Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I agree but I think he will be signed as a WR. He is pretty similar to Higgins but seems to be tougher.

Or they'll just call him an athlete

Smith wants to decide over the summer, so if he picks elsewhere, I wonder if we then move on to Ellis or Ainias? 

E.J. Holland: Four-star Louisiana ATH Christian Harris recaps Texas visit

Texas hosted a small contingent of visitors this weekend. One out-of-state prospect that made his way to campus was four-star University Lab (La.) athlete Christian Harris, who enjoyed his time on the Forty Acres. “The visit was great, man,” Harris said. “I brought my parents and my girlfriend, and we all had a great time. I would say my favorite part was sitting with the head coach (Tom Herman) with my family and just talking and getting to know him. He’s a great guy and a great coach.”

Texas extended an offer to Harris earlier this offseason. While Alabama and LSU are considered the favorites in his recruitment, Harris recently listed Texas in his Top 10 and said his interest level is high. So where exactly do the Longhorns stand after the visit?

“I have a lot of interest in Texas,” Harris said. “I could definitely see myself being a part of their program. What I liked most about the program might be how they were saying they’re building a dynasty. They’re about to add to the stadium. They have great coaches who are experts at what they do. They also have great players who are willing to do anything to be the best. The coaches expect nothing less from their players, and they will push you to be as great as you can be.”

One of the most versatile prospects in the country, Harris has the potential to play multiple positions at the next level. But Texas really likes him on the defensive side of the ball. “They want me playing inside linebacker like most schools,” Harris said. “I would be doing similar things to what Malik (Jefferson) was doing last season.” Harris will visit Texas A&M tomorrow. He plans to sign during the early signing period. At 6-foot-1, 225 pounds, Harris is ranked as the No. 13 athlete in the country and No. 7 overall prospect in the state of Louisiana, per 247Sports Composite.

Luke Stampini: THE OPENING Dallas Preview

EULESS, Texas — The Opening Regional hits the Dallas area on Sunday, where several elite prospects are expected to compete in the camp looking for an invite to The Opening Finals in June. 247Sports will be on hand to bring you standout performers and recruiting scoop for many of the top recruits in the camp. The following is a preview of the top prospects on the roster to compete.

QUARTERBACKS

Washington four-star commit Dylan Morris of Graham (Wash.) Graham-Kapowsin headlines the quarterback group. Texas commit Roschon Johnson of Port Neches (Texas) Port Neches-Groves, Ole Miss commit Grant Tisdale of Allen (Texas), Colorado commit Ty Evans of Monument (Colo.) Palmer Ridge, and Iowa State commit Easton Dean of Altamont (Kan.) Labette County are other top arms planning to throw as well.

The 2020 quarterback class is also well represented in the camp. Oklahoma four-star commit Drew Sanders of Colleyville (Texas) Heritage is set to compete. Auburn, Texas, Ohio State and many others have already offered Austin (Texas) Lake Travis four-star Hudson Card, who is on the roster. Weatherford (Texas) four-star Ken Seals, Duncanville (Texas) four-star Ja’Quinden Jackson, and Hazen (Ark.) four-star Blayne Toll are also members of the 2020 recruiting class set to compete at the quarterback position.

WIDE RECEIVERS/TIGHT ENDS

A loaded group of pass catchers expected to show their stuff on Sunday, including Austin (Texas) Lake Travis five-star Garrett Wilson. The 6-foot, 185-pound Wilson is down to Texas and Ohio State with a decision likely to come in the near future.

A pair of Oklahoma wide receiver commits are set to compete with five-star Theo Wease and four-star commit Trejan Bridges. Baylor wide receiver commit Jaylen Ellis of Round Rock (Texas) Cedar Ridge, Texas A&M four-star wide receiver commit Kam Brown of Colleyville (Texas) Heritage, Texas Tech wide receiver commit Cameron Cantrell of Whitehouse (Texas), Louisiana Tech wide receiver commit Kiaeem Green of New Orleans (La.) Warren Easton, and Nebraska tight end commit Garrett Snodgrass of York (Neb.) are other pass catchers in the camp.

