Noogman

2019/2020 Hunting Thread

Guys I need you to do yourselves a favor and go find Wireless Rancher on Facebook and check out his systems. I just got in touch with this guy a couple weeks ago and he is already working on two custom systems for us. He did one for a friend in Seymour and they have had huge success. Even if you don’t need a trap, at least go by his Fb lave and give it a like, he posts some pretty badass videos.

What price ranges do these run?

5 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

What price ranges do these run?

$4650 for the whole shebang. IF you want just the gate system and want to do the rest of the panels/pen yourself it is cheaper but I'm not sure exactly how much. Give him a holler and he'll be happy to talk, just make sure you don't have anything to do for the next half hour because he's a good ol' boy with a PhD in shooting the bull.

2 hours ago, thestud said:

Guys I need you to do yourselves a favor and go find Wireless Rancher on Facebook and check out his systems. I just got in touch with this guy a couple weeks ago and he is already working on two custom systems for us. He did one for a friend in Seymour and they have had huge success. Even if you don’t need a trap, at least go by his Fb lave and give it a like, he posts some pretty badass videos.

I think I put this on the scat site, but I’m very close friends with the guy who distributes all of Jager Pros stuff for La/TX/OK area.  Also disposes of the animals if you don’t want them etc.  Very cool setups if you are overrun by pigs.  There’s also a guy advertises his system on Craigslist at about 50% cost of Jager.  Cody something or other. 

Anyone else hunt in a county with antler restrictions?  I saw about 16 bucks last weekend and only one would have been a legal shooter.  I have mature bucks running around with racks that look like telephone poles who are breeding the does and continuing the trend.  This is by far the dumbest rule TPWD has come up with.  I need to be culling the basket racks and letting the deer with nicer spreads breed the does.  It is increasingly frustrating.  On 3000+ acres we probably have 2 bucks that actually fit the bill that are old enough to take and I don't want to because I want the herd to improve.

Also what is the deal with deer with horns on only one side?  I have two bucks running around like that.  Also have a 1.5 year old with a young pretty rack but no use of one of his hind legs.  I don't know whether to take these deer out or not.

Should I contact the game warden?  I tried this one year when I had buck that was at least 6 years old running around with super thick main beams, small points and was had only about an 11 inch spread.    The damn thing looked ridiculous.  I called the game warden who basically told me there shit all I could do about it. 

Very frustrating.   Would love to hear other peoples input who deal with this.  By the way, if I get MLD permits do these rules still apply?

Culling won't do anything to change the genetics for a lot of reasons. So removing antler restrictions would just lead to younger bucks being killed on average. A hind leg injury often results in weird antler deformations on the opposite side. If the deer recovers, it's rack likely will as well.

54 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

Anyone else hunt in a county with antler restrictions?  I saw about 16 bucks last weekend and only one would have been a legal shooter.  I have mature bucks running around with racks that look like telephone poles who are breeding the does and continuing the trend.  This is by far the dumbest rule TPWD has come up with.  I need to be culling the basket racks and letting the deer with nicer spreads breed the does.  It is increasingly frustrating.  On 3000+ acres we probably have 2 bucks that actually fit the bill that are old enough to take and I don't want to because I want the herd to improve.

Also what is the deal with deer with horns on only one side?  I have two bucks running around like that.  Also have a 1.5 year old with a young pretty rack but no use of one of his hind legs.  I don't know whether to take these deer out or not.

Should I contact the game warden?  I tried this one year when I had buck that was at least 6 years old running around with super thick main beams, small points and was had only about an 11 inch spread.    The damn thing looked ridiculous.  I called the game warden who basically told me there shit all I could do about it. 

Very frustrating.   Would love to hear other peoples input who deal with this.  By the way, if I get MLD permits do these rules still apply?

Do you own the land?  Or lease it?  I believe MLDP applications must be filed by the landowner.  I took a cursory glance at the overview and didn't see anything regarding a variance from county antler restrictions, so that leads me to believe that those antler restrictions would take precedence.  Probably worth a call to TPWD if you own the property.  

https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/permits/land/wildlife_management/mldp/#mldp-pdf

MLD doesn’t apply to every Texas county. It is predominantly the CenTex region due to horrible hunting practices in the 80’s and 90’s. In all actuality the MLD restrictions are doing much more harm than good these days. I counted 57 doe in one wheat field and not an antler in sight. Fucking absurd

The land is family owned.   My dad owns most of the property we hunt on but I "may" be able to include some adjacent land I own.   My father would grant me authority to apply or I could do it for him.

