Sports Card Collecting

EZ$

So I sell shit on ebay from time to time and in 2020 I pulled a Zac Gallen 1/1 gold metallic flake topps holiday. I penny sleeved and put straight in top loader.

In january I decided to sell it and listed it....someone who is trying to get the rainbow of Gallen offered me a shit ton over my starting bid price so I took it.

I had to the ship to an ebay authenticator. I have no choice in that they don't give you an option, and not really sure what triggers it....guessing over a certain price paid no clue. They are supposed to take a couple days and like 3 1/2 weeks later the buyer still didn't have the card from authenticator. So then the buyer submitted a ticket for it. Within a couple days the authenticator told the buyer they could not guarantee authenticity of item.

Buyer reached out to me telling me this and wanted to lowball me now. I told them i want the card back cause the authenticator is full of shit.

So i got the card today and what they claim is I didn't list all defects on the listing....LMAO.

The first pictures are the card today. By naked eye I can't see shit. What the authenticator dinged it on was a print line. I only know where it is because they sent the buyer the 3rd pic where they used whatever they use to look at the card.

Last pic is the card today and if i turn it a certain way in light i can see the print line....right above the light spot.

Anyway weird situation and just weird because I would never see that print line if i didn't know where it was.

df62daf8be183a3e98a360883f38d844.jpg663e5b51b89f9528156c021e5f28e3a8.jpg55303faddbb7a61acf3346e0d0513b3f.jpg5ebac022933d43367a1376afea007621.jpg

Doomlet came home from school today with what might be the least valuable basketball card in the world, which some other kid gave to him. 
20230224_154342.thumb.jpg.36721ac3ac271dd79c7c8a0984fafcb5.jpg
He's completely spellbound by the idea of sports trading cards, and wants to start buying basketball cards. 
He obviously has no idea what a messy shitshow the entire scene is, and frankly, neither do I anymore, but what brand of basketball cards should I steer him towards? Cheap and durable are the two most desired characteristics. He's likely going to look at them constantly - no interest in seeking whatever passes for collectability these days. 

14546db73a4a1bc331edf97b51406bb1.jpg
If he needs Guokas cards in better shape, I’ve got some! Seriously though, I have a bajillion NBA cards from the late 80s/early 90s if you’d like your boy to have them. I saved them in the hope that some day some kid would take as much interest as I did but my nephews aren't interested.
  • Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, KingBobo81 said:

14546db73a4a1bc331edf97b51406bb1.jpg
If he needs Guokas cards in better shape, I’ve got some! Seriously though, I have a bajillion NBA cards from the late 80s/early 90s if you’d like your boy to have them. I saved them in the hope that some day some kid would take as much interest as I did but my nephews aren't interested.

Holy shit! That would be awesome! 

Let me at least pay for shipping - I'll shoot you a PM. 

I have a lot of material shit but as a ‘79 baby I miss all the cards/shoes I had as a kid.  Had ‘mint’ Jordan ‘10’s’ which had to be PSA 8+ but it’s the memories not the cash.  Also my Jordans which I begged and mowed lawns for.  I’d give 6 figures for any of those.  Oh well.  

My boys (age 7&9) got interested last summer.  Their uncle gave them his cards from 80s-90s, which included around 90 Nolan Ryan and lots of Michael Jordans.  Love that they are getting to know the old guys as well.  Bought my oldest a Hank Aaron card from 71 for his birthday, poor condition but it's his favorite player.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
My boys (age 7&9) got interested last summer.  Their uncle gave them his cards from 80s-90s, which included around 90 Nolan Ryan and lots of Michael Jordans.  Love that they are getting to know the old guys as well.  Bought my oldest a Hank Aaron card from 71 for his birthday, poor condition but it's his favorite player.

Same with mine. He decided about a year or so ago he wanted my small batch of cards. He’s bought some more since then.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question about getting a card PSA graded.  I was looking at the PSA website and checking out the Service Level pricing.  I have a card that I would like to submit but I have no idea of what grade the card will receive.  For example if the card is worth $1499 or less then it looks like the fee is $75.  What if it turns out to be worth more than what I submit it for?

image.thumb.jpeg.79dc8f38a6c6743bd959f166c3a40902.jpeg

• Like 2

On 4/8/2023 at 1:25 PM, TexasGary said:

I have a question about getting a card PSA graded.  I was looking at the PSA website and checking out the Service Level pricing.  I have a card that I would like to submit but I have no idea of what grade the card will receive.  For example if the card is worth $1499 or less then it looks like the fee is $75.  What if it turns out to be worth more than what I submit it for?

Take your cards to a local card shop and they can estimate the base level value (sorry but I don't know the exact lingo). They can then recommend if it is worth grading and guide you through the process

Pretty sure PSA will charge you the difference if you guess the wrong amount

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Masshole Jr. is really getting into football this season.

Want to get him some packs, but when I see them, they seem stupidly expensive for something he'll destroy and/or lose... like a box of 6 packs, 5 cards each, for $30.

Is there a set, brand, series, whatever they're called these days that can get him a bunch of cards to open?

