2018 Poker run good or die

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, TXSooner518 said:
Crazy hand. Against almost everyone it is a super easy call. Against these two guys, probably should honesty fold. 

I do also think people are WAY overstating the impact of the final table bubble and value of laddering a spot. The jump to 9th is the same $$ as the jumps to 11th and 10th were. So no huge money impact. This isn't the N9 where making the final 9 means you get rest/patches/coaching and have time to arrange family/friend travel or whatever. 

I feel like no one would say fold if they were 12 handed but the jump to 11th is the same money wise as the jump to 9th.

With so much up top, overly nitty folding sucks. Finishing 1st 15% of the time and 10th 85% of the time pays more than finishing 5th 100% of the time. That said, I think in this spot with this action, Manion only has AA so we pukefold and love that we lost the pure minimum.

Labat screwed himself to an extent by not 3betting. If he 3bets, Zhu 4bets allin, and Manion 5bets, then it is for sure that Manion just has AA only and always. But by flatting, Labat underrepped his hand. Lots of players would be able to jam in Zhu's shoes, and then isolate in Manion's shoes with less than AA, so you must call KK.

But Manion folded KK pre the day before in a less high-pressure spot, and with Manion not getting a count or really thinking, just shoveling it in, I can't see how he doesn't have AA here.  He's just not doing this with QQ or AK.  He could have the other two KK, so I guess your best case scenario is getting it in against Manion's KK, and maybe chopping up Zhu's QQ or AK.  But Zhu had recently just called pre with AK to a raise, dunno if that hand was 30 minutes before this, so dunno if the players knew that.  

And of course, the same people who are saying HOLY SHIT HOW DO YOU CALL THERE DUH HE HAS ACES are the same people that if Zhu and Manion both had QQ and Labat folds KK to the action say HOLY SHIT HOW DO YOU FOLD KK AND PUNT HAVING THE CHIP LEAD FOR $9 MILLION YOU PUSSY.

I am afraid that my play in that spot would be affected by the fact it is being televised. I could fold the kings with nobody knowing. Folding kings in front of everyone and possibly being wrong is harder.

36 minutes ago, BERT said:

Isn't flatting the "in" thing to do these days? I can't bring myself to play like that. Maybe i'm just too dumb? 

I don't know that flatting KK is the "in" thing to do.  Certainly there are table dynamics where it can be the optimal play, but 3betting there would still certainly be "standard."  It is more "in" to flat weak hands out of the BB, which I generally do not do either, because I think the reverse implied odds usually outweigh the favorable direct odds.  Meaning when I call an extra 1.2xBB with T5o, I am now playing total garbage out of position against a player with initiative.  What flops exactly do I want?  

16 minutes ago, po elvis said:

I am afraid that my play in that spot would be affected by the fact it is being televised. I could fold the kings with nobody knowing. Folding kings in front of everyone and possibly being wrong is harder.

Yeah, that's going to suck either way, and THE INTERNET will mock and second-guess you if you are wrong, with wrong being entirely based on results.  For example if Manion had QQ instead of AA but binked a Q, you still would have had mouthbreathers posting that Labat should have folded to "avoid the bad beat" and "guarantee the final table" in a spot where 10th pays $850k, 9th pays $1M, and 1st pays $8.8M.  

For the record, I think Labat in this exact spot against these exact players had a theoretically correct fold, but I understand that it was a monumentally difficult spot, one that you play once in a lifetime, and I don't think it reflects poorly on him at all that he got it "wrong."  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

For the record, I think Labat in this exact spot against these exact players had a theoretically correct fold, but I understand that it was a monumentally difficult spot, one that you play once in a lifetime, and I don't think it reflects poorly on him at all that he got it "wrong."  

like you have any experience at all 1 hand away from being the final table and having KK vs AA and knowing how to play KK.......

oh wait

1 minute ago, AUS-97HORN said:

like you have any experience at all 1 hand away from being the final table and having KK vs AA and knowing how to play KK.......

oh wait

Ha!  I'm impressed that you have such vivid callback of 3.5 year old beats!

