Buttigieg 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

26 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

“How’s he handling it?” said Oliver Davis, the longest-serving black member of the South Bend Common Council. “Well, he talked to the media before the family. He skipped the family vigil, full of black residents. And then he then gave a speech to the police. So, how do you think that went over?”

giphy.gif

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fnvlupin.blob.core

HG,

Right now, my hometown of South Bend is hurting. This past weekend, a member of our South Bend community – a Black man named Eric Logan – lost his life at the hands of another member of our community – a white police officer.

While the case is still being investigated, we do know this: a South Bend family is enduring the crushing and inconsolable anguish that far too many Black and Latino families across the country have shared. Our city, and our nation, demands answers about the dynamic between our police officers and the communities they are sworn to protect.

I am not from a community of color, and I pray that I’ll never get the terrible phone call that Eric Logan’s family received last Sunday. But Eric’s death – no matter what details emerge about the circumstances and the actions of the officer involved – shines a bright light on a subject that impacts my life, your life, and the lives of Americans from all walks of life. All police work and all of American life takes place in the shadow of racism, which hurts everyone and everything it touches. Historic racism, present-day racism, and generational racism – they all secrete a kind of poison into the bloodstream of this country. And we must join together to make things right, no matter how demanding that process may be.

When someone sees police car lights in his neighborhood and is filled with fear instead of reassurance, that should move all of us to demand a change in how policing is done. When someone gets followed around a store by a security guard because she committed the sin of shopping while Black, that should spark outrage in all of us, whether we know her or not. When a parent is forced to discuss with their child how they – differently than their white peers – must be cautious in how they move and speak when confronted by a police officer, that should break all of our hearts.

There is a direct relationship between what happened in our nation’s past and what’s happening now. We cannot take racist policies and replace them with neutral policies and expect things to even out; the consequences of racial hurt for the economic and physical security of all Americans, and especially Black Americans, shape our times.

We must do more. Here at home, building on past work that has included civilian oversight, police data transparency, bias and civil rights trainings, we are now taking further steps to end the divide of distrust between police and those they serve – with transparency and accountability as our central guides. 

In new ways, we will elicit community input on the policies that decide how the police department does its work – policies on body cameras, the use of force, and the prevention of bias – and we will empower community members to help shape how these policies are put into practice.

No diverse community – least of all our country as a whole – can move forward without directly confronting how racism undermines everything we work to achieve. In our past and our present, we have innumerable moments in which racial injustice came at the hands of those trusted with being instruments of justice, and this fact burdens all of us.

I believe that if there is any place that can overcome the things that are pulling people apart, it’s here in America, especially my hometown.

I thank you for your moral support in these efforts as we seek to build a safer and more just city and country. 

Pete

Yeah local news reports are saying he was asked not to attend the funeral by community leaders because they didn’t want the media circus and that he did reach out to the family but the family was advised by their attorney not to speak with him.

But yikes at this body language from the mother and yikes at giving condolences in front of the cameras-

1245d99c69aec280921af2fcee1d9c3b.jpg

“This is his nightmare,” said Jorden Gieger, a community organizer who is close to Logan’s family. “You have to imagine the first thing he said to the police chief was, ‘You all had one job: Don’t shoot a black guy while I’m running for president.’ ”

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I've had a few bourbons and I'm lost. What is this in reference to?

My man. I'm two Lone Stars and two Angels Envy Rum Barrels in. Look at b_t's video above. Ignoring the "I'm not asking for your vote" stuff which seems to be lacking context.. dude is standing in front of a black family, eyes down on a piece of paper reading off of a script saying "well this is the official company line". That's lame as fuck.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Man, thanks for that. The Twitter news era got me and I pride myself on not being taken in by that. We all have to be careful about context.

I'm fully aware of what we're up against right now. If this sinks him, it sinks him. But misleading info is out of control and it's extremely frustrating. 

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I'm fully aware of what we're up against right now. If this sinks him, it sinks him. But misleading info is out of control and it's extremely frustrating. 

No doubt. Trust nobody, I suppose. 

b_t, cmon man. You know we spar and whatnot but you gotta be better than that. Don't make me put disingenuous b_t in the Hugo power rankings. I will.

Edited by BradInATX

Running for President as a mayor definitely has it's disadvantages but this has to be the biggest one. A mayor is so close to the frontline that it's impossible to avoid get splattered with with muck from this kind of situation. A Governor, Senator, Congressman or VP wouldn't have to answer for cops being cops or gentrification.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, F250 said:

Running for President as a mayor definitely has it's disadvantages but this has to be the biggest one. A mayor is so close to the frontline that it's impossible to avoid get splattered with with muck from this kind of situation. A Governor, Senator, Congressman or VP wouldn't have to answer for cops being cops or gentrification.

