Shall we talk about heavy music?

Patricio Swayze

15 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The one thing I'm not big on with metal is when a song starts off just absolutely kicking ass, it's jamming along and then the singer starts on a fucking ballad or some other artsy type of vocals.  I'm usually saying to myself, "Hey my dude, if you need a break and can't keep it going that long then make the song shorter or lay down a good riff for a minute."

I straight up start laughing when I hear that shit. Every time. Like, I'll rock some Maiden now and again, but I know what I'm getting into. When I hear a new song and it starts out brutal as shit and then suddenly drops to the most touchy feely shit, it just cracks me the fuck up. I can't take it seriously. I'm sure the shit I like sounds like someone ball torturing the cookie monster. To each his own, I guess.

Any Arch Enemy fans here?  I wanted to post this particular song because I've always thought they were fairly simplistic, but really touched a certain nerve in the industrial/thrash realm that I appreciated.  Given our place in time, this seems prescient.  And I mean this in the non-dumbass way, so if you take it the wrong way...well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Native American Black Metal? Sure, why not.

I dig it. Sounds to me a bit like if High on Fire was a Black Metal band.

yeah, he's moving very quickly up the metal ranks. I expect to see him playing large venues very soon. Not my bag, but I like it enough and if I like it, a lot of other people will too. I'm picky as shit.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

speaking of DFW metal, was anyone around in the early-late 90's metal/nu metal scene. as I was climbing out of from under the heavy rock/classic rocks and discovering new genres and bands, I glommed onto a couple that I am still kinda fond of these days.
The first is Stink!#Bug. They only put out two albums (I prefer the first one - it was more raw) but they were the first band I ever heard combine sampling/record scratches into heavy music. i still think it's a fun sound - haters can suck it. a couple samples
[/url]  

Sounds like you put Static-X and Snot in a blender. In a good way.

And I’m going to see Pantera because I never saw them back in the day and they are playing five miles from my house and I like Zakk Wylde.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

good way of putting it. definitely a unique sound - especially for back then

Awesome! I hear it's a great show. Enjoy!

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

LoG was good. “Pantera” was…good I guess not great. It sounds like Zakk Wylde playing Dime licks. Charlie was good. Phil was actually pretty good.

Glad to check them off but wish I’d seen them back in the day.

Main reason I didn't go this time was that I didn't want to compare versions.  I saw them 4 or 5 times, last one being Ozzfest 2000 from the side of the stage. Great show and an amazing lineup that ironically included BLS

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Main reason I didn't go this time was that I didn't want to compare versions.  I saw them 4 or 5 times, last one being Ozzfest 2000 from the side of the stage. Great show and an amazing lineup that ironically included BLS

Yeah, i got to see Pantera in 97 or 98 at (then) Starplex in Dallas. White Zombie and Eyehategod opened. Great show. Phil od'd and was rushed to hospital. Good times. 

Speaking of BLS, never a big fan, but this song always slaps

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

40 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Damn did Phil perform at all?

oh yeah, they completed the show. but Phil was more rambly and incoherent than normal. I've seen him perform dozens of times with Down and Superjoint and such. he talks. a lot. maybe they have him in check for these stadium shows but it was always a joke with my metal buddies when Phil would come on stage. One time we had someone keep time on how much he talked and I clocked how long the band played. it was damn near even. and it was like a 30 minute set. 🤣

anyway, here's Phil with Superjoint at the Housecore Horror and Music Festival in 2014. My gf at the time wrote for a magazine and so we got press passes. I borrowed my buddy's digital slr and was a photog for a couple of days. fun shit.
AIL4fc-STy64K485v-IT752c7BYD1HiLySfSsvUv

And then I turn around to look at the crowd and see this:
AIL4fc-MVtUTk5hR64ibDZw-fSHWhrLCL5V8TjEG

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

42 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

oh yeah, they completed the show. but Phil was more rambly and incoherent than normal. I've seen him perform dozens of times with Down and Superjoint and such. he talks. a lot. maybe they have him in check for these stadium shows but it was always a joke with my metal buddies when Phil would come on stage. One time we had someone keep time on how much he talked and I clocked how long the band played. it was damn near even. and it was like a 30 minute set. 🤣

anyway, here's Phil with Superjoint at the Housecore Horror and Music Festival in 2014. My gf at the time wrote for a magazine and so we got press passes. I borrowed my buddy's digital slr and was a photog for a couple of days. fun shit.

That sounds cool but as far as the pictures go...

download (5).jpeg

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Hey I was at Housecore Horror also.  I had VIP passes from a friend of a friend.  I went to Unearth in the parking lot and there were like 10 people there.  But I held my own in the 3 man mosh pit.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Cannibal Corpse/Mayhem/Gorguts/Blood Incantation tonight in Atlanta. Did anyone catch the Texas shows earlier in the week?  CC is the only band on the bill I've seen before, but this is a much bigger venue than the places I've caught them in previously.

I wish, show was in SA.  Mayhem always put on a good show imo, Blood Incantation might steal the show, I've never seen Gorguts but have always wanted to.

Matt Heafy from Trivium has a weekly, hour-long show on Liquid Metal that's pretty great for finding new metal bands or new jams from bands you've previously heard of. Good shit from yesterday's show.

I know some of you hate clean vocals, so just stick with it past the Deftones-esque intro to 1:00 or so. Reminds me of a slightly heavier Gojira. 

20 hours ago, Bigpoppapump said:

I wish, show was in SA.  Mayhem always put on a good show imo, Blood Incantation might steal the show, I've never seen Gorguts but have always wanted to.

Impressive show all around. Missed Blood Incantation because of a late start from home and trying to find parking, but I'd rather catch them headlining. Gorguts played a set comprised almost exclusively of songs from the first two records, which was a treat, since I don't really like their noodly stuff.

Mayhem broke up the show into 3 parts: 5 newer tunes, 3 from De Mysteriis (including my fave "Life Eternal," then about 15 minutes of Deathcrush stuff. Killer atmosphere as well. 

Nothing new from CC, but why would you want anything new from them?

PXL_20231021_020616593.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

The new Year of the Knife is awesome. If you’re not familiar, the band was in a terrible van accident back in June and their vocalist suffered a traumatic brain injury (all members were injured). She was just recently was released back home. If you have the means, they have a Patreon for medical bills. 

The breakdown reminds me of Converge’s Concubine. Album was produced at God City.

IMG_0670.jpeg

Edited by Dark Horse

• 2 weeks later...