2018 NBA Draft

Machinator

2 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Translation: Neither myself nor any other media member has a clue what the Kings will do, so I'll list all three of the guys they might pick in hopes of throwing out the right name a day before the draft. 

This tweet along with Woj's Atlanta tweet yesterday makes me think SAC and ATL are trying to lure teams to trade up with them.

3 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Translation: Neither myself nor any other media member has a clue what the Kings will do, so I'll list all three of the guys they might pick in hopes of throwing out the right name a day before the draft. 

Welcome to pre draft  "reporting".  

No one knows shit, and the things they do get from front offices or agents have an agenda at best or are flat out lies at worst.  

21 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

This tweet along with Woj's Atlanta tweet yesterday makes me think SAC and ATL are trying to lure teams to trade up with them.

I don’t think there’s any doubt Atlanta knows Dallas wants Doncic and is hoping they can either get them to overpay or have another team jump to the 3.

26 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

I don’t think there’s any doubt Atlanta knows Dallas wants Doncic and is hoping they can either get them to overpay or have another team jump to the 3.

I'm all for overpaying in the NBA. It's a star driven league. If a pick hits, you win.

36 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i just can't believe sacramento is not going to take doncic.  i mean, fucking up is what the kings do, but still.

If they're not, they should be telling everyone who will listen they're going to take him regardless and then trade down and accrue more assets.  I'm skeptical of all the noise because it's so specific.  Who's in charge of organizational security with all of these teams?  Michael Cohen?

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If they're not, they should be telling everyone who will listen they're going to take him regardless and then trade down and accrue more assets.  I'm skeptical of all the noise because it's so specific.  Who's in charge of organizational security with all of these teams?  Michael Cohen?

Exactly

48 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i just can't believe sacramento is not going to take doncic.  i mean, fucking up is what the kings do, but still.

I wouldn't assume that. There's pretty much no national reporter with sources in Sacramento. They're all just blatantly guessing. For instance, Givony of Draft Express first reported the Kings weren't interested in Doncic. His basis was that they didn't go to scout Doncic. Turns out, he had bad info and he was dead wrong.  He had to take back that part of the report, but kept his line that the Kings weren't interested and a lot of other national guys piggybacked on it.  

Well, fast forward to yesterday, and it 's been confirmed that not onyl did Vlade and Vivek watch Doncic play, but they also  had dinner with him like two weeks ago and neither Givony nor any of the other national guys had a clue about it.   https://www.sactownroyalty.com/2018/6/16/17470146/vivek-ranadive-and-vlade-divac-met-with-luka-doncic-in-spain-sacramento-kings-draft-rumors

Here is my mock based on what I would do if I was running each franchise (putting spoiler tags around it because it's long):

