Kenny Vaccaro's new ink

Goo Punch

When he was still in school, Vaccaro got in a fight (threw a basketball at the head of) during a basketball game with some dude whose claim to fame was being a Spanish or latin dancer.  Someone found a photo of him where he was standing with this weird dancer's posture with his chest bowed out.  Some evil genius decided that he looked like the upper half of a centaur and photoshopped accordingly.

Stuff of legends.

• Like 1

Granted, this is a couple of steps up from "No Ragrets," but this is what irritates me about so many tattoos.  So much goofy-ass, profound-but-really-not symbolism embodied in massive chunks of mediocre art (the technical execution here is admirable, but the subject matter kind of makes that irrelevant). Also the fact that I think Vaccaro is a goofball tends to color my thinking.

From my earliest days drawing and writing, I deeply appreciated the ability to erase.  I guess that defines me and why I will never quite get most tattoos.  That and the fact that I'm more autistic than artistic. 

I'd like to sit down with Thuj or Swayze (a couple of dudes whose talents and intellects I respect) and hear about their tats.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Granted, this is a couple of steps up from "No Ragrets," but this is what irritates me about so many tattoos.  So much goofy-ass, profound-but-really-not symbolism embodied in massive chunks of mediocre art (the technical execution here is admirable, but the subject matter kind of makes that irrelevant).

Aesthetics talk not going away.

Granted, this is a couple of steps up from "No Ragrets," but this is what irritates me about so many tattoos.  So much goofy-ass, profound-but-really-not symbolism embodied in massive chunks of mediocre art (the technical execution here is admirable, but the subject matter kind of makes that irrelevant). Also the fact that I think Vaccaro is a goofball tends to color my thinking.

From my earliest days drawing and writing, I deeply appreciated the ability to erase.  I guess that defines me and why I will never quite get most tattoos.  That and the fact that I'm more autistic than artistic. 
I'd like to sit down with Thuj or Swayze (a couple of dudes whose talents and intellects I respect) and hear about their tats.

Well damn, I appreciate it man. Really.

Some of mine don’t have much meaning, or perhaps their meanings are generic/broad. Others are deeper and obviously my two daughter’s names are easily explained. But, I can’t really say what drove me or drives me to get tattoos. It is simply something I enjoy. What I have always found amusing is when someone says “oh, I bet those will look terrible when you are 75.” Guess what, we are all going to look pretty rough at 75 and I believe one of the great things about making it to that age is not giving a shit what anyone thinks.
  • Like 1

/tattootalk

I have a pretty shitty longhorn tattoo, but that's it.  I have a concept in mind for something far more meaningful but finding the right artist to execute it seems daunting. 

My wife has an absolutely beautiful tattoo on her upper arm that is pretty much an art deco styled "Libra" (woman with the scales of justice).  It's art.  She gets constant comments about it.  Unfortunately, we lost track of the gal who did it -- she had a shop down near Black Sheep Lodge on South Lamar but we have no idea where she went since then.  She could make my idea come to life.  I'll probably just go find some dude in a trailer with sketchy hygenic practices.

34 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Well damn, I appreciate it man. Really.

Some of mine don’t have much meaning, or perhaps their meanings are generic/broad. Others are deeper and obviously my two daughter’s names are easily explained. But, I can’t really say what drove me or drives me to get tattoos. It is simply something I enjoy. What I have always found amusing is when someone says “oh, I bet those will look terrible when you are 75.” Guess what, we are all going to look pretty rough at 75 and I believe one of the great things about making it to that age is not giving a shit what anyone thinks.

I almost added that I think I get tats that don't really have any deeper meaning more than these sort of pseudo-Tolkien/GRRM/biblical great-mytho-crypto cthulhu Frazetta things.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I got one tattoo while at UT.  Paid $5 at the little tattoo shop in front of Papagayo in Nuevo Laredo.  Drunk as could be on a full bottle of tequila and started on a bottle of mezcal. Drew what I wanted in the dirt and was obliged by the proprietor.  

My big assed and mean as hell old man spent 20+ in Marine Corps and did 3 tours in Viet Nam.  Marines are notorious for tattoos.  He never got one because he found them disgusting and defiling.  

He saw it one day and I looked back at him, staring into the face of death and my ultimate end.  He took mercy on my dumbass for once.