Oklahoma City (Okla.) Millwood four-star Demariyon Houston, Amite (La.) four-star wide receiver Devonta Lee, Orem (Utah) four-star wide receiver Puka Nacua, Kentwood (La.) four-star Trey Palmer, and Omaha (Neb.) Burke four-star tight end Chris Hickman are also on the roster.

The pass catching talent is not limited to the 2019 class, as several elite 2020 recruits are also set to show their stuff. Tulsa (Okla.) Booker T. Washington four-star wide receiver Javian Hester, Baton Rouge (La.) Southern Lab four-star wide receiver Reginald Johnson, Bellevue (Neb.) four-star wide receiver Zavier Betts, Frisco (Texas) Lone Star four-star wide receiver Marvin Mims, Keller (Texas) Central four-star wide receiver DJ Graham, and Jackson (Miss.) Academy four-star wide receiver E. Jai Mason are the top 2020 pass catchers in the camp.

RUNNING BACKS

Ole Miss four-star commit Jerrion Ealy and LSU four-star commit Tyrion Davis of New Orleans (La.) Southern Lab headline the running back group. Nebraska commit Thomas Grayson of Tulsa (Okla.) Booker T. Washington and Oklahoma 2020 four-star commit Jase McClellan of Aledo (Texas) are also on the roster.

The elite 2020 running back recruits include Scottsdale (Ariz.) Chaparral four-star Darvon Hubbard, Dallas (Texas) Jesuit four-star EJ Smith, and Mesquite (Texas) Poteet four-star Seth McGowan

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN

Oklahoma four-star offensive guard commit EJ Ndoma-Ogar of Allen (Texas) and Kapolei (Hawaii) four-star offensive tackle Julius Buelow are the top recruits among the offensive line group. Iowa offensive tackle commit Noah Fenske of New Hampton (Iowa), TCU offensive tackle commit Justin Osborne of Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy, Southern Miss offensive center commit Louis Smith of Biloxi (Miss.) D’Iberville, and Ole Miss offensive guard commit Bryce Ramsey of Gulfport (Miss.) Harrison Central are also on the roster.

The top 2020 offensive linemen include Oklahoma four-star offensive tackle commit Andrew Raym of Broken Arrow (Okla.), Waco (Texas) Connally four-star offensive tackle Trent Pullen, and Prosper (Texas) four-star offensive tackle Jake Majors.

DEFENSIVE LINE

The defensive line group is yet another stacked position in Sunday’s camp. Amite (La.) five-star defensive tackle Ishmael Sopsher, Seminary (Miss.) four-star defensive end Nathan Pickering, and Fort Worth (Texas) Nolan Catholic four-star defensive end NaNa Osafo-Mensah. LSU is very much in it for Sopsher, while the Tigers, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi State, and others chase Pickering. Osafo-Mensah is down to Notre Dame and Texas.

Mississippi State has a pair of four-star defensive end commits participating with Charles Moore of Louisville (Miss.) and De’Monte Russell of Jackson (Miss.) Provine. Texas Tech four-star defensive end commit Steven Parker of Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff, Rice defensive end commit Justin Moore of Addison (Texas) Trinity Christian, Northwestern defensive end commit Adetomiwa Adebawore of Kansas City (Mo.) North Kansas City, and Kansas State defensive tackle commit Cooper Beebe of Kansas City (Kan.) Piper are other pledges set to perform.

Wichita (Kan.) Northwest four-star defensive end Marcus Hicks, Laurel (Miss.) West Jones four-star defensive end Byron Young, Lucedale (Miss.) George County 2020 four-star defensive tackle McKinnley Jackson, Haynesville (La.) 2020 four-star defensive tackle Camron Jackson, and Alexandria (La.) 2020 four-star defensive tackle Jacobian Guillory round out the defensive line group.

