Buttigieg 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

Mayor Pete speaking the truth. Trump was elected because of something that is wrong within our country and returning to normalcy (Biden) isn't going to make that underlying problem go away.

Rebuke is an overly strong verb for that.  Warren has a point (providing content for an ad sales driven outlet of... I'm not going to misremember and misquote her but you get the gist), Buttigieg has a point as well.  Of course the conservative media will still tell his side of the story for him, but so will he, as Bernie did before him.

Edited by Celery Man

Yeah I generally like Pete and think a lot of the latest attacks on him from the far left have been manufactured bullshit but he’s being naive at best, disingenuous and craven at worst with that take.

The mind numbed Fox News robots aren’t going to listen to Pete’s 4 minute thoughtful answer on climate change with an open mind.

They’re going to listen to Hannity and Tucker’s monologues about his radical policies and veiled jabs about his homosexuality and fall in line.

And Fox News will use the increase in viewers from Pete stans and people tuning in to check out Pete to fluff their reach with advertisers.

Elizabeth Warren is 1,000% right.

44 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Yeah I generally like Pete and think a lot of the latest attacks on him from the far left have been manufactured bullshit but he’s being naive at best, disingenuous and craven at worst with that take.

The mind numbed Fox News robots aren’t going to listen to Pete’s 4 minute thoughtful answer on climate change with an open mind.

They’re going to listen to Hannity and Tucker’s monologues about his radical policies and veiled jabs about his homosexuality and fall in line.

And Fox News will use the increase in viewers from Pete stans and people tuning in to check out Pete to fluff their reach with advertisers.

Elizabeth Warren is 1,000% right.

Buttigieg is a Red State Democrat and barely has over 50% name recognition with voters. His campaign, from Day One, has been open to doing as many interviews/town halls as possible. Elizabeth Warren has every right to #Resist, and she's definitely getting a bump with that strategy.  Good for her, let's see how it works out.

Pete most likely will do well tomorrow night. Maybe it doesn't move the needle with Republicans, but I appreciate that he's making the effort. Better to try and fail then to never try at all.

He's not going to pull in Super Bowl viewing numbers and "legitimize" Fox News all by himself, either. The hysterics over Bernie doing a Fox Town Hall were ridiculous, and so is this. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

Fox News audiences will be blessed to have Pete take out an hour of their normal deza programming.   Pete needs exposure but in my view he is making a compromise by going on Fox News.  He’s enabling and legitimizing Fox News which is a harmful source of information in our society. 

Fox News is now a stone’s throw away from InfoWars.  Would you be cool with Pete going on InfoWars if they had the audience? 

I would not. 

you guys realize there are people who watch fox news who won't vote for trump, right?

anyone sick of the every day bullshit will give candidates a chance (bernie, pete, possibly even biden, because olds watch fox).  anyone who spends every day eating the bullshit - well, it doesn't really matter who does or doesn't appear on their air.

fox gets big ratings.  basically what cnn and msnbc get combined.  you can't expect to win the presidency and support the free press and openly ignore fox news just to prove a point - no matter how accurate the point may be.  that's trump-style nonsense.

i love warren, but her move was a stunt at best, a mistake at worst.  blowing off fox because you don't want to help their advertising is like blowing off the nfl because you think it's too violent.  fox won't miss warren, but some of their viewers could've learned something by her appearing.

there hasn't been an interview yet that pete couldn't handle.  tomorrow i expect will be no different.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

They will still lie about you and your views, Pete. 

and if you don't show up, they'll tell the truth about you declining to participate.  much easier to characterize a candidate when the anecdote starts with the truth.

it's not like they're ever gonna read a well-worded open letter you wrote about why you said no.

• Like 2

If InfoWars was the #1 eyeball-catching news outlet in the nation I would 100% support Democrats appearing as much as possible as long as there were some "you have to make the entire interview available" and/or "we will also be filming and can release the footage/transcripts" deal.

You don't go online with Shapiro and Rubin and the like because they're smaller than the candidates and, therefore, they have more to gain. FOX is bigger than the candidates.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mchookem said:

as Bill Maher keeps pointing out...if they can peel off even a few percentage points of fox viewers, that would swing things. 

good job, Pete.

and Donald Trump is a pathetic scaredy-cat crybaby. 

