2018 Poker run good or die

bigup2dahorns

Huge miss right before dinner break. 2k/1k/2k. Unusual limp UTG put flags up and it folds to me w 99. I just call, SB calls and old Italian guy with a bunch of family on the rail and the only stack eclipsing my 100k raises it to 13k. UTG (also an old foreigner) calls. Watching all of their expressions etc just put me out of ease and I folded. SB calls.

983 w two diamonds. UTG leads out 20k and both guys fold. He shows 88.

Question for the board:

I played a 30-person tournament on Wednesday, and we're down to the final six. I had 25 BB and looked down UTG at Ace of spades and King of clubs. I raised to 3.5 BB, and it folded to the button, who had a 23 BB stack and raised it to 10 BB. It folded back to me.

If I call, there are 21.5 BB in the pot and I only have 15 BB remaining with the button having 13 BB. Is this a mandatory 4-bet shove?

How many pay? How does button play?

I prefer a smaller opening raise, especially with shallower stacks. Unless button is absurdly tight, or we know he would 3bet this way with AA/KK only and jam hands like TT or AQ, or we are on the bubble and there's a very short stack, probably have to just go with it.

Calling definitely is no good. We either fold because of one of the above situations or jam because we have 25 BB and AK six handed.

Pay was top three. Everyone was pretty shallow at this point and nobody had more than 35 BB. I had only played with the button at the final table and he hadn’t played many hands. He did raise/fold at least once. 

I figured he had 10+, AQ suited+. I didn’t think he’d fold and I had just called an all-in with AJ offsuit three hands before.

Anyway, I called, spiked an Ace, checked, and called his all-in. He turned over QQ.

• Like 2

I think given your info we have to jam pre. We are exactly 50/50 against a range of TT+, AQ+, and the pot is giving us an overlay. We can also make some villains make a disastrous mistake of folding 99-JJ or so if we jam because OMG HE MUST HAVE ACES.

Calling is no good because 2/3 of the time we miss the flop and then just folded off half our stack without even seeing five cards. The other reason it is bad is that sometimes when we hit, we don't get fully paid.  Like here, some villains will end up just check-folding their QQ when the ace comes. Good move checking the flop instead of jamming yourself.

On a side note, I don't understand why he didn't just jam pre if he wasn't trying to not commit all his chips until a safe flop came.

• Like 1

I need to start playing these satellites for the cash. I am king of min-cashes. Nice to get 10 times buyin for min-cash.

Today I’m playing a Survivor tourney at PH. $565 buyin and final 10% get $5k cash

• Like 2

Another question for the board. You sit down at a full 1/2 table with 300. You watch about twenty hands and half the table is loose aggressive. Lots of all-ins.

After half the people limp, You look down at the cutoff at QQ and raise to $30. Button calls, BB calls, and two people who limped call. 3 of the 4 callers are loose aggressive. Flop is A-3-5 rainbow. It checks to you, you check, and the button bets $50. It folds to you and you call.

the button doesn’t look like much of a player. He whipped out about $10,000 in cash to buy in for the max, $300.

Turn is a 9. Check check.

River is a 2. Bet your QQ for value?

Say you checked and the button shoved. Call?

Edited by Bookman

Tough hand. I’m probably betting flop as I’m supposed to have it.

Had I checked like you all three streets, that’s a tough river call. I’m probably calling a bet less than $75 and folding to bigger bets. If he’s willing to jam bluff here, I take notes for next time.

That’s a fairly wild 1/2 game with a bunch of limps then 4 people calling $30 pre. A little more standard for 2/5 from what I’ve experienced.
Yeah, nothing changes the dynamic of a1/2 table like having 1 or more 2/5 players sit down while they wait for their 2/5 seat.

Cliff Joesephy got fucking rocked on the river in the first mega-pot of the tourney.

KK vs AK..... completely clear first 4 cards and the river was a 3 outer.

25,000/50,000/5,000. Cliff "JohnnyBax" Josephy opened for 110,000 under the gun, Dyer three-bet to 315,000 with ace-king suited and Josephy made it 815,000. Dyer shoved, barely covering Josephy's 3.8 million, and the former November Niner called it off with kings. Everything ran out clean for him until an ace hit the river.

thats a puke moment right there. knowing you are about to sitting with just under 8M in chips with 110 people to play, and the poker gods tell you to fuck off

17 hours ago, Bookman said:

Another question for the board. You sit down at a full 1/2 table with 300. You watch about twenty hands and half the table is loose aggressive. Lots of all-ins.