1. Spoiler

1. Phoenix - Luka Doncic - Guard, Real Madrid.  I think he's the best player in the draft and the Suns don't really have anyone of note that projects to be an All-Star lead guard.  Enter Doncic.  With a core of Doncic, Booker and Josh Jackson (who are ages 19, 21 and 21), Phoenix would be set on the perimeter for years going forward and could focus on the front court in free agency.
    2. Sacramento - Mohamed Bamba - Center, Texas.  I think that, at worst, Bamba is an elite defensive anchor who can go up and catch lobs on offense.  At best, he's some sort of hybrid of Joel Embiid and Anthony Davis.  Bamba has the most upside in the draft and as an added bonus, will still be valuable even if he never quite realizes all of that potential.
    3. Atlanta - DeAndre Ayton - Center, Arizona.  Ayton will score in the NBA, no question.  But how will he be on the defensive side of the ball?  That question is what separates him from Mo Bamba in my eyes, but Ayton should still be a tremendous building block for a team with no real foundational building block. 
    4. Memphis - Jaren Jackson Jr - Forward, Michigan State. Jackson would be a great get for Memphis because he could play alongside Marc Gasol and also in place of him when the Grizzlies want to go smaller.  A tough defensive player who the grit 'n grind Grizzlies fans would love to support.
    5. Dallas - Wendell Carter Jr - Forward, Duke.  I'd take Carter over his Duke teammate here because he's a better defender and I think he projects to be a better shooter than Bagley as well.
    6. Orlando - Marvin Bagley - Forward, Duke. I'm not sure how great the fit is with the Magic, but when you are as bad as they are, I'm taking best player available and not worrying about fit or positions.  
    7. Chicago - Michael Porter Jr - Wing, Missouri.  To me, this is the first spot where it makes any sense whatsoever to take Porter.  If I'm the Bulls, I'm letting it be known that pick #7 is up for grabs for any of the teams that may want Porter.  My ideal trade here would be Porter to the Clippers for picks #12 and 13.
    8. Cleveland - Miles Bridges - Forward, Michigan State.  Tough Spot here not knowing what Lebron is going to do, I'm simply taking the guy I think has the best chance of becoming an All-Star in case Lebron leaves and I have to start from scratch.
    9. New York - Kevin Knox - Wing, Kentucky.  Knox is shooting up the draft boards and is a very intriguing prospect.  Projects as a versatile 3 & D wing who can defend multiple positions.  He and Mikal Bridges are the two best players in that mold on the board right now and Knox is 3 years younger and the nicks are not in win now mode.
    10. Philadelphia - Mikal Bridges - Wing, Villanova.  The 6ers, however, are in win now mode and it is simply not possible to have too many 3 & D wings on your roster.
    11. Charlotte - Trae Young - PG, Oklahoma. With Kemba Walker headed in to the last year of his deal, Charlotte needs to think about a future that may not include him.  I actually like Collin Sexton better as a prospect, but there is no denying that Young has more star potential.  In a place like Charlotte, where you aren't going to sign the big name free agents, I think you have to go for the home runs in the draft.
    12. LA Clippers - Zhaire Smith - Wing, Texas Tech.  I'm not exactly sure what Smith is in the NBA, but I'm taking a chance on him given his insane athleticism and defensive potential.  I also like his fit alongside guys like Montrezl Harrel and DeAndre Jordan.
    13. LA Clippers - Shai Gilgeous-Alexander - PG, Kentucky.  Again, I like Sexton better as a prospect, but SGA fits better with what I'm trying to do with my roster here.  If I come out of the draft with SGA and Zhaire Smith, I'm feeling pretty good about my perimeter defense going forward (and that doesn't even take into account Patrick Beverley).
    14. Denver - Collin Sexton - PG, Alabama.  The Nuggets desperately need a PG and in this scenario, they get my favorite of the PG prospects.  I don't think he has the All-Star potential that Trae Young has, nor as he as intriguing as SGA, but he is a rock solid lead guard who I think is one of the most likely players in the draft to have a 10+ year career in the NBA.
    15. Washington - Lonnie Walker - Wing, Miami.  It's going to become a theme here, but everything being equal roster wise, I'm always going to go with a guy who projects as a 3 & D wing.
    16. Phoenix - Robert Williams - Forward, Texas A&M.  Since I took Doncic first overall, I'm addressing my front court depth here.
    17. Milwaukee - Kevin Huerter - SG, Maryland.  Perhaps the best pure shooter in the draft and has good size.  The kind of player I want surrounding Giannis. 
    18. San Antonio - Troy Brown - SG Oregon.  I love the pairing next to Dejounte Murray.  Another good defensive guard who can handle the ball and play off of it.
    19. Atlanta - Khyri Thomas - Wing, Creighton.  One of my favorite prospects in the draft.  Another 3 & D guy who can guard multiple positions effectively.  
    20. Minnesota - Donte Divincenzo - SG, Villanova.  The Wolves need scoring and 3 point shooting and Divincenzo provides that in bunches.
    21. Utah - Jacob Evans - Wing, Cincinnati.  The Jazz are pretty set and guard and center so adding another 3 & D guy who is in the mold of Jae Crowder feels like the smart move here.  Evans busts his ass defensively and fits in very well with the culture Quinn Snyder has created in Utah. 
    22. Chicago - Anfernee Simmons - SG IMG Academy.  I am not in any hurry to win if I am the Bulls and I've already had at least one lottery pick (again, I'd try like hell to make it two if Porter was there at #7) so I feel like I can take a chance on a guy who will probably spend a lot of time in the G league next season.
    23. Indiana - Josh Okogie - SG, Georgia Tech.  The Pacers are in a good spot going in to the offseason, coming off a surprising season, lead by a legit Star player and one of the few teams in possession of cap space.  Taking a solid perimeter defensive prospect here feels like a good move.  
    24. Portland - Melvin Frazier - Wing, Tulane.  Portland has a lot of redundant wings already on the roster.  The hope here is that drafting a guy like Frazier makes it easier to move one of those bigger salary guys without too much of a drop off in production.
    25. LA Lakers - Elie Okobo - PG, France.  I'm not going to pretend I know anything about Okobo besides what I've read about him online.  He projects as a scoring 1 who can shoot the ball and while I still like Lonzo Ball, that ain't him.
    26. Philadelphia - Grayson Allen - SG, Duke.  JJ Redick is probably coming back, but he is getting a bit long in the tooth and you can never have enough shooting.  Think he can play next to Simmons long term.
    27. Boston - Rawle Alkins - SG, Arizona.  Another defensive guard in the mold of Marcus Smart, but projects to be a better shooter.  Feels like the type of player who fits in with the current Celtics roster and can provide insurance in case someone goes down or is traded.
    28. Golden State - Chandler Hutchison - Wing, Boise State.  The Warriors do not have a lot of depth on the perimeter.  Hutchison is probably the best wing left on the board.
    29. Brooklyn - Keita Bates-Diop - Wing, Ohio State.  The Nets just need good players and although he's probably not going to be spectacular, KBD should be a solid pro.
    30. Atlanta - Jalen Brunson - PG, Villanova.  I've already added two guys who provide major upside.  Now give me a guy who can lead them. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

