Tom Brady Is UnFucking Real

Vic Mackey

Bradshaw, Staubach, Tarkenton, Kelly, Marino, Montana, Rothliesberger, Manning, Manning, Favre, etc all had great organizations with great coaches.  The MOST any of them went to the Super Bowl was 4 times.  
Pitt/Den/Ind/Bal were all well run teams with great personnel.  None went to the AFC Champ game 13/17 years or to the Super Bowl 9 times in 17 years.
Every single one of the teams plays by the same salary cap rules as NE.  None of the other 31 teams come close to their appearances in the AFC Champ game or the Super Bowl  
So in actuality, these BS arguments you are making actually support the notion that TB is easily and unquestionably the greatest ever.  Montana's teams were stacked with hall of famers, as were the Broncos, Steelers, Cowboys, Bills.  Brady had Moss.  Plenty of other good players, but none that will be in the HOF except probably Gronk.
So your mentioned points don't help your argument, they hurt them.
Go away troll.  You really can't be so stupid as to think these points make it any less obvious that TB is the best ever.
So you are making my point for me...the salary cap era has made it easier to get to the SB...like you said the older teams were stacked with talent. They had bigger drafts and they could keep the talent they drafted and developed much much easier. So like i mentioned earlier the pats have a huge advantage in this easier era. I have pointed out my reasons/opinions and would say they carry some weight in the discussion of greatest ever.

If your surrounded by bills jets dolphins browns bengals titans chargers jags raiders and a few more that cant ever figure it out then you stand a very good chance of playing lots and lots of playoff games

Thats why i dont think the 9SB vs 4SB carries significant weight as mentioned earlier

2 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Im in the camp(maybe alone) that the 9 vs 4 isnt that big of a factor in bradys favor.
Like mentioned earlier i could argue the salary cap made it easier to get to SB's rather than harder like others believe.
With salary cap you have to be smart true but when only 4 teams in your conference run a decent organization the salary cap keeps rest from throwing $$$ at the problem. Plus with a Great coach and Great QB who takes 10million a year less than market that puts you in a very strong position in salary cap era

You're definitely alone in that camp. Although with 1600+ posts and only 76 'likes', it wouldn't be the first time that nobody else agreed with your bad take. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

Salary cap started 93/94 i believe...

So then why didn't all those teams that could stack a team have a QB take them to the Super Bowl more than 4 times?

So then why didn't all the other teams post salary cap send a team to the Super bowl more than four times.

Again, you're a troll who can't really believe the nonsense you're spewing.  Please stop posting.

So then why didn't all those teams that could stack a team have a QB take them to the Super Bowl more than 4 times?
So then why didn't all the other teams post salary cap send a team to the Super bowl more than four times.
Again, you're a troll who can't really believe the nonsense you're spewing.  Please stop posting.
I have already said...did you read?

My thought is its easier now with teams not being able to hold on to talent like earlier and smaller drafts. Then you have only like 4 teams in AFC that run a good franchise. So with not much competition plus the bill/tom greatness it allows many many opportunities...

And keep in mind this is being brought up in the discussion for greatest of all time...said earlier today you cant compare era's

I started this saying you cant just say 9SB vs 4SB discussion over

It doesnt fly in nba with mj/lebron and shouldnt in the ultimate team game. If it did we can argue that joe never lost and brady lost twice to eli and also foles

4 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

I have already said...did you read?

My thought is its easier now with teams not being able to hold on to talent like earlier and smaller drafts. Then you have only like 4 teams in AFC that run a good franchise. So with not much competition plus the bill/tom greatness it allows many many opportunities...

So it's easier to win now because only 4 or so teams run a good franchise compared to back then when only 4 of so teams could afford to stack all the best players. Got it.

1 minute ago, Bone3421 said:

And keep in mind this is being brought up in the discussion for greatest of all time...said earlier today you cant compare era's

I started this saying you cant just say 9SB vs 4SB discussion over

It doesnt fly in nba with mj/lebron and shouldnt in the ultimate team game. If it did we can argue that joe never lost and brady lost twice to eli and also foles

He lost plenty. In much earlier rounds.

• Like 1

So it's easier to win now because only 4 or so teams run a good franchise compared to back then when only 4 of so teams could afford to stack all the best players. Got it.
Do you think teams not being to keep their homegrown players plus ineptitude in front offices is good for teams??

