2018 NBA Draft

Machinator

58 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Per B/R, the Grizzlies are dangling the 4th pick around.  

They need to be in full rebuild mode.   Not sure why they would be trying to trade the pick and not Marc Gasol

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Id probably take a waiver on Porter over Luka if Im Sac. I dont trust euro guards, especially if they draw comparisons to Hedo Turkoglu and Toni Kukoc on NBAdraft.net

I was on record at scattybevo.com that I thought Doncic would be a star. I'm usually fairly skeptical of the foreign players but I was on board with Porzingis and I'm on board with Luka. The kid can really, really play.  He's 6'8" with ridiculous range, great handles, fantastic vision and he's unselfish. He's the type of player who makes the game easier for everybody else on the court.  

The only thing he has in common with those guys is that he's a Euro. Niether Hedo or Kukoc could handle the ball like Doncic. Hedo had really good vision but Doncic is leaps and bounds ahead of him at creating offense. If I were to make a comparison, it would be to a non-cracked out Lloyd Daniels. Seriously, sort of.

17 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

that...would be dumb.  Ayton might be the guy Oden never developed into. tough to pass up that size

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Id probably take a waiver on Porter over Luka if Im Sac. I dont trust euro guards, especially if they draw comparisons to Hedo Turkoglu and Toni Kukoc on NBAdraft.net

Idk if you're just way low on Doncic or what but I could not be further opposite on evals. ha.  1. Ayton has bust written all over him. Yes, he has physical talent, but he sucked on defense in college. Very few guys become good on D in the pros if they sucked in college. KAT was actually fairly good on D in college and now he sucks at it in the NBA. Ayton has a short wingspan which won't help him make an impact on D. Also, he doesn't really take over games the way you want to see from such a physically dominant player. I can see Ayton being a guy who gets stats and highlights but doesn't make his team a whole lot better, or at least not a driving force in his team being a top 4 seed. Also, teams like the Celtics, Warriors and the Rockets are making it hard for big men to stay on the floor.  The Center position is becoming less and less valuable as the game evolves. 

Taking Porter over Doncic would be insane, IMO. Porter can score. That's about it. He's not a good dribbler, and would have to improve a ton in that area to become a #1 scoring option for a team. He doesn't score efficiently; he jacks up a bunch of jumpers at not great clips. He's not very physical, doesn't rebound or defend all that well. And on top of all that, he's got serous back issues.

Meanwhile, Doncic is playing in a league that plays way better basketball than college teams averaging 21, 7.6 TRB, 6.7 AST per 36 minutes while shooting 46/31/80 at the age of 18. I get people have concerns about his athleticism (and the athleticism that is currently guarding him), but he's incredible in the PnR, averaging 1.258 points per possesion, and knowing how running the PnR doesn't require great athleticism.  He's 6'8 and could still grow some. His length will help make up for lack of athleticisim on D. 

I'd be picking Doncic #1 without any hesitation, but the range of opinions is what makes drafts fun.

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Maybe he's like Peja or Drazen???  Rudy Fernandez?  Kirilenko?  What other white Euro's can we compare him too?

4 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

you shouldn't use nbadraft.net for anything.

the ringer has his comparisons as james harden, "jumbo" manu ginobili and tyreke evans.  hard to believe they were able to compare him to 2 non euro guards i know.

also, real madrid is playing right now: http://f1livegp.stream/soccer/football.html

3 hours ago, d2o said:

They need to be in full rebuild mode.   Not sure why they would be trying to trade the pick and not Marc Gasol

Maybe they want to move down, not out of the draft and acquire more picks?  I think Gasol is gone by the deadline unless he says he wants to stay..... They need to trade Conley too but his contact is tough to movie.

11 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Maybe they want to move down, not out of the draft and acquire more picks?  I think Gasol is gone by the deadline unless he says he wants to stay..... They need to trade Conley too but his contact is tough to movie.

Maybe so.   

The Conley deal could be the most untradable deal in the league.   Hard to find a worse one.

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Didn’t they give Chandler Parsons a max contract the same year as Conley?  Is Parsons even still in the league?

yes and yes, he is still with MEM but has played all of about 10 gms (maybe) since signing the deal

50 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

you shouldn't use nbadraft.net for anything.

the ringer has his comparisons as james harden, "jumbo" manu ginobili and tyreke evans.  hard to believe they were able to compare him to 2 non euro guards i know.

also, real madrid is playing right now: http://f1livegp.stream/soccer/football.html

I also have a personal opinion that drafting a euro star, especially a guard,  does not work out 

26 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I also have a personal opinion that drafting a euro star, especially a guard,  does not work out 

He's not a guard. He's 6'8, 220 lbs.  He's a wing and a big one at that, which is part of why concerns about his quickness/athleticism won't matter as much. He's 18-19 so he could easily grow some still.  He'll be a 3 or a small ball 4 and he's strong enough to hold up at the 4.

