2019 Spring Game: April 13, 6:30 PM

Machinator

Everyone knows that the 4i designation is the worst.  What kind of Joe Average Fanboi wants to know the specifics on where a defender is lining up, relative to the offensive line?  That makes it way to obvious that you then have to think about gap responsibilities for the front seven (Or six. Or five. Oy!) defenders and how they, too, match up against the offense's splits.

Next you're going to tell me that you have to account for additional gaps when the offense pulls a guard or tackle (or, oh holy fuck, both???).  That's way too much work.

Take me back to the days of the 5-2, please.  Cover all the linemen up with a DL and let the LBs run free!  (What's that, you say?  The 5-2 front and a 3-2-6 actually look and function very similarly?  Fuck that noise!)

27 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Actual stupid football question.

In our 3-4, we've got the NT, the 4i, and then what's the designation for the 3rd guy?

It really all depends on our formation and personnel becuase Orlando mixes stuff up so much, but in general, our base scheme is a NT lined up at 0 tech (head over center) and both DEs at 4i (inside shoulder of the tackle). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Actual stupid football question.

In our 3-4, we've got the NT, the 4i, and then what's the designation for the 3rd guy?

They usually both line up in the 4i, and one of them gets "covered up" by the B-backer, while the other is usually flanked by the overhang defender.

That's why it looks a lot like a 5-2 (or pure 3-4) defense.  It's a defensive alignment that's very close to perfectly balanced across the formation.

• Like 1

TFB post-spring game thoughts: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/04/open-post-tuesday-april-16th/

Post Spring Game Quick Thoughts
– Darius Terrell

– The weather was beautiful at the beginning of the event and Texas had a very nice turnout as well. It was a very windy evening and once the sun disappeared for the day, so did a lot of onlookers. Overall, I thought that the university did an awesome job today putting on this event.

– I was pleasantly surprised to see Texas decide to scrimmage the first-team units against each other and the second-team units against each other. Outside of Samuel Cosmi, Sam Ehlinger, and Malcolm Roach, everyone got a ton of reps today.

– Keondre Coburn was your starter with the first-team defense at Nose Guard over Gerald Wilbon. Coburn stepping up would be ENORMOUS for Texas along the defensive front. All signs are pointing in the right direction.

– Chris Brown and Montrell Estell were the starting safeties while D’Shawn Jamison and Jalen Green were the starters at Corner. We expected Caden Sterns and Brandon Jones to be out. It was news to see Anthony Cook being held out as a precautionary measure.

– Last year, when asked about redshirting players, Tom Herman mentioned Jalen Green as a guy that they found work for last season because Green “isn’t a guy that’s going to be here for 4 years.” Green gave the Longhorn nation more than a few glimpses of his talent on Saturday. He was all over Malcolm Epps and any other WR that he lined up across from.

– I thought that Sam Ehlinger looked a little rusty, but I’m going to choose not to freak out over him not looking great today and I’m going to recommend that the people reading this do the same. The conditions today weren’t ideal and he missed a few throws, which is going to happen from time to time. On the interception to Jeffrey McCulloch, Ehlinger looked like he predetermined his target before the snap and McCulloch was all over it. Ehlinger avoided those type of silly mistakes in 2018 and I expect it to continue in 2019. Moving on.

– Redshirt Freshman QB Casey Thompson didn’t look quick today. He looked FAST. Thompson also stood in the pocket and delivered some very nice balls over the middle while facing pressure. That won’t go unnoticed in the film room by his teammates or coaches. I was impressed with Thompson today.

– Cameron Dicker was good from 36 and 52 yards in the first half today. Dicker the kicker has everyone’s confidence and gave no reason for anyone to feel differently after today. His attempt from 60 yards may have been good if not for the wind.

– DeMarvion Overshown made his presence felt today. #31 showed up in my notes numerous times when I looked over them before writing this. The blow that he delivered to Casey Thompson stopping him short of scoring a touchdown sticks out as his most memorable of the night for myself.

