Buttigieg 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

17 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I don't have faith in most D candidates being able to steal away Republican votes. I find Pete to be the exception. 

He wouldn't need them, but it's the ideal situation. 

Pete needs to do a USAA commercial.  I keep wondering how someone like him would have done vs. Ted Cruz.  I want to say the military service gives him a better shot at some cross overs. 

Edited by tantric superman
  • Like 2

I just wish this guy would come out with a platform I could read.

Everything I hear from him is political-speak and gushing stories how great a guy he is.

I don't trust "great guys" cuz their fall is so far.

This guy's an amazing person. We are lucky to have him enter the national stage and he would make a fine President. I am fairly confident we'll get that at some point during his life. 

Edit: Saw this was posted a few posts above. Oh well, worth repeating. 

Edited by horncyclist
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Here’s something for the Pete fans to brighten up your day.

(He’s adorable and awesome. I sincerely hope if he’s not the VP choice that whoever wins the nomination has him on the shortlist for a highly visible cabinet position.)

Would be a fun Secretary of State for sure. 

On 3/22/2019 at 2:54 PM, henrygandorf said:

agreed.  i think they don't really know what to make of him right now.  if there's an obvious attack, i'm not seeing it.

The obvious attack is that he's a 37 year old small-town mayor.  He's impressive and would probably be a great president, but South Bend isn't NYC, and even that would be a big leap for anyone who isn't Bloomberg (i.e., also a billionaire business man).   It's a big hurdle to overcome for voters who are accustomed to experience on the national stage or as a governor. 

On 3/23/2019 at 2:36 PM, bad_teammate said:

I'm eager to see how Pete is received later in the primary season when he is talking about reaching out to white working class voters. It's been a third rail since November 2016.

It has but I don't understand why. After the 2016 election there was a little talk of the disenfranchised white working class but that conversation disappeared pretty fast. I get the racist angle but there is a lot more to the situation than pure racism. Historically, racism has been used to redirect class tension and divide the working class. That is pretty much what has been occurring with the blue collar populist movement for the past decade.

These people have really shitty lives and if racism is the only thing they have going for them to make them feel empowered, maybe someone should address why they are disenfranchised.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F250 said:

It has but I don't understand why.

Hillary fans shielding themselves from the simple reality that Bernie would have won. The trauma of Trump's victory has broken many brains.

These people have really shitty lives and if racism is the only thing they have going for them to make them feel empowered, maybe someone should address why they are disenfranchised.

Mayor Pete and Bernie agree.

The mainstream Democratic party wants to continue to woo suburban wine moms and you can't have gross working class people around.

Mayor Pete had 160k Twitter followers on March 10th before his CNN Town Hall.  15 days later he now has 500k followers. 

I think everyone needs to adjust their expectations when considering a candidate's legitimacy. We now live in an age where social media and word of mouth work at lightning speed. It can make or break a candidate in a matter of weeks.

Polls this far out mean jack shit. Plenty of time for anyone to make a move.  Or fall flat on their face. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

15 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I don’t put much stock in polls right now, but this is interesting.

I wouldn't put much stock in Emerson polls, period.  So terrible.   6.2% MOE means Pete could be anywhere between 5 and 17%.  

Just because our government is currently run by septuagenarians does not mean that we should discount the ability of younger Americans to lead our country.

Thomas Jefferson was 33 when he wrote the Declaration of Independence.  James Madison was 36 on the day he walked into the Constitutional Convention.  At age 29, Meriwether Lewis set off to explore the continent.  At age 38, Neil Armstrong walked on the moon.

If elected, Buttigieg would be 39 on the day he takes office, over the hill compared to that group.

We often see our predecessors through dusty portraits made long after their contributions.  Don't let that view cloud your judgement of what is possible.

Edited by Texas Jeff
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Glad the oppo research is already coming out though. Let’s see if it’s just poorly worded tweets or something more sinister.

There's something particularly amusing that this crazy in-depth oppo research candidates employ now is basically just going through your twitter timeline.

I don't think Green New Deal is a meaningless catch phrase, but ok.  Here's a refreshing message from his latest fundraising email:

Last week we said we’d be transparent about our fundraising goals and progress. We set a goal to raise an additional $500,000 before the end of the quarter on March 31st. We (you) hit that goal within 24 hours.

Then we set a second goal and discussed the things your investment would help pay for (offices in South Bend, New Hampshire, and Iowa; staff; paid media, etc). We (you) hit that goal in about 24 hours, too.

So while the initial data is confirming what we already know (Deadlines work! Urgency works!), we’re not going to set a third goal. We refuse to use the tired end-of-quarter messaging that is overplayed across all industries. It's not honest.

• Like 3