[Surly Official Firing Squad] Get David Pierce The Fuck Outta Here

Yama Yak Yachtzi

2 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

I agree with your content and meaning.  Time and the kids have indeed changed.  I like our professional attitude also, but that in itself isn't going to Omaha.  I'm not trying to troll or start chit, because somewhere there is a solution.  I hope we find it quickly. 

LSU (according to Wiki) has 7 titles in a span of 33 years.   In first 33 years we managed 3, although the 4th does come along in '83.  We've managed 6 in 75 years.  Dad said "in matters of style go with the flow.  In matters of principle stand like a rock".   We may need to go with the flow if we want titles.  Titles sell TV time and merch, the things kids see the most.  That's how we're get and keep talent.

We used to be the most extreme program culture-wise, but we were still aligned with baseball overall for the most part.  Now in 2024, we're actually different than baseball culture as a whole...not because we changed, but because everyone else did.

I don't think we need to change with them and "go with the flow", as long as we can compete in the other areas (facilities, stadium, etc., etc., etc.).  If we're NOT on par with the major SEC programs in those areas AND we retain the old school "it's not about you, it's about the team/program, so cut your hair, shave your face, and lose the gold chains" culture, then we'll keep falling behind.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see us maintain Texas Baseball as it was and still is, and make up for it by having the best of everything else.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hondo said:

We used to be the most extreme program culture-wise, but we were still aligned with baseball overall for the most part.  Now in 2024, we're actually different than baseball culture as a whole...not because we changed, but because everyone else did.

I don't think we need to change with them and "go with the flow", as long as we can compete in the other areas (facilities, stadium, etc., etc., etc.).  If we're NOT on par with the major SEC programs in those areas AND we retain the old school "it's not about you, it's about the team/program, so cut your hair, shave your face, and lose the gold chains" culture, then we'll keep falling behind.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see us maintain Texas Baseball as it was and still is, and make up for it by having the best of everything else.

See moving forward I feel like we are middle of the pack in facilities in the SEC as far as baseball goes...

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

See moving forward I feel like we are middle of the pack in facilities in the SEC as far as baseball goes...

That’s probably fair. To me the bigger issue seems to be NIL but I’ve been told by those who know more that it’s not a problem. 

Edited by hobbes2702

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Correct.  That's got to change.  Even more so if we retain the old school culture (which I want us to do).

• Hook 'Em 2

The "long hair, beards, and chains" isn't about the long hair, beards, or the chains.  It's about "what are you focused on, yourself and all the peripheral bullshit, or the team, the game of baseball, and the goal of winning the last game of the season?"  It's about cutting out distractions.  It's about putting everyone on the same page so there are no individuals or competing interests, only a single cohesive unit pushing toward the same goal.*

It's no different in the military and/or other paramilitary organizations.  You don't get to be an individual until you get to the top.  And even then, nobody's focused ON being an individual; they just aren't as focused on NOT being an individual.  <--- There is a huge difference between those two things.  .  And when you're at the bottom or in the middle, that decision/distinction is made for you so you can worry about/focus on other things.

*In the case of Texas Baseball, it's also probably a little bit about representing the University of Texas at Austin.  Texas Longhorns represent the University of Texas.  UT isn't some podunk, half-ass school.  It's a top tier university, nationally and globally, and one of the top public universities in the country.  There's more to UT than sportsball.  Nobody even thinks about LSU or Mississippi State as universities, only as athletic programs.  They are the Tigers/Bulldogs and nothing else.  

• Hook 'Em 1

So if NIL isn’t the problem the way it’s run is, we aren’t filling our gaps with the top talent like Sark is doing. It’s not gold chains, it’s the coach, recruiting, the approach to NIL and frankly it is probably not enough in sheer dollars. 

facilities need a major upgrade, our best legacy mlb pitchers need to make this the premier pitching facility in the off season and step up the Texas hitting program to make it a place alumni come back in the off season too. 

I hate LSU baseball, everything about it. I don’t want our players looking like coonass confederacy flag waiving dumbasses. But I don’t care if the kids have that mushroom hair look or some length, my son has that mushroom hair look I think it’s dumb but whatever. 

but Texas baseball ain’t winning shit in the sec with DP, names on the back and a relaxed dress and appearance code. That’s NOT our problem. 

So if the admin wants to hold to old school look fine, we can rake in championships if we take baseball seriously and stop assuming “we’re Texas” is enough. 