– Jordan Whittington is the real deal. He was clearly gassed as the staff got him a ton of touches today, but the impact that he’s had and is going to have coming out the backfield is going to be invaluable this season.

– Bru McCoy is going to be a fan favorite during his time in Austin. A chorus of “Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuu” broke out among the fans in attendance after McCoy received his first touch.

– Texas is going to have some questions to answer when it comes to figuring out what they’re going to do if anything were to happen to All-Conference Center Zach Shackelford. Following Jeff McCulloch’s interception and return to the 1-yard line, the second unit had snap issues on 3 out of 4 plays. Casey Thompson’s rushing touchdown came on a scramble after a poor snap.

– Brennan Eagles was noticeably quiet today. I did not notice him on the field until after halftime. I’ve always liked Jordan Pouncey and he made some plays today, I just don’t see how Texas is going to get him on the field.

– It is very difficult to tell the difference between Joseph Ossai, Byron Vaughns, and Peter Mpagi physically. As a whole, the Texas team looked like a million bucks tonight. Strength and Conditioning Head Coach Yancy McKnight continues to prove that he is worth every penny.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

– Cameron Dicker was good from 36 and 52 yards in the first half today. Dicker the kicker has everyone’s confidence and gave no reason for anyone to feel differently after today. His attempt from 60 yards may have been good if not for the wind.

Wind... and looked like Cuz didn't get the hold up very well. From 60, with the wind swirling, it clanged the upright, yeah? Not. Too. Shabby.

On 4/15/2019 at 11:13 AM, Sheep Have Wool said:

3,400 posts to cement your status before you start trolling? I've got to commend your patience, because no one could actually be this dumb, right?

On the off chance you're just a moron, read this and understand you're embodying it right now.

well he is a sooner so yes he can actually be this dumb...

12 hours ago, Machinator said:

TFB post-spring game thoughts: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/04/open-post-tuesday-april-16th/

Reveal hidden contents

Post Spring Game Quick Thoughts
– Darius Terrell

– The weather was beautiful at the beginning of the event and Texas had a very nice turnout as well. It was a very windy evening and once the sun disappeared for the day, so did a lot of onlookers. Overall, I thought that the university did an awesome job today putting on this event.

– I was pleasantly surprised to see Texas decide to scrimmage the first-team units against each other and the second-team units against each other. Outside of Samuel Cosmi, Sam Ehlinger, and Malcolm Roach, everyone got a ton of reps today.

– Keondre Coburn was your starter with the first-team defense at Nose Guard over Gerald Wilbon. Coburn stepping up would be ENORMOUS for Texas along the defensive front. All signs are pointing in the right direction.

– Chris Brown and Montrell Estell were the starting safeties while D’Shawn Jamison and Jalen Green were the starters at Corner. We expected Caden Sterns and Brandon Jones to be out. It was news to see Anthony Cook being held out as a precautionary measure.

– Last year, when asked about redshirting players, Tom Herman mentioned Jalen Green as a guy that they found work for last season because Green “isn’t a guy that’s going to be here for 4 years.” Green gave the Longhorn nation more than a few glimpses of his talent on Saturday. He was all over Malcolm Epps and any other WR that he lined up across from.

– I thought that Sam Ehlinger looked a little rusty, but I’m going to choose not to freak out over him not looking great today and I’m going to recommend that the people reading this do the same. The conditions today weren’t ideal and he missed a few throws, which is going to happen from time to time. On the interception to Jeffrey McCulloch, Ehlinger looked like he predetermined his target before the snap and McCulloch was all over it. Ehlinger avoided those type of silly mistakes in 2018 and I expect it to continue in 2019. Moving on.

– Redshirt Freshman QB Casey Thompson didn’t look quick today. He looked FAST. Thompson also stood in the pocket and delivered some very nice balls over the middle while facing pressure. That won’t go unnoticed in the film room by his teammates or coaches. I was impressed with Thompson today.