1 hour ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

He's not a guard. He's 6'8, 220 lbs.  He's a wing and a big one at that, which is part of why concerns about his quickness/athleticism won't matter as much. He's 18-19 so he could easily grow some still.  He'll be a 3 or a small ball 4 and he's strong enough to hold up at the 4.

I thought I saw he wanted to play PG

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I thought I saw he wanted to play PG

Strict positions in basketball really don't matter these days. Positions are more about who you guard than what you do on offense and he'll be guarding 3s and 4s.  Likely whatever team he ends up on he'll be either the primary or secondary ball handler, but I have no idea how that has anything to do with him being a euro guard, thereby making him more likely to bust like you said above. 

I was on record at scattybevo.com that I thought Doncic would be a star. I'm usually fairly skeptical of the foreign players but I was on board with Porzingis and I'm on board with Luka. The kid can really, really play.  He's 6'8" with ridiculous range, great handles, fantastic vision and he's unselfish. He's the type of player who makes the game easier for everybody else on the court.  
The only thing he has in common with those guys is that he's a Euro. Niether Hedo or Kukoc could handle the ball like Doncic. Hedo had really good vision but Doncic is leaps and bounds ahead of him at creating offense. If I were to make a comparison, it would be to a non-cracked out Lloyd Daniels. Seriously, sort of.
Tony was pretty good with the ball, Mitch. That's why his nickname was the 'Waiter'. He just never really got to display the whole package in Chicago.

Draft Trade Scenario

Phoenix gives #1 to Atlanta

Atlanta gives #3, 19 and 30 to Phoenix

It almost works out on the value chart:

#1 = 4000

#3 = 2670, #19 = 1030, #30 = 470

Phoenix would have the #3, #16, #19, #30 and #31

I would do it both ways, but I'm crazy ;)

6 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Draft Trade Scenario

#1 = 4000

I'd like to see it just for the drama.   Both teams need a LOT of talent.   I don't know if ATL should be giving up all those assets for just 1 though

7 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Draft Trade Scenario

#1 = 4000

Id jump all over that if i was Phoenix.  

11 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Draft Trade Scenario

#1 = 4000

This issue is it's pretty much unrealistic to draft and develop 5 first round rookies.... because they would all come up at the same time for extensions and no way could Phoenix pay all of them if they became effective players (even 3 would be really difficult).  They'd be creating problems for the organization as they'd most likely have to make future trades in the rare occurrence if all 5 worked out.  

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
On 5/19/2018 at 4:54 PM, Patrick Bateman said:
Impressive.... Very impressive.

Nemanja bjelecia was euro mvp and he comes off the bench for the crappy wolves. Of course he's 8 years older than luka

Yea, the whole idea was winning the MVP at 19 in the 2nd highest level professional league in the world.  Although it was reported he didn't play that well.

Hmmmm..... I love the idea that because Vlade blew the WCS pick (maybe should have taken Myles), that he's going to have to fix his own mistake by taking another big.  Bagley to Sac-town now?  Jackson?  Please no Bamba.... poor kid.

Doncic's next destination was a focal point on many a conversation over the course of the weekend. It still remains to be seen which NBA team will draft him. The growing consensus among NBA decision-makers in attendance at Stark Arena in Belgrade is that the teams drafting behind the Phoenix Suns at No. 1, the Sacramento Kings and Atlanta Hawks are likely to pass on European prodigy in favor of American frontcourt players. The question remains whether a team will trade up into the top three to snag Doncic, or if he will fall to the No. 4 (Memphis) or even the No. 5 pick (Dallas) after being heavily scouted in the Euroleague playoffs against Panathinaikos and mostly struggling.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23556715/nba-prospect-luka-doncic-helps-real-madrid-win-euroleague-title

50 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yea, the whole idea was winning the MVP at 19 in the 2nd highest level professional league in the world.  Although it was reported he didn't play that well.

Hmmmm..... I love the idea that because Vlade blew the WCS pick (maybe should have taken Myles), that he's going to have to fix his own mistake by taking another big.  Bagley to Sac-town now?  Jackson?  Please no Bamba.... poor kid.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23556715/nba-prospect-luka-doncic-helps-real-madrid-win-euroleague-title

I would have a really, really hard time seeing Vlade an Peja pass on Doncic, especially with how well Bogdanovic worked out for the Kings this year but who knows what Vlade's thinking. lulz. 

Hoopshype did an aggregate mock draft - I think SGA will be a top 10 pick a month from now.  The more I read about him the more I think he'll be a very good pro.  Young is just too damn awful on defense and any team that picks him is going to have to cover for his shortcomings; we've seen in the playoffs that teams are always going to seek out the weakest link on defense and Young is as defensively weak as it gets in this draft.