• 4 weeks later...
Masshole Jr. is really getting into football this season.
Want to get him some packs, but when I see them, they seem stupidly expensive for something he'll destroy and/or lose... like a box of 6 packs, 5 cards each, for $30.
Is there a set, brand, series, whatever they're called these days that can get him a bunch of cards to open?
I've seen Score (brand) hanging packs in a couple stores (HEB, Walgreens). These are probably the closest to what you're looking for. They're "cheaper" (lower quality) cards, but still going to more expensive than you remember cards being. But he'll get to see the players he knows and score also puts some retried players into those sets as well.006965c4-7743-4e41-abc8-b7be709c956f.5b306e1528379c16adb50d3d9bd39b85.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Topps revealed a collaboration with The Joy of Painting last year but I was unable to get any packs in the presale. I love Bob Ross and my kids get a kick out of him too so I bought a few loose cards.975c6ff5608079b829a153073ac3456d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve been doing breaks on Fanatics.Live recently.  It’s dangerous but has been a lot of fun. Got about 8 icons including a cool Nolan Ryan /10 with Astros and rangers.  Also just hit on a Bijan 1/1 from Panini Ultimate Football.  Will send picture once I get it.  Two questions:

1. I have several dozen cards worth $5-$20.  Would love to just sell them in groups at a discount (particularly the rookies) to recoup some costs but that seems hard.  Any ideas?

2.  Should I send all of the Icons off to be graded?  My understanding is that if it’s sub $50 it’s not really worth being graded but happy to learn. 

Edited to add the Nolan. 

IMG_3872.jpeg

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

A-Tex Devil - check grades comps at 130point for latest sales. I’ll use that to decide what to grade. Market’s really picking up now so if you send them off now you should have back before summer (if PSA). Diamonds also look good in the SGC tux, which is a little cheaper and faster if you’re not looking to flip.

I had to slow down my breaking and been hunting singles. eBay is easy to sell but can sometimes be slow. You can always consign with someone on WhatNot too.

On 2/14/2024 at 10:07 PM, patrickdrinksbeer said:

i’m strictly vintage baseball, but here are my latest additions. 4b772bac53dcddf808c527ac2a02538a.jpg

do you mind telling us what you paid for the Nolan rookie and your understanding of the price spectrum as it relates to grading?  I collected as a kid in the 80's and have a Nolan rookie and just curious.  

On 3/25/2024 at 8:17 PM, Shot Caller said:

A-Tex Devil - check grades comps at 130point for latest sales. I’ll use that to decide what to grade. Market’s really picking up now so if you send them off now you should have back before summer (if PSA). Diamonds also look good in the SGC tux, which is a little cheaper and faster if you’re not looking to flip.

I had to slow down my breaking and been hunting singles. eBay is easy to sell but can sometimes be slow. You can always consign with someone on WhatNot too.

Thanks.  I've been buying up Bijan on eBay when I can find deals.  Has been quite fun. 

do you mind telling us what you paid for the Nolan rookie and your understanding of the price spectrum as it relates to grading?  I collected as a kid in the 80's and have a Nolan rookie and just curious.  

the ryan rookie will vary widely based on condition and grade. easiest way to get a sense of value is go to ebay and search the card and filter sold/completed auctions. the PSA4 was about $800.

Nice Acuna!! I bet he was thrilled. That a games used ASG patch?
Supposed to be but these companies are full of shit half the time on that lol. Says "event worn" so may have been a jersey they had him put on for 2 secs

Yeah he was pretty pumped from what i hear. I told him I would give him $20 for it to see if he would bite and he declined lmao

I'm not trolling at all, I'm genuinely curious if collecting things is still fun in the age of the internet?  When you can sit on the toilet and google stamps or cards or used japanese panties...whatever you want you don't have to actually put effort like before the web. 

I'm just wondering.  I have a hankering sometimes to start collecting, but the existence of ebay dampers my enthusiasm a bit.  

Yes it’s still fun! I got back into it when kids found the cards I collected as a kid. There’s more access now to find out what you’re looking for with eBay, whatnot and fanatics live. Breaking is also fun and more avenues to sell or trade cards. Flippers can be annoying and low balls, etc but definitely still fun.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to going through some of my old cards and was going to see about selling them. Late 70’s, 80’s football, baseball, basketball. Some really good cards but I have no idea what condition some of them would be graded. I have 2 NBAhoops Jordan cards (the regular card and the All Star game) that to me are mint. Dan Marino, John Elway rookie also. Any idea what these would be worth without being graded? Don’t know how to load pics

I finally got around to going through some of my old cards and was going to see about selling them. Late 70’s, 80’s football, baseball, basketball. Some really good cards but I have no idea what condition some of them would be graded. I have 2 NBAhoops Jordan cards (the regular card and the All Star game) that to me are mint. Dan Marino, John Elway rookie also. Any idea what these would be worth without being graded? Don’t know how to load pics

Check out https://130point.com/sales/#

That’s where I go…database of all eBay sales…you can check raw, graded etc on there
  • Like 1