Buttigieg 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

On 7/26/2019 at 10:09 AM, pepper brooks said:

shouldn't be too hard since I didn't vote for Trump last time.  Here is one for you, on trump's watch we are now back to trillion dollar deficits, he has not come through on his promise of upholding the laws of the land on enforcing the current immigration laws, doesn't seem to have any plan for making any sort of deal on any new immigration law that could get through congress, his tax deal did nothing for me, and he has done nothing on entitlements that represent 60% of spending.  If he's not going to address any of those things which are things that I care about, what is the point?  I will give someone who appears to be of high character and a pragmatic guy who seems as though he would govern from the center a chance.  The results likely won't be all that different, he won't address any of the above things in any meaningful way either, but the whole political atmosphere will likely de-escalate a bit.

kinda curious - if it's someone of high character and pragmatism who is going to govern from the left versus someone with no character or pragmatism governing from the far right, are you going to pull the lever, and if so for who?

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Buzzfeed pitches idea of Pete/Lil Nas collaboration. Lil Nas doesn’t want to be involved as he doesn’t want to make it look like an endorsement. Pete also backs out.

Major story. 

can we also talk about this 'new' trend/habit of starting tweets with "massive scoop by me...and (insert other reporters)".  maybe it's not new, but i'm noticing it a lot more lately.  the "major scoop" part is silly, but the self-attribution is the issue for me.  i get that some people tweet articles from other journalists, but if you're the first to post a story, or you wrote the story, we get it.  and if you're not a complete douchebag, others will comment or retweet, and you'll get your twitter points.

i guess the constant 3rd person self-congratulations by fearless leader are starting to wear on me.

Edited by henrygandorf
mind your business.

Cuomo tried to bait him a couple times, but I thought Pete handled himself pretty well. It will be interesting to see how tonight goes because Beto is supposedly going after him in desperation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

On 7/26/2019 at 10:13 AM, pepper brooks said:

What isn't to like?  She's a woman of high character who served her country, and appears rational in a time where few politicians in the dem party seem capable of any rational thought.  I don't have to agree with her on everything, but I can at least agree to disagree on things and recognize she might be the best person for the job.  No matter what you commies wish to believe, I am not a party line voter.  

That's rich. 

Your post reflects a radio adherent to all the bile spewed by the right for 30 years. The people who don't agree with aren't really your equals. They're crazy, irrational reds who want to destroy America.

If you're not certain that you will vote to throw Trump out of office, you're a Trumpist. There is no middle ground in this, so stop pretending that you're standing on it.

Something to keep an eye on...

The South Bend Housing Authority offices were closed without warning Wednesday, as FBI agents appeared for unspecified reasons.

Several agents were seen going in and out of an employee entrance at the rear of the building on Alonzo Watson Drive, just south of Western Avenue. Two trucks with trailers were parked nearby. A uniformed St. Joseph County police officer was also at the scene.

At the main entrance of the housing authority’s offices, a sign was posted that read: “Closed for day. Re-open 8-1-19 8:00 AM.”

FBI Supervisory Special Agent Jim Keszei said he could not comment and referred questions to a spokesman for the office of the U.S. attorney for northern Indiana.

The spokesman, Ryan Holmes, said Department of Justice regulations prohibited him from confirming or denying the existence of an investigation, but that he could “confirm there is federal law enforcement activity going on in the South Bend area.”

County Sheriff Bill Redman said the FBI had asked his department to provide a uniformed officer, but said he could not discuss the operation further and was not sure whether anyone had been arrested.

Another property on the city's south side was also visited by FBI agents Wednesday morning. Neighbors, including Shelly Jackson who lives across the street, said agents showed up at 1980 E. Thornhill Dr. home around 9 a.m. According to property records, that home is also owned by the South Bend Housing Authority. 

I 'm a big fan of Pete, I think he might be one of the sharpest candidates we've had in awhile. He might be a little green for this go-round, but I think a VP/Cabinet position would set him up really well for the future.

Really though, we need more candidates like Pete on both sides (somehow it's possible to use "both sides" in a good way finally.) Candidates that are smarter, YOUNGER, and have a vested interest in the future of the country rather than just the next election cycle. It's probably an empty prospect of that happening, but one can hope.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ozzman said:

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Damn, this is pretty much how law enforcement was militarized under the Bush administration. I guess Abilene P.D could use some more armored personnel carriers and some sweet urban combat gear.