Fox News will spend all week destroying Pete after this.  Twisting his words and painting his responses in the worst possible light.  They did it to Bernie.  We’re not going to notice because we don’t watch Fox News like their regular viewers but that’s how they do. 

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Fox News will spend all week destroying Pete after this.  Twisting his words and painting his responses in the worst possible light.  They did it to Bernie.  We’re not going to notice because we don’t watch Fox News like their regular viewers but that’s how they do. 

and....who cares?

you think they were showering pete with compliments before this?

he definitely got some new fans tonight.  and the people who buy everything carlson and hannity tell them weren't interested anyway.

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

and....who cares?

you think they were showering pete with compliments before this?

he definitely got some new fans tonight.  and the people who buy everything carlson and hannity tell them weren't interested anyway.

Yeah, good for Pete.  He doesn’t have anything to lose.  

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yeah, good for Pete.  He doesn’t have anything to lose.  

counterpoint - if Biden does an absolute faceplant and completely fucks up his position, those people are going to be largely up for grabs between Buttigieg and Harris.  It's hard to keep track of all of the candidates at this point, but unless Beto shows something he hasn't shown yet I think the folks with legs besides Biden are Sanders, Warren, Harris, and Buttigieg.  He's not exactly Gillibrand or Castro - he's basically tied for 3rd or 4th.

I think it’s still wide open among the top 6 or so candidates.  People aren’t exactly locked into Biden.  They just need to see something better come along.  I think Warren and Pete both approached Fox News in their own respectable way if that makes sense.  I happen to agree with Warren’s take on Fox News being a big part of our political society’s corruption problem and removing herself from that platform on principle. 

Watched it. Pete slayed IMO

He's a class or 10 above what the FOX audiences are used to. I don't think just any Dem could do these, though.

Guys like Wallace aren't exactly noble geniuses, but they are smart enough to appreciate a guy like Pete over the usual morons their overlords force on them.

4 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Watched it. Pete slayed IMO

He's a class or 10 above what the FOX audiences are used to. I don't think just any Dem could do these, though.

Guys like Wallace aren't exactly noble geniuses, but they are smart enough to appreciate a guy like Pete over the usual morons their overlords force on them.

I at least think Wallace is a pretty straight shooter and seems to care about getting answers and no BS.  I'll take that any day in the current media ecosystem.

47 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Well that took all of 8.6 seconds for the real Fox News to go after Pete

It's a tough call and I won't hold it against him for trying but you have to wonder what the net effect of a stand out performance followed by nonstop negative propaganda is. Probably helped with the democratic base who tuned in or will see clips but probably didn't do much for reaching your typical Fox news viewer. Make no mistake, Fox News will go all in on relecting Trump. They keep guys like Chris Wallace around for plausible deniability.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mchookem said:

hmm... given the audience reaction to him calling Trump 'grotesque', i'm guessing the audience is maybe not comprised of diehard fox viewers 🤔

My biggest takeaway was how responsive the audience was to him. Not just because he is a smart reasonable person but because I assume if you're going to a fox town hall you're pretty conservative.  

Fox & Friends will go after Pete's comments in a Town Hall hosted by any network. 

I just read a comment on Twitter that said "you have to play road games to win a title" or something to that effect. Don't we want someone willing to enter the lion's den? 

I respect Warren's decision to ban Fox News. That's her right. But make no mistake, it's red meat for the Democratic base.  Strategically it might help her with primary voters, but  it will be a completely different story in the general election. If Warren wins the D nomination, it actually wouldn't surprise me if she then decided to go on Fox News.

Pete made a decision that he knew wouldn't be popular, but felt was the right thing to do.  He's super talented, and we should want him on the field as much as possible. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

My biggest takeaway was how responsive the audience was to him. Not just because he is a smart reasonable person but because I assume if you're going to a fox town hall you're pretty conservative.  

