Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

It's an EJ pick for a 2020 kid, don't get too excited about it.

TFB: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/06/open-post-weekend-june-1st-3rd/

– Texas extended an offer to Elite 2020 DT Jaquelin Roy out of Baton Rouge (LA) University Lab.

Roy is a 6’3″ 325 lb rising junior who currently holds offers from Alabama, Texas A&M, and Ole Miss among others.

Jaquelin let me know that Coach Giles had dropped by his school recently and he liked what he saw, and during a phone call with Coach Washington, he received his offer from the Longhorns.

When the talk turned to Texas football, Roy said “When I hear ‘Texas Football’ I think about a program that may become dominant in the upcoming seasons.” He also said “I like Texas a lot! After meeting the coaches and just having conversations with them, they seem very cool. They are all trying to help you become a better player as well as a better person”.

Jaquelin also let me know that he is currently trying to set up a visit to Austin. I will keep you updated if/when that visit is set up. – (Charlie)

19 hours ago, Machinator said:

Of interest: the DB coach at Houston Lamar (the school that just gave us Anthony Cook, D'Shawn Jamison, and Al'Vonte Woodard) just moved to North Shore, the school of Zach Evans.

Real. Recruiting. These things don't just happen by themselves.

13 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Nice, probably the best OL for 2020 class.  

Take this FWIW, but a poster on 247 says he has a bro that's enrolling at UT this fall.

This is true.  Both Chad and his brother are very intelligent.  I hope he chooses us.   oUT!

From Wells:

On Malik Hornsby.. The rapid-rising 2020 QB from H-town has a planned camp schedule this month, with Texas hopefully seeing him soon. I don’t think the early QB take, Hudson Card, has deterred his desire to strongly consider Texas over the next few years.

I’ll be at ETBU in Marshall for the Texas satellite camp tomorrow, then to Dallas for UT’s satellite camp with SMU and others. I’m looking forward to seeing the Horns staff in their environment. It’s always interesting to see how each coach actually coaches. There will also be a number of prospects on hand, and the opportunity to see who makes an impression on Herman and his guys.

I fully expect to see Kelvontay Dixon (Carthage ATH, Texas signee Keaontay Ingram’s little brother) at the ETBU camp. He looked great at the ETCA Combine last month. The junior is already taller and faster than big bro. He’s also probably a CB or safety. 

Dixon holds a Texas offer from the C/O 2020.

IT

On Malik Hornsby....The 2020 signal-caller from Austin High in Houston will make it back to the 40 Acres for the first time since his offer. He's set to perform at UT's summer camp on Tuesday and tells me he's excited to get back to the state's capitol. The staff will get the opportunity to see him throw in their settings. As for the Hudson Card commitment, it doesn't seem to phase Hornsby in the least. Like we've mentioned here, he's a Longhorn fan with connections to the staff - his HS coach also coached Bryan Carrington, Texas' Director of Recruiting. This is trending exactly like it should.

SATELLITE/SUMMER CAMPS

Camp season offers us a look into the coach's evaluations. Texas goes full throttle at these events. It's a joy watching Herb Hand teach technique to young offensive linemen, and Oscar Giles does a great job with d-linemen, demanding proper foot placement, use of hands, and angles to take collapsing gaps or the edge. It's also an example of how active these coaches are during camp season. Check out the schedule:

June 1st - St. Louis (MO)
June 2nd - Marshall (TX)
June 3rd - Dallas (TX)
June 5th - Austin (TX) (on campus)
June 7th - Houston (TX)
June 7th - San Marcos (TX)
June 8th - Los Angeles (CA)
June 9th - Houston (TX)
June 9th - Commerce (TX) (A&M @ Commerce, 42 schools including Alabama)
June 10th - Austin (TX)
June 10th - Los Angeles (CA)

That's a lot of prospects to evaluate. There were over 700 at ETBU in Marshall on Saturday. After a pair of Texas-attended satellite camps last weekend, here's who caught UT's attention.