Our buck to doe ratio is very good.  Mainly because we just aren't killing any deer.  But every day I have hunted this year I have seen more bucks than doe. 

I would talk with your local game warden(or raccoon ranger if you’re Brisket) about going the MLD route. There is a lot of headache that can come from applying for MLD oversight, and most wardens will tell you it’s not worth the hassle unless you are doing some serious harvesting. Lots of bullshit that comes from MLD

1 hour ago, BillyBadAss said:

Any recs on where to get deer/hogs processed in the S Austin vicinity? 

The Buck Stops Here o Highway 290, a hair W of Circle Drive (easier to cross 290 @ the light (Circle Drive) & then make a quick R, go up the hill... down the hill... on the L.

It's a dangerous proposition to cross 290 there because it doesn't have a turn lane.

On 11/9/2019 at 12:17 PM, BillyBadAss said:

Any recs on where to get deer/hogs processed in the S Austin vicinity? 

Johnny Gs meat market on manchaca does but I’ve never had one done there.  

25 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Also some interesting stuff happens.  Here a fight broke out over a chicken sandwich.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Chuck E Cheese for whitetails. 

8 minutes ago, Izhmash said:

@Judge Roybeanbag That last buck is mean looking...good mass and gnarly horns.  Good luck finding him one day!

He’s only got that one antler.  Deformed on the other side due to some injury.  I may go ahead and take him if he lets me, and have him mounted.  Been following him for three years now since he’s been like that.  His shed from 3 years ago is posted earlier on this thread.  Cool old boy.

On 11/4/2019 at 3:46 PM, Brisketexan said:

Last year, I made a point to save a neck from the buck the boy shot.  I slow roasted it, for shredding/tacos.  It was okay.  I think it would have turned out better had I finished it the way my aunt used to: roast venison, shred it, then crisp fry it with onions, tomatoes, and peppers (add tomatoes at the end to make a little juice/sauce).  Put that on little tortillas, eat about a hunnert of em.

I didn't save a lot of the neck meat on the doe the boy shot this year.  I cut out the backstraps and tenders, am turning the rest into 1) pan sausage, 2) summer sausage, 3) chili grind, 4) burger grind.

I'm hoping to get another deer later this season, will save backstraps and tenders, then maybe turn some more into stew meat and roasts (to do the shredded taco thing), then maybe some more sausage and chili grind (man, I love venison chili).

I like your style. I just had 50 dozen venison tamales made. 

On 11/9/2019 at 9:44 AM, thestud said:

MLD doesn’t apply to every Texas county. It is predominantly the CenTex region due to horrible hunting practices in the 80’s and 90’s. In all actuality the MLD restrictions are doing much more harm than good these days. I counted 57 doe in one wheat field and not an antler in sight. Fucking absurd

Huh?

MLD is all over south Texas.  We have been on it for 30 years.  The benefit is you do a survey and a game biologist tells you how many doe and bucks you need to harvest every year.  That with the record keeping and required habitat improvements allow landowners to properly manage the resourc

How in the world is that doing harm?

I have been on a lot of MLD ranches.  And their deer herds are in much better shape on average than non MLD places.

My family land is in an MLD County, but we are not enrolled in any of the MLD programs because they were a pain in the ass to deal with. Therefore we and the majority of farms around us are only killing doe during the MLD exempt period. For the last decade or longer, that has been the weekend after Thanksgiving ONLY. They finally realized how overrun with doe we are in that region and this year the MLD exempt period is November 2nd-17th. Maybe I should have clarified that when I say MLD has done more harm than good, I mean at least for us. If you’re a big operation that manages wild game and profits from it I’m sure it’s beneficial, but not for a family farm that harvests 20-25 deer a year max.

Busted this guy with my bow on Saturday evening. Hit him in the liver/lungs, he ran 50 yards and crumpled underneath some mesquite.

216af9e92f66c0923a07bf72010daa73.jpg

Deer are moving pretty well up in Llano/Mason right now. Small bucks are all chasing and the big guys are just cruising. Had a really nice 9 come through with this guy on Saturday morning, neither gave me a shot. He came through by himself in the evening, had to grunt to get him to stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a 10. The brow tines are there just obscured some.

I keep forgetting to post a 10 I saw this weekend. Maybe it is actually an 11??? It has dual brow tines on right side and one on the left. One of the tines looks like a unicorns horn, it goes forward instead of up. I will try and remember to pull it off my laptop later.  

