60 Years Ago Today, The Music Died

atomheartbevo

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/03/690798999/buddy-hollys-classmates-remember-the-pioneer-60-years-after-the-day-the-music-di

On Feb. 3, 1959, at only 22 years old, Buddy Holly left this world as one of the founding fathers of rock and roll. Now, 60 years after the crash that killed Holly, Mexican-American star Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper — or "the day the music died" — Holly's high school classmates from Lubbock, Texas, remember the young musician in the years before his rise to fame.

In the early 1950s, Lubbock High School student Betty Dotts was into music. She sang with Buddy Holly in the school choir and knew he had grander ambitions. However, she was skeptical when she heard him play.

"I thought 'Oh my goodness, that's not very good music,'" Dotts says.

George Nelson, another Lubbock High choir member, also enjoyed songwriting back in the day. "But I didn't have anywhere near the talent that Buddy had," Nelson remembers. "He was just innately endowed with it, and he could play."

In 1953, Nelson and Holly faced off in a song contest. Nelson's tune, "Someday You'll Pay," won. "It's the only thing that I've got in my life that I could brag about," Nelson says with a laugh.

Rock and roll got an especially cold reception in Lubbock at the time. Nelson remembers preachers regularly smashing vinyl records or using cars to crush them. Local teenagers who wanted to listen to rock and roll would circle their cars out in cotton fields, blast the radio and dance. Nelson recalls that the conservative people in Lubbock "thought the young people were going to hell."

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 3

https://www.lubbockonline.com/news/20190202/hollys-reputation-musical-accomplishments-shine-60-years-after-his-death

Drummer Allison, Holly’s best friend, wishes it ‘could have lasted a little longer’

Sixty years ago today, Lubbock native and rock ‘n’ roll innovator Charles Hardin Holley -- known to fans worldwide as Buddy Holly, leader of an American band called the Crickets -- chartered a four-seat aircraft simply because he wanted to avoid the cold and have extra time to finish his laundry.

But mostly ... to avoid the freezing cold.

(Buddy Holley left his professional name Holly when it was misspelled on his recording contract.)

As fate would have it, Holly, 22, perished in the wee hours of Feb. 3, 1959, when he and three others -- musicians Ritchie Valens and J.P “The Big Bopper” Richardson, and pilot Roger A. Peterson -- were determined by coroner Ralph E. Smileyto have died instantly when their plane crashed minutes after takeoff in a field five and one-half miles north of Clear Lake, Iowa.

Had Holly survived, he already had plans to return to Lubbock in 1960, according to older brother Larry Holley and Jacqueline Bober, curator at the Buddy Holly Center and interim director of cultural facilities for the city of Lubbock.

Bober explained that only a few activities honoring the 60th anniversary of Holly’s death are planned today for two reasons. First, major events and a landmarks tour took place Saturday. Also, she explained, “Feb. 3 happens to be Super Bowl Sunday.

“Brooke (Witcher) told me the last time that Feb. 3 fell on a Super Bowl Sunday, there was a sum total of 10 people at the Buddy Holly Center, and five of them were staff.”

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Armybrat’s probably got stories, or his grandkids did.  

Amazing how much talent was in that little plane.  

My cousin Joanne lived in Mason City at the time. When the news got around, she said carloads of teenagers drove out to the crash site farm to gawk. Claimed she saw some bodies in the field by the wreckage. Her favorite on the plane was the Big Bopper (Chantilly Lace).

I grew up about 45 minutes from Clear Lake.  Never visited the crash site (seems unnecessaryil morbid), but the Surf was a huge part of my late teens/early 20’s.  It’s a great venue, and you can just feel the history when you walk through the door.  The significance of this event still hangs on that community in a way.

I always loved to hear Cary Swinney talk about fellow Lubbockite musician, Holly.   He had heard a lot of stories from other musicians that never make it into print.  This is his tribute to BH.   From his "Martha" album.

Seventh of September
A tribute
It's the seventh of September
a visionary time

And I have come back from the future
I've come to see what once was mine

It's a solitary journey
when you're a ghost of rock-n-roll

And though my own hometown now claims me
they will never have my soul

So they gather in West Texas
you know, the place I chose to leave