Buttigieg 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

#1 - No thanks on being a mayor or anyone else responsible for answering for police to the public they oppress. Nope. Nope. NOPE. Might as well be the media cleanup man for a pack of angry wolves.

#2 - While Pete is dealing with something here that run-of-the-mill Senators don't have to deal with, the President doesn't have to deal with this, either. So it's interesting and worth noting, but it's not really like this is President Training. It's pretty much just bad and it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks for him.

#3 - I don't see anything here that #CANCELS Pete, and I don't see anything favorable here, either. I see a white mayor being yelled at by furious black citizens and doing kind of the bare minimum. A little Mitch Landrieu grandstanding wouldn't have gone amiss. Pete obviously feels a loyalty and responsibility to be fair to his police force and not speak ill of them, but... well... that might actually be the root of why people are bothered by this. Hard to say. I hate the police, so I'm sensitive to all the posturing (his cold professionalism in the face of black pain, his use of authority phrasing "what happened on the body cameras", those are signifiers of white authority. Not ones he created. Not ones he might even be conscious of, but it's there anyway.)

#4 - The little kid absent-mindedly waggling a sign that says "COPS AND KLAN GO HAND IN HAND" in front of Pete is fantastic. If I was a Twitter wine mom, I would say, "I am all the way here for this. MOOD!" 

#5 - The DECEPTIVE CNN SPLICE is just that lady repeating herself 5 or 6 times as Pete stands there silently, formulating a response. (Which, it turns out, wasn't good. But I get it, Pete is smart and he knows his black support is consistently ~0% so that had to sting. It's like if some furious Vermonter was screaming at Bernie that he's a dying fossil or some Masshole shouting at Liz about copy/pasting newspaper recipes into "Pow Wow Chow". Tense situation + stepping on a raw nerve... I can't fault Pete for not having a better response, but it would've been a good opportunity to show extraordinary skill.)

If anything, that DECEPTIVE CNN SPLICE makes Pete look better because it cuts out him just getting screamed at about an obvious problem with his candidacy while he impotently says "ma'am" a few times.

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

#1 - No thanks on being a mayor or anyone else responsible for answering for police to the public they oppress. Nope. Nope. NOPE. Might as well be the media cleanup man for a pack of angry wolves.

#2 - While Pete is dealing with something here that run-of-the-mill Senators don't have to deal with, the President doesn't have to deal with this, either. So it's interesting and worth noting, but it's not really like this is President Training. It's pretty much just bad and it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks for him.

#3 - I don't see anything here that #CANCELS Pete, and I don't see anything favorable here, either. I see a white mayor being yelled at by furious black citizens and doing kind of the bare minimum. A little Mitch Landrieu grandstanding wouldn't have gone amiss. Pete obviously feels a loyalty and responsibility to be fair to his police force and not speak ill of them, but... well... that might actually be the root of why people are bothered by this. Hard to say. I hate the police, so I'm sensitive to all the posturing (his cold professionalism in the face of black pain, his use of authority phrasing "what happened on the body cameras", those are signifiers of white authority. Not ones he created. Not ones he might even be conscious of, but it's there anyway.)

#4 - The little kid absent-mindedly waggling a sign that says "COPS AND KLAN GO HAND IN HAND" in front of Pete is fantastic. If I was a Twitter wine mom, I would say, "I am all the way here for this. MOOD!" 

#5 - The DECEPTIVE CNN SPLICE is just that lady repeating herself 5 or 6 times as Pete stands there silently, formulating a response. (Which, it turns out, wasn't good. But I get it, Pete is smart and he knows his black support is consistently ~0% so that had to sting. It's like if some furious Vermonter was screaming at Bernie that he's a dying fossil or some Masshole shouting at Liz about copy/pasting newspaper recipes into "Pow Wow Chow". Tense situation + stepping on a raw nerve... I can't fault Pete for not having a better response, but it would've been a good opportunity to show extraordinary skill.)

If anything, that DECEPTIVE CNN SPLICE makes Pete look better because it cuts out him just getting screamed at about an obvious problem with his candidacy while he impotently says "ma'am" a few times.

BT, I'm not claiming some sort of conspiracy theory as it pertains to the short CNN clip. I do think it's a bit irresponsible to not provide context .

1. He was reading from a list of demands from the demonstrators. A lot of people are assuming those were his own words on the page. 

2. When he said "I"m not asking for your vote.", he finished that thought with "I will promise that there will be a review to make sure there is no racism on this department."

And of course people are taking the "I'm not asking for your vote." comment as Buttigieg not caring about the black vote, when he clearly meant that he was at the march/demonstration as their mayor, and not a presidential candidate. 

It is what it is. If he's as good of a candidate as I think he is, he'll be able to get through this situation. 

7 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

And of course people are taking the "I'm not asking for your vote." comment as Buttigieg not caring about the black vote, when he clearly meant that he was at the march/demonstration as their mayor, and not a presidential candidate. 

They are???? That's insanely stupid.

Y'all remember when The Office UK first came out, and you had to stop it every few minutes because it was just SO awkwardly painful to watch and we weren't used to that style of comedy yet because it was so new?

Yeah, I'm trying to watch this South Bend town hall and I have to pause it constantly.

Oh god, someone please throw in the towel for this poor guy.

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Unless Biden shows up to the first debate in blackface. 