Edited by HOOKEM4

My family land is in an MLD County, but we are not enrolled in any of the MLD programs because they were a pain in the ass to deal with. Therefore we and the majority of farms around us are only killing doe during the MLD exempt period. For the last decade or longer, that has been the weekend after Thanksgiving ONLY. They finally realized how overrun with doe we are in that region and this year the MLD exempt period is November 2nd-17th. Maybe I should have clarified that when I say MLD has done more harm than good, I mean at least for us. If you’re a big operation that manages wild game and profits from it I’m sure it’s beneficial, but not for a family farm that harvests 20-25 deer a year max.

Franklin county?

6 hours ago, thestud said:

That sounds like an issue with your county regs, not the MLD programs.  What you are describing sounds like the LAMPS program for doe permits, which is entirely separate from MLD.

I do not even know what you mean by saying your land is in an MLD county or the dates you reference.  MLD programs can be applied to in any county.  And the MLD regs do not limit when you can shoot doe.  You can shoot doe from September to almost March. 

5 minutes ago, thestud said:

Milam

Yeah, your general regs are similar to most east texas counties --- no doe outside of first two weeks.  If you are MLD, you can hunt them all season.  Those doe restrictions have nothing to do with other ranches in your county doing MLD programs.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/regs/counties/milam/

23 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Yeah, your general regs are similar to most east texas counties --- no doe outside of first two weeks.  If you are MLD, you can hunt them all season.  Those doe restrictions have nothing to do with other ranches in your county doing MLD programs.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/regs/counties/milam/

I know how MLD works. What I'm saying is it is a pain in the ass to get into the program, then stay in the program at a satisfactory level. If you don't use all of your tags, then they use that against you the next year when it comes time to issue them again. We aren't a game outfit that slays deer by the dozen. We are a family operation centered around beefmaster cattle, coastal hay production, and when the weather provides we yield a decent wheat crop. We can't commit to 80+ doe tags because there's no way we would come close to filling them. Some years maybe, but most years we're just too busy with everything else to commit to chasing tail. But there are some years where if we weren't an MLD county and could use our regular tags during the normal season, we'd put a decent dent in the population.

30 minutes ago, thestud said:

I know how MLD works. What I'm saying is it is a pain in the ass to get into the program, then stay in the program at a satisfactory level. If you don't use all of your tags, then they use that against you the next year when it comes time to issue them again. We aren't a game outfit that slays deer by the dozen. We are a family operation centered around beefmaster cattle, coastal hay production, and when the weather provides we yield a decent wheat crop. We can't commit to 80+ doe tags because there's no way we would come close to filling them. Some years maybe, but most years we're just too busy with everything else to commit to chasing tail. But there are some years where if we weren't an MLD county and could use our regular tags during the normal season, we'd put a decent dent in the population.

Every county in Texas is a mld County.  MLD has zero to do with restricting doe seasons.  TPWD does that in counties with lower deer density typically.  MLD and restricted doe seasons aren’t connected in any way.  

I’m in Frio and Zavala counties.  Most big ranches around there are MLD.   As is our place.  There aren’t any doe restrictions like in your county.  The 400 acre place across the road isn’t MLD.  They can kill doe all season long using their regular tags.  

Edited by Johnny Sack

Father sent me this pic of a nice buck running a doe in NE Texas.  Said he didn't even realize the truck was there until he was about 20 yds from it.  Blurry pic, but a good looking buck...wouldn't mind running across him in the woods.

E9449B5C-DC5A-4258-A2D2-28CE77AE7929_1_201_a.jpeg

@UTEX90  I hunt in an antler restricted (and doe restricted) county.  We are MLD and we are under 1,000 acres; also, it's a lease.  It has been fantastic for us from a harvest management perspective because it allows us to shoot mature bucks that are less than 13 inches as you describe, plus we don't have to go through the separate process of getting doe tags.  If I were hunting your ranch I can already tell you that the MLD program would be a no brainer.  However, if you are hunting 3,000 acres and not harvesting much, you should start thinking about what your goals for the property are and then decide whether MLD permits will help you achieve that.  

Not sure what county you are in or the particulars of your ranch, but let's say you have 100 deer per 1,000 acres and your buck-doe ratio is actually 1:1.  You can probably expect to end up with 21 doe permits and 21 buck permits per year (on average).  Now, you don't HAVE to harvest that amount, but you should be pretty close to your tag allotment each year...I don't have actual experience with TPWD being punitive for a ranch not using all of their MLD permits, but it's something everyone thinks about for sure (including us), so maybe it does happen?  From what it sounds like y'all harvest today, the MLD process could be a real shift in mentality for your family.  But the paper work isn't bad at all (in my experience) and the survey stuff are things we would be doing every year on our own anyway.  