After half the people limp, You look down at the cutoff at QQ and raise to $30. Button calls, BB calls, and two people who limped call. 3 of the 4 callers are loose aggressive. Flop is A-3-5 rainbow. It checks to you, you check, and the button bets $50. It folds to you and you call.

the button doesn’t look like much of a player. He whipped out about $10,000 in cash to buy in for the max, $300.

Turn is a 9. Check check.

River is a 2. Bet your QQ for value?

Say you checked and the button shoved. Call?

Great game to be in, assuming you are properly rolled to withstand the swings.

With 4 people putting in $30 each pre, someone is very very likely to have an ace.  I would generally check the QQ here.  I am also sometimes checking an ace, so that opponents can't just then barrel me off of my hands.  I'd rather bet something like 99, because we might get better hands to fold, as TT and JJ might be out there, and may have the same thought.

We pretty much have to call the $50 since we are getting 4:1 and the player in last position bet and everyone else folded.  

River is a gross spot.  4 card straight is on the board, and villain definitely could have bet A4 or 54 on the flop and checked turn and now has it and is hoping we have an ace and pay off.

You say button flashed $10k to buyin $300.  Two types of people do this:  ones who legit DGAF about money, and ones who want to give the impression that they DGAF about money.  If button has been playing splashy/aggro, he DGAF and I guess we have to call.  If he hasn't been playing that splashy/aggro, muck it and move on. Note that sometimes the players that want to give that splashy image will talk a lot but not actually PLAY a lot.  Scotty Nguyen does this.  He is constantly yammering and laughing it up and you get the image that he's crazy, but he plays nitty.

29 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Cliff Joesephy got fucking rocked on the river in the first mega-pot of the tourney.

KK vs AK..... completely clear first 4 cards and the river was a 3 outer.

thats a puke moment right there. knowing you are about to sitting with just under 8M in chips with 110 people to play, and the poker gods tell you to fuck off

That is called getting B-Tucked.

so you have been playing poker for 5 straight days..... and maybe you partied a little too hard and you forgot that you still have Day 6 to go:

Koren and Xi MIA

Two players have still not taken their seats a half hour into the day.

Artur Koren and Ming Xi have yet to arrive on Day 6.

Thats the poker gods just saying- Fuck Michael Dyer on Day 7..... doesnt mean they wont like him tomorrow, but he was the Day 7 monster chip leader for something like 90% of the day.  That hand puts Manion into the chip lead a little over $2M more than Dyer.  Those 2 hold somethng like 56% of all the chips in play.

Not that $2M is a big number, but it really causes those guys to actually have to play a little careful with each other because losing a monster pot to them might end your run.    Which means, the rest of the table have a chance to fight their way back into the game.

Im rooting for Cada.  Hes got 39BB, so hes not really short stacked at all.  Dude seems to be on his game this year.

also, that same link for the sick hand has several other poker stories in it.... including Phil Helmuth winning bracelet number 15.   Love him or hate him, you dont get to #15 and over 100 other WSOP cashes without being really fucking good.

but reading a bit more detail kinda showed that the player of the year points system really needs to be tweeked.  I understand the POY system doesnt want to make so that if you win the ME and just one other tourney, you win the POY.... but the points system really doesnt make much sense.

It heavily favors 1st place over everything else (and I admit, 1st place is important), but the point giveout is 2nd place gets exactly half the points of 1st place.   that kind of seems unfair, as  2nd place in terms of money, always ends up getting something like 61.5% of the 1st place money payout.  And for the most part, it kind of gives the same value to a winner of an event with 100 entries, or 9,000, or one that only costs $565 to enter vs $1,500, $5k or 100k.

There were only 452 entrants into the $5k turbo event.   Phil got  just shy of 1,100 POY points... meanwhile the winner of the main event is only going to end up getting ~1700 POY points.   so even though  the ME had more than seventeen times the number of entrants in the  $5k turbo game,  Phil gets more than 340 POY points MORE than whoever takes 2nd place in the ME.  

and i dont think anyone would argue making 2nd place in the ME is a hell of a lot harder than winning a turbo event with less than 500 players.

winning the GIANT which only cost $600 but had almost $9,000 entries gave the winner 1130 POY points,  and 2nd place 565 POY. 