The myth of teams stacking teams thru $$$ in the old days is absurd...there was no FA's you could just keep and pay your players what ever

Old teams werent stealing players from other teams by $$$ whipping them...they were better by drafting 14rds i think it was and being able to keep the ones they drafted

7 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Exactly.  His logic:  Teams before the cap could stack so no one team could go to Super Bowl 9 times in 17 years.  Teams after the cap can't stack so no team (other than the Pats with Brady) could go to the Super Bowl 9 times in 17 years.  

Edited by smwhorn

Is it better to make a Super Bowl and lose, or lose in the conference championship instead?
That isnt the conversation....but i would say making the SB

But to also respond to earlier post ...i would argue it was much harder to run thru moon,elway,marino,kelly,kosar and those teams than salary cap era afc

Exactly.  His logic:  Teams before the cap could stack so no one team could go to Super Bowl 9 times in 17 years.  Teams after the cap can't stack so no team (other than the Pats with Brady) could go to the Super Bowl 9 times in 17 years.  
So you dont think a goat candidate qb who doesnt take market value in salary cap era paired with the also goat candidate is a huge advantage over the crap most of the afc puts out

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 3:35 PM, Vic Mackey said:

The only memories I have of Montana is with the Chiefs. All I know is all the highlights. Can someone explain to me why there are still so many who will defer to Montana as the best in front of Brady? Genuine question. Highlights don't do a player justice for their career.

Youngins...

3 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

In the nfl when the defender is 2 yards away thats wide open...and you pretty much said what im saying...he was mediocre and doesnt need the hyberole when teams blow it. Its not always how great him and bill are its the shakiness of others

Jerry Rice and Ricky Waters were often 7 yards open thanks to Walsh being 15 years ahead of the times, and people got used to the 49ers blowing out contenders.  But Montana was very efficient.  And on top of it all, as mentioned above, Joe could take off like an option qb and flip a busted play. And this was with whatever S&C existed in the barely scientific 1980s.  Scrambling the one thing Brady doesn't attempt, but is arguably part of the job.

I'd love to hear a long retired Belichek wax on what qbs he would choose in any era.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 4:35 PM, Vic Mackey said:

The only memories I have of Montana is with the Chiefs. All I know is all the highlights. Can someone explain to me why there are still so many who will defer to Montana as the best in front of Brady? Genuine question. Highlights don't do a player justice for their career.

Others have given good answers on Montana, but I think his biggest attribute was his attitude. Guy had ice water in his veins. He never got shook up. On the drive that won the Super Bowl against the Bengals, one of the linemen said they were all in the huddle at the start of the drive, nervous, and Montana looked up and said, "Hey, there's John Candy." He said they all looked over and John Candy was standing on the sidelines watching. Then he drove them the length of the field and threw the winning touchdown. 

• Like 1

That isnt the conversation....but i would say making the SB

But to also respond to earlier post ...i would argue it was much harder to run thru moon,elway,marino,kelly,kosar and those teams than salary cap era afc

Just the numbers make it harder now. In 1959, there were twelve NFL teams (AFL didn't exist) and one playoff game. In 1972, there were 26 total teams. Brady's run has been during an era of 32 NFL teams. With 12 teams, a team randomly has an 8.3% chance of going to the championship. With 26, the chance falls to 3.8% and with 32, 3.1%. The Patriots are the only dynasty during the 32 team era (Panthers, Jaguars, Ravens, and Texans were all added.) There's one champion each year, so the more teams, the more difficult it is to win.

As to your other argument, I have to disagree. The NFL has made it progressively harder to be successful year after year. What makes Brady the GOAT is the number of years he's been great. Most other QBs that have played to 40 spent a lot of their careers as backups. Brady's been a starter since his second year in the league. He's won his five Super Bowls over a fifteen year period. Montana is second in this, winning his four Super Bowls over a nine year period. Bradshaw won his four over a six year period. 

