Buttigieg 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

I used to really enjoy shitting on Mayor Pete, but now with Creepy Joe crushing all the new polling, I can’t find much enjoyment in it anymore. Mayor Pete and Beta are just temporary distractions and in the end we’ll end up with someone even worse. 

1 hour ago, Continental Op said:

Mayor Pete isn't going to win the nomination. Spending a bunch of time dragging him here makes about as much sense as going to the baseball board and talking a bunch of shit about the Baltimore Orioles.

sick burn.

i don't think we have an orioles thread, but this should suffice:

1 minute ago, Continental Op said:

Same deal. I doubt you'll find anyone on that thread predicting an AL West title. 

Mayor Pete is a good candidate and if he gets the democratic nomination he has my vote.  I just don't understand B_T's throbbing hate boner.

it's best not to think about it.

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

It’s pretty simple - team Bernie did an about face in unison as soon as he went from kinda interesting to a serious candidate.

I was actually wondering about this and... no. Your'e wrong. He was in 5th place or lower at that point.

His poll surge was late April and the bloom went off the rose (for THIS Bernie Bro, at least), in late March (pretty close to when people started paying attention). Just click the link and do a little scrolling if you're interested in reality.

It's not a grand conspiracy.

Just now, Celery Man said:

Not suggesting that it's a conspiracy - you're just all sniffing the same farts.

Or noticing that Pete's values aren't necessarily aligned with our own which, in the case of a primary, is something worth noting and discussing.

So if by "farts" you mean "vague neoliberalism" then... yeah, we've been smelling that for a month and a half now.

I suspect Beto expected this was his. Big blow. Same with the LGBTQ community, lots of rallying around Pete (understandably) and in the senate race we gays were 100% in his corner from the HRC National endorsement to informal gatherings to make contributions. Mayor Pete has absolutely taken from Beto.

On 5/11/2019 at 7:23 PM, 406W30th said:

Don't get this supposed sick burn. Basically just reinforces that MAD is a bygone, out-of-touch cultural institution.

Trump accused Pete of looking like Alfred E. Newman.  Pete said he wasn't sure that meant and maybe Alfred E. Newman was a generational thing.  I.e he burned Trump because of his age.

Mad Magazine (didn't know still existed) is playing into the joke. 

In fairness to Beto, in politics if you don't jump in, you might get left out.  That being said, this never felt like the right move.  He was a hit in Texas but he did  get beat by the biggest asshole to every hold public office in the state, so he shouldn't have gotten too cocky.

The person who said he should run against Dan Patrick makes some sense, and if not that, then certainly regroup, and then take a shot at the next Texas Senate seat.

Pete's younger, he was in the shit, he isn't as flakey, and he seems smarter.  Head to head, Pete wins. 

Good luck Beto, you're still alright.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

getting yourself to three separate events in a single day in different parts of la is more impressive than anything trump has done this year.

that's some jack bauer shit right there.

Jack Bauer?   Must be a generational thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Mayor Pete: "I'd like to hear from the people I'd like to represent.

BT: "Bullshit.  What a fucking fraud."

lol.  

bt - the only people that like pete are white, college educated liberals.

hg - i guess that's why i like pete.

bt - but that's why you shouldn't like him.

hg - 

He was literally a nobody to voters 60 days ago. He's made an impression on certain voters, and he really needs to work on capturing a lot more. 

It's a process.  It's hilarious that people have no patience for a candidate that is still introducing himself to the country. 

13 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Trump accused Pete of looking like Alfred E. Newman.  Pete said he wasn't sure that meant and maybe Alfred E. Newman was a generational thing.  I.e he burned Trump because of his age.

Mad Magazine (didn't know still existed) is playing into the joke. 

They covered Pete's response on Morning Joe today. Pete said he wasn't familiar with the reference and had to google it, said it must be a generational thing. Then he reminded Trump that he was the president and maybe his time would be better spent working on the China trade deal. 

I was kind of hoping he'd say, "What, me worry?" It probably wouldn't have been smart, but it would've been funny. 

Mika was totally clueless about Mad Magazine. She kept talking about how she loved "doing those" on family vacations as a kid. She was obviously thinking of Mad Libs. She asked Joe if he loved doing those and he was just kind of quietly like, um, no, let's cut to the commercial. That's when I tuned out so I don't know if they ever corrected her. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

13 hours ago, tantric superman said:

In fairness to Beto, in politics if you don't jump in, you might get left out.  That being said, this never felt like the right move.  He was a hit in Texas but he did  get beat by the biggest asshole to every hold public office in the state, so he shouldn't have gotten too cocky.

The person who said he should run against Dan Patrick makes some sense, and if not that, then certainly regroup, and then take a shot at the next Texas Senate seat.

Pete's younger, he was in the shit, he isn't as flakey, and he seems smarter.  Head to head, Pete wins. 

Good luck Beto, you're still alright.

Yep. I thought Obama was a little callow to be running for president. Beto is more so. I'm not even really considering Beto even though I like him as a public figure.

Buttigieg is an impressive young man who seems like a good option for president. I'm still with E. Warren, though.

As usual, it won't matter much who I favor and I'll just vote for what I get. Probably Biden who is at least a good option.

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Correct. He was polling at 0% with all SC voters 3 months ago.  Give him a chance?

For sure, but it's still a big challenge because African Americans make up 60% of the Democratic vote there.

Sadly I think Joe Biden is going to run away with this thing.