Bottom line is college baseball went ultra competitive and we really didn’t change. They all caught up to Texas and Texas hasn’t done much of anything. NIL yes but not well enough, facilities upgrades but let’s face it we were behind and we probably still are.  Get with the program and the old school approach to team first will still work, no doubt in my mind.

1 minute ago, troph said:

They all caught up to Texas and Texas hasn’t done much of anything.

Yep.  "We're Texas" was good enough until everyone else caught up.

Get with the program and the old school approach to team first will still work, no doubt in my mind.

Yep, that's been my point - it's conditional on getting the rest of our house in order.  It won't stand alone anymore like it used to.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Hondo said:

Yep.  "We're Texas" was good enough until everyone else caught up.

Yep, that's been my point - it's conditional on getting the rest of our house in order.  It won't stand alone anymore like it used to.

And simply letting kids have more individual style ain’t winning shit. 

CDC is a smart mother fucker. He’s going to right the ship, frankly I hope we just rip it off this year and get on with it. 

we get our house in order it’s LSU and Texas at the top of the SEC for a long time. The mystique of Texas will return. This isn’t rocket science but it isn’t as easy as printing names on their jersey and letting them flash bling. 

DP needs to go and Longhorn nation especially admin and mlb alumni need to step up. 

Edited by troph

And simply letting kids have more individual style ain’t winning shit. 

CDC is a smart mother fucker. He’s going to right the ship, frankly I hope we just rip it off this year and get on with it. 

we get our house in order it’s LSU and Texas at the top of the SEC for a long time. The mystique of Texas will return. This isn’t rocket science but it isn’t as easy as printing names on their jersey and letting them flash bling. 

I think it’s a little premature to declare that DP can’t get it done as we list off all the other problems with the program. 
That sounds like he’s doing pretty well considering how far behind we seem to be in facilities, NIL, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

I think it’s a little premature to declare that DP can’t get it done as we list off all the other problems with the program. 
That sounds like he’s doing pretty well considering how far behind we seem to be in facilities, NIL, etc.

I think his over performance at year end is alluring. But it’s fools gold.

I think his management of NIL and the staff is extremely suspect. He shouldn’t coach pitchers. He’s always got gaps in the roster. I’ve lost faith. I think his ceiling is top 10-15 over performing at the end. We need top 5 and over performing at the end.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

We’re not behind in NIL. Texas is easily a top-five baseball program in terms of NIL. @closetojumping has already stated this in multiple occasions. The allocation of NIL might be poor, but the aggregate number is not. What @trophsaid above is likely the right call.

Edited by MuellerHorn

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

We’re not behind in NIL. Texas is easily a top-five baseball program in NIL. @closetojumping has already stated this in multiple occasions. The allocation of NIL might be poor, but the aggregate number is not. 

I get it. I’ve heard all of it. But we are still failing in some way on that front so we need to get something right. It’s fine to say we are top 5 in aggregate but we are losing out on big players every single season. Top 5 in aggregate doesn’t mean anything if we can’t land game changers. 

Edited by hobbes2702

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

I get it. I’ve heard all of it. But we are still failing in some way on that front so we need to get something right. It’s fine to say we are top 5 in aggregate but we are losing out on big players every single season. 

Yeah, I think it’s a bad allocation, i.e., poor strategy and execution. 

Just now, troph said:

We were the premier pitching program not that long ago. We ain’t shit now. that’s on DP. He’s got to go. 

We haven’t been the premier pitching program, outside of a year or two here and there, since like pre 2010.

1 minute ago, MuellerHorn said:

Yeah, I think it’s a bad allocation, i.e., poor strategy and execution. 

And who is ultimately responsible for that? Like is DP the guy making all those calls? I doubt it but I’ve been wrong before

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

We haven’t been the premier pitching program, outside of a year or two here and there, since like pre 2010.

And who is ultimately responsible for that? Like is DP the guy making all those calls? I doubt it but I’ve been wrong before

I mean, the head coach is ultimately responsible for the entire program. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, MuellerHorn said:

I mean, the head coach is ultimately responsible for the entire program. 

No shit. But I can’t imagine DP is deciding $ allocations by himself without any involvement from the athletic department 

Now we’re on to something. 

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

No shit. But I can’t imagine DP is deciding $ allocations by himself without any involvement from the athletic department 

I highly doubt anyone but DP manages the roster. 

Posted (edited)

Why would others in the AD, outside of the baseball program, manage NIL allocation? They don’t tell Pierce who to put on scholarship.

I’m sure Pierce doesn’t do it all himself and his staff assists, but that’s still on DP to manage and oversee. 