– DeMarvion Overshown made his presence felt today. #31 showed up in my notes numerous times when I looked over them before writing this. The blow that he delivered to Casey Thompson stopping him short of scoring a touchdown sticks out as his most memorable of the night for myself.

– Jordan Whittington is the real deal. He was clearly gassed as the staff got him a ton of touches today, but the impact that he’s had and is going to have coming out the backfield is going to be invaluable this season.

– Bru McCoy is going to be a fan favorite during his time in Austin. A chorus of “Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuu” broke out among the fans in attendance after McCoy received his first touch.

– Texas is going to have some questions to answer when it comes to figuring out what they’re going to do if anything were to happen to All-Conference Center Zach Shackelford. Following Jeff McCulloch’s interception and return to the 1-yard line, the second unit had snap issues on 3 out of 4 plays. Casey Thompson’s rushing touchdown came on a scramble after a poor snap.

– Brennan Eagles was noticeably quiet today. I did not notice him on the field until after halftime. I’ve always liked Jordan Pouncey and he made some plays today, I just don’t see how Texas is going to get him on the field.

– It is very difficult to tell the difference between Joseph Ossai, Byron Vaughns, and Peter Mpagi physically. As a whole, the Texas team looked like a million bucks tonight. Strength and Conditioning Head Coach Yancy McKnight continues to prove that he is worth every penny.

A lot more fluff than stuff in this ^^^ TFB writeup...

giphy.gif

I went, had a great time. I'd really like to see more in the passing game but they refused to throw the ball. Looked like they were wanting to practice the offensive line and the defense. Mostly bubbles and deep balls to backs. Not a ton of mid range passing, a few of the 5 or 10 yd outs to the boundry but all incomplete. Didn't see much over the middle. 

The TEs are fucking butterfingers, should put a WR or RB out there instead of a TE all together if none of them can play. Hell just play with an extra lineman in there and see how defenses line up against unbalanced 3WR/1RB or 2WR/2RB with extra beef up front.

Defense looked great, even without the leaders in the defensive backfield. Ossai and McCulloch looked like absolute monsters out there, and ran step for step with the backs on wheel routes AND reached and tipped deep passes away from them. 

Overshown really needs a look at whatever position will get him on the field. He layed Casey the fuck out on the goal line that was crazy

(Scipio Tex) Spring Game Thoughts: Defense

In lieu of Ambien, I watched the Spring game again and wanted to share a few thoughts on players and positions. Injured starters sitting, wind conditions, zero sum games and stripped down playbook disclaimers are all mentioned now in obligatory fashion, which won't prevent someone in the comments from reminding us all the same. 

DEFENSE 

DB

With players like Josh Thompson, Brandon Jones and Caden Sterns sitting on the sideline, the first string unit still looked like a credible FBS secondary. A big portion of the credit for that goes to safety Chris Brown, who played QB for the defense and tackled very well throughout. He's tough and he plays with good anticipation that offsets his physical deficits. 

BJ Foster looked like himself (2 PBUs) and I loved what I saw from young Jalen Green at CB (2 PBUs, two powerful tackles, always in the right spot). We already knew about Green's length and quickness. The physicality he displayed was surprising and, in my mind, he's well ahead of schedule given his HS offense background. He'll get a baptism by fire, but should be very good soon. 

Montrell Estell did a fine job getting involved as a tackler and led the scrimmage in stops. 

D'shawn Jamison threw a weak shoulder into Duvernay instead of wrapping up and allowed a 5 yard gain to go for 20. Despite his quickness, he can't get snaps without better tackling. 

Overshown flows really well to the ball and has a terrific first step. I know he wants to be a safety, but he'd help us more as a utility LB given the riches and experience we have in our safety personnel. Orlando will likely just tell him he's a safety...while playing him in the box. 

Assembling a coherent secondary with multiple missing starters checking out Pom squad girls on the sideline is a testament to this unit's depth. Guys like Watson and Adimora arriving this summer will only add to the fun. 

Speaking of depth (or its lack)...

