2018 NBA Draft

Machinator

on the ringer's nba draft podcast they said that it's out there that denver would give up the #14 pick to get off the last year of kenneth faried's contract (they said it's like $13.7 million).  a team with cap room like dallas or atlanta or sacramento should jump all over that.  the #14 pick for 1 year of paying faried is great value.

Why would Denver do that?  $14 million isn't all that much, even if the guy never plays.  They could even use the stretch to spread it over 2 years if they waive him.  Unless Denver is hitting up against the tax level or are sort confident they can sign someone better with the cap space it creates.  (I have no idea their salary situation and don't care enough to look it up)

15 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Why would Denver do that?  $14 million isn't all that much, even if the guy never plays.  They could even use the stretch to spread it over 2 years if they waive him.  Unless Denver is hitting up against the tax level or are sort confident they can sign someone better with the cap space it creates.  (I have no idea their salary situation and don't care enough to look it up)

I would imagine it would have to that they have someone they think they can sign which require the space

The thought is Denver wouldn't sell the pick outright but be interested in moving down with a team interested in moving up and taking on Faried, Arthur or Chandler's salary so the Nuggets can avoid the tax line.  So maybe move down into the early 20's for 14 and Faried.  Or maybe acquire a lower salaried player at a position of need.

On 5/31/2018 at 7:16 PM, TommyGufano said:

Am I the only one who thinks that seems like an insanely high price tag? I thought most NBA fans/ppl were more in on Jaylen than I am, but evidently not. Cuz I'd turn into the Randy Marsh pic if I were GM for Sac or ATL and was offered that package for my pick

Ainge values assets way too much to do that. Both Brown and the Kings pick would arguably be more valuable  than (or at least close to) the pick that selects Bamba. I can't see him trading both of those plus Rozier. Especially when the Celts are in win now mode starting next year and Bamba will take a while to develop.

2 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

they said they'll need to re-up jokic and that will put them right at the luxury tax.

2 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Ainge values assets way too much to do that. Both Brown and the Kings pick would arguably be more valuable  than (or at least close to) the pick that selects Bamba. I can't see him trading both of those plus Rozier. Especially when the Celts are in win now mode starting next year and Bamba will take a while to develop.

Bamba doesn't necessarily have to develop to contribute next yr.     Just be a lane presence, rebound and catch the occasional lob

Edited by d2o

The Clippers may try to move up to get Luka Doncic, according to Shams Charania of Yahoo! Sports.

The Clippers have the No. 12 and 13 picks, but even those two picks likely won't be enough to get Doncic. The Slovenian guard is also expected to talk with the Suns either in person or over the phone, but almost all signs point to Doncic falling in the 2-5 range.

This comes on the back of an Athletic article which says Memphis is open to selling the #4 pick for a big salary dump in Parsons.  They'd get something back but it'd probably be a future pick and/or current player who's within their budget.  I still remember when Dallas signed Parsons away from Houston and the shit storm it created on the old site.  Now..... he's baggage nobody wants.  

1 minute ago, RexWilson said:

I make that trade so fast if I am Dallas.

Supposedly there are more teams involved, vying for the pick.  Additionally, Dallas would have to give up other assets.  Speculated like a future first rounder or someone like Powell.... But I agree.  For a team like Dallas who is at least 2 years away from the playoffs and probably more from contending, I think it'd be worth it in this draft.  Get two building blocks now.  

I think Memphis wants to use Parsons in a trade down, not a trade out of the draft or into another draft.

It might be worth it for LAC to move up and take him. It would not be worth it for us to move up one spot and take that contract.

With the Boston rumor and now this, I think media are leading fans on and getting their hopes up on some silliness.

Edited by fellside
Fix

19 minutes ago, fellside said:

I think Memphis wants to use Parsons in a trade down, not a trade out of the draft or into another draft.

It might be worth it for LAC to move up and take him. It would not be worth it for us to move up one spot and take that contract.

With the Boston rumor and now this, I think media are leading fans on and getting their hopes up on some silliness.

wonder if the clippers think it'd be worth flipping danilo + picks 12 & 13 for parsons and the #4 pick?  wonder if memphis would be interested in that?  gallinari is due almost as much as parsons over the next two years, but i guess isn't hurt quite as often.