Here is my mock based on what I would do if I was running each franchise (putting spoiler tags around it because it's long):

1.   Reveal hidden contents

1. Phoenix - Luka Doncic - Guard, Real Madrid.  I think he's the best player in the draft and the Suns don't really have anyone of note that projects to be an All-Star lead guard.  Enter Doncic.  With a core of Doncic, Booker and Josh Jackson (who are ages 19, 21 and 21), Phoenix would be set on the perimeter for years going forward and could focus on the front court in free agency.
    2. Sacramento - Mohamed Bamba - Center, Texas.  I think that, at worst, Bamba is an elite defensive anchor who can go up and catch lobs on offense.  At best, he's some sort of hybrid of Joel Embiid and Anthony Davis.  Bamba has the most upside in the draft and as an added bonus, will still be valuable even if he never quite realizes all of that potential.
    3. Atlanta - DeAndre Ayton - Center, Arizona.  Ayton will score in the NBA, no question.  But how will he be on the defensive side of the ball?  That question is what separates him from Mo Bamba in my eyes, but Ayton should still be a tremendous building block for a team with no real foundational building block. 
    4. Memphis - Jaren Jackson Jr - Forward, Michigan State. Jackson would be a great get for Memphis because he could play alongside Marc Gasol and also in place of him when the Grizzlies want to go smaller.  A tough defensive player who the grit 'n grind Grizzlies fans would love to support.
    5. Dallas - Wendell Carter Jr - Forward, Duke.  I'd take Carter over his Duke teammate here because he's a better defender and I think he projects to be a better shooter than Bagley as well.
    6. Orlando - Marvin Bagley - Forward, Duke. I'm not sure how great the fit is with the Magic, but when you are as bad as they are, I'm taking best player available and not worrying about fit or positions.  
    7. Chicago - Michael Porter Jr - Wing, Missouri.  To me, this is the first spot where it makes any sense whatsoever to take Porter.  If I'm the Bulls, I'm letting it be known that pick #7 is up for grabs for any of the teams that may want Porter.  My ideal trade here would be Porter to the Clippers for picks #12 and 13.
    8. Cleveland - Miles Bridges - Forward, Michigan State.  Tough Spot here not knowing what Lebron is going to do, I'm simply taking the guy I think has the best chance of becoming an All-Star in case Lebron leaves and I have to start from scratch.
    9. New York - Kevin Knox - Wing, Kentucky.  Knox is shooting up the draft boards and is a very intriguing prospect.  Projects as a versatile 3 & D wing who can defend multiple positions.  He and Mikal Bridges are the two best players in that mold on the board right now and Knox is 3 years younger and the nicks are not in win now mode.
    10. Philadelphia - Mikal Bridges - Wing, Villanova.  The 6ers, however, are in win now mode and it is simply not possible to have too many 3 & D wings on your roster.
    11. Charlotte - Trae Young - PG, Oklahoma. With Kemba Walker headed in to the last year of his deal, Charlotte needs to think about a future that may not include him.  I actually like Collin Sexton better as a prospect, but there is no denying that Young has more star potential.  In a place like Charlotte, where you aren't going to sign the big name free agents, I think you have to go for the home runs in the draft.
    12. LA Clippers - Zhaire Smith - Wing, Texas Tech.  I'm not exactly sure what Smith is in the NBA, but I'm taking a chance on him given his insane athleticism and defensive potential.  I also like his fit alongside guys like Montrezl Harrel and DeAndre Jordan.
    13. LA Clippers - Shai Gilgeous-Alexander - PG, Kentucky.  Again, I like Sexton better as a prospect, but SGA fits better with what I'm trying to do with my roster here.  If I come out of the draft with SGA and Zhaire Smith, I'm feeling pretty good about my perimeter defense going forward (and that doesn't even take into account Patrick Beverley).