LB

Jeffrey McCullough stood out to me. The big LB is moving better and reprised last year's KU game when he ran the route on a RB dump off and nearly sealed the pick six on the poor read by Ehlinger. He also did a very credible job covering Ingram on a wheel route, notching a PBU with active hands. While clearly more comfortable in space, that's also the place where he had a negative play, missing an open field tackle on Whittington late. That's the danger of pairing him with Adeoye, unless we start a dime look behind them to prevent teams from isolating RBs on our LBs.

Regarding #23, I was probably most pleased to see him make some routine linebacking plays on inside zone. There wasn't much to test his eye discipline or footwork in the Longhorn offense, so we'll see how that goes once we see RPOs and misdirection. 

Joseph Ossai played primarily as a de facto rush end, but also showed his own versatility carrying up a RB route to the end zone. He's an interesting player in that I can't point to any one overwhelming attribute he possesses. He's just pretty good at football. Pretty good against the run. Pretty good pass rusher. Pretty good in coverage. 

Marcus Tillman looks the part and is an athletic fit. He just doesn't know what he's doing yet. 

Luke Brockermeyer didn't look out of place athletically, but obviously we don't want to be in a position of playing a young walk on. 

DL

The first team OL struggled to get a consistent push on them. Orlando didn't do much in terms of twists or stunts to free them as pass rushers, but their ability to create a constricted pocket with an honest up field rush was encouraging. 

Coburn is getting some ink for his flashes and explosiveness, but in my mind he's a 25-40 snap player and won't be able to play extended snaps against any opponent that wants to run tempo. While I appreciate the attempt at Chris Nelson comps, likening him to a fully developed senior with a much better conditioning base isn't instructive of what he'll bring in 2019. Good thing we have the steady Gerald Wilbon to split time with him and Roach/Graham/Ojomo having the ability to play nose in certain pass rush looks. Roach and Graham both did a nice job against the run and will show better as we put in some twists that play to their mobility. I like TQ Graham but I need to see more from him as a pass rusher when his initial momentum gets thwarted. He's standing and looking for batted balls instead of trying to get push every time. 

Roach looks every bit of 290. Our starting LB against Maryland just 8 months ago. 

Moro Ojomo did better against the run than as a pass rusher, which surprised me. Obviously, given that he's fourteen years old, he still has plenty of upside. 

Jacoby Jones flashed a couple of times lined up wide with his ears pinned back. He's a naturally skilled pass rusher. It's clear to me that we've already identified him as a useful situational pass rusher and will incorporate him accordingly if he can do the same on game day. 

Daniel Carson is now solidly 300+ and I was a bit surprised by his immensity. 

Summary

My main takeaway is that Orlando should be able to field good personnel and scheme looks to stop the run situationally (good physical DL, solid tackling box safeties) and stop the pass situationally (a dime look with one LB and multiple pass rushers). That would be a welcome rebound from a pretty miserable money down performance in 2018.

The upside of the defense will rest in how Texas plays more neutral personnel offenses, both by scheme and personnel.

• Like 1

(Scipio Tex) Spring Game Thoughts: Offense

Disclaimers disclaimed. 

Let's tackle the offense now, because based on the Spring game, most people can.

OFFENSE 

QB 

Ehlinger, Thompson and Johnson were a combined 24 of 54 for 152 yards passing and two interceptions. Is that good? 

All of the disclaimers apply in spades, but man. The good news is that we have a lot of data points on Ehlinger under live fire and they don't look like anything we just saw. 

On the positive side, Thompson is legitimately elusive. 

That's all I've got. 

RB 

Can a glaring weakness become a mild to moderate strength in the course of one half of an offseason? 

A bulked up Ingram, a highly adaptable Jordan Whittington and a healthy Kirk Johnson seems to suggest that it's possible. Ingram looks good in his new body, Whittington is elusive and multifaceted and Kirk, If Healthy (this is his legal middle name), is a legitimate slashing change of pace runner who doesn't mind running inside. Daniel Young is at least solid depth. 

