Dallas Cowboys 2019 Season Thread -- Aaaah Zeke Out?

Patrick Bateman

15 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I'm listening to Norm and they said there was a total of 5 tripping calls this whole entire season league wide. In every single fucking game played. And they called 2 in our game yesterday...Cool.

We seem to get an inordinate amount of "I've never seen that called before" penalties. Just off the top of my head in recent years we've had a couple of offensive targeting penalties against Zeke, the Brice Butler leaving the huddle penalty against Green Bay in the playoffs, and now the 2 inexplicable tripping penalties on Sunday. I realize that I don't watch other teams as closely as I watch the Cowboys so there's a bit of confirmation bias going on here, but I swear there have been several of these instances where a call that is typically ridiculously rare is suddenly made against us at the most inopportune time. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

I don't think Garrett has a problem with players or locker room and that's evident by the fact these players have never quit on him even though he's consistently put them in shit situations and has given them reasons to quit on him. That's his best attribute as a coach. I guess Dez thinks the coach should be acting like a young black kid and speaking on his level but that would be idiotic. Garrett is such a shitty game day coach that there aren't reasons to criticize him for the few things about coaching he's actually great at doing. 

Yeah Dez using Harbaugh as an example clearly means he wants his coach to speak like a young black male. 

Who would've thought that our purported Ivy league coach would view data based decision making as totally anathema to his core football beliefs?  I really thought that leaving him hanging on the last year of his contract would push him into the 180 degree turn we saw in Ron Rivera when he went from being the most risk averse coach in the league to worshipping at the alter of analytics and made the Super Bowl because of it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Ill give you the routes...but dak is the one not using his legs. How many times have you seen dak keep it on the read option...i want to say 0

Did it a few times against pats, de crashes toward zeke and dak never pulls it to run

That play were dak throws it out of bounds to te in the endzone. Why didnt he just run was just him and a dt on the edge? Dak has plenty of opportunity to use his legs but refuses to on most chances

On that critical third down play in the fourth qtr, when Dak rolled left, there was one fat 350 lb lineman between Dak and a first down. Prescott coulda run circles around that slow bastard, but instead he throws a low percentage pass that fails - and that likely kept us from tying up that game.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Improved? I wouldn't call this crap improvement. Dak is better but just about everything else is worse. The defense is performing far worse with mostly the same personnel. Special teams is a disaster and last year was mostly average. Zeke already looks washed up and the OL looks worse. 

This team is improved, but improving against where you were last year isn't the problem. It's improving against a league in which any number of teams are also improving. That's why a coach can't say, "we have better personnel, so we'll just run the same old shit we ran last year and our record will improve." Bullshit. Every aspect of the game has to improve, and that's where Garrett is weakest. He's living in the fucking past while the John Harbaughs of the world are kicking his scrawny little hand-clapping ass.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Most likely this is the end of the road for Garrett. I say 80% chance he's fired. 

Wildcard game would be a coin flip game against Minnesota or Seattle. Know morale is at a low but Vegas would have it within 3 points either way. Even if we win that one no doubt we fuck up the next one.

If the Cowboys fire Garret, I wonder where Kellen Moore lands. 

22 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

On that critical third down play in the fourth qtr, when Dak rolled left, there was one fat 350 lb lineman between Dak and a first down. Prescott coulda run circles around that slow bastard, but instead he throws a low percentage pass that fails - and that likely kept us from tying up that game.

He could've possibly scored. Outside of the fat man the only defender left to keep him out of the endzone was a DB.

• Like 1

Yup..unless you meant to quote someone else, thats what i was saying. Had that first down easy if he ran

Yeah I can't figure out what happened there. I think the chains (which are on the near side of the field in this video) are the official marker, and the one in the video on the opposite side is just a visual reference. I would assume that the ref placing the marker just realized he hadn't placed it right and moved it over a little bit, but that doesn't explain how the 1st down play clearly starts at the 15.

• Like 1

If the actual 10 yard measuring chains are on the other side, then it doesn’t really matter what that guy does with his marker. 
but how does the yellow line tech work because that gets moved as well. The strange thing about adjusting that marker is that the ball is on the 15, so there’s a line across the field making it easy to set both the LOS markers and the first down markers which also would have the 5 yard line running across the field to line each other up. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If the actual 10 yard measuring chains are on the other side, then it doesn’t really matter what that guy does with his marker...... 

Maybe it mattered to Dak, who took a look at it and thought it was a yard further than he could make with a mad dash. Some of the receivers are likely using that marker to determine their routes. Sorry motherfuckers. Hell yes, it should be investigated.

Stephen A. Smith piles on Garrett. Inexplicably says he'll be fired before the end of the season, which may save their season. Don't agree with that, but he reminds us that we had two chances to score a TD (which we needed just to tie). Clappy threw away one of those chances. Had we failed there, we still would have had one last chance. I normally don't like this guy, but he's right on Garrett.

