Buttigieg 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

One thing I wish Pete would push harder for (I think he basically just wants Medicare on the exchange) is a single-payer universal healthcare system that is free at the point of service. If he gets the nominee and probably locks up the midwest with that, he could really cut to a ton of older but non-Medicare age Americans by pushing some type of M4A.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GSU&UT said:

One thing I wish Pete would push harder for (I think he basically just wants Medicare on the exchange) is a single-payer universal healthcare system that is free at the point of service. If he gets the nominee and probably locks up the midwest with that, he could really cut to a ton of older but non-Medicare age Americans by pushing some type of M4A.

He has said single-payer is the most efficient system, but he's playing the cowardly Dem game of hoping we can sneak it in by market magic, as if the entrenched powers won't figure it out.

9 minutes ago, Skyline said:

He has outlined some policies before, like his support for packing the supreme court. It's weird enough to be his niche policy goal or something. 

He's never advanced that as a specific policy goal from what I've seen. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He's never advanced that as a specific policy goal from what I've seen. 

He talked about some weird thing I don't like.

5 liberal justices, 5 conservative justices, and 5 "independent" requiring unanimous approval of the 10 politically appointed

3 hours ago, SKJ said:

Man, here talks so good, but has no real platform.

Please, just outline a policy.

Two months ago no one had even heard of him. He's now the rising star among the Dem nominees.

He's not afraid to talk about bold ideas – and I'm 100% confident he will outline very good specific policy when the time is right. But he has to worry about getting his name out there and capitalizing on this momentum, rather than talking about wonky policy specifics.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

Two months ago no one had even heard of him. He's now the rising star among the Dem nominees.

He's not afraid to talk about bold ideas – and I'm 100% confident he will outline very good specific policy when the time is right. But he has to worry about getting his name out there and capitalizing on this momentum, rather than talking about wonky policy specifics.

Yeah, but I think I'm not alone in wanting to know what he really stands for before seeing him as sometime I could vote for.

I hate platitudes and love actual policy ideas with plans and etc. Until he comes out with a platform, he's just another Obama.

9 minutes ago, SKJ said:

Yeah, but I think I'm not alone in wanting to know what he really stands for before seeing him as sometime I could vote for.

I hate platitudes and love actual policy ideas with plans and etc. Until he comes out with a platform, he's just another Obama.

On the most evokes Obama spectrum he is behind like 4 or 5 other candidates. 

47 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

On the most evokes Obama spectrum he is behind like 4 or 5 other candidates. 

Yes. That's true. I'm not saying anything to the contrary.

Look, my thought process is in planning, coordinating, and activating ideas. So when I hear platitudes, it actually kind of revolts me a bit. 

We're not in a good place. Our country seems to be regressing while all of our measurements say we're doing great. We're not even seeing the brunt of the problems that are going to hit is in the near future. Hell, we're not even talking about these problems as a general rule, so seeing more and more people talk about everything while having zero actual solutions doesn't really move me in any kind of way.

Just now, SKJ said:

Yes. That's true. I'm not saying anything to the contrary.

Look, my thought process is in planning, coordinating, and activating ideas. So when I hear platitudes, it actually kind of revolts me a bit. 

We're not in a good place. Our country seems to be regressing while all of our measurements say we're doing great. We're not even seeing the brunt of the problems that are going to hit is in the near future. Hell, we're not even talking about these problems as a general rule, so seeing more and more people talk about everything while having zero actual solutions doesn't really move me in any kind of way.

Don't disagree. And this has been the case for a long time. 

hat_front_1024x1024@2x.png?v=1553106671

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Or advanced a policy position like, oh, say health care. 

Yes. He advanced a policy position. You do recall that ACA wasn't really thought out when he was advancing it, though. 

He advanced a few more.

But mostly what he did was talk. Lots and lots of talk. Lots of it. A whole lot of ideas, with no meat to them, but a lot of should and would.

I'm not talking about his time in office, by the way, I'm talking about his campaign. 

