Buttigieg 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

Giving the total number of donors then giving the average per donation makes it seem more grassroots/small-dollar than it is. It's the O'Rourke Q1 reporting trick play.

Q2
$24,800,000 raised / 294,000 contributors = $84.35 per contributor

If Pete wins the nomination, he is going to raise $2B easily from the donor class. The dude is like candy for them.

2 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Is that good?  That seems good.

when you start emailing and tweeting the totals in the early hours of 7/1 then yeah, you're pleased with the results.

this gives him viability, and pretty much cements him as a top 5 option (which he has been since april anyway).  it also is great press coming after the shooting, and hopefully creates a new narrative moving forward.  now he can address his shortcomings (poc) without looking like he's scrambling.

reports also reminding the public that pete's burn rate was crazy low.  now he needs to start spending.  he wasn't staffed up nearly as much as other candidates (warren's burn rate was the highest i think).  i would assume you'll see a big presence popping up in some key primary states, especially ones with larger black population.

reports also reminding the public that pete's burn rate was crazy low.  now he needs to start spending.  he wasn't staffed up nearly as much as other candidates (warren's burn rate was the highest i think).  i would assume you'll see a big presence popping up in some key primary states, especially ones with larger black population.
$22.6M in the war chest. Super low burn rate. Now that the first debate is over, I fully expect that to change.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

For those who follow the entire democratic group, where do Buttigieg and Warren fall on the liberal scale?  As in, if one were a truly center moderate voter, how far left would they fall?  

from left to right, i would think the class photo looks like:

bernie-liz-pete-kamala-biden

that's from an ideological perspective though.  pete is very mild-mannered, measured, and controlled, which leads many to believe he's more moderate/centrist than he really is.  funny how that works.

Warren is significantly to Buttigieg's left.

(Warren issues page) (Pete issues page)

- Warren supports single-payer universal healthcare for everyone. Pete wants a public option in addition to the existing Obamacare exchanges.

- Warren supports tuition-free public higher ed. Pete wants "debt-free" public higher ed.

- Warren rejects big-money donor dinners, lobbyists, and bundlers. Pete is riding those horses very hard.

- Warren has a bold plan to dramatically reduce student loan debt, buying out up to $50k for <$100k earners. Pete wants to "confront" student debt, which... I don't know.

- Warren wants to guarantee abortions to all women via Medicare for All. Pete supports expanded access, but without an actual universal plan then not all women will have it.

- Warren wants a significant tax on the wealthiest Americans. Pete has not said anything about this.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

from left to right, i would think the class photo looks like:

bernie-liz-pete-kamala-biden

that's from an ideological perspective though.  pete is very mild-mannered, measured, and controlled, which leads many to believe he's more moderate/centrist than he really is.  funny how that works.

It's probably more like Bernie -----(the grand canyon)------------ Liz -------  Pete - Kamala -- Biden

• Like 1

BT, thanks for that. I’ve read thru the links before, but being politicians largely guided by focus groups (well I guess not Bernie), I don’t really believe shit any of them say.  That’s why I was asking for opinions from folks who follow the whole group. Just me alone, hearing them talk, i feel like I can kind of determine it. But someone who studies all of this would have a better feel for where they really fall.   I’m just curious from those on here that I follow (relatively) where they see the candidates fall. 

For example, to me, Bernie, Pete, and Warren are the only ones that seem genuinely interested in what they are selling. The rest just seem like this was their next step, and who doesn’t want to be president? 

Unfortunately my politics don’t align much with those 3, which is really why I was looking for better info.  

38 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

- Warren supports tuition-free public higher ed. Pete wants "debt-free" public higher ed.

There's a little more to Pete's "debt-free" public higher ed.: 

For lower-income families, we must make public college truly debt-free. We can do this through a state-federal partnership that makes public tuition affordable for all and completely free at lower incomes — combined with a large increase in Pell Grants that provides for basic living expenses and keeps up with inflation. Middle-income families at public colleges will pay zero tuition. Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and Minority-Serving Institutions (MSIs) are vital for this country and our communities and deserve to receive more dedicated support.

On 6/29/2019 at 6:31 AM, bad_teammate said:

Ah, a worthy imprimatur!

Comes out of retirement to defend private health insurance companies.

We are going to hear over and over again from frauds like Mayor Pete that a public option is like M4A but with choices.  Who doesn't love choices!  Never mind the fact that Mayor Pete's plan would leave tens of millions without health insurance.  

9 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

We are going to hear over and over again from frauds like Mayor Pete that a public option is like M4A but with choices.  Who doesn't love choices!  Never mind the fact that Mayor Pete's plan would leave tens of millions without health insurance.  

Can you cite facts to back up your claim?

Can you cite facts to back up your claim?
Pete's plan doesn't auto-enroll individuals, so many will choose no insurance as happens today with Obamacare. That's at best.

The reality is that we don't know what the public option looks like from him.

But this opacity is a feature, not a bug.

35 minutes ago, RCRanger03 said:

Ive never voted Dem but if i did i think a Kamala/Boot-edge-edge (really either direction) would be a ticket i could see convincing me

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I have been thinking about that ticket lately.  I think Kamala/Pete is the way to go at this point.  Imagine Kamala debating Trump and Pete vs Pence. 