• Like 1

Good shit @richard kimball

Its impressive for sure but when talking greatest gotta nitpick where ya can

The same argument is used in baseball about how more teams means watered down pitching etc...not that im making the argument based on number of teams but im sure you understand the principle

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

Good shit @richard kimball

Its impressive for sure but when talking greatest gotta nitpick where ya can

The same argument is used in baseball about how more teams means watered down pitching etc...not that im making the argument based on number of teams but im sure you understand the principle

That's true. There aren't 32 starting quality QBs. Hell, there weren't 26 back in 1972. That's why they're grabbing third round level talent in the first round and guys like Kingsbury are getting HC jobs. 

That's true. There aren't 32 starting quality QBs. Hell, there weren't 26 back in 1972. That's why they're grabbing third round level talent in the first round and guys like Kingsbury are getting HC jobs. 
Yup and why i brought up the lack of FA and larger drafts...older teams could and did draft superstars in the 10th/12th rd
Unlike currently if you miss on rd1 qb and your screwed for 5 years

21 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Jordan was that big in those moments.  But yeah, TB12 is on the short list.  

Yeah, I concur. He's more in the else with Magic, and the older guys due to my age, so with me it'd LeBron, Kobe, and Durant. But I agree, Jordan was absolutely a freak, and maybe the most talented basketball player of all time. 

18 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

Others have given good answers on Montana, but I think his biggest attribute was his attitude. Guy had ice water in his veins. He never got shook up. On the drive that won the Super Bowl against the Bengals, one of the linemen said they were all in the huddle at the start of the drive, nervous, and Montana looked up and said, "Hey, there's John Candy." He said they all looked over and John Candy was standing on the sidelines watching. Then he drove them the length of the field and threw the winning touchdown. 

Don’t forget about the Bengals DB dropping a surefire int that would’ve ended the game, sometimes luck factors in also. 

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:12 PM, Richard Kimball said:

Others have given good answers on Montana, but I think his biggest attribute was his attitude. Guy had ice water in his veins. He never got shook up. On the drive that won the Super Bowl 

It was chicken soup in the drive that won the Cotton Bowl.  

Re: Montana -- the thing that made him great was that he elevated his game to a different level in the playoffs.  I remember we had a thread about this on Shag and I had looked up and posted the regular season and playoff stats of what most consider the "all-time great" QBs... the increase in QBR from the regular season to the playoffs was off-the-charts for Montana compared to the others.  IIRC, the other one who had a significant increase was Aikman.   Most of the others (Elway, Marino, etc.) all say their QBR decline during the playoffs, but both Brady and Manning were basically consistent with their regular season stats.

All of that said, up until maybe a few years ago, I had Montana as #1 all time over Brady.  But I have to concede now that Brady has passed him as #1 all-time.

You just can't argue with the sustained level of excellence that he's playing over a LONG period of time.

Would Brady have lasted this long if he played in the 80s with the same lack of protection that Montana had?  Probably not, but all we have is what he's accomplished today, and it's pretty incredible.

3 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Whatever happened to Joe Montana? For someone who was the best ever, he just kinda seemed like he quietly went away and is enjoying a peaceful and quiet retirement making royalty money or something off his likeness? I say that because it's like he's dead,  you never hear about him or from him unless it's in conversations like the one here. You'd think he'd be a great commentator or spokesperson for NFL or something, but I guess he enjoys quiet days and nights now.

Sounds like he's having a helluva time physically:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/02/04/joe-montana-pain-physical-ailment/79852754/

20 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah turns out playing QB in the 1980s was really bad for your health.

Apparently supporting medical doobage in California.  Can't really blame him with his physical pain.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2817564-hall-of-fame-qb-joe-montana-invests-in-legal-marijuana-company-caliva&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Yeah turns out playing QB in the 1980s was really bad for your health.

There’s an NFL films about that NFC CG against the Giants, and more specifically how that started Montana’s slow move to the Chiefs and retirement. The hit he took broke a hand, several ribs, and bruised 1/2 his internal organs. 91 Young takes over due to his elbow injury.

This year QBs holding the ball get their jersey grazed and it roughing the passer. Different era.

