Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/05/open-post-monday-may-14th/

– The Longhorns hosted rising 2020 Offensive Tackle, Smart Chibuzo, for an unofficial visit this weekend.

Chibuzo is a 6’5″ 310 lb. 2020 Offensive Tackle out of Missouri City (TX) Hightower High School. He currently holds offers from Nebraska and Grambling State and he is hearing a lot from OU, Colorado, Texas and a couple others.

I was able to briefly catch up with Smart to get his thoughts on the visit and he said “UT WAS GREAT”. He went on to say “I love the facilities and I would like the opportunity to continue to be recruited by the staff which will hopefully lead to an offer in the future.”

Smart had glowing reviews of Coach Herb Hand as well, saying “The offensive line coach, Coach Hand, is a great man, they showed me a good time over at UT.”

When I asked him what was the one thing that really stood out for him while on his visit, he said “The field house. It had a study hall for the players and personal tutors that help you with your grades and your work before you turn them in, so you are automatically set to hand in some good work if you use it.” He then said “The field house includes the weight room too and that’s amazing because you don’t have to walk a mile to go study after a workout, you can just go upstairs and, ‘boom’, handle your business.”

Smart Chibuzo will be one to keep an eye on for the 2020 offensive line class. – (Charlie)

– The Longhorns also hosted rising 2020 Offensive Guard, Akinola Ogunbiyi, for an unofficial visit this weekend.

Ogunbiyi is a 6’4″ 310 lb. 2020 Offensive Guard out of Sugar Land (TX) Kempner High School. He currently holds an offer from Texas A&M and he is hearing a lot from Baylor, Georgia, OU, and Ohio State to name a few.

I caught up with Akinola and was able to get a few quick take-aways from his time in Austin. He said “The trip was amazing, I really enjoyed it.” He continued with “It was great and Coach Herb Hand is a great guy and I feel like he can make me a better man, and a better player.”

I asked him if a return visit could happen down the road and he said “It’s a place that I would love to be at and I feel like I might have to visit a few more times. It’s just a beautiful place.”

As for what stood out to him the most on his trip, he said “The facility itself. It was one of the best I’ve ever seen.”

Akinola also let me know that Hand will be down to visit him at his high school practice either next week or the week after that.

I will continue to keep in touch with him and keep you all updated as both UT and Akinola have mutual interest, and this will also be an offensive lineman to keep an eye on for the 2020 class. – (Charlie)

IT

WEEKEND OL VISTORS

When Texas OL coach Herb Hand isn’t posting lyrics from 2Pac’s “Dear Mama” to his momma on Mother’s Day, he’s scouring the state for offensive linemen known and under-the-radar.

He hosted a trio of underclassmen this weekend. Kempner, Hightower, and Bellaire Episcopal were represented.

On Smart Chibuzo, the 6-foot-5, 310-pounder from Hightower (Missouri City) is built like a brick sh*thouse. He holds two offers - Nebraska and Grambling State. There will be more. About that Texas visit....

“It was just amazing. The facilities where amazing, the campus is huge and the coaches hold each player to a high standard, the locker room was beautiful, coach Herb Hand is a great coach and he treat players great. Those were some things that stood out to me.”

Despite two offers, plenty are calling. “OU, TCU, Baylor, Texas A&M show love,” Smart said. “Texas and Colorado show the most.”

On Akinola Ogunbiyi, the 6-foot-4, 310-pounder from Kempner made a return trip to Austin after his spring game visit. The rising 2020 offensive lineman holds one offer; Texas A&M. Like Chibuzo, that'll change in due time. About that Texas visit...

“Just a really great time. It was great being with coach herb, he is a great guy and I really feel like he can make me a better man and player. (Texas) is a place that I would love to be at. I feel like I might have to visit a few more times just because it's a beautiful place.”

What stands out to Austin? “The BBQ for sure."

PRINCE DORBAH

Texas offered the Highland Park prospect last week. They joined the fray early. The 6-foot-4, 220-pound defensive end was a stalwart for the Scots 5A state championship run. He tallied 84 tackles, 22 TFLs, and 10 sacks in his sophomore season. With only five offers, his recruiting process is just now beginning.

“Well as you know, I’m just now joining the recruiting process, and it’s been a fun spring because I’ve seen a lot of coaches and talked to a lot of coaches. So for me, I’m just taking it one step at a time and trying to get better and bigger so more offers can come.”

He's very diplomatic at this juncture with his favorite schools. I, honestly, don't think he favors one over the others.

“All the school stand out to me right now. My goal is to get a college education. I’m just happy football is able to help with that.”

He plans on seeing colleges this summer, including Texas.

“One thing that stood out to me it that it’s in my state," Dorbah said of his UT offer. "So I’m close to my family. Also, the locker room is really sick (in a good way) and my position coach - Oscar Giles - is a great person and he cares about me off the field more than on the field.”

It's the start of a beautiful relationship for the best prospect at Highland Park since Matt Stafford. If he doesn't chase a girl to Georgia, the Longhorns have a good shot.

