2019 Texas Softball - Connie's overboard, Anchors Aweigh!

TrashMaster G

- outhit Minn 8-4,  however,  not with risp, 6 lob.

-  Elish only walked 1,   Parker looks good at shortstop,  thus far.  1 error by Iakopo.

-  Minnesota played with much more enthusiasm,  very, very well coached, talented team.     They came here to win.

-  Jamie Trachsel is a super, young coach with a bright future.    She has also assembled an outstanding staff. 

Edited by torre

Weekend Schedule:

Friday, March 15

2 p.m. CT         #11/13 TEXAS vs. BYU (10-11)

4:30 p.m. CT    #11/13 TEXAS at #6/5 Tennessee (19-3) – SEC NETWORK+

Saturday, March 16

11 a.m. CT       #11/13 TEXAS vs. BYU

Sunday, March 17

12 p.m. CT       #11/13 TEXAS at #6/5 Tennessee – SEC NETWORK+

Monday, March 18

5 p.m. CT         #11/13 TEXAS at Lipscomb (15-7-1)

https://texassports.com/news/2019/3/14/no-11-softball-preview-tennessee-invitational-at-lipscomb-march-15-18-2019.aspx

I said a 4-1 weekend would be great. We’re 3-1 with a game against Lipscomb tomorrow. 

25-6 record with wins over Tenn, Minnesota, ASU, Wisconsin, Kentucky and Ole Miss. not bad. 

Good chance to run off some more wins before Baylor/Ok State./Texas State/Tech. 

Also based on this weekend, it looks like Parker has taken over at SS with Rhodes cementing 3B.  Left side of the infield looks figured out.

Parker had the inside track at SS after Slack missed that infield pop fly.  I really like our infield now. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

Breaking down our RPI a little more (#5) -

SOS overall is #8

Non-conference is #11

8-4 versus quadrant 1 including wins over #7, #10, #12, #15  twice, #19 and #25 twice (losses to #6, #10, #12 twice)
2-2 versus quadrant 2 including wins over #32 and #45 (losses to #32 and #45)
5-0 versus quadrant 3
10-0 versus quadrant 4

Average RPI loss is #20.  That's better than #1 FSU (#28), #2 UCLA (#24) and #6 LSU (#25)

3 minutes ago, HollidayHorn said:

What a game yesterday. O'leary is turning into an ace already, the D was awesome and they were able to take advantage of the Vols mistake. Was Shae a Connie recruit or was she commited to Oregon and decided to follow Mike to UT?

Shae was a long-time Texas commit.

Incoming pitcher Grace Green was a Mike recruit who followed him and flipped her commitment. 

Edited by Js1

5 minutes ago, HollidayHorn said:

She'sbeen awesome. I'm sure glad that Connie never got ahold of her and Coach White can mold her as he sees fit. With Bollinger leaving do you think he will try to find a juco or transfer lefty for next year?

Possibly but I'm really high on LHP Grace Green because White has been recruiting her.   Senior Elish + sophomore Shae + freshman Green is a salty rotation.   Look at my post above from Tuesday. 

Edited by Js1

14 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

4-1 on our Tennessee road trip. Couldn't (reasonably) ask for better than that

I believe I said that would be nice. And it was.  

Shae was Big 12 co-pitcher of the week.  Shared with G. Juarez who had a perfect game versus Loyola Marymount.  

O’Leary also went 2-0 this weekend with a 0.00 ERA and 10 strikeouts over 12.0 innings of work with wins over BYU and No. 6/5 Tennessee. The freshman tossed a complete-game shutout over the Lady Vols, a team that entered the weekend with NCAA Division’s I’s third-highest scoring offense and fourth-highest team batting average.

Texas up a spot to #10 in the new coaches poll.  We have 7 wins against the top 25 already.  

ISU comes to town this weekend; Texas lookin' to start 3-0 in conference play against the 3rd worst team in the Big 12 (17-10 record).   Actually the most exciting Big 12 matchup is Tech and OU.  We get to see if Tech is for real or not. 

Over halfway through the season (23 games left; 32 played):

26-6 record
.339 BA with 21 HR, 60 doubles, 11 triples, 95 walks to 85 strikeouts
.965 fielding
1.47 team ERA, 235 strikeouts to 58 walks given up; only allowed 42 ER in 32 games

At this point in 2018, we were 18-12 and had already played 4 Big 12 games (4-0)

Can I amend my predictions with Baylor being god awful (sweep) and OSU losing to Ole Miss and getting one-hit by Tulsa (Texas beat both these teams in 4 games by a combined score of 22-3 and OSU lost to these 2 teams by a combined score of 5-21)

I think we sweep KU, ISU, Baylor and OSU.  2/3 from Tech and 1/3 from OU = 15-3 in Big 12.

Texas is returning its top 2 pitchers next year in Elish and O'Leary. Plus over 90% of the starts in the outfield/infield next year assuming there isn't attrition. 

White should be looking to add one more  big bat via transfer because that team next year could definitely challenge for a national title.