    14. Denver - Collin Sexton - PG, Alabama.  The Nuggets desperately need a PG and in this scenario, they get my favorite of the PG prospects.  I don't think he has the All-Star potential that Trae Young has, nor as he as intriguing as SGA, but he is a rock solid lead guard who I think is one of the most likely players in the draft to have a 10+ year career in the NBA.
    15. Washington - Lonnie Walker - Wing, Miami.  It's going to become a theme here, but everything being equal roster wise, I'm always going to go with a guy who projects as a 3 & D wing.
    16. Phoenix - Robert Williams - Forward, Texas A&M.  Since I took Doncic first overall, I'm addressing my front court depth here.
    17. Milwaukee - Kevin Huerter - SG, Maryland.  Perhaps the best pure shooter in the draft and has good size.  The kind of player I want surrounding Giannis. 
    18. San Antonio - Troy Brown - SG Oregon.  I love the pairing next to Dejounte Murray.  Another good defensive guard who can handle the ball and play off of it.
    19. Atlanta - Khyri Thomas - Wing, Creighton.  One of my favorite prospects in the draft.  Another 3 & D guy who can guard multiple positions effectively.  
    20. Minnesota - Donte Divincenzo - SG, Villanova.  The Wolves need scoring and 3 point shooting and Divincenzo provides that in bunches.
    21. Utah - Jacob Evans - Wing, Cincinnati.  The Jazz are pretty set and guard and center so adding another 3 & D guy who is in the mold of Jae Crowder feels like the smart move here.  Evans busts his ass defensively and fits in very well with the culture Quinn Snyder has created in Utah. 
    22. Chicago - Anfernee Simmons - SG IMG Academy.  I am not in any hurry to win if I am the Bulls and I've already had at least one lottery pick (again, I'd try like hell to make it two if Porter was there at #7) so I feel like I can take a chance on a guy who will probably spend a lot of time in the G league next season.
    23. Indiana - Josh Okogie - SG, Georgia Tech.  The Pacers are in a good spot going in to the offseason, coming off a surprising season, lead by a legit Star player and one of the few teams in possession of cap space.  Taking a solid perimeter defensive prospect here feels like a good move.  
    24. Portland - Melvin Frazier - Wing, Tulane.  Portland has a lot of redundant wings already on the roster.  The hope here is that drafting a guy like Frazier makes it easier to move one of those bigger salary guys without too much of a drop off in production.
    25. LA Lakers - Elie Okobo - PG, France.  I'm not going to pretend I know anything about Okobo besides what I've read about him online.  He projects as a scoring 1 who can shoot the ball and while I still like Lonzo Ball, that ain't him.
    26. Philadelphia - Grayson Allen - SG, Duke.  JJ Redick is probably coming back, but he is getting a bit long in the tooth and you can never have enough shooting.  Think he can play next to Simmons long term.
    27. Boston - Rawle Alkins - SG, Arizona.  Another defensive guard in the mold of Marcus Smart, but projects to be a better shooter.  Feels like the type of player who fits in with the current Celtics roster and can provide insurance in case someone goes down or is traded.
    28. Golden State - Chandler Hutchison - Wing, Boise State.  The Warriors do not have a lot of depth on the perimeter.  Hutchison is probably the best wing left on the board.
    29. Brooklyn - Keita Bates-Diop - Wing, Ohio State.  The Nets just need good players and although he's probably not going to be spectacular, KBD should be a solid pro.
    30. Atlanta - Jalen Brunson - PG, Villanova.  I've already added two guys who provide major upside.  Now give me a guy who can lead them. 