JJ Sparkman, Longview Pine Tree - WR (2020): It took a little while, but after Saturday, Sparkman is no longer a secret. After his performance at the ETCA Combine two weeks ago, Iowa State was the first offer for the 6-foot-4, 175-pound pass-catcher. After Saturday's event, Arkansas extended an offer as well. He'll net 25+ offers over the next 18 months based off pure talent and size. He's got elite body control, who is also an All-ETX basketball player. I coached JJ's uncle over 15 years ago, so height and athleticism run in the family. Texas liked what they watched at ETBU. He's already been on the 40 Acres once. I'd bet he'll return soon.

Savion Williams, Marshall - WR (2020): While the C/O 2019 might be down in East Texas, the 2020 class will return the region to glory. Williams is one reason why. At 6-foot-5, he's got a special set of skills only Liam Neeson could relate to. Marshall HC Claude Mathis, who lauds the Texas staff for its efforts in the region, told me Savion could be the best WR he's ever coached. That's high praise from a veteran in the TX HS football ranks. He already holds offers from Bowling Green, Southern Miss, and Texas State, and an Arkansas offer could happen any minute now. During 1-on-1s, he didn't disappoint. His speed, agility, and ability to high point the football was borderline unfair to the campers on Saturday. Best part; Texas now knows him.

Jacarrion Green, Marshall - QB (2020): Known as 'JJ' to his family and teammates, Green is the top dual-threat in the area and one to watch in-state for 2020. Ole Miss, Nebraska, and Texas State have already offered the 6-foot-2, 170-pound quarterback. He accounted for over 2500+ total yards and 24 TDs in his first season on the varsity. Even though UT has its sights set on Hudson Card and Malik Hornsby, Green is one to watch. TCU, Arkansas, Texas Tech, and LSU have been in contact.

Herbert Gums, Diboll - RB/DL (2020): At 6-foot-2, 245, the big man from the piney woods came to camp to play running back, but his future is on the defensive line, per sources close to the Texas staff. He's got some Henry Melton, Lamaar Houston, Chris Whaley to his game; ball-carriers who moved to the d-line to maximize their potential. He doesn't have the lateral quickness for linebacker, but is as strong as a bull, so you put 40-50 pounds on him and teach him the 3-tech. He's really under the radar, offer wise, only holding Houston and SFA invitations. He's set to attend a dozen camps this summer for some much-needed exposure. Texas is keeping its eyes on him.

Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage - DB (2020): The little brother of Texas RB Keaontay Ingram, Dixon is already taller and faster. That's probably why he's destined for CB or safety. He ran a 4.5 (40) and 4.1 (shuttle) on Saturday, so the talent gene didn't skip him in an athletic household. Texas and TCU recruit him the hardest, but after Saturday, that offer list will only increase. He's set to attend one of UT's on-campus camps this month. I'd like to see more of him at corner, because he looks similar to another ETX DB from the C/O 2015, Texas' Kris Boyd. He's got some of that dog too.

Myles Price, The Colony - WR (2020): Almost the entire Texas staff was in Dallas last night for the SMU camp. Besides obvious take, Dylan Wright, a few guys stood out. Price is one of them. At 5-foot-9, 160 pounds, Price ran a 4.38 (40) and 4.09 (shuttle) at TCU's mini-camp last week. So they offered. Price caught the attention of the Texas staff as well, as he looks to be an ideal slot receiver. With times like that, it's only a matter of time before more schools come calling.

Elijah Yelverton, Bishop Dunne - TE (2020): The guy that really caught the Texas staff's attention was the Bishop Dunne tight end product. While the tape won't blow you away, the potential might. The Bishop Dunne pipeline to Texas has never really formulated yet, but the junior tight end could change that.

At 6-foot-5, 225-pounds, he holds over a dozen offers, and after his SMU Satellite Camp performance, he might get a Texas invitation. They noticed.

“It was great, got some good work in," said Yelverton. "And it was good to finally talk to the coaches in person especially coach Herman. I don’t know much (about Texas) but we’re definitely keeping in touch.”

Any schools stand out this early?

“It’s too early to pick out favorites, but a Texas offer would be amazing," Yelverton said. "It would really mean a lot and I’d definitely be excited. We’ve already checked out Texas A&M, Arkansas, Iowa, and Oklahoma State. Seeing Austin would be great."