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Omari is about to get a serious bucket full of replies from the tardier parts of the fanbase until he edits "Texas University"

He's from Memphis, so he knows UT to be Tennessee (the less relevant one). His nickname is "Big O". Maybe he's a ladies man.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I think our best hope with Young is that USC prioritizes DJ U-whatever-his-last-name-is. I think Hornsby is going to get too much attention to be a QB2 for us in 2020 (unless he's a legacy or something).

I believe Ukelele is the accepted nickname

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

This is new info - 247 doesn't have anything on him getting a UT offer. Dixon is Keaontay Ingram's little brother:

https://247sports.com/Player/Kelvontay-Dixon-46041043

Yep, 247 seems to miss a few every cycle (probably because offers are self-reported). Wells interviewed him back in February, said we're recruiting him at running back and cornerback.

Edited by Machinator

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Yep, 247 seems to miss a few every cycle (probably because offers are self-reported). Wells interviewed him back in February, said we're recruiting him at running back and cornerback.

But are we actually recruiting him now that his brother has signed?

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Bryce Young and Malik Hornsby for 2020. Shut it down.

A fan can dream, right?

Had to get greedy, didn't you?  See what you did?!?!

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Demetric Warren CB'd Bryce Young to OU.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

They have been. He visited them during the same trip he visited us this last time.  I think @golfclap or someone has said Warren's an OU homer and has ties to OU, so I wouldn't worry about it.  

Yep. Fuck that guy. 

For instance ....

https://m.soundcloud.com/brandon-drumm/the-king-barry-switzer-ol-grad-transfer-calvin-anderson-and-ua-selector-demetric-warren

This fucking guy?! 

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCE3qXb2OEBcaHUj4u3c_txg

yeah. Fuck that assflute. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

It's highly unlikely, but what happens in the event Hornsby realizes that his last name is a perfect fit to play at Texas and then decides to commit?

Dude just needs to pull a RoJo and snatch a hot mic

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/05/open-post-weekend-may-18th-20th/

– On Wednesday, the Longhorns extended an offer to Elite 2020 Running Back, Ashaad Clayton out of New Orleans (LA), Warren Easton High School

Clayton is a 6′ 185 lb running back who holds offers from a ton of major programs, including his home state LSU Tigers.

Texas currently is in good position for several 2020 backs such as Zach Evans and Kendall Milton, as well as having the attention of Oklahoma commit Jase McClellan to a certain degree. With that being said, this offer tells me that Coach Drayton views Clayton as a prospect who was too good to not throw his hat in the ring for.

I caught up with Clayton and exchanged a few messages. He told me that Drayton delivered the offer in person. I asked him if there was a chance for a visit to Austin in the near future, and he said “once I get everything situated, I might plan on taking a trip up there”.

We will keep an eye on his recruitment going forward and keep you updated. – (Charlie)

– Texas also extended an offer to 2020 Offensive Tackle, Omari Thomas out of Memphis (TN), Briarcrest Christian High School on Wednesday.

Thomas is a 6’5″ 285 lb rising junior at Briarcrest Christian and he already holds north of 20 offers from the top programs around the country, and he can now add the Longhorns to that list.

Omari told me that Coach Hand went by his school and spoke to his head coach at Briarcrest, Brian Stewart. Stewart let Thomas know later in the day that the Longhorns had extended an offer.

Thomas is one of those kids that UT will have to grind for as he holds so many offers from major programs which are in close proximity to him. He is a kid that Texas will try to get on campus and make some magic happen. As always, I never write off the Texas staff if they are able to get an out of state kid to come in for a visit.

As of right now, he does in fact seem set on visiting Austin as he told me “I will most definitely visit both UT and OU”.

I will continue to remain in touch with Thomas and keep you updated. – (Charlie)

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

His hudl page didn't have any highlights do you have a link to some film?

He used to have some King footage out there... (Watched it back when he and Snow were first breaking out)  some of it is used here in his twitter bio video ...  let me see if I can find that one and you can check a few of these highlights 

Edited by golfclap

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Order of preference between Washington, Snow, and Thompson?

Don't forget McGlothern, it sounds like Naivar and Washington are liking him at S over CB. At this point, I'd take any and all of those 4 and worry about numbers and spots after the fact. I love Thompson. A lot. I think we'll see Texas look at Dixon as a CB for that class which can also give them some flexibility with McGlothern as a CB or S, etc ...  

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

He used to have some King footage out there... (Watched it back when he and Snow were first breaking out)  some of it is used here in his twitter bio video ...  let me see if I can find that one and you can check a few of these highlights 

bad mama jama

Perroni --  I'm not ready to put a CB for anywhere on 2020 QB Malik Hornsby

But, from talking to a few people, he is very high on Texas. The Longhorns offered yesterday. Even when I had talked to him last week after the A&M offer, he told me he talked to Coach Beck there a lot.

I don't think he's going to make a decision too soon and, as you've seen with this staff, early leanings don't always matter. But, I just wanted to pass along what I've gotten from a few folks.