Yeah, it's kinda funny that people have scoffed at Pete being mayor of a "small" town of 100k, but when does a Senator have this kind of personal responsibility with his/her constituents? 

9 minutes ago, F250 said:

What's unbelievably maddening is that we've come to a point to where it's irritating that a mayor is held accountable for every action when running for president. Of course they should be. Their history and their resume should be of utmost importance. But when you have just the ultimate piece of shit on the other side, and they want to ask Pete (or Liz or Kamala or Bernie or anyone) about something from 4 years ago, it's beyond ridiculous.

It pisses me off in multiple ways. One, the double standard. And two that we've moved beyond the fact that we really should hold people accountable because the leader of the free world is such a piece of shit that we don't really read resumes anymore. We just decide in the interview whether we could slay bitches with them on 6th street. 

40 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

CNN spliced/edited that clip together and it was posted by a CNN contributor. 

"Six ... long pause ... I cannot support because I do not have evidence that there has been discipline for racist behavior in the case of one of the officers."

In that long pause, he is reading, but not saying aloud, whatever demand #6 was. Based on his response, it was likely the firing or punishment of a specific officer or a specific group of officers.

Yours: Starts earlier in the reading, ends earlier in the reading (You can hear the angry woman start with "And you..." at the end of your clip)
CNN: Starts later in the reading, ends later in the reading (Including what they quoted)

I have no idea what you think they spliced/edited. Those videos aren't covering the same moments; there's nothing misleading or dishonest about either one (they are unedited video clips, for god's sake).

As I said, fuck being a mayor.

36 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

b_t, cmon man. You know we spar and whatnot but you gotta be better than that. Don't make me put disingenuous b_t in the Hugo power rankings. I will.

Odds that BradinATX learns from this and isn't an incessantly-combative-and-reactionary troll?

Low.

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

"Six ... long pause ... I cannot support because I do not have evidence that there has been discipline for racist behavior in the case of one of the officers."

In that long pause, he is reading, but not saying aloud, whatever demand #6 was. Based on his response, it was likely the firing or punishment of a specific officer or a specific group of officers.

Yours: Starts earlier in the reading, ends earlier in the reading (You can hear the angry woman start with "And you..." at the end of your clip)
CNN: Starts later in the reading, ends later in the reading (Including what they quoted)

I have no idea what you think they spliced/edited. Those videos aren't covering the same moments; there's nothing misleading or dishonest about either one (they are unedited video clips, for god's sake).

As I said, fuck being a mayor.

Odds that BradinATX learns from this and isn't an incessantly-combative-and-reactionary troll?

Low.

Did you watch to the end? It's literally the same moment.

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

Did you know he was reading from a list of demands (not his own written words) when you posted the original clip? BradATX didn’t. I don’t think Keith Boykins did either. Do you not think that context is necessary?

It's not necessary to see how awkward that encounter was (hence, "ouch"), no.

I think it's useful context to understand what was happening.

It's hilarious that you and Brad are so invested in being combative trolls about the personality allegiances that you're acting like I'm the one who was going after Pete here. Reality doesn't matter, just the eternal struggle against the Bernie Bro.

Just an awkward moment in an impossible situation.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Did you watch to the end? It's literally the same moment.

They overlap a little, but they are not "literally the exact same moment".

The clip Hank posted ends right before the woman starts.

The CNN clip includes her talking to Pete.

No splicing, no editing, no conspiracy.

BT, I think the problem is you take EVERY SINGLE CRITICISM personally. I wasn’t speaking specifically to you in regards to that video. More to the fact that it’s been retweeted 2k+ times and the replies on social media are super negative and don’t know the proper context.

you are such a fucking beating. You’re willing to Zapruder film every Bernie critique and throw a hissy fit defending him,  then act like people need to grow up or toughen up when supporting other candidates. It’s pathetic. Stop.

• Like 3

And there was an edit at the end of video BT posted, right before Pete said he wasn’t asking for her vote.

What was the edit? I see a flash, which might be culling some words, or it might just be cutting some incomprehensible crosstalk, or it might be a digital artifact/flaw.

So what do you imagine the edit actually was? Do you have the full video of the entire reading?

And of course they cut then video short before he finished what he was saying to that lady.

The video you posted was also cut short of that moment, it was cut before the conflict even started. This isn't a conspiracy. They are video clips.

You guys can just forgive yourselves and each other for going after Pete without lashing out at other people to salve your consciences about being unfaithful to your special boy.

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

BT, I think the problem is you take EVERY SINGLE CRITICISM personally.

irony is fun for everyone

I posted transcripts. Read them.

The transcript only records the main (loudest) woman yelling at him and Pete himself. It doesn't include everyone else in the crosstalk.

What was spliced out?