LINEBACKER

Ole Miss four-star commit Diwun Black headlines the linebacker group. Clemson linebacker commit Bryton Constantin of Baton Rouge (La.) University Lab, LSU commit Zach Edwards of Starkville (Miss.), and Gulfport (Miss.) four-star linebacker Derick Hall are the other top prospects in the position group.

DEFENSIVE BACKS

Matching up with the elite wide receivers on Sunday will be an elite group of defensive backs. Baton Rouge (La.) Dunham School five-star cornerback Derek Stingley, who has LSU leading, and Texas A&M five-star safety commit Brian Williams of Dallas (Texas) Bishop Dunne headline the group. Masnfield (Texas) Legacy four-star safety Jalen Catalon, Tulsa (Okla.) Booker T. Washington four-star safety Daxton Hill, Aledo (Texas) four-star cornerback Jeffery Carter and Slidell (La.) four-star safety Ishmael Burdine are more top defensive backs expected to compete.

Oklahoma four-star safety commit Jarrian Jones of Flowood (Miss.) Northwest Rankin, Texas A&M four-star safety commit Demani Richardson of Waxahachie (Texas), Illinois four-star cornerback commit Marquez Beason of Dallas (Texas) Bishop Dunne, Oklahoma State cornerback commit Demarco Jones of Tulsa (Okla.) Booker T. Washington, TCU cornerback commit Williams Jones of Arlington (Texas) Mansfield Summit, Oregon cornerback commit Marques Caldwell of Alvin (Texas), Arkansas cornerback commit Malik Chavis of Rison (Ark.), and Baylor safety commit Hakeem Vance of Olive Branch (Miss.) Lewisburg are on the roster as well.

Elite 2020 defensive backs Southlake (Texas) Carroll four-star cornerback RJ Mickens, Jackson (Miss.) Provine four-star cornerback Javorrius Selmon, Lancaster (Texas) four-star cornerback Lorando Johnson, Waco (Texas) Connally 2020 four-star cornerback Korie Black, Carrollton (Texas) Hebron four-star safety Darius Snow, Duncanville (Texas) four-star safety Chris Thompson Jr., and Lufkin (Texas) four-star safety Jerrin Thompson will participate Sunday as well.

Edited by satyanash

14 hours ago, Machinator said:

Carrington has zero experience coaching.

Not that it matters, but Mike Leach never played football.  He finished law school in 1986 and then starting coaching as an OL coach in 1987.  

Carrington seems to be a leader and can relate to the players.  Does this make a coach, no but it lays a foundation.  Trust is paramount when leading young men, and this guy has it.  If he wanted to get into coaching, I think it may be worth the risk.  

Just now, ShowmeyourTDs said:

Not that it matters, but Mike Leach never played football.  He finished law school in 1986 and then starting coaching as an OL coach in 1987.  

Carrington seems to be a leader and can relate to the players.  Does this make a coach, no but it lays a foundation.  Trust is paramount when leading young men, and this guy has it.  If he wanted to get into coaching, I think it may be worth the risk.  

Putting a guy with zero coaching background as one of your ten assistants would be patently stupid. He needs to go the grad assistant, QC, or high school ranks route first. 

Leach started out at Cal Poly, then went to College of the Desert, Iowa Wesleyan, and then Valdosta State. That's a bit different than cutting your teeth as one of the ten assistant coaches at Texas. A move like that would reek of desperation. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

There's a huge difference between Cal Poly and the University of Texas.

Edit: what Fud said

Edited by Machinator

56 minutes ago, Machinator said:

So, what happened?

I think he's on a self imposed gag order on Wilson.  Fuck it all.  He had interest, loved his OSU visit, and will claim he's locked in to them tonight.  Tom will and should keep recruiting him until the end though.

Edited by ClubWhatever

the second that EJNO committed to OU, you knew Barton was gonna get in line to suck him off after the Rivals guys were finished. The fucking guy is out of balance more often the Kenyon Green, esp when moving backwards or laterally. He is what he is - a fucking straight ahead mauler, he's fucking great at that.

Wilkins and Pickering. DO. WANT.