For those unfamiliar, one of the grossest hands in my life:  We are down to 11 of 1000+ in the WSOP Circuit Choctaw Main Event, my table has 6 players, other table has 5.  As the dealer is dealing the next hand at our table, I hear the floor say finish the hand and hold up, because someone at the other table has gone bust, so we are going to consolidate to the final table of 10.  Folds to me on the button, and I have KK and open.  Ben Reasons, a very competent and aggressive player 3bets from BB, I 4bet and call his jam and he natch has AA. We do not find a kingball.  After counting stacks, I have Ben covered by ONE big blind, so I move to the final table.

For the lulz, the first hand I get dealt at the FT is AA.  I get in and like quadruple up, then run my stack up to 12 BB or so.  I jam AQhh in early position, guy from middle position calls off with QTo (?) and he turns a T to bust me 10th.  Womp womp.  If the hand on the other table takes 5 seconds less or our previous hand takes 5 seconds more, I go to the final table 3rd in chips, with $385k up top.  Instead, 10th for $28k.  

I have also busted the WSOPME in a horrendous spot with KK into AA preflop.  I did correctly fold KK preflop in the 2016 River Main, and the 2016 WSOPC Choctaw main. 

45 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

I don't know that flatting KK is the "in" thing to do.  Certainly there are table dynamics where it can be the optimal play, but 3betting there would still certainly be "standard."  It is more "in" to flat weak hands out of the BB, which I generally do not do either, because I think the reverse implied odds usually outweigh the favorable direct odds.  Meaning when I call an extra 1.2xBB with T5o, I am now playing total garbage out of position against a player with initiative.  What flops exactly do I want?  

Yeah, that's going to suck either way, and THE INTERNET will mock and second-guess you if you are wrong, with wrong being entirely based on results.  For example if Manion had QQ instead of AA but binked a Q, you still would have had mouthbreathers posting that Labat should have folded to "avoid the bad beat" and "guarantee the final table" in a spot where 10th pays $850k, 9th pays $1M, and 1st pays $8.8M.  

TTT or 555 lol

4 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

I bet I can play TT5 and T55 too!!! emoji3.png Although my current "final WSOP Main Event hand" involved me defending BB with 54 and flopping 554.

True. But on those boards, especially the T55 one, i'd be expecting a big bear to jump out behind a bush with every card higher than a T than comes out. But that's just my beat down mind talking. 

20 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Just hold one time for Christs sake. Cada was putting on a clinic.

I was cheering for Miles on that one.  Cada was playing great, but that was the right decision by Miles and I was glad to see it run out well for him.

Went to Tilt Poker while visiting my parents in Tyler. Poker club in a storage or commercial real estate complex. Kind of a shithole but don’t really care. They have the WSOP on the TV and figured I could kill a few hours. $10 daily membership or $25 monthly. I get a daily and a seat at $9/hour. One hand of note: I have 9d9h UTG +2. 2 limps ahead of me (playing 1/2 NL). I make it $15 - 2 calls, flop 10d9s3s. I bet $25, folds to button who makes it $125. I think about it and shove for about $220 total. He tanks for a while, tells me that He has put me on a flush draw but he has the nut flush draw and I smile. He calls and asks to run it twice. I boat up on both, turn it over and rake about $500. He rolled over KsQs and made a flush on both run outs. Felt kinda bad but I think I played it right. Thoughts on my play here? Other than that, was kinda card dead. Had AK once and some suited connectors and won a few < $100 pots.

Bought in for $300, cashed out $1021 after paying $24 for my seat. Nice little $720 profit for 2.5 hours. Had some fun as well. Bunch of old man coffees. My dad and FIL played as well. Dad made about $100 and FIL had quads twice and made about $525. Fun night, will do it again when I’m here for thanksgiving.

Edited by pearlandhorn