DNA databases

bernorange

So the Rapid DNA Act of 2017 was signed into law.  There is now a big push on to expand DNA databases to include everyone. 

Arizona could soon be one of the first states to maintain a massive statewide DNA database.

And if the proposed legislation passes, many people — from parent school volunteers and teachers to real estate agents and foster parents — will have no choice but to give up their DNA.

Under Senate Bill 1475, which Sen. David Livingston, R-Peoria, introduced, DNA must be collected from anyone who has to be fingerprinted by the state for a job, to volunteer in certain positions or for a myriad of other reasons.

The bill would even authorize the medical examiner's office in each county to take DNA from any bodies that come into their possession.

The Department of Public Safety would maintain the collected DNA alongside the person's name, Social Security number, date of birth and last known address.

Any DNA in the database could be accessed and used by law enforcement in a criminal investigation. It could also be shared with other government agencies across the country for licensing, death registration, to identify a missing person or to determine someone's real name.

It could also be provided to someone conducting "legitimate research."
No other state has anything this expansive in place, according to David Kaye, an associate dean for research at Penn State University who studies genetics and its application in law.

Kaye said the proposed bill is one step away from requiring DNA from anyone who wants a driver's license.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/arizona/2019/02/19/arizona-bill-would-create-massive-statewide-dna-database/2873930002/

53 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

How long until insurance companies use the fact that you have a certain gene that increases cancer risk to deny coverage?

How long until employee hiring decisions are based on genetic information?

How long until school admissions are based on genetic information?

Decent lyrics. Add a hook line chorus (no more of these Milennial "whoa ohhhhhh oh" chorus please, we need words), and I see top forty potential on Pandora.

57 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I feel like there is a slight, understated poke at my grammar in there somewhere, but I'm not smart enough to put my finger on it.

No, I liked the repetition. I wasn't poking fun at grammar. Sadly you are probably right. Maybe the hook line could be about the insurance companies putting a tracking chip under our skin "for our own good."

2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

How long until insurance companies use the fact that you have a certain gene that increases cancer risk to deny coverage?

How long until employee hiring decisions are based on genetic information?

How long until school admissions are based on genetic information?

They certainly are using incentives to get you to share your personal XYZ to infinity so they can track you and build a file on you.  Humana incentive program, for instance, wants to know where you shop, what you buy, your heart rate data, when you go to the gym, how many steps per day, etc, etc.  The questions you ask certainly would be logical, slippery slope, conclusions at some point. 

Not voluntary to the extent that you are paid incentives wrt kickbacks on insurance charged by your company and gift cards for the x amount of right things you do(go to gym x times gets x amount of gift card for instance), etc, etc.  There is also the legit prevention aspects of people who exercise might not need as much healthcare dollars spent on them.

Having worked for a yuge analytics company they can store infinite amounts of data on you for a long time.  Especially when it is the relatively few clients that an insurance company voluntarily gets permission to track as opposed to tracking all datapoints related to every visit to a website for x amount of clients that the big guys track. 

Relating that data back to interesting things is being discussed ad-infinitum to the data holders/gatherers wrt to monetizing and/or reducing costs from theoretical conclusions derived from it.  Shit is real.  Not necessarily nefarious though.  One day we might find out that is not the case.  Is privacy an illusion?

Edited by zork

Just now, zork said:

They certainly are using incentives to get you to share your personal XYZ to infinity so they can track you and build a file on you.  Humana incentive program, for instance, wants to know where you shop, what you buy, your heart rate data, when you go to the gym, how many steps per day, etc, etc.  The questions you ask certainly would be logical, slippery slope, conclusions at some point. 

Not voluntary to the extent that you are paid incentives wrt kickbacks on insurance charged by your company and gift cards for the x amount of right things you do(go to gym x times gets x amount of gift card for instance), etc, etc.  There is also the legit prevention aspects of people who exercise might not need as much healthcare dollars spent on them.

Having worked for a yuge analytics company they can store infinite amounts of data on you for a long time.  Especially when it is the relatively few clients that an insurance company voluntarily gets permission to track as opposed to tracking all datapoints related to every visit to a website for x amount of clients that the big guys track. 

Relating that data back to interesting things is being discussed ad-infinitum to the data holders/gatherers wrt to monetizing and/or reducing costs from theoretical conclusions derived from it.  Shit is real.  Not necessarily nefarious though.  One day we might find out that is not the case.  Is privacy an illusion?

The government already has my DNA on record. They collected it when I enlisted. I would rather it be expunged, but I know that's not ever going to happen even though I'm not in anymore.

As for civilian agencies and my DNA, I will never submit to it being collected. I also refuse to participate in my employer's bullshit metrics system to "reward" my activity. It's a racket and I know exactly what it's for. I have no interest in participating in such a shitshow. I've been contacted a number of times about starting and everytime I tell them to pound sand and that in no uncertain terms would I ever participate. It's pretty laughable how many people willingly submit themselves to this nonsense.

• 2 months later...

The Department of Homeland Security will start a DNA testing pilot program next week to help identify and prosecute individuals posing as families in an effort to target human smuggling, two department officials confirmed to CNN.

The Rapid DNA testing, as it's known, involves a cheek swab and can, on average, provide results in about 90 minutes, a senior Immigration and Customs Enforcement official said.

The pilot program will run for two to three days in two border locations.

More:  https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/30/politics/homeland-security-dna-testing-immigration/index.html

On 2/22/2019 at 11:24 AM, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

The government already has my DNA on record. They collected it when I enlisted. I would rather it be expunged, but I know that's not ever going to happen even though I'm not in anymore.

Same.  Didn’t think about it in the 90s when they did it, as it was a part of a project to never have another unknown soldier or whatever.

Supposedly we can file paperwork to have it expunged, but I’ve heard it’s a pain in the ass.