Buttigieg 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

He sent Pete 2 resumes and Pete hired both of them.

Yes, that's what happened.

Looks like it was more than 2 resumes. 

From Zuckerberg today: When a number of colleagues who I'd worked with at Facebook or my philanthropic foundation were interested in working there, they asked me or my wife Priscilla to send over their resume. So I did that.

if zuckerberg was able to personally plant 2-3 people high up in pete's campaign, influencing policy direction and basically act like "zuck's guys in pete's ear" then sure, that would rub me the wrong way, and would sure seem like pete is going out of his way to do favors for zuckerberg.

if zuckerberg forwarded resumes from people he knew, hoping they would get mid-level data jobs they're qualified for in pete's campaign, that sounds a lot more like zuckerberg (and his wife) doing favors for these people that wanted to work for pete.

i know it's a shock to hear this, especially after that working families email, but not everything is a deep, dark conspiracy.

• Like 1

Does anyone have an update on the Hamilton show with Chasten contest? I've been donating thousands of dollars a day to get as many chances to win as I can, but I haven't heard if the contest is over. I just took out a second mortgage yesterday so I think I've got a pretty good shot at winning. I mean, can you imagine, HAMILTON and CHASTEN all in one night? Magical! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Does anyone have an update on the Hamilton show with Chasten contest? I've been donating thousands of dollars a day to get as many chances to win as I can, but I haven't heard if the contest is over. I just took out a second mortgage yesterday so I think I've got a pretty good shot at winning. I mean, can you imagine, HAMILTON and CHASTEN all in one night? Magical! 

you should probably go back to your job at big pharma before you go broke.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

i know it's a shock to hear this, especially after that working families email, but not everything is a deep, dark conspiracy.

I don't think it's a deep, dark conspiracy. I think it's much more banal and lame than that. Yet another politician who loves to hug and kiss the 0.01%

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

We don't know that Pete's team leaked that info, and I'm not sure why they would consider it helpful in any way to do so. 

Either Pete’s team intentionally leaked it or his campaign has serious problems and people should get fired. 

Homophobia among black folks, especially older black folks, is still an identifiable problem.  Homophobia in general is still a big problem but it is more acute in the older black populations.  

I’m not sure how Pete releasing this information is helpful but it doesn’t hurt when you’re consistently polling at zero among black folks.

13 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Either Pete’s team intentionally leaked it or his campaign has serious problems and people should get fired. 

Homophobia among black folks, especially older black folks, is still an identifiable problem.  Homophobia in general is still a big problem but it is more acute in the older black populations.  

I’m not sure how Pete releasing this information is helpful but it doesn’t hurt when you’re consistently polling at zero among black folks.

It's also possible that an oppo team got a hold of the report and leaked it. I obviously don't know what happened, but it makes little sense for Buttigieg's campaign to AMPLIFY their struggles with black support so far.  Especially considering the new overall momentum he's built recently. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

i would think being gay is a barrier in general, not just among black people in south carolina.

but i live in west hollywood so i might be a little too close to it.

agreed that there is zero reason for pete's campaign to leak this.  it's not like they're going to shame black people into liking a gay candidate they had issues with.  pete's numbers were (very) slowly climbing among blacks (nowhere to go but up) but this won't help.

16 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

It's also possible that an oppo team got a hold of the report and leaked it. I obviously don't know what happened, but it makes little sense for Buttigieg's campaign to AMPLIFY their struggles with black support so far.  Especially considering the new momentum he's built recently. 

The only thing I can think of is it gives a believable excuse to people still on the fence for why Pete isn’t resonating with black voters.

I haven’t seen any evidence of Pete building momentum other than the spike in his media coverage.  I’ll give you his recent movement in Iowa polling but that was to be expected.  He’s been considered a contender in Iowa since April/May/June when he was polling exactly where he is now.  

Pete is running a very aggressive and different campaign than he was before the money poured in.  It might pay off for him and it could also alienate more voters.  Obviously he has a strategy I’m not privy to. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The only thing I can think of is it gives a believable excuse to people still on the fence for why Pete isn’t resonating with black voters.

The general reaction to this leaked info isn't positive at all for Buttigieg. And hard to believe his campaign would have believed otherwise. 

But it's out there, so they'll have to deal with it whether they wanted to or not. 

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The general reaction to this leaked info isn't positive at all for Buttigieg. And hard to believe his campaign would have believed otherwise. 

Pete needs to stay in the spotlight by any means necessary, that seems to be the play since he started punching left. 

This leaked focus group information is provocative, that plays well for Pete because it keeps his name in the media conversation.  In fact, we’re talking about it right now, which is the whole fucking point.  

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Pete needs to stay in the spotlight by any means necessary, that seems to be the play since he started punching left. 

This leaked focus group information is provocative, that plays well for Pete because it keeps his name in the media conversation.  In fact, we’re talking about it right now, which is the whole fucking point.  

You're quite the character, Hugo. 

16 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

it's not like they're going to shame black people into liking a gay candidate they had issues with.

You could use the info to consolidate support among paternalistic, professional white liberals by heightening the concept of Pete being representative of a marginalized class. That group is way more sympathetic to clean white gays than blacks, who are almost entirely invisible to them.

Not that I think that's what's happening.

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

You could use the info to consolidate support among paternalistic, professional white liberals by heightening the concept of Pete being representative of a marginalized class. That group is way more sympathetic to clean white gays than blacks, who are almost entirely invisible to them.

Thanks for offering up what you don't think is happening. Lol. 

10 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

i'm not sure i follow.

you're saying that presenting the idea that pete represents a marginalized class (gays), that professional white liberals will like him...more than they like black people?  or are you saying that professional white liberals like clean white gays more than black people do?

not sure how pointing out that people don't like him (or don't want to vote for him) helps in any way.  i don't see why professional white liberals would start liking pete more once they found out that black people didn't like him (if that's what you're saying).

there have been a lot of posts (by you and others) that seem to imply that voters should base who they like on who else likes them (or doesn't like them).  i guess that's a thing?  doesn't make much sense to me.

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

you're saying that presenting the idea that pete represents a marginalized class (gays), that professional white liberals will like him...more than they like black people?  or are you saying that professional white liberals like clean white gays more than black people do?

The second because of the first. White identity politics, basically. It's a common thing to stop trying to win a weakness and just lean into a strength.

(For instance, I love Bernie because I spend most of my time getting in women's/POC's faces and waving my finger and shouting at them.)

not sure how pointing out that people don't like him (or don't want to vote for him) helps in any way.  i don't see why professional white liberals would start liking pete more once they found out that black people didn't like him (if that's what you're saying).

They already like him, so it might just be about consolidating and solidifying their support.

Also, I have no idea who leaked or why. I'm just thinking aloud about why the Pete camp might do it.

there have been a lot of posts (by you and others) that seem to imply that voters should base who they like on who else likes them (or doesn't like them).  i guess that's a thing?  doesn't make much sense to me.

I think we should choose the candidates who (1) have a policy platform that most closely conforms to our own beliefs and (2) has a demonstrated ability/plan to enact those policies.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Since when do black people not like gay people? 

You serious Clark?

I mean..... come on. This isn’t a hard one.

Black community = religious = no likey the gays

Edited by Dnaguy

Your homosexuality is a barrier?  Or how you handled a black dude being murdered by the police in the town you were Mayor of and then took a donation from another lawyer that tried to block police footage of another black kid being killed?  

"Leak that it is the gay thing....that way people won't talk about the other stuff"

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Since when do black people not like gay people? 

well, in all honesty...my spouse and extended inlaw family are all POC and they have been saying this for months. every time there's been something on the news about how low his support is among that constituency, my husband has said "i'm telling you, black folks, especially church black folks, don't like that he's gay." 

i couldn't say whether that's accurate or not.

12 minutes ago, mchookem said:

well, in all honesty...my spouse and extended inlaw family are all POC and they have been saying this for months. every time there's been something on the news about how low his support is among that constituency, my husband has said "i'm telling you, black folks, especially church black folks, don't like that he's gay." 

Your husband sound smart.

Example 1 (of many): Houston Anti-Discrimination Ordinance.

34 minutes ago, mchookem said:

As a gay, black, church attending 16 year old Korean boy, I agree.