9 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Ill give you the routes...but dak is the one not using his legs. How many times have you seen dak keep it on the read option...i want to say 0

Did it a few times against pats, de crashes toward zeke and dak never pulls it to run

That play were dak throws it out of bounds to te in the endzone. Why didnt he just run was just him and a dt on the edge? Dak has plenty of opportunity to use his legs but refuses to on most chances

Let's not mistake Dak for Lamar Jackson.  Dak is more of a scrambler instead of a runner and he's a pass first guy.  He came in as a guy who preferred to pass from the pocket and when he broke the pocket he was usually looking to make a play downfield.  He will run, but it's not as natural as guys like Lamar or even Cam.  Second, he's running just about as much as he's run in the past.  He's averaging just a tad under 18 rushing yards per game.  His rookie season, he averaged less.  His career, he averages 19 yard per game.  His attempts per game is 3.1 per game.  His career average is 3.8.  This thought that he's grossly stopped running like he used to is simply rosy retrospection.  Most read options are most likely dictated pre-snap by defensive alignment, down and distance, and field position.  If you want more Dak runs, then you need to game plan and call them in -- QB draws, naked boots, or the coaching staff needs to tell him to look to keep on a read option.  Otherwise, he's most likely going to give it to Zeke (as he should) in most situations.  It used to frustrate me to no end that they don't really run a "read" option on our zone plays, but it hasn't really changed over the years.  He's running just a tad less than usual but not enough to really make a big impact.

8 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Let's be honest, Dak doesn't want to run right now either. He has about approx 115 million guaranteed reasons not to run. I don't blame him. 

This is another reason although I don't think it's on his mind too much between the white lines, but we do want to keep him healthy.  We don't need to be seeing Cooper Rush.  As he develops in his craft, he'll continue to try to make plays with his arm, not his legs unless specifically called to do it or out of desperation.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If Garrett were to be fired midsession, who is the likely interim hc?  I submit it is likely marinelli. Who else could it be?  Not moore, not columbo. Richard as an audition?

Richard.  I think this is the end of the road for Marinelli as well as Garrett.  There's no upside to giving the team over to Marinelli unless they think the locker room would respond more to him because he's been there longer.  The thing about bringing in a new staff is we're probably losing Richard and although he's frustrating at times, Moore has showed promise as a coordinator, he just needs a little more experience and to get out from Garrett's thumb.  We'll get over it, but our positional coaching talent has eroded under Garrett especially the last 3 years.  Sucks to lose decent guys.

This is another reason although I don't think it's on his mind too much between the white lines, but we do want to keep him healthy.  We don't need to be seeing Cooper Rush.  As he develops in his craft, he'll continue to try to make plays with his arm, not his legs unless specifically called to do it or out of desperation.  
Im not saying i want them to draw plays up for him to run. I was telling vic that dak has opportunities to run already and he turns those down fairly often.
To your read option comment, no he should not be giving it to zeke everytime. He should make the correct play and pull it when it is called for which he doesn't. Might as well not call it if its always going to zeke. He should also scramble/run when its there as we have mentioned on that 3rd down play where all he has to do is beat a dt.

The opportunities are there already every game he just needs to take advantage to help the team.

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If Garrett were to be fired midsession, who is the likely interim hc?  I submit it is likely marinelli. Who else could it be?  Not moore, not columbo. Richard as an audition?

If the replacement is Marinelli, just go ahead and keep Garrett. He is as inept as Garrett is. Both of them need to be gone asap.

Richard should have been promoted after the Jets loss and Garrett should have been canned. That loss is inexcusable and could be the loss that keeps us from the playoffs. As bad as the other losses were, you can justify them to some extent (even though in every one of them, each of those teams were missing key players). But that Jets loss was god awful. Had we won that game, we still have a comfortable lead on the Eagles even with this past loss.

Although in the end it will mean zero. Eagles and Cowboys are not that good of teams and will be a quick out in the playoffs. We are nowhere near the top tier of the NFC. Niners and Seahawks would roll us. If we make the playoffs, we will get the 4 seed and we will play the best wild card team, which will be Seattle or SF. They are both in the West so one of them will be a wild card. Seattle beat them once and they play again soon. If Seattle beats them again (this time it will be in Seattle), they will have the tiebreaker and could win the West. SF just beat GB so they have the tiebreaker on them. Anyone have confidence we will beat SF or Seattle in a playoff game? Seattle is totally different this year than last and actually are 6-0 on the road this year.

I do think Dallas has a more potent offense and has a better ability to put up bigger numbers in any given game than the Eagles. We do play much better at home on offense but no way Garrett is going to do shit after the wild card win when we go on the road to play a top seed. Fuck him. 

