moves back one spot.

Has it been confirmed Dallas is in the Doncic camp?  Seems a little odd to take two PGs with back to back lottery picks but in position less basketball, everything is on the table I guess.

Looks like Porter won't be sliding past 8, if the medicals spook most teams.

Joe Vardon of the Cleveland Plain Dealer is reporting that the Cavs will select Michael Porter Jr. at No. 8 if he's still on the board when Cleveland is on the clock.

Although Porter is projected to go in the top-7 in most mock drafts, there is a chance he slips due to the concerns surrounding his injury history (he a microdiscectomy of his L3-L4 spinal discs in November). Based on talent and skill set, Porter has a chance to become the best player in this draft class if he can stay healthy.

I don't really think the Mavs are in the Doncic camp, and I don't think Carlisle is in the tanking camp for beyond this year. The Mavs were a much better team than what their record was this season, and they are a year away from getting rid of the Matthews contract. Making that trade would put them more into pure tanking for the next two seasons. 

32 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

I don't really think the Mavs are in the Doncic camp, and I don't think Carlisle is in the tanking camp for beyond this year. The Mavs were a much better team than what their record was this season, and they are a year away from getting rid of the Matthews contract. Making that trade would put them more into pure tanking for the next two seasons. 

Doncic seems like the most Mavs player ever, and I'm ok with that. I'd give up just about anything to get him. He makes basketball fun to watch.

that Van Horn thing is spot on from the clips of him this season.    I think that he was not healthy during the season and he may be better when fully healthy but the comparison stands.   He actually may have hurt his draft stock by playing.

Edited by d2o

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

what don't you see?  dallas takes on a bad salary, but gets the best player in the draft for it.  sacramento picks up barnes, a future pick and takes the guy they want to take 2nd anyway (even if that's porter instead of bagley) and memphis gets off of parsons' contract and only moves back one spot.

I just can't see the Mavs entertaining the idea of Chandler Parsons after all the drama history they have with him

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

My problem with Porter is he’s not ever shown to be anything besides a scorer. 

All the guys have a lot of development left, but an elite 3-level scorer at Porter's size is an insanely coveted player in the NBA. You're right that the injury is a huge deal, but if a team feels good about that, it's easy to see his value after pick 3 or 4.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Hypothetically, would you rather have Porter or Bagley? I think that'll be a tough decision for anyone if the top 3 goes as expected (Ayton, Doncic, JJJ). I think Bagley is much more proven, but his game will be interesting for the NBA. 

If healthy Porter.   As they stand today Bagley.

15 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Hypothetically, would you rather have Porter or Bagley? I think that'll be a tough decision for anyone if the top 3 goes as expected (Ayton, Doncic, JJJ). I think Bagley is much more proven, but his game will be interesting for the NBA. 

I'd take Bagley, I think. I understand his possible limitations in the NBA, but man, his offensive game and athleticism is just so impressive. I don't know how anyone could be certain about his ceiling.

1 hour ago, Ricky Butler said:

All the guys have a lot of development left, but an elite 3-level scorer at Porter's size is an insanely coveted player in the NBA. You're right that the injury is a huge deal, but if a team feels good about that, it's easy to see his value after pick 3 or 4.

I agree. Right around pick #5 is where I'd start to consider taking him. 

4 minutes ago, Dar Adal said:

You could likely get 4 + Parson's Contract for Barnes      Doncic 4, Porter Jr 5 

bwahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahhaha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dar Adal said:

You could likely get 4 + Parson's Contract for Barnes      Doncic 4, Porter Jr 5 

I've seen a ton of talk about the Griz wanting to get rid of Parsons' contract, which is obvious. Why wouldn't they?

But then people keep assuming they're willing to just dump the #4 overall pick to do so. Where are people getting this huge jump from?! That would be an insane amount to give up. 

Just now, UT Lawnghorn said:

I've seen a ton of talk about the Griz wanting to get rid of Parsons' contract, which is obvious. Why wouldn't they?

But then people keep assuming they're willing to just dump the #4 overall pick to do so. Where are people getting this huge jump from?! That would be an insane amount to give up. 

Excatly.  Never gonna happen.    You can get a future 1st to take on a salary dump.    You are not getting a top 5 pick in a loaded draft just to take his contract.    Even worse adding Barnes avg play and huge salary makes it even worse.   What incentive would MEM have to do that deal?

3 minutes ago, Dar Adal said:

Do people not know how bad Parson's contract is?

