Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Oh fun, I’m sure this news will just go over great and won’t be overreacted to at all

Only for those people who believed the click bait bull shit that we can sign Bru, Sanders or Cain. 

Its likely now we are going to flip Coker, sign Johnson, Hookfin and Glass and we have to hope we hang on to Washington. 

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

Only for those people who believed the click bait bull shit that we can sign Bru, Sanders or Cain. 

Its likely now we are going to flip Coker, sign Johnson, Hookfin and Glass and we have to hope we hang on to Washington. 

Add Lewis to that list as well

IT

TEAM

Freshman Mike Williams shocked everyone when he up and left the team this past week.

"Nobody saw that coming," said a source.

So what happened? "It wasn't homesickness as far as I know. He wasn't happy with not playing. Red-shirting is frustrating for players to go through."

Okay, but now it will be even longer before he plays, and was he better than people ahead of them (I asked rhetorically)? Should he have been playing? "I guess he could have played because of the new rules, but I don't think he was ready mentally. Physically, sure, but he wasn't assignment sound."

I asked if there was a chance he could come back. "Really doubtful, once you quit like that it's a really bad statement if you let the player return. If he would have just talked it over with someone things would have probably gone differently."

Indeed. This isn't Youngblood where you get to quit, go home and become mentally tougher, and then two weeks later return to lead your team to victory.

That written, Williams isn't officially gone yet. We'll let Texas declare that when/if it becomes time.

Toneil Carter packed his stuff up and left last night, so that chapter is officially closed. Where's he going? "Sam Houston State, maybe. Coaches will overlook one-time transgressions, or even a failed drug test or two, but coaches aren't going to overlook bad attitudes and excuse makers. That reputation gets out."

I asked about the rumors of players being academically ineligible or suspended for the bowl game. "Some guys have finals they need to take and pass but I'm confident they'll be good to go. No suspensions, but they should know they'll be tested like they were last year when Carter and Humphrey missed the bowl game."

What about practices? "Light duty for the older guys, lots of work for the freshmen, red-shirts, and walk-ons. Lots of emphasis on developing them."

RECRUITING

Andrew Coker, Katy Taylor - OL: As long as he made it to campus I was feeling pretty good about the staff reeling him in, but I checked a 247 report with my TCU source and he said that report was accurate. The report effectively stated Coker has told TCU coaches he'll sign with the Horned Frogs. Up until Thursday or Friday I was thinking the visit wouldn't take place because word out of his high school was he was going to sign with TCU on Wednesday. The visit was surprising to many non-Texas sources. So is TCU still worried? Definitely. "You know how these things can go," as the TCU source put it.

Trey Sanders, IMG - RB: I can confidently tell you that Texas is confident that they're squarely in this recruitment. I think the relationships are built well enough and Sanders is comfortable enough in Austin to where he would be happy in burnt orange. He gives Texas commits, coaches, and staffers good feedback. There's enough smoke about his interest in UT that I've received some random messages about UT being in good position. I think it has a lot of people surprised throughout his region. I've been prickishly negative regarding UT's chances over the last month or so after giving UT a big bounce in November. Once I heard Georgia was making a move I felt the same as the person who told me about Georgia: This would come down to UGA and Bama. Bama has since faded. I won't believe Texas has a legit chance to close this out unless the source who told me Georgia was surging gives me reason. I'll likely talk to that person tomorrow and probably every day until Signing Day.

Bru McCoy, Mater Dei - WR: I posted last night that if McCoy had already taken his official visit to USC I'd have UT as the favorite. But Helton held on to that pesky official visit and McCoy made the very short trip this weekend. My confidence on this one isn't that Texas is confident it is in it like with Sanders, it's that Texas feels it is going to pull it off. I've been pretty bullish on McCoy down the stretch, only to lose some confidence with Helton being retained and hiring Kliff Kingsbury. By now I was expecting to hear Texas gave it the old college try but that's not what I'm hearing. There's some credible confidence in this recruitment, and just overall different circumstances and variables.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Add Lewis to that list as well

Shit. Forgot about Lewis. Close with Lewis, Coker, Johnson, Hookfin, Glass and hang on for dear life for Washington. 

If we lose Washington or Warren (seems unlikely) use the next two months two find a suitable replacement. 

Edited by Newy25

48 minutes ago, TtomTerrific said:

Now, in the 60's there were only two other cars made in America that had positraction and indepedent rear suspension.  One was the Corvette, which could never be confused with a Buick Skylark. The other had the same body length, height, width, weight, wheel base and wheel track as the '64 Skylark and that was the 1963 Pontiac Tempest.

And because both cars were made by GM, were both cars available in metallic mint green paint?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Reveal hidden contents

TEAM

Freshman Mike Williams shocked everyone when he up and left the team this past week.

"Nobody saw that coming," said a source.

So what happened? "It wasn't homesickness as far as I know. He wasn't happy with not playing. Red-shirting is frustrating for players to go through."