To your other points, as mentioned above, you can't materially influence genetics by harvesting bucks. "Trophy" bucks produce "trash" buck offspring and vise versa.  But the MLD program will dang sure allow you to fill your freezer with mature bucks who are not ever going to meet your ranch's criteria of a "trophy."  With respect to the deer with antlers on only 1 side, if I were convinced this was genetic and they hadn't broken them off, I would shoot those every day.  I would also shoot the 1.5 year old with an injury because the coyotes would likely get him on the place we hunt.  I would shoot these deer because if I have to harvest 21 bucks, these are easy one's to add to the harvest list.

Shameless plug for your friends and potentially the Surly kingdom:  If you decide to go MLD and need help harvesting, you won't have a problem putting together a group to hunt, whether it be by lease or invitation.   

53 minutes ago, 3shot said:

If you decide to go MLD and need help harvesting, you won't have a problem putting together a group to hunt, whether it be by lease or invitation.

This is what I was thinking.  I’d help you with some of those tags if you need.  Steaks and whiskey on me, too. 

55 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Medina, just outside of Castroville. 

Very nice. I hunted a bit north of there growing up. We never had deer like that.  

5 hours ago, 3shot said:

If you are hunting 3,000 acres and not harvesting much, you should start thinking about what your goals for the property are and then decide whether MLD permits will help you achieve that. 

I think I would only to get MLD on 1500 acres which is the most populated deer section and can be easily segregated from the rest of the ranch that is primarily used for grazing cattle.  Over the last eight years there have been only 4 deer killed all by my son or myself.   Everyone else just pretty much deer watches and I am the only one in my family that really hunts.  I am concerned about the harvest strategy that goes with MLD.  I assume the penalty for failure to fill tags is fewer tags the next year or a loss of MLD status.  I would love to transition to MLD but I have to get the rest of my non hunting family on board. 

How many tags do you get for your less than 1000 acres?  Just curious how many deer we may have to harvest.

On 11/11/2019 at 10:02 AM, thestud said:

This has been my hesitancy to move forward.

38 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

I think I would only to get MLD on 1500 acres which is the most populated deer section and can be easily segregated from the rest of the ranch that is primarily used for grazing cattle.  Over the last eight years there have been only 4 deer killed all by my son or myself.   Everyone else just pretty much deer watches and I am the only one in my family that really hunts.  I am concerned about the harvest strategy that goes with MLD.  I assume the penalty for failure to fill tags is fewer tags the next year or a loss of MLD status.  I would love to transition to MLD but I have to get the rest of my non hunting family on board. 

How many tags do you get for your less than 1000 acres?  Just curious how many deer we may have to harvest.

We usually get between 12 and 16 and they are split relatively evenly between bucks and does, but again, it's going to depend on your area and deer density per acre.  If you haven't already, look into the Harvest Option MLD program.  The one that requires deer surveys and more information and input is the Conversation Option.  It sounds like the Harvest Option may be exactly what you need because there's no input required from TPWD and I bet the number of tags they give you will be a lot less than what it would otherwise be.  All of this stuff is on TPWD's website and if you have questions, you can call them; once you get to the right person, I have found them to be very helpful.    

4 deer killed over 8 years on 1,500 acres?  16 bucks observed on opening day, all but 1 under 13 inches wide?  You need to thin that herd!  Get some kids out there pronto and have some fun :).      

Had a great weekend last weekend.  Arrived in Mertzon around 6PM on Friday night, up at 5 the next morning and got this one around 9 AM as we were about to head back to camp:

spacer.png

Cleaned and quartered it at camp and hung out with FIL until about 4PM and went back out to a different blind and got a doe:

spacer.png

Cleaned and quartered her at camp and was back in Houston at 3PM on Sunday.  FIL took both deer back and processed them in to 50/60 pounds of ground venison and backstrap:

sA5O3sm.jpg

Fun was had.  Good weekend.

On 11/12/2019 at 9:05 AM, 3shot said:

.I don't have actual experience with TPWD being punitive for a ranch not using all of their MLD permits, but it's something everyone thinks about for sure (including us), so maybe it does happen?

My TPWD biologist buddy used to pick me up at the end of February and we’d go to the King Ranch and shoot every doe we saw. I think it’s a pretty big deal if you don’t use all of the permits. 