Edited by SKJ

Although my top two candidates are two of the most substantive candidates, I have no problem with candidates not bothering with whitepapers right now. All we really need are the broad strokes. Details matter, but there is a season for all things and right now they need to communicate their values more generally.

Mayor Pete says "single-payer" is the best thing for universal coverage, and that's good enough to signify a position within the larger healthcare debate frame (single-payer vs. ACA 2.0). The Democrats will give him a menu of fleshed-out legislative proposals to back/tinker with/reject that either comport with his broad values or don't, so it's not like we need him to write a bill because none currently exist.

I would much rather him move on to talking about the broad strokes of his foreign policy vision than get unnecessarily-wonky about healthcare.

Now, if he starts coming across as vapid that's a problem, but I think he seems smart, serious-minded, and sincere.

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Although my top two candidates are two of the most substantive candidates, I have no problem with candidates not bothering with whitepapers right now. All we really need are the broad strokes. Details matter, but there is a season for all things and right now they need to communicate their values more generally.

I agree with this.

It is March 27, 2019.  I don't necessary need 16 (17? 19? how many people are running?) policy wonks 11 months out from Iowa.  White papers and detailed policy positions don't get you headlines and TV coverage.

Save the circle wonk for the June 2019 debate when they can debate actual ideas and policy against each other.  Until then, communicate themes and values that primary voters want to hear.  Give me the whats now - healthcare, voting rights, minimum wage, etc. - and the hows in about 3-4 months. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

He talked about some weird thing I don't like.

5 liberal justices, 5 conservative justices, and 5 "independent" requiring unanimous approval of the 10 politically appointed

1. i don't think that's that weird.

2. i don't really like it that much either.

however, i don't think that's really "his" solution.

i don't have the time right now to dig through his interviews, but i thought i remembered his primary opinion/objective was to "depoliticize the sc" which is something most are in favor of, at least in theory (as unrealistic as it might sound considering the confirmation process).  when asked how to do that, he said there were many options out there, but one that he liked was the [one you suggested].  i don't think that's something he came up with himself (but again, i could be wrong).  i think in an interview he also mentioned a rotational system, which sounded a little more complicated, but also more realistic as far as transitioning something like this.

i think right now i agree (with many above) it's about who he is and how he thinks.  i don't know if the sc is going to be one of his main platform issues, but i like that he has an opinion on it.  one thing pete does is try to establish an issue that's a legit problem we're all facing - instead of a "problem for one side or the other".  climate change is not a political issue, it's a scientific happening.  i like that he wants to take some of these issues and confront them as a country, not as a d or an r.  not sure how it'll play down the road, but with 19 months til election day, i think he's doing it the right way.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

I agree with this.

It is March 27, 2019.  I don't necessary need 16 (17? 19? how many people are running?) policy wonks 11 months out from Iowa.  White papers and detailed policy positions don't get you headlines and TV coverage.

Save the circle wonk for the June 2019 debate when they can debate actual ideas and policy against each other.  Until then, communicate themes and values that primary voters want to hear.  Give me the whats now - healthcare, voting rights, minimum wage, etc. - and the hows in about 3-4 months. 

We're interviewing for a CEO position.  Yes, I'm going to want to eventually discuss specific proposals he has for the enterprise.  But the biggest, gatekeeper questions for me are competence and motivation.  Does this person have the skillset to be a high-functioning CEO?  That means the skill of working with multiple stakeholder groups, managing employees and constituents in an effective way, etc.  Does he have the proper motivation?  That is, does he desire to advance the interests of the enterprise and its stakeholders, or is he in it just for himself?  Does he UNDERSTAND the mission and purpose of the enterprise?  Fundamentally, he has to show HOW he would do the job, and WHY he would do the job.  Once he clears those hurdles, then we can talk about the WHAT he will do in the job, but honestly, if he answers the first questions well, he's usually going to have pretty good answers to the third one.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We're interviewing for a CEO position.  Yes, I'm going to want to eventually discuss specific proposals he has for the enterprise.  But the biggest, gatekeeper questions for me are competence and motivation.  Does this person have the skillset to be a high-functioning CEO?  That means the skill of working with multiple stakeholder groups, managing employees and constituents in an effective way, etc.  Does he have the proper motivation?  That is, does he desire to advance the interests of the enterprise and its stakeholders, or is he in it just for himself?  Does he UNDERSTAND the mission and purpose of the enterprise?  Fundamentally, he has to show HOW he would do the job, and WHY he would do the job.  Once he clears those hurdles, then we can talk about the WHAT he will do in the job, but honestly, if he answers the first questions well, he's usually going to have pretty good answers to the third one.