I think Biden could get away with doing that on national TV. "He comes from a different time, he isn't really like that."

• Like 2

Armchair QB here but maybe a wide open town hall was a bad idea.  Bringing in a few people into an initial closed door session might make some real progress then take it to the wider group.   A town hall sounds like it’s a way for people to bring up every grievance and hurl insults that could make Buttgieg look weak, ineffective, etc.

36 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

He was willing to walk in to the fire. And then he got roasted. Brutal. 

Yep. I respect the hell out of him for knowing the right thing was to stand in place and be the pin cushion for the community's pain. I can have all the quibbles I want about policy, but I wouldn't have handled this as well as him. Obviously others could have done better than both Pete and me, but I can't really fault any of it.

I do not support a narrative that centers the growth and courage of a powerful white man when the real issue is the unaccountable murder of black Americans by white police officers, so I'll leave the Pete apologia/praise there. I just look at him and ... wow. That fucking sucks.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Yep. I respect the hell out of him for knowing the right thing was to stand in place and be the pin cushion for the community's pain. I can have all the quibbles I want about policy, but I wouldn't have handled this as well as him. Obviously others could have done better than both Pete and me, but I can't really fault any of it.

I do not support a narrative that centers the growth and courage of a powerful white man when the real issue is the unaccountable murder of black Americans by white police officers, so I'll leave the Pete apologia/praise there. I just look at him and ... wow. That fucking sucks.

Most people are sheep and want a strong looking politician throwing out all the talking points and getting touchy feely with the crowd - in a staged environment...ie at least try to control the narrative, prescreen who will ask questions etc.

Props to Mayor Pete for taking this on properly/head on.  Him looking that uncomfortable is the most appropriate look he can have imo.  A shame he will get roasted for this.  

• Like 2

i couldn't find a video to post, but they showed it on cnn.  watching him say the ^^^ live was way more emotional than reading it (especially in the normal pete voice).  he's definitely feeling this.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/videos/politics/2019/06/23/pete-buttigieg-south-bend-town-hall-police-shooting-carroll-nr-vpx.cnn?__twitter_impression=true

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Really tough scene. 

Pete Buttigieg: "I hope we can work together bipartisanly with the best hopes for America's future and people."

McConnell: "I am literally going to take a shit on your desk and make you clean it up while I watch."

Buttigieg: *pulling on latex gloves* "Well, sir, I do not like what you say but I will defend to the death..."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Buttigieg wants Medicare-type option available to anyone. Is that what Joe is saying? 

In the link you provided 7 people favor Medicare for All but: 

Even some candidates who back the single-payer approach of Medicare for All told The Times they would also be willing to support a choice between some kind of public option and private insurance, an acknowledgment that many Americans like their private coverage and want the choice to keep it.

Outside of Bernie, is anyone really all-in on M4A? 

7 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Buttigieg wants Medicare-type option available to anyone. Is that what Joe is saying? 

In the link you provided 7 people favor Medicare for All but: 

Even some candidates who back the single-payer approach of Medicare for All told The Times they would also be willing to support a choice between some kind of public option and private insurance, an acknowledgment that many Americans like their private coverage and want the choice to keep it.

Outside of Bernie, is anyone really all-in on M4A? 

Do I think anyone else really, genuinely supports it outside of Bernie? No. That’s why I support Bernie and am cynical about candidates like Liz, Mayor Pete, etc.  I like Tulsi, but she has some pretty huge flaws. She’s unpredictable though in a manner that I personally admire. She’s a maverick. 

Edited by Fozzz

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Nope, which is all we really need to know.

John Delaney just went on MSNBC and criticized Elizabeth Warren for being for Medicare 4 All.

Elizebeth Warren has repeatedly said she is for MFA. 

Warren’s path on how to get to MFA is murky, which is a legit criticism, but that doesn’t mean she is against it. 

Find it for me. I don't see it.

She's vague, fuzzy, and non-committal. Which means she isn't "all-in" for single-payer healthcare. She is less clear on this issue, which is the #1 issue, than most of the other candidates.

Look at this answer to a straightforward question about single-payer. Over half of it is talking about the ACA, the rest is "on the table" and "let's decide at some future fuzzy point through some future fuzzy process".

It's the #1 issue, and she's absolutely nowhere on it.

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I said it was a legitimate criticism.  From your own video, she clearly wants a single payer system and is willing to overturn the healthcare system if the support is there.

That right there is the key phrase, my man.

A leader sees the path and leads. Making the right way contingent on other people giving you permission is not what leaders do. Popular support is already there for single-payer healthcare.

10 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

That right there is the key phrase, my man.

A leader sees the path and leads. Making the right way contingent on other people giving you permission is not what leaders do. Popular support is already there for single-payer healthcare.

She’s kinda letting Bernie lead in the healthcare lane.  You should be thankful for that because if Liz goes hard on it, I’m sure you’ll jump on board.

/sarcasm 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

15 hours ago, DCA_HORN said:

Its amazing how candidates get disqualified. Once a narrative gains traction it's all over no matter the merit.

My favorite example:

dean-scream.jpg

I didn't know if I wanted to vote for Dean, but having this moment disqualify is another point in time where my doubts about the electorate and the dull-minded media grew. At worst, this just should have become an amusing footnote. Maybe a goofy footnote.

Idiot World.