Okay, but now it will be even longer before he plays, and was he better than people ahead of them (I asked rhetorically)? Should he have been playing? "I guess he could have played because of the new rules, but I don't think he was ready mentally. Physically, sure, but he wasn't assignment sound."

I asked if there was a chance he could come back. "Really doubtful, once you quit like that it's a really bad statement if you let the player return. If he would have just talked it over with someone things would have probably gone differently."

Indeed. This isn't Youngblood where you get to quit, go home and become mentally tougher, and then two weeks later return to lead your team to victory.

That written, Williams isn't officially gone yet. We'll let Texas declare that when/if it becomes time.

Toneil Carter packed his stuff up and left last night, so that chapter is officially closed. Where's he going? "Sam Houston State, maybe. Coaches will overlook one-time transgressions, or even a failed drug test or two, but coaches aren't going to overlook bad attitudes and excuse makers. That reputation gets out."

I asked about the rumors of players being academically ineligible or suspended for the bowl game. "Some guys have finals they need to take and pass but I'm confident they'll be good to go. No suspensions, but they should know they'll be tested like they were last year when Carter and Humphrey missed the bowl game."

What about practices? "Light duty for the older guys, lots of work for the freshmen, red-shirts, and walk-ons. Lots of emphasis on developing them."

RECRUITING

Andrew Coker, Katy Taylor - OL: As long as he made it to campus I was feeling pretty good about the staff reeling him in, but I checked a 247 report with my TCU source and he said that report was accurate. The report effectively stated Coker has told TCU coaches he'll sign with the Horned Frogs. Up until Thursday or Friday I was thinking the visit wouldn't take place because word out of his high school was he was going to sign with TCU on Wednesday. The visit was surprising to many non-Texas sources. So is TCU still worried? Definitely. "You know how these things can go," as the TCU source put it.

Trey Sanders, IMG - RB: I can confidently tell you that Texas is confident that they're squarely in this recruitment. I think the relationships are built well enough and Sanders is comfortable enough in Austin to where he would be happy in burnt orange. He gives Texas commits, coaches, and staffers good feedback. There's enough smoke about his interest in UT that I've received some random messages about UT being in good position. I think it has a lot of people surprised throughout his region. I've been prickishly negative regarding UT's chances over the last month or so after giving UT a big bounce in November. Once I heard Georgia was making a move I felt the same as the person who told me about Georgia: This would come down to UGA and Bama. Bama has since faded. I won't believe Texas has a legit chance to close this out unless the source who told me Georgia was surging gives me reason. I'll likely talk to that person tomorrow and probably every day until Signing Day.

Bru McCoy, Mater Dei - WR: I posted last night that if McCoy had already taken his official visit to USC I'd have UT as the favorite. But Helton held on to that pesky official visit and McCoy made the very short trip this weekend. My confidence on this one isn't that Texas is confident it is in it like with Sanders, it's that Texas feels it is going to pull it off. I've been pretty bullish on McCoy down the stretch, only to lose some confidence with Helton being retained and hiring Kliff Kingsbury. By now I was expecting to hear Texas gave it the old college try but that's not what I'm hearing. There's some credible confidence in this recruitment, and just overall different circumstances and variables.

They need to stop doing this. Wells has a thing on Higgins today about how we will finish second but a closer second than we thought. 

Have to drive those clicks, man. 

Y’all do this to yourself every year.  This place will be unbearable when everyone melts down that we did not get Sanders, Bru, Cain.

Also, closing with Glass, Lewis, Coker as replacements is fucking “‘meh”.  Obviously this staff likes to take raw kids with potential.  Hopefully they can be contributors at some point.  But these aren’t guys that aren’t going to win you a championship.  

• Like 3

Just now, Machinator said:

Alabama did offer, but it's obviously a Saban offer so that doesn't mean as much as it usually does.

Anyway, he's not the secret visitor.

Oklahoma State is recruiting him. Like linebackers and defensive linemen at TCU or offensive linemen at Oklahoma, that means more to me than some ceremonial, non commitable Alabama offer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

Oklahoma State is recruiting him. Like linebackers and defensive linemen at TCU or offensive linemen at Oklahoma, that means more to me than some ceremonial, non commitable Alabama offer. 

OK State WR offers actually mean more to me. That's part of why I was a Demariyon Houston fan.

4 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

The same guy who offers 500 kids a year we should be excited about every kid he offers or visits?

Also offered by Miami, Michigan, Florida St, LSU, ou.....a lot of other schools, but yeah, beneath us.  

I get it, all these schools are doing the ceremonial offer to bait Mensa Tom into reaching.  

Edited by Barry_McCokiner
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Y’all do this to yourself every year.  This place will be unbearable when everyone melts down that we did not get Sanders, Bru, Cain.

Also, closing with Glass, Lewis, Coker as replacements is fucking “‘meh”.  Obviously this staff likes to take raw kids with potential.  Hopefully they can be contributors at some point.  But these aren’t guys that aren’t going to win you a championship.  

giphy-downsized.gif

• Like 1