The fact that all of the Texas RBs can catch is an added bonus and should be featured prominently. I can't say they are all blockers though, after seeing Jordan Whittington is pass pro. As expected for a freshman who logged his HS snaps scoring touchdowns instead of blocking for them. 

WR 

I saw too many drops and some bad routes, though we didn't open the playbook past Page 1. 

On the positive side, we have enough talent, diverse skill sets and bodies. 

The starters and most helpful role players will be the athletes that can catch the ball, run reliable routes, make sight adjustments and take what Big 12 defenses concede by scheme in complement to Collin Johnson in what should otherwise be a broadly distributed offense. I don't think theoretical upside will determine our pass catchers. I think it will be largely be about dependability. 

Al'vonte Woodard and Josh Moore have the talent we want. Can they be dependable? Moore had a drop. Woodard had a route miscue. 

Malcolm Epps caught five balls running the same route and I think he'll have some situational value, largely predicated on whether our opponents play the matchup or just run their coverage. His catch radius is huge, but he's a slow starter and not yet very physical when pressed and crowded early. As a DC, I'd walk up a mature cornerback and ask him to win. He should be productive against defenses that don't challenge him, allow an easy release or concede 6-7 yard gains. Circle the LSU and Oklahoma State games to see how he adapts to physical coverage. 

Bru McCoy's physical maturity is pretty shocking for a freshman. He'll get heavy rotation early if he can learn the playbook and be reliable. 

TE 

Poor jobs all around. I wouldn't want to be in their film room. Cade Brewer had an easy drop and an offside penalty. Jared Wiley had two easy drops. Reese Leitao left the dog house to log some late snaps. 

None of them blocked particularly well either, though Wiley's upside as a potential blocker in space and in-line is pretty apparent once he gets stronger and learns the trade. 

OL

Shack and Cosmi are good to go. Shack was deprived of a lot of S&C development early in his career due to injuries, prior management and starting before he was ready and he's a much stronger player with two years of real S&C under his belt. Cosmi is one of the best half dozen players on the team. 

I liked some of the things I saw from Angilau, particularly with respect to his general athleticism, massive size and his ability to punch a pass rusher. However, he's not helping himself when he lunges or gets out of position. He'll be a better guard than Patrick Vahe in short order if he can just nail some of the fundamentals. Once Junior realizes that he's huge and athletic and that he's not going to lose in a phone booth, he'll stop beating himself. 

Okafor and Kerstetter had their moments and Okafor's footwork has improved when lined up outside at tackle, but he can't always translate his technique into athletic fluidity. Kerstetter has a high and light base but the ability to move and aggression are there. 

From a purely physical standpoint, Christian Jones was carved by ancient gods. He has all of the requisite base attributes, but you can tell he's still thinking instead of doing. His potential upside is huge, but it will take a while. Reese Moore is similarly green and needs to find some answers to a speed rusher. 

Rafiti Ghirmai needs to drill 100 snaps a day before and after every practice. His reps were bad enough to actually disrupt the timing of the offense, but the good news is that this is correctable with simple repetition. The guards flanking him did a credible job on the 2nd team and I like some of the things I saw from Imade. 

Adding Parker Braun to this mix will create some interesting battles. This OL will really get solved if Angilau can continue to come on and we can figure out the best positional fits in the Kerstetter/Okafor dynamic. 

Takeaway

I'm not sure what can be taken from that offensive performance except to say that I hope that counted as our season opener.

TE 

Poor jobs all around. I wouldn't want to be in their film room. Cade Brewer had an easy drop and an offside penalty. Jared Wiley had two easy drops. Reese Leitao left the dog house to log some late snaps. 

None of them blocked particularly well either, though Wiley's upside as a potential blocker in space and in-line is pretty apparent once he gets stronger and learns the trade. 

Not that he has a whole lot of talent to work with, but Warehime might be a bad football coach, not just a bad OL coach.