"Buttigieg's plan released Tuesday would dedicate $1 billion to law enforcement, including increasing the FBI's field staff, for "sufficient resources to counter the growing tide of white nationalist violence." Those funds would also be reinvested in the Department of Homeland Security efforts to fight extremism, violence and hate."

Yea, I've got to say that scanning that tome wasn't very inspiring.

Has Homeland Security demonstrated that they can do much of anything effectively? They seem to encourage extremism, violence and hate under this administration. Using ICE-like agents to calm the country sounds disastrous.

FBI funding makes sense if they're going to pay attention to public remarks on the internet and develop other sources regarding potential killers.

Militarizing local police seems like a terrible idea. They're already working without control justifying abuse and atrocity in the name of keeping themselves safe. I don't know that I need a more armored cop holding a machine gun screaming at me to "get on the ground" because he caught me peeing on the side of the road.

I guess, faced with so difficult a problem, doing anything feels better than thinking hard about doing something beneficial.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 1

This is awesome. 

Pete created an ID card program for the 4,500 undocumented immigrants in South Bend. He cleverly did it through a private organization so right-wing fucksticks couldn't intervene. 

Buttigieg's part to make it all work was to sign an executive order requiring local services and institutions — like law enforcement, schools, the water utility and libraries — to accept the card as a valid form of identification. The city also enlisted local businesses, such as financial institutions and drugstores, so cardholders could open bank accounts and pick up prescriptions.

As a result, undocumented immigrants in South Bend have been able to partake in many routine aspects of daily life without fear that their names or immigration status might end up in the hands of authorities or anti-immigrant groups.

That's because La Casa, as a private organization, isn't bound by requests for public records the way the city might be if it were running the program. La Casa says they don't even keep a list of people it has printed cards for — something that wouldn’t be possible at an official municipal level.

Immigration advocates have lauded the unique approach, explaining to NBC News in June that the public-private structure would protect already vulnerable undocumented community.

“It keeps the interests of the city, and these individuals, safe and ensures that undocumented immigrants are fully integrated into the fabric of South Bend, while keeping that data at an arm's length away from rogue actors,” Ali Noorani, executive director of the National Immigration Forum, a non-partisan immigrant advocacy group, told NBC News. “The way they have set this up has mitigated the risk of a rogue agency or organization from taking action.”

• Like 1

How Pete Buttigieg found God

The path from analytic philosophy to the Episcopal Church is not especially well traveled. But then, Peter Paul Buttigieg's search for God contains a few crooked lines.

Not that he necessarily wants to discuss it.

"I was reluctant to talk about (religion) for a long time," he told CNN in a recent interview. "There's Scripture on this, you know. Jesus said, 'When you pray, be not as the hypocrites are, standing in the synagogues and street corners.'"
But as a presidential candidate Buttigieg says he's engaged in a fight against a battle-tested religious right that has perfected the use of religion as political weaponry. For too long, he said, Democratic politicians have ceded the territory, simply "checking the faith box" as if it were a line on their resumes.
"Because my party's been so allergic to religious language, we've forgotten that people need to be made aware of their choice," Buttigieg told CNN.[/quote]

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/08/16/politics/pete-buttigieg-religious-journey/index.html

Edited by F250

The article on Pete's faith is a really interesting read. IMO, Pete's faith is sincere, more so than the average politician. What I like the most about Pete is the way he has lifted up the banner of Mainstream Protestant Christianity and is reclaiming public faith from the Religious Right. Pete's public persona is a great juxtaposition of the kindness of "liberal Christianity" compared to the harshness of Evangelicalism.

• Like 2

dynamite drop in ^.

i just rsvp'd for pete's event tuesday night in hollywood.  it's at the avalon theater on vine.  the last time i was there i think i saw 'the dan band' and i barely remember it.  will be an interesting change.

2 grand per ticket so i only get to photobomb some billionaire's selfie.

This is a bold position for him to take in Northern Indiana.  Unions serve a purpose, but goddamn, their numbers aren't dying because of evil CEO's, they're dying because the industries they represent are losing bodies.  We just don't need as many fucking joint-fitters in Scranton or Buffalo as used to.  Get the fuck over it.  The man sees the future of workforce evolution.  And I have full faith his party will vilify him for it.  

In some cases, yes.  But I'm pretty sure we don't need as many unionized guys building parking garages in Duluth.  If we can admit coal is dying, we can admit certain cities are dying.  If your job relies on x number of feet of electrical wiring to be installed per year and your city is putting in less than that, fuck you-your dead and don't know it yet.  The Bill of Goods Trump sold most of these people applies to union workers, too.  I'm sorry the Italians will be out of a grift soon...