Meanwhile the $100k high roller with only 105 entrants, gave out 1270 for 1st place, and 635 for 2nd..... 

and the $1500 Milly maker with over 7,300 entries gave out 1332 and 666

it seems like an easy tweek that the POY points just get linked to the percentage of the main prize pool money payout.   and maybe some small bonus for final table and each spot higher than #9

Edited by AUS-97HORN

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Any way Labat could have gotten away from that?

Crazy hand. Against almost everyone it is a super easy call. Against these two guys, probably should honesty fold. 

I do also think people are WAY overstating the impact of the final table bubble and value of laddering a spot. The jump to 9th is the same $$ as the jumps to 11th and 10th were. So no huge money impact. This isn't the N9 where making the final 9 means you get rest/patches/coaching and have time to arrange family/friend travel or whatever. 

I feel like no one would say fold if they were 12 handed but the jump to 11th is the same money wise as the jump to 9th.

With so much up top, overly nitty folding sucks. Finishing 1st 15% of the time and 10th 85% of the time pays more than finishing 5th 100% of the time. That said, I think in this spot with this action, Manion only has AA so we pukefold and love that we lost the pure minimum.

Labat screwed himself to an extent by not 3betting. If he 3bets, Zhu 4bets allin, and Manion 5bets, then it is for sure that Manion just has AA only and always. But by flatting, Labat underrepped his hand. Lots of players would be able to jam in Zhu's shoes, and then isolate in Manion's shoes with less than AA, so you must call KK.

But Manion folded KK pre the day before in a less high-pressure spot, and with Manion not getting a count or really thinking, just shoveling it in, I can't see how he doesn't have AA here.  He's just not doing this with QQ or AK.  He could have the other two KK, so I guess your best case scenario is getting it in against Manion's KK, and maybe chopping up Zhu's QQ or AK.  But Zhu had recently just called pre with AK to a raise, dunno if that hand was 30 minutes before this, so dunno if the players knew that.  

And of course, the same people who are saying HOLY SHIT HOW DO YOU CALL THERE DUH HE HAS ACES are the same people that if Zhu and Manion both had QQ and Labat folds KK to the action say HOLY SHIT HOW DO YOU FOLD KK AND PUNT HAVING THE CHIP LEAD FOR $9 MILLION YOU PUSSY.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TXSooner518 said:
Crazy hand. Against almost everyone it is a super easy call. Against these two guys, probably should honesty fold. 

I do also think people are WAY overstating the impact of the final table bubble and value of laddering a spot. The jump to 9th is the same $$ as the jumps to 11th and 10th were. So no huge money impact. This isn't the N9 where making the final 9 means you get rest/patches/coaching and have time to arrange family/friend travel or whatever. 

I feel like no one would say fold if they were 12 handed but the jump to 11th is the same money wise as the jump to 9th.

With so much up top, overly nitty folding sucks. Finishing 1st 15% of the time and 10th 85% of the time pays more than finishing 5th 100% of the time. That said, I think in this spot with this action, Manion only has AA so we pukefold and love that we lost the pure minimum.

Labat screwed himself to an extent by not 3betting. If he 3bets, Zhu 4bets allin, and Manion 5bets, then it is for sure that Manion just has AA only and always. But by flatting, Labat underrepped his hand. Lots of players would be able to jam in Zhu's shoes, and then isolate in Manion's shoes with less than AA, so you must call KK.

But Manion folded KK pre the day before in a less high-pressure spot, and with Manion not getting a count or really thinking, just shoveling it in, I can't see how he doesn't have AA here.  He's just not doing this with QQ or AK.  He could have the other two KK, so I guess your best case scenario is getting it in against Manion's KK, and maybe chopping up Zhu's QQ or AK.  But Zhu had recently just called pre with AK to a raise, dunno if that hand was 30 minutes before this, so dunno if the players knew that.  

And of course, the same people who are saying HOLY SHIT HOW DO YOU CALL THERE DUH HE HAS ACES are the same people that if Zhu and Manion both had QQ and Labat folds KK to the action say HOLY SHIT HOW DO YOU FOLD KK AND PUNT HAVING THE CHIP LEAD FOR $9 MILLION YOU PUSSY.

Isn't flatting the "in" thing to do these days? I can't bring myself to play like that. Maybe i'm just too dumb?