Edited by Lat22

On 11/12/2019 at 9:05 AM, 3shot said:

@UTEX90  I hunt in an antler restricted (and doe restricted) county.  We are MLD and we are under 1,000 acres; also, it's a lease.  It has been fantastic for us from a harvest management perspective because it allows us to shoot mature bucks that are less than 13 inches as you describe, plus we don't have to go through the separate process of getting doe tags.  If I were hunting your ranch I can already tell you that the MLD program would be a no brainer.  However, if you are hunting 3,000 acres and not harvesting much, you should start thinking about what your goals for the property are and then decide whether MLD permits will help you achieve that.  

Not sure what county you are in or the particulars of your ranch, but let's say you have 100 deer per 1,000 acres and your buck-doe ratio is actually 1:1.  You can probably expect to end up with 21 doe permits and 21 buck permits per year (on average).  Now, you don't HAVE to harvest that amount, but you should be pretty close to your tag allotment each year...I don't have actual experience with TPWD being punitive for a ranch not using all of their MLD permits, but it's something everyone thinks about for sure (including us), so maybe it does happen?  From what it sounds like y'all harvest today, the MLD process could be a real shift in mentality for your family.  But the paper work isn't bad at all (in my experience) and the survey stuff are things we would be doing every year on our own anyway.  

To your other points, as mentioned above, you can't materially influence genetics by harvesting bucks. "Trophy" bucks produce "trash" buck offspring and vise versa.  But the MLD program will dang sure allow you to fill your freezer with mature bucks who are not ever going to meet your ranch's criteria of a "trophy."  With respect to the deer with antlers on only 1 side, if I were convinced this was genetic and they hadn't broken them off, I would shoot those every day.  I would also shoot the 1.5 year old with an injury because the coyotes would likely get him on the place we hunt.  I would shoot these deer because if I have to harvest 21 bucks, these are easy one's to add to the harvest list.

Shameless plug for your friends and potentially the Surly kingdom:  If you decide to go MLD and need help harvesting, you won't have a problem putting together a group to hunt, whether it be by lease or invitation.   

I know we have materially influenced genetics at our place.  Probably more has to do with getting deer density and ratios right plus supplementing nutrition with food plots and protein.  But we high fenced 30 years ago.   And we cull bucks based on taking the inferior deer from each class.  You need people who can age deer on the hoof.

But whatever it is, we have far superior bucks than we did 30 years ago.  I mean it is not even close.  We went from our best deer being in the 150s to now being 190s to 200.  The first 5 years we had the place we never cracked 155.

The only toying we have done with genetics is netting a nice buck and netting 20 doe or so.  We put them in a 100 acre trap with plenty of cover during the breeding season.  Then turn leave gates open and let them go.  That and one year we fucked up our survey and thought we had a lot more doe than we actually did.  So we killed way too many.  We brought in 40 or so doe netted off another really good ranch down the road.

36 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I know we have materially influenced genetics at our place.  Probably more has to do with getting deer density and ratios right plus supplementing nutrition with food plots and protein.  But we high fenced 30 years ago.   And we cull bucks based on taking the inferior deer from each class.  You need people who can age deer on the hoof.

But whatever it is, we have far superior bucks than we did 30 years ago.  I mean it is not even close.  We went from our best deer being in the 150s to now being 190s to 200.  The first 5 years we had the place we never cracked 155.

The only toying we have done with genetics is netting a nice buck and netting 20 doe or so.  We put them in a 100 acre trap with plenty of cover during the breeding season.  Then turn leave gates open and let them go.  That and one year we fucked up our survey and thought we had a lot more doe than we actually did.  So we killed way too many.  We brought in 40 or so doe netted off another really good ranch down the road.

I am no expert on the subject by any means, but it never made sense to me that you could influence the genetics of a deer herd by harvesting bucks since that is only 1/2 of the genetic makeup of a deer, especially on a low fence place.  Still, we basically do what everyone else does with respect to shooting bucks we think will not reach our "trophy" criteria.  I personally look at it as managing the number of mouths that are competing for nutrition, rather than influencing genetics, but this is just my opinion and few seem to share it, including my fellow lease members.  It does make for a nice discussion over the campfire every now and then though.

There is a recent paper that was published on this topic that you should take a look at, if you haven't before.  I cannot find an electronic copy of the paper at the moment, but the findings are summarized here: https://www.qdma.com/qdm-works-culling-doesnt/   

Your ranch sounds awesome, by the way.  Must feel great to see y'alls patience and hard work payoff over the years.