10 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

This comes on the back of an Athletic article which says Memphis is open to selling the #4 pick for a big salary dump in Parsons.  They'd get something back but it'd probably be a future pick and/or current player who's within their budget.  I still remember when Dallas signed Parsons away from Houston and the shit storm it created on the old site.  Now..... he's baggage nobody wants.  

It still amazes me that Parsons that has got not one but TWO massive deals without ever really doing shit.

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

he probably wants to drop past a bunch of the shit teams who are picking in the top 10-12.

I anyways wondered why players don't do this more.   I guess there's some pride in going #1 or whatever,  but the money isn't that much different between a 1 and 15, while the team quality is very different.   

32 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I anyways wondered why players don't do this more.   I guess there's some pride in going #1 or whatever,  but the money isn't that much different between a 1 and 15, while the team quality is very different.   

Fultz will make $24M more than Justin Jackson over 4 years if each have team options picked up. I think that's a lot of money, but maybe that's just me.

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Taking a player high is a bigger investment for a team, they will do whatever they can to see it work out, someone picked outside the lottery it's pretty much see ya if the opportunity to move on occurs.

On 6/15/2018 at 8:11 AM, d2o said:

It still amazes me that Parsons that has got not one but TWO massive deals without ever really doing shit.

To the tune of $78 million, with another $50 million on the table over the next two seasons.

9 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

yeah you need to have a look at the rookie pay schedule

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-salaries/nba-rookie-salary-scale-by-draft-year/

On 6/3/2018 at 2:12 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

They are going to have to pony up to keep Jokic, Barton, and Wilson Chandler, and they are at $93M.

Edited by HtownHorn

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

What Kentucky player has lead a NBA team far in the playoffs as the #1 player, especially from the Calipari years. As they get drafted in the lottery a lot.

Anthony Davis would be the guy folks think about first...... John Wall and KAT are others.  I don't necessarily disagree considering how much talent has flown through that program but is there another program which comes close to 3?

Edited by Patrick Bateman

20 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

What Kentucky player has lead a NBA team far in the playoffs as the #1 player, especially from the Calipari years. As they get drafted in the lottery a lot.

that's moving the goalpost an awfully long way from "do almost nothing in the nba."

23 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Being lottery picks and landing on shitty teams may have a little to do with that

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

An interesting nugget in an otherwise silly debate is Kentucky is arguably the greatest program in NCAA history yet if you take out Calipari's guys, who are their greatest players on the professional level?  Do you have to go back to the fucking 50's?

Rondo, Prince, Riley, Walker, Issel

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

It's why so many Kentucky players go early and do almost nothing in the NBA.

32 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

1. Could you move the goalposts any further? Literally, yes. Realistically, no.  This is a stupid way to look at how many players from a school have been successful considering only 4 different teams have won a title in the last 7 years and most of Cal's players have barely hit their primes. Anthony Davis was the second best player in the league this year and could easily be the #1 player on a title team.

2. I would take a roster of AD, Cousins, KAT, Rondo, Wall, Booker, De'Aaron Fox, Jamal Murray, Adebayo, Julius Randle, Willey Cauley Stein, and Trey Lyles over like 90% of NBA rosters right now.

20 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

that's moving the goalpost an awfully long way from "do almost nothing in the nba."

That's not moving the goalposts at all. Stats in the NBA are easy to obtain, championships are not. If you give a shit about stats then you I don't know what to tell you. No one talks about Karl Malone in the same breath as Jordan, Lebron, and Kobe.

5 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

1. Could you move the goalposts any further? Literally, yes. Realistically, no.  This is a stupid way to look at how many players from a school have been successful considering only 4 different teams have won a title in the last 7 years and most of Cal's players have barely hit their primes. Anthony Davis was the second best player in the league this year and could easily be the #1 player on a title team.

2. I would take a roster of AD, Cousins, KAT, Rondo, Wall, Booker, De'Aaron Fox, Jamal Murray, Adebayo, Julius Randle, Willey Cauley Stein, and Trey Lyles over like 90% of NBA rosters right now.

and you would probably not win a damn thing.