In the decades of salary cap and league wide parity, people are arguing it is easier to make it to the Super Bowl? LOL

Why was it that you saw these streaks where teams made multi year runs in the 70s, 80s and early 90s? Because they had stockpiled the most HOFers, pro bowlers, quality depth. 60s Packers, Chiefs, Raiders, Cowboys...70s Steelers, Cowboys, Vikings, Raiders(?)...80s 49ers, Broncos, Giants...90s Cowboys, Bills. Many of the GOAT QB nominees came from these teams, because playing on those teams gave them the opportunity to maximize their talent, but also to help win a lot of games against less deep teams. In the post salary cap world of HOF QBs, you have Steve Young making one SB with a lot of talent, Brett Favre making two SBs with a lot of talent and Holmgren, Peyton Manning making three SBs despite a career with pretty stacked teams in Indy and Denver, Roethlisberger made 3 with deep Pittsburgh teams. Then you have Brady making 9! It seems like a statistical outlier to throw out a statement that it’s easier to build a dominant team and beat out the equally deep competition vs Montana, Bradshaw, or Staubach mowing through a bunch of average teams with their all star posses and only making 3 or 4 SBs each during their careers. 

No one would say that most of these Patriots teams are loaded with top end talent. Every year they have a couple great complementary players but what has been consistent for 17 years is Brady and Belichick. If you think Brady is not the GOAT, you better be hailing Belichick as ten times the coach that Lombardi, Landry, Knoll, is Walsh were. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

In the decades of salary cap and league wide parity, people are arguing it is easier to make it to the Super Bowl? LOL

Why was it that you saw these streaks where teams made multi year runs in the 70s, 80s and early 90s? Because they had stockpiled the most HOFers, pro bowlers, quality depth. 60s Packers, Chiefs, Raiders, Cowboys...70s Steelers, Cowboys, Vikings, Raiders(?)...80s 49ers, Broncos, Giants...90s Cowboys, Bills. Many of the GOAT QB nominees came from these teams, because playing on those teams gave them the opportunity to maximize their talent, but also to help win a lot of games against less deep teams. In the post salary cap world of HOF QBs, you have Steve Young making one SB with a lot of talent, Brett Favre making two SBs with a lot of talent and Holmgren, Peyton Manning making three SBs despite a career with pretty stacked teams in Indy and Denver, Roethlisberger made 3 with deep Pittsburgh teams. Then you have Brady making 9! It seems like a statistical outlier to throw out a statement that it’s easier to build a dominant team and beat out the equally deep competition vs Montana, Bradshaw, or Staubach mowing through a bunch of average teams with their all star posses and only making 3 or 4 SBs each during their careers. 

No one would say that most of these Patriots teams are loaded with top end talent. Every year they have a couple great complementary players but what has been consistent for 17 years is Brady and Belichick. If you think Brady is not the GOAT, you better be hailing Belichick as ten times the coach that Lombardi, Landry, Knoll, is Walsh were. 

It's hard to name another coach head and shoulders above the competition like BB.  Bill Walsh may be the most recent one running the West Coast when most defenses were built to stop the I form.

That is my argument...the teams in 70's and 80's were better and deeper throughout the whole league and could keep talent they drafted...Now you have teams that cant keep their talent and cant manage a salary cap

Bills jets dolphins have been garbage for 20 years with 2 outliers...browns trash...oakland trash...texans jags titans not good either

When you only have to get by manning ben and flacco as threats its much easier than running thru marino elway moon kosar boomer and others back in the day

And yes bill is the goat coach imo amd with a top 3 qb its no wonder they run roughshod over crappy afc last 20 years

And if the rams win they will be 5-4 in SB and should clue some in that the afc is not a tough conference last 20 years...they are great player and coach but when it comes to greatest ever i dont think the 9 vs 4 SB is a strong argument comparing the eras...that is my point

He is in discussion as goat but im not just going to give it to him just because someone says 9SB...there is more to the conversation imo

And if the rams win they will be 5-4 in SB and should clue some in that the afc is not a tough conference last 20 years...they are great player and coach but when it comes to greatest ever i dont think the 9 vs 4 SB is a strong argument comparing the eras...that is my point

He is in discussion as goat but im not just going to give it to him just because someone says 9SB...there is more to the conversation imo

well your point is not supported by the evidence.  If its so fucking easy to get to the SB, how come no other QBs have done it?  the most of the others in the Brady era is Manning who had three and Ben who had three.  

I'm curious how old you are.