He definitely caught the staff's attention.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

On Malik Hornsby....The 2020 signal-caller from Austin High in Houston will make it back to the 40 Acres for the first time since his offer. He's set to perform at UT's summer camp on Tuesday and tells me he's excited to get back to the state's capitol. The staff will get the opportunity to see him throw in their settings. As for the Hudson Card commitment, it doesn't seem to phase Hornsby in the least. Like we've mentioned here, he's a Longhorn fan with connections to the staff - his HS coach also coached Bryan Carrington, Texas' Director of Recruiting. This is trending exactly like it should.

SATELLITE/SUMMER CAMPS

Camp season offers us a look into the coach's evaluations. Texas goes full throttle at these events. It's a joy watching Herb Hand teach technique to young offensive linemen, and Oscar Giles does a great job with d-linemen, demanding proper foot placement, use of hands, and angles to take collapsing gaps or the edge. It's also an example of how active these coaches are during camp season. Check out the schedule:

June 1st - St. Louis (MO)
June 2nd - Marshall (TX)
June 3rd - Dallas (TX)
June 5th - Austin (TX) (on campus)
June 7th - Houston (TX)
June 7th - San Marcos (TX)
June 8th - Los Angeles (CA)
June 9th - Houston (TX)
June 9th - Commerce (TX) (A&M @ Commerce, 42 schools including Alabama)
June 10th - Austin (TX)
June 10th - Los Angeles (CA)

That's a lot of prospects to evaluate. There were over 700 at ETBU in Marshall on Saturday. After a pair of Texas-attended satellite camps last weekend, here's who caught UT's attention.

JJ Sparkman, Longview Pine Tree - WR (2020): It took a little while, but after Saturday, Sparkman is no longer a secret. After his performance at the ETCA Combine two weeks ago, Iowa State was the first offer for the 6-foot-4, 175-pound pass-catcher. After Saturday's event, Arkansas extended an offer as well. He'll net 25+ offers over the next 18 months based off pure talent and size. He's got elite body control, who is also an All-ETX basketball player. I coached JJ's uncle over 15 years ago, so height and athleticism run in the family. Texas liked what they watched at ETBU. He's already been on the 40 Acres once. I'd bet he'll return soon.

Savion Williams, Marshall - WR (2020): While the C/O 2019 might be down in East Texas, the 2020 class will return the region to glory. Williams is one reason why. At 6-foot-5, he's got a special set of skills only Liam Neeson could relate to. Marshall HC Claude Mathis, who lauds the Texas staff for its efforts in the region, told me Savion could be the best WR he's ever coached. That's high praise from a veteran in the TX HS football ranks. He already holds offers from Bowling Green, Southern Miss, and Texas State, and an Arkansas offer could happen any minute now. During 1-on-1s, he didn't disappoint. His speed, agility, and ability to high point the football was borderline unfair to the campers on Saturday. Best part; Texas now knows him.

Jacarrion Green, Marshall - QB (2020): Known as 'JJ' to his family and teammates, Green is the top dual-threat in the area and one to watch in-state for 2020. Ole Miss, Nebraska, and Texas State have already offered the 6-foot-2, 170-pound quarterback. He accounted for over 2500+ total yards and 24 TDs in his first season on the varsity. Even though UT has its sights set on Hudson Card and Malik Hornsby, Green is one to watch. TCU, Arkansas, Texas Tech, and LSU have been in contact.

Herbert Gums, Diboll - RB/DL (2020): At 6-foot-2, 245, the big man from the piney woods came to camp to play running back, but his future is on the defensive line, per sources close to the Texas staff. He's got some Henry Melton, Lamaar Houston, Chris Whaley to his game; ball-carriers who moved to the d-line to maximize their potential. He doesn't have the lateral quickness for linebacker, but is as strong as a bull, so you put 40-50 pounds on him and teach him the 3-tech. He's really under the radar, offer wise, only holding Houston and SFA invitations. He's set to attend a dozen camps this summer for some much-needed exposure. Texas is keeping its eyes on him.

Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage - DB (2020): The little brother of Texas RB Keaontay Ingram, Dixon is already taller and faster. That's probably why he's destined for CB or safety. He ran a 4.5 (40) and 4.1 (shuttle) on Saturday, so the talent gene didn't skip him in an athletic household. Texas and TCU recruit him the hardest, but after Saturday, that offer list will only increase. He's set to attend one of UT's on-campus camps this month. I'd like to see more of him at corner, because he looks similar to another ETX DB from the C/O 2015, Texas' Kris Boyd. He's got some of that dog too.

Myles Price, The Colony - WR (2020): Almost the entire Texas staff was in Dallas last night for the SMU camp. Besides obvious take, Dylan Wright, a few guys stood out. Price is one of them. At 5-foot-9, 160 pounds, Price ran a 4.38 (40) and 4.09 (shuttle) at TCU's mini-camp last week. So they offered. Price caught the attention of the Texas staff as well, as he looks to be an ideal slot receiver. With times like that, it's only a matter of time before more schools come calling.

Elijah Yelverton, Bishop Dunne - TE (2020): The guy that really caught the Texas staff's attention was the Bishop Dunne tight end product. While the tape won't blow you away, the potential might. The Bishop Dunne pipeline to Texas has never really formulated yet, but the junior tight end could change that.

At 6-foot-5, 225-pounds, he holds over a dozen offers, and after his SMU Satellite Camp performance, he might get a Texas invitation. They noticed.

“It was great, got some good work in," said Yelverton. "And it was good to finally talk to the coaches in person especially coach Herman. I don’t know much (about Texas) but we’re definitely keeping in touch.”

Any schools stand out this early?

“It’s too early to pick out favorites, but a Texas offer would be amazing," Yelverton said. "It would really mean a lot and I’d definitely be excited. We’ve already checked out Texas A&M, Arkansas, Iowa, and Oklahoma State. Seeing Austin would be great."

He definitely caught the staff's attention.

So Claude Mathis is at Marshall now? Fuck that guy.

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Ideal for me would be Young + Card (or Young + Hornsby but not sure if that was ever on the table), but Hornsby + Card would be excellent as well.

Need two because you most likely lose two to transfers after this season 

26 minutes ago, DeathTongue said:

I can see one of the freshmen leaving, but do you really think that Buechele transfers as a senior?  Is he planning to graduate early?

I'd be shocked if Buechele didn't grad transfer. The only way he wouldn't is if it's obvious that he's the starter, or if he just doesn't care about being the starter. 

He was an early enrollee who would have taken summer classes for both sessions for three years. He'll graduate early easily if he wants to. 

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

I'd be shocked if Buechele didn't grad transfer. The only way he wouldn't is if it's obvious that he's the starter, or if he just doesn't care about being the starter. 

He was an early enrollee who would have taken summer classes for both sessions for three years. He'll graduate early easily if he wants to. 

I forgot that he was an early enrollee.  That makes sense. 

Joe Cook (IT) on Hudson Card:

Prior to today, Texas’ 2020 quarterback commit Hudson Card’s football interaction with offensive coordinator Tim Beck was simply throwing in front of him. For his first return to campus since committing, Card was able to receive instruction from Beck.

“It was awesome going out there with the guys and being able to get taught by Coach Beck,” Card said. “It was awesome, and I had a good time.”

Card comes from a school and system known for its high quality quarterback play. However, that doesn’t mean there are things he can work on before his time on the 40 Acres begins.

“Little tips that he sees that can improve me, which is always good,” Card said he learned from Beck. “I can get a head start by the time I enroll. It’s all good. Just somethings that he saw that I can improve on.”

The modern recruiting climate puts a lot of pressure on kids. Not only are dozens of coaches trying to get your attention, but family, friends, and media take interest in what your future college plans might be.

For Card, committing to the school he has always been a fan of was a no-brainer. Now, he can focus on becoming the best football player for Lake Travis he can be.

“It’s definitely a big load of my shoulders,” Card said. “I can kind of just relax now and just enjoy the next couple years of high school. Just knowing where I’m going to college, it’s a big relief.”

Card said he has no plans to visit other schools following his commitment.