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

It doesn't give you pause that Pete is only attractive to an elite group of people? Like... none at all?

it worries me because i want him to make a move and be a serious contender, and i understand to do that, he has to have wider appeal in those areas.  it's also still very early, and more than one poc has publicly said that certain groups of voters are less proactive in learning about certain candidates, but they thought it would eventually happen.

but i don't base who i like based on whether different groups of people like that candidate.  that's the stupidest shit i've ever heard.  form your own opinion.  i base who i like on whether things that are important to me are important to him.  what his values are.  i base it on what type of thinker he is.  i base it on how he makes me feel about the state of our country when he speaks.  i base it on how he takes in problems and strategizes to address them.

early on, you said something to the effect of "i like pete, but i'm not sure his values line up exactly with mine."  we had that discussion, and i thought it was a totally fair way to assess a candidate.  but ever since, most of your criticism has been "only white college educated liberal people like him."  you've expounded on that to show certain "examples" that sorta speak to why this is an issue, but mostly it comes back to the initial criticism.  obviously, you think he's not speaking to a certain piece of the pie.  that's ok to think, and may certainly be accurate thus far, but isn't a reason to do a 180 on someone you used to generally like.

his hirings aren't racist or elitist.  his policies aren't racist or elitist (and there aren't many, but they're slowly trickling out).  seems like you're ready to give pete a failing grade, but maybe in your mind he deserves more of an incomplete.  but hey, sometimes this business just comes down to "i don't like that guy."  which is also totally ok.  

28 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

early on, you said something to the effect of "i like pete, but i'm not sure his values line up exactly with mine."  we had that discussion, and i thought it was a totally fair way to assess a candidate.  but ever since, most of your criticism has been "only white college educated liberal people like him."

Those are not necessarily different things at all. The type of support (race/class) can be directly tied to those values.

If someone is very comfortable and safe (white, college-educated liberals) then all they really need is the right face, the right tone of voice, and decorum because the policy isn't really important. As long as the feel of the candidate is good, it's all fine because that candidate's policy isn't really going to impact their lives.

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Those are not necessarily different things at all. The type of support (race/class) can be directly tied to those values.

If someone is very comfortable and safe (white, college-educated liberals) then all they really need is the right face, the right tone of voice, and decorum because the policy isn't really important. As long as the feel of the candidate is good, it's all fine because that candidate's policy isn't really going to impact their lives.

so if i'm hearing you right (and i might not be) then your issue with the fact that only white elite college educated liberals like pete, is that he may take that information and use it as a reason to not try to tailor his policies and actions to a bigger chunk of society, namely, poc?  that he himself might be too comfortable with his "base" and think he's done enough because those people like him?

i'm honestly asking if that's the correlation you're assigning here.

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

so if i'm hearing you right (and i might not be) then your issue with the fact that only white elite college educated liberals like pete, is that he may take that information and use it as a reason to not try to tailor his policies and actions to a bigger chunk of society, namely, poc?

No.

that he himself might be too comfortable with his "base" and think he's done enough because those people like him?

No.

Vulnerable populations need champions. Comfortable populations needs managers. Pete is a manager.

• Like 1

Concisely stated and true.

Trump is raising revenue by essentially taxing the American people and his fans love it.

Not to defend trump but tariffs are one of the primary tools to bring a difficult trade partner to the table. Bernie and trump share more in common on trade than they don’t. I don’t like the tariffs but I also recognize that a better trade deal *could* come from it. Same with blowing up NAFTA or refusing to support the Trans Pacific trade deal.

It may not work, it may be an ill advised way to get there, China may out last trump if they think he’s one and done and Biden for example will cave. Lots of variables but attacking trump on trade isn’t exactly a fair position for the Bernie supporters.

Going on FOXNews is one thing. It's the most popular cable news channel in the nation and has been for a very long time. There's a tradition of politicians reaching out in that way.

But Pete/his team really needs to stop flirting with right-wing Nazi-YouTube-cycle personalities like Shapiro and Rubin.

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The hysterics from people like Dan O’Sullivan over something that hasn’t happened yet are pathetic. Just fucking relax and wait for the actual interview (if it even happens) before crying about it.

What if the goal is to make sure the interview doesn't happen?

9d5.png

"Come on guys Pete hasn't even done the interview with Holocaust Denier's Weekly yet how on earth can you be mad about it? Jeez calm down." - Genius Centrist

So you want the Twitter mob to dictate the code of conduct for the press secretary of a candidate?

When you talk about other people being "hysterical" it's a classic case of every accusation a confession.

I think the candidate should dictate his own communications. I also think potential voters should voice their concerns.

This is how it works, and Precious Grandson Pete will be OK and the mean mean meanies on Twitter won't hurt him.

Pointing out the hysterics of Dan O’Sullivan and saying he should calm down makes me...hysterical? Brilliant stuff, BT. 

Whining about a "Twitter mob" is far more "hysterical" than anything Dan O'Sullivan said.

Which part of his Tweet is unfair or an overreaction? Can you address the substance at all or are we doing the usual Petehead defensive reaction where we ignore substance and make everything about attacking the speaker?

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

It’s “absolutely shameful” and “cannot be accepted as ok”, that Chris Meagher responded to a Dave Rubin tweet?

Why do you phrase this in a way that completely ignores the content of the response?

It is absolutely shameful to respond obligingly to that request and it should not be accepted as OK. The response, if any, should be, "No, thank you."

The fact that it's part of a pattern makes it perfectly fair to express concern.

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Going on FOXNews is one thing. It's the most popular cable news channel in the nation and has been for a very long time. There's a tradition of politicians reaching out in that way.

But Pete/his team really needs to stop flirting with right-wing Nazi-YouTube-cycle personalities like Shapiro and Rubin.

Hahaha Ben Shapiro is a Nazi? That was a great laugh.

Edited by workswithseed