Interesting. Thanks.

32 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I don't think theres ever been draft day action until the picks start and teams start drafting for other teams

It's happened a few times but generally the trades are made during the draft basically trading draft rights of players after they are picked.

Interesting.... interesting.....

Michael Porter Jr. has fallen to 12th in ESPN's latest mock draft.

According to Jonathan Givony, "Concerns about the long-term outlook of Porter's health following back and hip issues have him potentially sliding out of the top 10." While he has the talent of a top-5 pick, his durability has obviously raised a lot of red flags. MPJ said recently that a couple teams broached the idea of him taking a couple months off after the draft, but the Clippers should be thrilled if he land in their laps at 12.

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

What don't you get?  This is all just rumor too....

The over-valuing of Young, for starters. But even if they're 100% convinced that he's their guy, couldn't they move down a little farther and get more than just turning two years of a terrible contract into one for their efforts?

Edited by aggie08

Just now, aggie08 said:

The over-valuing of Young, for starters. But even if they're 100% convinced that he's their guy, couldn't they move down a little further and get more than just turning two years of a terrible contract into one?

I don't think Young falls below 6/7.  I agree with you on Young, as he'll be a defensive liability but I'm not sure Matthews gets slid in there without another asset coming over.  Remember, that's coming from the Dallas perspective.  The Hawks GM is from the Warriors management tree, so not shocking he would like a small guard with crazy range.

Say what you want about Trae Young but there's no mystery to him.  He'll be a 20/8 guy at PG for years.  Might suck on defense but so does half the league.  Taking Michael Porter and his old man back ahead of him would be absurd.  Back problems never get better over time.  Lulz at Mizzou for paying $300K so he could play in two games.

4 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Say what you want about Trae Young but there's no mystery to him.  He'll be a 20/8 guy at PG for years.  Might suck on defense but so does half the league.  Taking Michael Porter and his old man back ahead of him would be absurd.  Back problems never get better over time.  Lulz at Mizzou for paying $300K so he could play in two games.

I hope Trae succeeds, despite the fact that he's a Sooner, because players like him make the NBA more fun to watch.