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Now we’re on to something. 

I highly doubt anyone but DP manages the roster. 

Roster management and NIL allocation are tied to each other but aren’t the same thing. Again I could def be wrong but does anyone actually know? 

Why would others in the AD, outside of the baseball program, manage NIL allocation. They don’t tell Pierce who to put on scholarship. 

I’m pretty sure Marucci was plenty involved in the Skenes NIL allocation at LSU. 

Posted (edited)

I’m pretty sure Marucci was plenty involved in the Skenes NIL allocation at LSU. 

Yeah, in terms of funding. Thats not the AD managing NIL. That’s a coach seeking/taking funds. 

Edited by MuellerHorn

Roster management and NIL allocation are tied to each other but aren’t the same thing. Again I could def be wrong but does anyone actually know? 

They are different but closely related. I can’t imagine a HC that would tolerate sharing that ultimate decision making responsibility though. I can’t imagine DP isn’t the bottom line decision maker in both. 

Having to ask for money is not truly allocation.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, in terms of funding. 

Thats my point. I’m asking if we think DP is saying “nope don’t spend that much on that guy.” Is DP the guy with the plan to spread our NIL around to all players? Or is that a directive from the AD?

Im not arguing with you, just trying to get a better understanding.

Thats my point. I’m asking if we think DP is saying “nope don’t spend that much on that guy.” Is DP the guy with the plan to spread our NIL around to all players? Or is that a directive from the AD?

Yeah, I’m not trying to start a fight. 

At the end of the day, if we think Texas is a top-10 baseball program, it should have a top-10 head coach. That’s not Pierce. If Texas doesn’t make the tournament, I’ll be curious to see if CDC goes elsewhere - especially since he hasn’t made a hire in the sport yet at Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My understanding, given what I know about NIL and other sports, is that the head coach ultimately oversees the allocation of program-related NIL. Corporate NIL is another story. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Yeah, I’m not trying to start a fight. 

At the end of the day, if we think Texas is a top-10 baseball program, it should have a top-10 head coach. That’s not Pierce. If Texas doesn’t make the tournament, I’ll be curious to see if CDC goes elsewhere - especially since he hasn’t made a hire in the sport yet at Texas. 

I agree with you but I would challenge anyone to name 10 coaches that are “better”. You gotta have skins on the wall.

I can’t imagine DP isn’t 100% responsible for roster management including allocation of known NIL dollars and picking and choosing players and how much they get. That doesn’t mean he’s got access to more carte Blanche.  if he needs $50k more or $100k more he’s gotta ask for it. I’m pretty sure we don’t have that guy that will bump us up year in and year out for a special talent. We are top five but we don’t have a Marucci. I’m pretty sure closetojumping has all but confirmed that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, troph said:

I can’t imagine DP isn’t 100% responsible for roster management including allocation of known NIL dollars and picking and choosing players and how much they get. That doesn’t mean he’s got access to more carte Blanche.  if he needs $50k more or $100k more he’s gotta ask for it. I’m pretty sure we don’t have that guy that will bump us up year in and year out for a special talent. We are top five but we don’t have a Marucci. I’m pretty sure closetojumping has all but confirmed that. 

What’s the rest of the top 5? 
LSU obviously. Are we ahead of Aggy? Pig? What about Florida? 

40 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I get it. I’ve heard all of it. But we are still failing in some way on that front so we need to get something right. It’s fine to say we are top 5 in aggregate but we are losing out on big players every single season. Top 5 in aggregate doesn’t mean anything if we can’t land game changers. 

coaches have to recruit still....Pierce personality doesn't recruit portal well IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

I agree with you but I would challenge anyone to name 10 coaches that are “better”. You gotta have skins on the wall.

So our facilities are mediocre, our conference is mediocre.

Just 3 years ago, we lost a 2 of 3 series to the national champs. Losing by 1 twice. Went to the CWS the year after then lost in an attempt last year on a ball lost in the sun. All following a team that lost the season to Covid with a dude who has the most impact at the MLB level since what Huston Street and two other high draft picks.

Putting himself at pitching coach seems to be an issue, but the dude has a career saying he does have a clue.

There aren’t 10 with clearly better resumes at this point. I’d wager someone like Sark is the best solution to manage the roster and the landscape. At the same, he had a final 4 shot and missed as well.