considering our current president wasn't even sure he wanted to run, then wasn't sure he wanted to win, then definitely didn't think he was going to win, before he actually won, i think some preparation like you described would be kinda nice.  i do like his answer to the question, "you're only 37, so why now?"  he "gets it".

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

considering our current president wasn't even sure he wanted to run, then wasn't sure he wanted to win, then definitely didn't think he was going to win, before he actually won, i think some preparation like you described would be kinda nice.  i do like his answer to the question, "you're only 37, so why now?"  he "gets it".

I've worked with a lot of executive officers.  I've worked with enterprises as executives were hired, I've worked with them as they were fired.  In my experience, the uniform qualities of a good CEO are that they are competent at the TASKS of the job (managing a board, employees, political officials, whatever the case may be), and they are genuinely motivated to fulfill the mission of the enterprise -- they actually believe in it.  When you have those qualities, it's amazing how the high-functioning CEO of a software company can transition to becoming the high-functioning CEO of a pipe manufacturer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  I'll also add that far more important than one person having specific policy proposals, is someone who's willing to read up on topics and listen to experts, and actually hire the best people, rather than running his mouth about these things.

I don't really care about a candidate's exact plan for what to do about, say, climate change, than I do that the candidate cares about the issue and will listen to actual scientists, instead of taking advice from industry and paid pundits.  Hell, I hope that the candidate hasn't made up his mind about how exactly to combat climate change, and what combination of Green New Deal (and its specifics), rejoining the Paris accords, emission standards, etc. makes sense, because no candidate is an expert in every field.  I just want a president who gives a damn about the country and will deal with this and every issue in a thoughtful manner, caring about the impacts of his or her policies on the people.  

Whether the candidate wants Medicare for all eliminating private insurance, with private insurance, or some other solution to the issues of health care, I don't really give a fuck.  But I know that I want, say, my friend's kid, born with a genetic, preexisting condition, requiring expensive care and about to graduate college, to have affordable coverage.  The exact details of that don't matter at this stage.  Acting with good faith to address these problems is far more important.

• Like 2

“Consequences are being exposed now. And I do think there’s a way generationally to say, ‘Look, we weren’t around when you all decided for some reason it was okay to, like, not have D.C. be a state, but we think that’s dumb, doesn’t make any sense, and nobody can explain to us why that’s right, so we’re going to change that,’ ” Buttigieg says.

Very Millennial, I tell him.

“I don’t mean that in a disrespectful way. When I took office, I drilled into people, especially people retained from previous administrations, that the one phrase that is just not welcome here is We’ve always done it this way,” Buttigieg said. “Now, if you can explain why we’ve always done it this way, for some reason why this is better, then of course, but not if We’ve always done it this way is literally the only reason we’ve ever done it this way.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/01/buttigieg-announces-his-run-presidency/580984/

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SKJ said:

I'm not saying it's not a winning strategy, I just hate that it's a winning strategy. 

Hillary had well thought out, thoroughly documented policy positions she tried to talk about during the campaign. Nobody, including the Press seemed interested.

I'm a long time lurker and a friend of Pete. If you haven't been following Pete's fundraising, he originally had a goal of $500k by the end of the month. He made that in a day. He doubled down and made an additional $500k in another day. This time the fundraising team is trying to threepete. Give him $3 if you can Thursday.

I love seeing this thread and the enthusiasm Pete has garnered so far. It's so crazy to think that someone you've known for years is making a huge splash in the race for president. Help if you can. The moment is real and this is really happening.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk