Rib Roast

Johnny Sack

Yep, easy.  Just be ready to pull it once it gets to a relatively low internal temperature (maybe 130-135).  No sense ruining a perfectly good rib roast.  I've only done a basic salt & pepper rub, but I suppose you could embed a bunch of garlic slices for extra oomph.

• Like 1

Roast it on the BGE; perfect blend of roasting and smoking, and an underrated use of the BGE IMO.

Prep the roast as you like (I like a simple rub of Bolner’s Uncle Chris’ Gourmet Steak Seasoning).  Get your fire going.  I like lump plus dry hickory chunks for flavor.  Set up for indirect cooking.  Close dome and get your egg up to 550 or so.  Open dome, put the roast on, close dome.  After a minute or two for the pit to get back to ~550, close the vents to kill the fire.  The roast will sear as temp drops to 350, at which point you crack open the vents and keep the temp at 350 until internal reaches 120 (should take 1.5-2.0 hrs).  Remove the roast, tent it very loosely, and rest it for 30 minutes before slicing.  Carryover will take the roast to medium rare.

Pro tip:  smoked au ju.  Place an aluminum pan, filled with 1-2 cans beef broth (or chicken stock if you prefer a less ‘tinny’ taste) and 32oz. water, between the platesetter and grill to catch drippings from the roast.  After cooking and while the roast rests, strain the liquid and transfer it to a pot on the stove and reduce.  Serve in a ramekin for dipping at dinner. Takes the roast to 11.

Good luck, and looking forward to the pics.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, solamente73 said:

Roast it on the BGE; perfect blend of roasting and smoking, and an underrated use of the BGE IMO.

Prep the roast as you like (I like a simple rub of Bolner’s Uncle Chris’ Gourmet Steak Seasoning).  Get your fire going.  I like lump plus dry hickory chunks for flavor.  Set up for indirect cooking.  Close dome and get your egg up to 550 or so.  Open dome, put the roast on, close dome.  After a minute or two for the pit to get back to ~550, close the vents to kill the fire.  The roast will sear as temp drops to 350, at which point you crack open the vents and keep the temp at 350 until internal reaches 120 (should take 1.5-2.0 hrs).  Remove the roast, tent it very loosely, and rest it for 30 minutes before slicing.  Carryover will take the roast to medium rare.

Pro tip:  smoked au ju.  Place an aluminum pan, filled with 1-2 cans beef broth (or chicken stock if you prefer a less ‘tinny’ taste) and 32oz. water, between the platesetter and grill to catch drippings from the roast.  After cooking and while the roast rests, strain the liquid and transfer it to a pot on the stove and reduce.  Serve in a ramekin for dipping at dinner. Takes the roast to 11.

Good luck, and looking forward to the pics.

Thanks sir.  

Check out a Christmas thread in this forum, you'll see smoked rib roasts and methods galore. I like the Serious Eats method myself. Low and slow on the pit and then blast it right before you're ready to eat. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/12/perfect-prime-rib-beef-recipe.html
This was bone in prime, not choice, but here is my X-mas results using the serious eats method.
17c2de541d50aea0aebc97104cdf6aab.jpg
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

They've done tests on the amount of water absorbed by the wood. The wood hardly absorbs anything. You can skip it. If you want wood flavor, add more wood. If you want moisture and more moderate temperatures, add a water pan.

Well shit.  Didn’t know that.  How can I add wood to my egg with the heat shield in place?

17 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

You don't need to add wood after you start it up. Just mix some in when you dump the lump in. 

That’s what I do.  Smoke stops after a few hours.  Guess it doesn’t matter.  I’m new to the egg.  Used to using a stick burner.  

45 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

That’s what I do.  Smoke stops after a few hours.  Guess it doesn’t matter.  I’m new to the egg.  Used to using a stick burner.  

The meat only takes so much smoke. After the first few hours, hitting it with smoke is kind of irrelevant. I've only smoked on my primo once but that's how I've always done it, on a WSM, or in my stick burner. Charcoal + chunks. If I have to reload, charcoal only.