2 hours ago, Hondo said:

The "long hair, beards, and chains" isn't about the long hair, beards, or the chains.  It's about "what are you focused on, yourself and all the peripheral bullshit, or the team, the game of baseball, and the goal of winning the last game of the season?"  It's about cutting out distractions.  It's about putting everyone on the same page so there are no individuals or competing interests, only a single cohesive unit pushing toward the same goal.*

It's no different in the military and/or other paramilitary organizations.  You don't get to be an individual until you get to the top.  And even then, nobody's focused ON being an individual; they just aren't as focused on NOT being an individual.  <--- There is a huge difference between those two things.  .  And when you're at the bottom or in the middle, that decision/distinction is made for you so you can worry about/focus on other things.

*In the case of Texas Baseball, it's also probably a little bit about representing the University of Texas at Austin.  Texas Longhorns represent the University of Texas.  UT isn't some podunk, half-ass school.  It's a top tier university, nationally and globally, and one of the top public universities in the country.  There's more to UT than sportsball.  Nobody even thinks about LSU or Mississippi State as universities, only as athletic programs.  They are the Tigers/Bulldogs and nothing else.  

maybe we could just force everyone to have long hair, beards and chainz?

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yeah, and you’re wrong here. You’re equivocating for a guy in year 6 or 7 at a giant of a program who isn’t getting it done. 

No NIL is getting into the program without Pierce’s direction. What an ignorant fucking argument to assert otherwise. Just fucking dumb. 

As to not getting guys, two cycles ago, which we fucking talked about at the time, LSU was out in front of everybody. The last cycle and the next cycles? It’s coming down to where guys want to go. This may surprise you guys that feel the need to defend a coach, whoever the coach, because he’s the coach, but transfers aren’t stupid. They’re going to programs where they think they’ll be highlighted while playing for coaches that they like. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, and you’re wrong here. You’re equivocating for a guy in year 6 or 7 at a giant of a program who isn’t getting it done. 

No NIL is getting into the program without Pierce’s direction. What an ignorant fucking argument to assert otherwise. Just fucking dumb. 

As to not getting guys, two cycles ago, which we fucking talked about at the time, LSU was out in front of everybody. The last cycle and the next cycles? It’s coming down to where guys want to go. This may surprise you guys that feel the need to defend a coach, whoever the coach, because he’s the coach, but transfers aren’t stupid. They’re going to programs where they think they’ll be highlighted while playing for coaches that they like. 

Yea I’m definitely the guy who feels the need to defend the coach just because. We are behind in facilities, sounds like we are only behind because of DP in NIL. 
I simply was asking how those decisions are made. If he is solely responsible for the NIL decisions then we absolutely need to evaluate somethings because it’s not working for whatever reason. 
I’ve never argued his recruiting isnt lacking. It has been.
I’ve only ever thought it was strange to ignore the results we have in favor of some coach who hasn’t proven anything. At the end of the day we’ve been competing like a top 10 program since he’s been here. Probably better than that.

Edited by hobbes2702

46 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea I’m definitely the guy who feels the need to defend the coach just because..

Well you have been. And your non stop sunshine honestly pisses me off some

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Well you have been. And your non stop sunshine honestly pisses me off some

Fuck outta here. I was openly against his hiring and on the side of firing him until the 3rd Omaha trip. Results matter. This season sucks so far but he’s not leaving mid season anyway so I’ll see what happens before calling for his head. I’ve called for him to be fired early in the season only to look like a fool multiple times.

Fuck outta here. I was openly against his hiring and on the side of firing him until the 3rd Omaha trip. Results matter. This season sucks so far but he’s not leaving mid season anyway so I’ll see what happens before calling for his head. I’ve called for him to be fired early in the season only to look like a fool multiple times.

Oh Jesus Christ, by now you should be able to tell when I’m joking. Pierce and I apparently like making you look like a fool. 

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea I’m definitely the guy who feels the need to defend the coach just because. We are behind in facilities, sounds like we are only behind because of DP in NIL. 
I simply was asking how those decisions are made. If he is solely responsible for the NIL decisions then we absolutely need to evaluate somethings because it’s not working for whatever reason. 
I’ve never argued his recruiting isnt lacking. It has been.
I’ve only ever thought it was strange to ignore the results we have in favor of some coach who hasn’t proven anything. At the end of the day we’ve been competing like a top 10 program since he’s been here. Probably better than that.

I think we are competitive top 10-15 and stretch to 6-8 in some years at the end of the season. I think we’ve seen the best DP can do, it’s not bad, it’s just not good enough. 

• Hook 'Em 3

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] Get David Pierce The Fuck Outta Here