25 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

I have been thinking about that ticket lately.  I think Kamala/Pete is the way to go at this point.  Imagine Kamala debating Trump and Pete vs Pence. 

Acceptable ticket.  Since  I think Thursday night killed the Biden-Harris dream, lol. 

Pete doesn’t understand how to appeal to black voters.  Or maybe he does but he doesn’t want to alienate a section of the Trump voters. 

The African American community doesn’t necessarily want favoritism.  They want representatives that will protect their rights from racist policies and practices and stand up to the racist pieces of shit advocating them.  They want someone who doesn’t pander to the Trump voters while ignoring the racism that comes with them.  They respect strength more than platitudes. 

At least that’s the way I see it, I could be wrong. 

He has a lot of allies in the SB black community and most don't blame him directly for the systemic racism that has plagued their community, but the media doesn't really care to dive into that. 

Still, the reality is this is a massive obstacle and he has to find a way to connect with POC. It will clearly make or break his campaign. The good news is his strong fundraising has bought him more time. 

The head of the South bend NAACP had repeatedly supported Pete. Jesse Jackson came out the other day and said he's not the problem, too. Pete spoke at the rainbow push coalition breakfast on Chicago this morning.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?462128-1/pete-buttigieg-speaks-reporters-ahead-rainbow-push-coalition-speech

47 minutes ago, Ozzman said:

The head of the South bend NAACP had repeatedly supported Pete. Jesse Jackson came out the other day and said he's not the problem, too. Pete spoke at the rainbow push coalition breakfast on Chicago this morning.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?462128-1/pete-buttigieg-speaks-reporters-ahead-rainbow-push-coalition-speech

lol Jesse Jackson

12 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Why does South Bend utilize a police Use of Force policy drafted by private company comprised of ex cops?  Does Mayor Pete have no control over this or does he just not give a shit?

How strange and interesting. You happen to know the organization that drafted the policy, that police comprise the organization's members, and that the policy is in the South Bend Police Policy Manual, but you have to ask about Pete's part in the fact that it's in the policy manual.

Interesting. But you're just asking questions, so it's clearly some sort of mental illness of my own that causes me to wonder about the whole thing. Otherwise, I'd have to conclude you were disingenuous, and that can't be true.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

How strange and interesting. You happen to know the organization that drafted the policy, that police comprise the organization's members, and that the policy is in the South Bend Police Policy Manual, but you have to ask about Pete's part in the fact that it's in the policy manual.

Interesting. But you're just asking questions, so it's clearly some sort of mental illness of my own that causes me to wonder about the whole thing. Otherwise, I'd have to conclude you were disingenuous, and that can't be true.

Look at the copyright notice and then read this.  https://theappeal.org/lexipol-police-policy-company/

The company, which now has more than 200 employees, was founded in 2003 by Bruce Praet and Gordon Graham, two former law enforcement officers who later became attorneys, and businessman Dan Merkle. Before founding Lexipol, Praet was an attorney for the Los Angeles police union and the Orange city attorney’s office, where he handled police litigation.

In an interview, Praet rejected the ACLU’s allegations that Lexipol’s immigration policies were ever unconstitutional or illegal.

Lexipol advertises itself as a time-saver. Instead of drafting and adapting their own policies, departments can simply outsource the job to Lexipol, which pledges to protect agencies from lawsuits by keeping them up to date with the latest court decisions and legislation. To some city officials who rely on the policies, the appeal of the service is the updates and industry best practices it pledges to provide. The company’s terms and conditions specify that Lexipol is not liable for its policies, leaving its clients responsible if the policies are challenged in court, like in Spokane.

But a risk management approach doesn’t always square with better policing. In fact, Lexipol’s focus on vaguer, more flexible policies can shield officers from accountability and hinder reform, legal experts say.

sounds just like something a former McKinsey associate would pursue

1 hour ago, Ozzman said:

Big speech by Pete tonight as he outlines his national service policy.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1TY1DO?__twitter_impression=true

Saw him last night at a fundraiser. He's definitely in for the long haul.

Good responses coming from his yesterday morning appearance at rainbow push.

Can one fulfill their duty under Pete’s plan by being a CBP baby jailor?

"I served alongside and trusted my life to people who held totally different political views. You shouldn't have to go to war in order to have that kind of experience, which is why I am proposing a plan to create more opportunities for national service.”

The entire purpose of this policy proposal is to remind people he went to Afghanistan. It solves zero problems.

What a fucking joke.

Yeah I’m for a National Service program in theory but I need to see specific details on any proposed plan.

My cousin taught through the last one. I honestly cannot remember if he was part of the original Bill Clinton plan or if GW had a similar plan - this isn’t about which side does it.

He was tasked to teach in underserved rural Mississippi.

He ended up teaching and coaching for two years, then in administration for three years at a flipping magnet school/segregation academy.

And got his low salary from said private school enhanced by the program and some loan forgiveness.

I’m very, very skeptical of these service programs. Besides being akin to indentured servitude they end up being used as resume enhancers for white frat boys with future political ambitions because their family is able to supplement their lifestyle while they work for very low wages in these programs.

• Like 2