I don't think that's a good assumption.  The Bernie one was full of Bernie people.  Just because the network is hosting doesn't mean they go out into their viewer pool to get audience members.

14 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Fox & Friends will go after Pete's comments in a Town Hall hosted by any network. 

I just read a comment on Twitter that said "you have to play road games to win a title" or something to that effect. Don't we want someone willing to enter the lion's den? 

I respect Warren's decision to ban Fox News. That's her right. But make no mistake, it's red meat for the Democratic base.  Strategically it might help her with primary voters, but  it will be a completely different story in the general election. If Warren wins the D nomination, it actually wouldn't surprise me if she then decided to go on Fox News.

Pete made a decision that he knew wouldn't be popular, but felt was the right thing to do.  He's super talented, and we should want him on the field as much as possible. 

I respect Warren's opinion because she refused to give Fox News viewers ($$$$), a platform and legitimacy. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don't think that's a good assumption.  The Bernie one was full of Bernie people.  Just because the network is hosting doesn't mean they go out into their viewer pool to get audience members.

I did not know that. good to know. Thanks

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I respect Warren's opinion because she refused to give Fox News viewers ($$$$), a platform and legitimacy. 

The legitimacy argument is really weak. Aren't they the highest rated cable news channel by a good margin?  People aren't magically going to tune in to Fox every night now because Pete did an hour long Town Hall. I'm not going to tune in to their channel now because his appearance "legitimized" them in any way. 

Everyone in this country with a television has already formed an opinion on whether or not they want to watch Fox News. 

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

yeah, my understanding was that people who want to come, come.  there were pete fans lined up around the corner, and that's not something fox producers could really control.  same with bernie's.

am i remembering it right - where during bernie's, trump complained that there were a lot of gop/anti-bernie folks outside protesting, that were "denied access to the town hall" or some bullshit?

now all that said, it is good to see nice applause breaks (by any audience) on fox news for someone like pete.  like i've been saying, there were two types of conservative/potential trump voters watching last night:

-those who learned more about pete, and are thinking about alternatives to trump

-those who hated everything he said, and were never going to be won over anyway

warren may think she's too far left to make any type of impact on a fox audience, but i still think there's plenty of folks 50-75 years old that still don't know enough about warren, because they get their news from fox, and that could really help her. 

someone with specific ratings numbers on one of those twitter threads basically said something (in response to pete's decision to go on fox), "boycotting fox is ignoring over 1/3rd of america and trying to win an election".  assuming that's true, that's a tough needle to thread for any dem.  maybe biden could get away with it, if and only if his numbers stay strong.

58 minutes ago, Js1 said:

once again, they already have plenty of viewers - go check out the numbers.  as for legitimacy, sure, when accused of only placating the right, fox could say, "hey, we had liz warren on, so we give both sides a chance to speak."  not sure that does anything more than reassure some advertisers that they're not totally biased.  but as long as they offer the opportunity, they can still say, "hey, we offered these candidates the chance, and they turned it down."  seems like a pretty similar argument for them to make.  advertisers care about ratings, and they have ratings already.

i don't think it necessarily helps or hurts warren.  maybe a bunch of dem voters will say, "fuck yeah liz!" but they were in the bank anyway.  as for someone like bernie, it would've been much tougher for him to decline (and i'm glad he didn't).  it wouldn't match his style and attitude to turn down a fox town hall.  that's not his brand.

58 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The legitimacy argument is really weak. Aren't they the highest rated cable news channel by a good margin?  People aren't magically going to tune in to Fox every night now because Pete did an hour long Town Hall. I'm not going to tune in to their channel now because his appearance "legitimized" them in any way. 

Everyone in this country with a television has already formed an opinion on whether or not they want to watch Fox News. 

Propaganda network, IMO. 

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Propaganda network, IMO. 

nobody likes the message coming from a bulk of their talking heads, but they have the numbers, and sometimes you gotta find voters where they live.

i've gotten most of my sports coverage the last 20 years from espn, but i don't like several of their commentators (bayless, berman, lou holtz, herbstreit, etc) or what they're constantly trying to sell me (sec, yankees, red sox). 

i'm an adult, and i get over it.