Yes, but its not THAT bad.     What would MEM gain by doing the deal?   Especially if they take back Barnes?   Again, you can get a future 1st for taking his salary on but you are not getting t a top 5 pick to do so.   They don't even get cap relief in that deal.   

Edited by d2o

4 minutes ago, d2o said:

Excatly.  Never gonna happen.    You can get a future 1st to take on a salary dump.    You are not getting a top 5 pick in a loaded draft just to take his contract.    Even worse adding Barnes avg play and huge salary makes it even worse.   What incentive would MEM have to do that deal?

Barnes is a better player than most people give him credit for, and he’s still fairly young. Barnes and a future protected 1st or Barnes and Powell/Wes should do the trick.

3 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

Barnes is a better player than most people give him credit for, and he’s still fairly young. Barnes and a future protected 1st or Barnes and Powell/Wes should do the trick.

Alright brah.   So they are gonna let you dump your trash AND give you the #4 pick just to take Parsons?    Cmon man.

Edited by d2o

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

Alright brah.   So they are gonna let you dump your trash AND give you the #4 pick just to take Parsons?    Cmon man.

Trading our 2nd (arguably 1st) best player isn’t “Dumping Trash” lol. And Powell is a nice young piece too. Something tells me you haven’t watched many Mav games.

Those players along with Parson’s shit contract may be worth it for Memphis.

7 minutes ago, Dar Adal said:

Parsons contract isn't that bad and there's only two years left. Next year, it could become an asset as an expriring contract to another team. Plus, who the hell are the Grizzlies gonna sign even if they dumped that money? No big time free agent is going there. Dumping Parson's deal is only valuable if there's someone you need to sign with that money.

Regarding your trade, Parsons and Barnes both have two years left at $24-25 mil. So the Griz would not get any cap relief and would only get Barnes for the #4 pick. That is a god awful trade. Barnes is arguably a net negative when you factor in his contract. 

Lol. Barnes might be worth a late first to some teams who have no cap space but need/want to improve, but he's not very good. Pretty much every advanced metric says he's an average to below average player AND he's being paid $25 million per year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

Trading our 2nd (arguably 1st) best player isn’t “Dumping Trash” lol. And Powell is a nice young piece too. Something tells me you haven’t watched many Mav games.

the trash comment was about Wes.   And if Barnes is your 2nd or arguably your best player that says far more than I can in this post.

Anyway, MEM was clearly tanking last yr.   What does Barnes/Wes do for them?    I mean it doesn't even clear cap room if they could find a good FA to take their money.

Edited by d2o

Uhhh, Barnes VORP (like WAR in baseball): -0.1, he had an Ortg of 105 and a Drtg of 111, which is a net of negative 6 points per 100 possessions. He had a WS/48 of .70. League average is .100.   He's not good and he's massively overpaid. Just because he's the Mavs 2nd best player doesn't mean he's valuable. He's a net negative, especially with his contract factored in. 

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

2 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Parsons contract isn't that bad and there's only two years left. Next year, it could become an asset as an expriring contract to another team. Plus, who the hell are the Grizzlies gonna sign even if they dumped that money? No big time free agent is going there. Dumping Parson's deal is only valuable if there's someone you need to sign with that money.

Regarding your trade, Parsons and Barnes both have two years left at $24-25 mil. So the Griz would not get any cap relief and would only get Barnes for the #4 pick. That is a god awful trade. Barnes is arguably a net negative when you factor in his contract. 

Lol. Barnes might be worth a late first to some teams who have no cap space but need/want to improve, but he's not very good. Pretty much every advanced metric says he's an average to below average player AND he's being paid $25 million per year.

Stop slapping me in the face with logic - I want Doncic and Porter Jr !   Now 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Dar Adal said:

Do you know how bad Barnes' contract is?  They're basically the same contract except for the PTO, which Barnes almost certainly won't use.....

So since there is no cost savings, it's basically is Harrison Barnes worth the 4th pick?  That's ludicrous.

• Like 1

Just now, immortal13 said:

Lebron not telling the Cavs his intentions prior to draft

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/report-cavs-wont-know-lebron-james-intentions-nba-draft/

Yea, that's a really tough position..... I would plan like he's not coming back if he's not going to help in deciding for the future.  Nothing more you can do.

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yea, that's a really tough position..... I would plan like he's not coming back if he's not going to help in deciding for the future.  Nothing more you can do.

There's no way he's coming back. Dick move of him to not tell them, but they should know anyways.  Plus, if Lebron was coming back, he'd want input on who they pick, or more likely, want them to trade it for a vet. He definitely wouldn't be silent on the topic.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn