Buttigieg 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

BT is right about institutions of power being racist themselves even if one guy is good and another is bad. That hyper focus on the individual is a red herring. The system is disproportionately causing the death of young black men, is incarcerating black men at disproportionate rates, punishing black men more severely at disproportionate rates and is falsely convicting them at disproportionately higher rates.

And that’s just criminal justice. You can move to banking and finance, education, employment, positions of power, and on and on and the analysis is the same.

You aren’t a racist and he is a racist isn’t where the conversation needs to go, it needs to go to the institutions themselves and the underlying constructs that these institutions are built on and the racist outcomes they produce. College entrance exams are a perfect example. Heavily tilted toward white culture and education thus imposing a undue burden on African Americans. The test administrator is a lovely woman, not a racist. That though means nothing.

BT may have his moments but he’s right on this one.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Nevermind that he developed The Douglass Plan with help from African American policy advisers and reached out to to other black leaders, one of which is an actual direct descendant of Frederick Douglass. 

You completely ignored the substance and went 100% for the one thing that would allow you to let yourself say, "Pete has a black friend!".

lol

PETE!

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

You completely ignored the substance and went 100% for the one thing that would allow you to let yourself say, "Pete has a black friend!".

lol

PETE!

- guy who posts every single tweet that shows Bernie with a black person

On 7/12/2019 at 11:56 AM, Turkleton said:

Minorities to understand gayness. He has no hope.

This is going to be A Thing.

- Conservatives concern-trolling at Peteheads about how socially regressive minorities are (because conservatives are racists and love an opportunity to shit on them).
- White liberals (who are basically just as racist as conservatives) trying to obliquely imply the same thing as a reason for Pete's failure to connect.

Black culture writ large is no more hostile towards queer identities than white culture.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Pete has many months to connect with and win over black voters. If he doesn't, I'm not going to blame it on homophobia. And neither will he. 

I believe you with regard to yourself and with regard to him.

But I've been involved with Democratic politics for WAY too long to not see this inevitability coming.

Just now, bad_teammate said:

I believe you with regard to yourself and with regard to him.

But I've been involved with Democratic politics for WAY too long to not see this inevitability coming.

You're most likely correct.  I'd hope/expect Pete to speak up and burn that rhetoric down if it eventually gets out of hand. 

17 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

This is going to be A Thing.

- Conservatives concern-trolling at Peteheads about how socially regressive minorities are (because conservatives are racists and love an opportunity to shit on them).
- White liberals (who are basically just as racist as conservatives) trying to obliquely imply the same thing as a reason for Pete's failure to connect.

Black culture writ large is no more hostile towards queer identities than white culture.

Facts are facts. Minorities  don't get it. He's done....

On 7/14/2019 at 8:42 AM, Turkleton said:

Facts are facts. Minorities  don't get it. He's done....

Wait is this serious? Are there no gay minorities now? Must have missed that memo. Some white folks actually claiming superiority on accepting others whom are different than themselves?

My younger brother is gay. I knew it when he was younger honestly prob before anyone. I never loved him more than the day he was crying before me after telling our close family he was gay like I didn’t know. Then the rest of the extended family of course found out thru the grapevine. There may have been one or two problems that got handled semi quietly but my little brother is loved in our family just the same.

So just in case you are serious re fucking evaluate. Your facts are not facts. It’s your ignorant opinion. Mayor Pete will lose bc he isn’t close to the best candidate. He is another paid for politician gay or not.

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Pete didn't make the adult table. Stuck at the teens table. Orb Mom taking care of the babies at the kids table.

Bernie and Warren are just so much better than Biden and Harris. I love it.

Dear baby Jesus: Bernie, Biden, and Buttigieg on night one.

Warren and Harris on night two. 

- Sonal Shah, now executive director of the Beeck Center for Social Impact and Innovation at Georgetown University, will be the campaign’s national policy director.

- Shah worked at Goldman Sachs from 2004 to 2007 as a vice president, according to her LinkedIn page. She then worked for Google as its head of global development initiatives from 2007 to 2009.

-------------

"Center for Social Impact and Innovation"? What the fuck does that mean?

I Googled it and here's the description:

We are a training ground for students and an incubator for scalable, leading-edge ideas in service of the common good.

This shit makes me want to die. Oh my god.

Their events page is INSPIRATIONAL... there's been one event in its 5 year history, which was a book talk.

Their ideas page makes me want to find a way to put Global Warming on steroids and kill this planet. It reads like a fucking Onion spoof of useless douchebag techbros.

The following are real, actual titles:

- The Blockchain Ethical Design Framework for Social Impact
- Digital Service Collaborative – Building Capacity for Digital Transformation in Government
- Democracy Fund – Crowdsourcing Expert Capacity in Congress

Thanks, I hate it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/19/2019 at 1:39 AM, Bama Chick said:

Selling tickets to a grassroots event and charging big bucks for a photo?

1f91a09180b9372b544cfcc426185c6c.jpg

The event above was sold out with 1,100 people in attendance. 

Pete has a different fundraising strategy than most. Instead of pelting people with tons of fundraising emails, he focuses on donations from speaking events. 

Look at the chart below.

Hate to say it because he's my fave candidate, but I think he's done. He's peaked. He's too intelligentsia in this era of politics. It's like being a refined technician in the Attitude era of WWF. You have the best pound for pound wrestler getting no love because he doesn't grab his crotch. Ugh.

Nah the email deflection doesn’t hold water with me.

People can easily ignore and delete an email or block the sender.

If I want to go check out a candidate in person as an undecided voter and I have to pay to do so, you’ve made me a donor before I’ve even heard you speak.

Getting an email doesn’t force me to give a candidate money; charging me to hear you speak does. No matter how low the attendance cap is.

I don’t usually do the “My guy is better than yours” but Beto went to Nashville the week prior to Pete and did a rally with around 3,000 people. I went. No charge for anything and he stayed afterwards for three hours taking pictures with anyone who wanted - no charge.

Pete came the next week and charged for tickets and selfies. The crowd was much smaller and there were a lot of pissed off voters. People wanted to go hear him but weren’t necessarily ready to commit to donate to him but felt like they were being required to just to check him out.

I like Pete. He’s in my top five. But charging for rallies and especially charging $1,000 for a picture is a terrible look. And attempting to justify it by saying “Well we don’t spam your inbox” is kind of bush league.

Oh and labeling it “Grassroots”? Pffft.

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I don’t usually do the “My guy is better than yours” but Beto went to Nashville the week prior to Pete and did a rally with around 3,000 people. I went. No charge for anything and he stayed afterwards for three hours taking pictures with anyone who wanted - no charge.

Pete came the next week and charged for tickets and selfies. The crowd was much smaller and there were a lot of pissed off voters. People wanted to go hear him but weren’t necessarily ready to commit to donate to him but felt like they were being required to just to check him out.

I like Pete. He’s in my top five. But charging for rallies and especially charging $1,000 for a picture is a terrible look. And attempting to justify it by saying “Well we don’t spam your inbox” is kind of bush league.

Pete's Nashville event was at a smaller venue and sold out. 

I've seen Beto's people run with his "man of the people" act compared to Buttigieg on Twitter. That's fine. Pete's been drinking Beto's milkshake for months. I actually think Beto has a great opportunity at the debates to grab back some of that momentum with a good performance. Feels like a slight uptick with his mojo right now. 

FYI, Buttigieg has raised more money in small donations compared to the entire Beto fundraising number so far. Considering Pete's email list heading into this race was around 20k (compared to over 700k for Beto), that's pretty remarkable. 

Also Beto's charging a minimum of $250 for an upcoming fundraiser in California. 

Great. It’s billed as a fundraiser and I don’t have a problem with any candidate doing any of those.

You’re deflecting again with the bit about who’s raised more money.

I said I thought it was icky of Pete to bill an event as a “Grassroots Rally” and charge admittance. Especially $1,000 for a fucking picture.

I have no problem saying Beto had a bad strategy of ignoring the MSM and he’s got to do more than retail politics to gain traction in a field this big. His tendency to want to be all things to all people often backfires and results in his needing to clarify later which reads as constantly apologizing and looks weak.

But I still believe in his vision and think he would make a great president.

You’re allowed to support your candidate without acting like a teenage girl boyband stan.

You white knight for Pete as hard as BT does for Bernie.

Let's thunder dome this bitch then.

Bad_Teammate: Team Bernie
Me: Team Harris
Bama Chick: Team Beto
6th Street: Team Biden
Hugo: Team Liz
Hank: Team Pete
Fozz: Team Tulsi
SKJ: Team Yang

Let's fucking rumble. 

Image result for anchorman fight gif

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Great. It’s billed as a fundraiser and I don’t have a problem with any candidate doing any of those.

You’re deflecting again with the bit about who’s raised more money.

I said I thought it was icky of Pete to bill an event as a “Grassroots Rally” and charge admittance. Especially $1,000 for a fucking picture.

I have no problem saying Beto had a bad strategy of ignoring the MSM and he’s got to do more than retail politics to gain traction in a field this big. His tendency to want to be all things to all people often backfires and results in his needing to clarify later which reads as constantly apologizing and looks weak.

But I still believe in his vision and think he would make a great president.

You’re allowed to support your candidate without acting like a teenage girl boyband stan.

You white knight for Pete as hard as BT does for Bernie.

Grassroots "event". And he wasn't trying to trick people. The pricing is there for all to see. Obviously people were happy to donate and attend. 

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Anyone who goes to this comparison is disqualified from determining the intelligence of a candidate.

Tagging Brickhorn, a guy after my own heart who routinely weaves wrasslin’ analogies and metaphors with wit and grace.

On 7/18/2019 at 11:39 PM, Bama Chick said:

Selling tickets to a grassroots event and charging big bucks for a photo?

3 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Pete came the next week and charged for tickets and selfies. 

3 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

But charging for rallies and especially charging $1,000 for a picture is a terrible look.

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Especially $1,000 for a fucking picture.

so wait, what are you trying to say?

I am not sure I agree with Pete on much, but I will say I can at least respect his conviction and what seems to generally be a rather rational approach to things he believes are issues.  I would be really interested in a Pete/Tulsi ticket.  Need to see if he can hold off the loony left an operate somewhere in the middle.  Of course, doing that means he has zero shot at the nomination, but in the unlikely event he is the nominee and he picked Gabbard I would be inclined to give him a shot.  

On 7/24/2019 at 3:09 PM, pepper brooks said:

I am not sure I agree with Pete on much, but I will say I can at least respect his conviction and what seems to generally be a rather rational approach to things he believes are issues.  I would be really interested in a Pete/Tulsi ticket.  Need to see if he can hold off the loony left an operate somewhere in the middle.  Of course, doing that means he has zero shot at the nomination, but in the unlikely event he is the nominee and he picked Gabbard I would be inclined to give him a shot.  

love too come up with absurdly implausible scenarios which would make me to consider not voting for Trump

• Like 2

Just now, 406W30th said:

love too come up with absurdly implausible scenarios which would make me to consider not voting for Trump

shouldn't be too hard since I didn't vote for Trump last time.  Here is one for you, on trump's watch we are now back to trillion dollar deficits, he has not come through on his promise of upholding the laws of the land on enforcing the current immigration laws, doesn't seem to have any plan for making any sort of deal on any new immigration law that could get through congress, his tax deal did nothing for me, and he has done nothing on entitlements that represent 60% of spending.  If he's not going to address any of those things which are things that I care about, what is the point?  I will give someone who appears to be of high character and a pragmatic guy who seems as though he would govern from the center a chance.  The results likely won't be all that different, he won't address any of the above things in any meaningful way either, but the whole political atmosphere will likely de-escalate a bit.

• Like 2

Today I am proud to announce a new plan that will empower all workers, lift wages, and give workers and employers the tools they need to thrive in our changing economy. 

Too many Americans are struggling to keep up with expenses. They are rightfully asking why they’re working so hard but barely getting by. 

Economic progress has to mean that people are actually earning enough to live on -- whether they can afford to pay for things like college tuition or health care premiums.

My plan is called “A New Rising Tide: Empowering Workers in a Changing Economy,” and it ensures that workers have the predictable hours, wages, and support they deserve. Read the full plan here.

Our economy is changing. How we manage the changes coming our way will define not just the next four years, but the next century. We need laws and policies that offer workers greater protections, flexibility, and control. 

With this plan, we will raise the minimum wage to $15 by 2025 so over 33 million more American workers can earn a living wage. 

We will guarantee access to paid sick leave and paid family leave no matter where you work. And if your employer does not provide at least seven paid sick leave days, they’ll be required to pay into a state fund that workers could draw from. 

We will measure success by workers’ paychecks. It’s time to stop measuring our economic progress by abstract numbers like GDP. When it comes to our actual incomes, GDP keeps getting it wrong. And when you target the wrong number, you get the wrong policies. 

We’ll provide greater resources to go after wage theft, and restore commonsense overtime regulations to guarantee “time and a half” pay to 8 million more workers. 

When I’m President, we’re going to take power back from corporations and give it to the American people.

As President, I will work to guarantee bargaining rights for all American workers -- whether you drive an Uber, work at a McDonald’s franchise, or mop the floors at Google. 

We will push for amending the laws to allow independent contractors to collectively bargain and unionize. It means establishing strong “joint employer” standards so that companies can’t avoid bargaining by hiring contractors through intermediaries. And if employers try to misclassify workers, my administration will aggressively crack down on that kind of payroll fraud. 

We aim to double the percentage of workers in unions. That’s twice as many Americans who will have the freedom to stand up for better wages and a better workplace. 

We’ll expand labor protections to those who have historically been vulnerable and excluded, like domestic workers and farm workers. We’ll protect undocumented workers from retaliation if they report labor violations.

Because we need an economy where everyone has a role and everyone can succeed.

And when I’m President, we’re finally going to ensure that women have equal pay and equal opportunities for promotions. We’ll make large employers make their total gender pay gap public because greater transparency will help to finally end the injustice that has women paid around only 80 cents on the dollar. That’s just not right.

We’re on the verge of a new American era, and this election is a defining moment for our nation. How we manage the changes coming our way will define not just the next four years, but the next century.

Pete

I like a lot of what he says here but I also laugh at the notion that $15/hour is a living wage.

The left started fighting for $15/hour 10+ years ago; adjusted for inflation, it's equivalent to $17.85 in 2019. What's it gonna be six years from now, which is Pete's plan ("by 2025")?

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 3:25 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Weird how all the super right people like Gabbard.

What isn't to like?  She's a woman of high character who served her country, and appears rational in a time where few politicians in the dem party seem capable of any rational thought.  I don't have to agree with her on everything, but I can at least agree to disagree on things and recognize she might be the best person for the job.  No matter what you commies wish to believe, I am not a party line voter.  

4 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

I like a lot of what he says here but I also laugh at the notion that $15/hour is a living wage.

The left started fighting for $15/hour 10+ years ago; adjusted for inflation, it's equivalent to $17.85 in 2019. What's it gonna be six years from now, which is Pete's plan ("by 2025")?

well it's working so well in places like seattle and Bernie's campaign, let's apply it to the whole country just as we are back at full employment. Should work out great I am sure.  good lord.