That is my argument...the teams in 70's and 80's were better and deeper throughout the whole league and could keep talent they drafted...Now you have teams that cant keep their talent and cant manage a salary cap

Bills jets dolphins have been garbage for 20 years with 2 outliers...browns trash...oakland trash...texans jags titans not good either

When you only have to get by manning ben and flacco as threats its much easier than running thru marino elway moon kosar boomer and others back in the day

And yes bill is the goat coach imo amd with a top 3 qb its no wonder they run roughshod over crappy afc last 20 years

There are a finite number of roster spots in all generations, and a finite number of good players. It isn’t like all 28 teams were stacked with 100 pro bowlers each. At different times, there were one or two stacked teams and a lot of average and crappy teams. Now, there are usually a couple very good teams and a lot more of average to above average teams, and without the ability to stock pile yourself that Montana’s 49ers did for example. In any given season in the 80s, they might have had one or two good teams (Bears, Giants?) and one or two above average teams (Eagles, Redskins?) and some years none of them held a flame to SF. During all these Superbowls Tom has had to overcome Manning and the Colts, McNair’s Titans, Roethlisberger and the Steelers, Ray Lewis and the Ravens, Rivers and the Chargers, a few incantations of the Broncos, and now Mahomes and the Chiefs, etc. while Brady has a cast of misfit WRs and RBs and a defense that is constantly turning over personnel. I think you must be trolling. 

You are seriously overhyping the 70s and 80s. It was full of shit ass teams just like now. Nothing different. People do this for the NBA all the time when discussing the 90s. Acting like that was the best era ever in basketball.

All you have to say is you are not a Brady fan. That would be better than throwing out all these arguments that are really weak.

Edited by Vic Mackey

well your point is not supported by the evidence.  If its so fucking easy to get to the SB, how come no other QBs have done it?  the most of the others in the Brady era is Manning who had three and Ben who had three.  
I'm curious how old you are.
40 years old...im pointing out how the afc has been trash and when you have a goat coach and arguably goat qb with easy trash competition you get the 9 SB and afc championship game every year....todays era is watered down

There are a finite number of roster spots in all generations, and a finite number of good players. It isn’t like all 28 teams were stacked with 100 pro bowlers each. At different times, there were one or two stacked teams and a lot of average and crappy teams. Now, there are usually a couple very good teams and a lot more of average to above average teams, and without the ability to stock pile yourself that Montana’s 49ers did for example. In any given season in the 80s, they might have had one or two good teams (Bears, Giants?) and one or two above average teams (Eagles, Redskins?) and some years none of them held a flame to SF. During all these Superbowls Tom has had to overcome Manning and the Colts, McNair’s Titans, Roethlisberger and the Steelers, Ray Lewis and the Ravens, Rivers and the Chargers, a few incantations of the Broncos, and now Mahomes and the Chiefs, etc. while Brady has a cast of misfit WRs and RBs and a defense that is constantly turning over personnel. I think you must be trolling. 
Lol at chargers...they have never been a championship team...mcnair titans were done after SB in 2002? Chiefs? Ried us 1-5 in playoffs there trash team ....ravens steelers and manning indy/colt thats thats it for 20 years

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

You are seriously overhyping the 70s and 80s. It was full of shit ass teams just like now. Nothing different. People do this for the NBA all the time when discussing the 90s. Acting like that was the best era ever in basketball.

All you have to say is you are not a Brady fan. That would be better than throwing out all these arguments that are really weak.

He's a fucking troll.  There's no way he actually believes that 9 SB vs. 3 SB from Brady's era is "watered down."  He just can't be that fucking stupid.

He's a fucking troll.  There's no way he actually believes that 9 SB vs. 3 SB from Brady's era is "watered down."  He just can't be that fucking stupid.

Why cant you believe that having the goat coach goat candidate qb who takes less $$$ than market value and a great organization is head and shoulders above the garbage afc franchises of the last 20 years...yall just keep saying 9SB...who the fuck did they have to beat?

Ravens steelers and manning thats it...they have no competition in afc east

Oh, you're a Steamboat sock.
Yall just cant talk about goat with looking at whole picture...redskins went to 4 SB in 9 years during joes time
Giants won 2. Bears with that d and rams were no slouch either...also you had the cowboys who went to 3 straight nfc championships 80 81 82...joe had to get thru all them and then beat boomer/marino/elway in the SB

I dont think in salary cap era with losses to eli/foles and wins over delhome?/mcnabb/ryan(choke)/wilson(dumb)...is the end all be all like some