PLAYERS AGG RANK NBADraft ESPN Ringer SI
Deandre Ayton 1 1 1 2 1
Luka Doncic 2 2 2 1 2
Marvin Bagley III 3 3 3 4 4
Jaren Jackson Jr. 4 4 4 3 3
Mohamed Bamba 5 6 5 6 5
Michael Porter Jr. 6 5 8 5 7
Wendell Carter Jr. 7 7 7 7 6
Trae Young 8 8 6 9 8
Mikal Bridges 9 10 10 8 9
Collin Sexton 10 9 9 11 11
Miles Bridges 11 13 11 10 10
Kevin Knox 12 11 15 13 12
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander 13 12 12 14 13
Edited by Message Board User
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

ESPN did a mock with Woj, Greenberg, and some other dude - they had Porter Jr dropping to 15, which I thought was crazy.  But they mentioned a hitch in his shot, the injury concerns, and some character issues (which I had never heard about, but apparently he had a testy relationship with teammates).

If that happens some playoff team is gonna be ecstatic to get him.

14 hours ago, Message Board User said:

ESPN did a mock with Woj, Greenberg, and some other dude - they had Porter Jr dropping to 15, which I thought was crazy.  But they mentioned a hitch in his shot, the injury concerns, and some character issues (which I had never heard about, but apparently he had a testy relationship with teammates).

There seems to be unanimous consent that the Clippers are in love with Porter, so it seems like 12 is as far as he would realistically fall and even then, I have trouble seeing that. Too high of a ceiling to fall out of the top ten and if he gets to around pick 7 or 8, i bet the Clippers offer 12 and 13 to move up.

24 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

There seems to be unanimous consent that the Clippers are in love with Porter, so it seems like 12 is as far as he would realistically fall and even then, I have trouble seeing that. Too high of a ceiling to fall out of the top ten and if he gets to around pick 7 or 8, i bet the Clippers offer 12 and 13 to move up.

Yeah the Clips were reportedly trying to move up to get him already.   If he fell to them I think Balmer might spontaneously orgasm

14 hours ago, immortal13 said:

I just don't see Trae Young as a pro player, and that's not just because I hate OU

Like I said, I want him in Philly; he’d be a perfect fit. He’s only their fourth or fifth best player and is only asked to do what he does best. Great long-term replacement for Redick as well, with a much better offensive repertoire. He can go to some shit team and be a volume scorer at minimum, but in a situation like Philly he’d be set up to thrive.

50 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Like I said, I want him in Philly; he’d be a perfect fit. He’s only their fourth or fifth best player and is only asked to do what he does best. Great long-term replacement for Redick as well, with a much better offensive repertoire. He can go to some shit team and be a volume scorer at minimum, but in a situation like Philly he’d be set up to thrive.

Ok that's cool and I'm glad you want him in Philly. My point is that I don't think he has NBA talent, period. I think he will be a gigantic bust and I wouldn't draft him at all, let alone top 10

3 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Ok that's cool and I'm glad you want him in Philly. My point is that I don't think he has NBA talent, period. I think he will be a gigantic bust and I wouldn't draft him at all, let alone top 10

Not even as a off the bench catch and shoot guy?

I have my doubts about him too,especially the Steph comparisons, but i think he shoots it well enough to have a career in the league just as a shooter. 

The spacing and tempo of the NBA game should suit Trae Young. I think we’re going to see a bunch of smaller, scoring types coming into the league and thriving. Guys like Trae Young, Dennis Smith, Donovan Mitchell, etc could be the Tyreek Hill’s and Antonio Brown’s of the NBA- historically they’re maybe too small to be so effective, but right at home in today’s game. When you can score in multiple ways you only need a little bit of space, and these guys can create it and take advantage of it.

Edited by Goo Punch

2 hours ago, WJC88 said:

Not even as a off the bench catch and shoot guy?

I have my doubts about him too,especially the Steph comparisons, but i think he shoots it well enough to have a career in the league just as a shooter. 

I'm just not convinced he is big enough. He isn't nearly as tall as Steph Curry and I honestly don't see him as very comparable to Curry in any way except that he loves to take really long 3's. Smart money says he will be a bust in the NBA

Am I the only one who thinks that seems like an insanely high price tag? I thought most NBA fans/ppl were more in on Jaylen than I am, but evidently not. Cuz I'd turn into the Randy Marsh pic if I were GM for Sac or ATL and was offered that package for my pick

Am I the only one who thinks that seems like an insanely high price tag? I thought most NBA fans/ppl were more in on Jaylen than I am, but evidently not. Cuz I'd turn into the Randy Marsh pic if I were GM for Sac or ATL and was offered that package for my pick
I think it would be dumb.

32 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

I agree. Seems like way too steep a price. Maybe either/or + the pick.