20 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

Im not saying i want them to draw plays up for him to run. I was telling vic that dak has opportunities to run already and he turns those down fairly often.
To your read option comment, no he should not be giving it to zeke everytime. He should make the correct play and pull it when it is called for which he doesn't. Might as well not call it if its always going to zeke. He should also scramble/run when its there as we have mentioned on that 3rd down play where all he has to do is beat a dt.

The opportunities are there already every game he just needs to take advantage to help the team.

The point is, none of this has changed.  Maybe because he drops back a little more, folks are under the impression he's running less, but not substantially or enough to complain about.  And the ZR thing has been going on since he came in the league.  They look very pre-determined.  To ask him to change 4 years in is probably unrealistic.  I hate it too but it hasn't changed and I don't think it will.

1. The video is uncut

2. The Cowboy team we saw Sunday has a good shot at beating any team in the NFL, with the exception of the Ravens. Although having Garrett/Moore running the offense would make it damn hard to do. 

3. Since when does a QB risk his health running the ball? If the yards are there, take them, if they're not, slide. Once he starts that slide, he's untouchable. He's more likely to be injured standing in the pocket during a full blitz.

• Like 1

The point is, none of this has changed.  Maybe because he drops back a little more, folks are under the impression he's running less, but not substantially or enough to complain about.  And the ZR thing has been going on since he came in the league.  They look very pre-determined.  To ask him to change 4 years in is probably unrealistic.  I hate it too but it hasn't changed and I don't think it will.
I with you, lets go tell vic.... But the point from me at least is that i just want him to make the correct play and that involves running when you can.

Others are wanting the draws and other plays called. We all agree we need a new offensive scheme over Garrett's stall one( which we have got in limited doses this year)

Don't get me wrong, in a game like Sunday, we should have called and had gameplanned more Dak runs.  He should have run it 5-8 times in that type of slop weather game but alas that would have meant doing an astute game plan based on opponent (poor vs run and QB run) and weather.  We don't do that because if "we do what we do at a high level, we'll be successful".  Fucking idiot.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:
36 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:
If that was real they would have showed an uncut video of it happening. They have to make the cut to the doctored part of the video. 

It is uncut...watch the damn video lol

No it isn't. Both times they show the guy move the yard they cut away to a zoomed-in frame at the top and then cut back from it. When they make that cut away they have a doctored clip where they show the ball marker person from a different point in the game move the marker after a one-yard gain then superimpose the yellow line to make it look like the first down marker. Both guys holding the chains would have to move the one yard for that to happen and if it was real you could easily show an uncut clip without the zoom in where you'd see it happen. 

Jesus, it's like you two haven't edited a video in your life before. This is an obvious cut/splice and shop. 

No it isn't. Both times they show the guy move the yard they cut away to a zoomed-in frame at the top and then cut back from it. When they make that cut away they have a doctored clip where they show the ball marker person from a different point in the game move the marker after a one-yard gain then superimpose the yellow line to make it look like the first down marker. Both guys holding the chains would have to move the one yard for that to happen and if it was real you could easily show an uncut clip without the zoom in where you'd see it happen. 
Jesus, it's like you two haven't edited a video in your life before. This is an obvious cut/splice and shop. 
Dude....you can see the guy move it on the second down play lol...watch the marker in the wide shot
  • Like 1

Lulz I fucked that up. Didn't notice the move before the cut. Who knows, would like to see the whole sequence from 1st to 4th unedited
No worries....will be interesting if it gets brought to nfl's attention but it is some bs if it is need real

Not much they can do except fire/punish judge and give us another apology. Goodell might say who cares i told refs to screw cowboys for years lol

This is a post on a Cowboys board about an exchange between a member and an associate of his from Boston. Amusing and sad at the same time.

"With a business associate who is a huge Pats fan - but, a reasonable one and a genuine student of the game. When Dallas had the ball with 2:38 left, a full compliment of time outs and needing to score a TD to win - I made the remark that, "If Dak wants the money, all he's gotta do is go win it."

My friend said, and I quote; "There's no way the league will allow that to happen. The refs will see to it that Tom gets this win. It's been going on for years up here and we all know it. It's to the point where it's almost embarrassing." Three plays later the phantom tripping call -

His next remark was .. "See, I told ya. Dallas couldn't have come in here with a Hall of Fame team and won. It's really not any fun watching them play here in Foxboro .. the outcome is a foregone conclusion."

I officiated many seasons at the NCAA level and left because pressure was applied to, "ensure we had a good, entertaining game." I'll just leave it at that. I've always felt like the pros were above that because it's all about the money with no pretense but, it seems now there are other things at play ... personal agendas, manipulating outcomes for whatever reason.

After 53 years .. I'm just about done.

Now, I don't care what you think about this post as to its validity or my friends sincerity or whatever - all I'm doing is relaying an actual conversation."

I've noticed the fan hosts have gotten more hostile towards Garrett/cowboys and with that little pompous boot licking twat Mickey. Guess they feel like Jerry has no where else to go since he burned the ticket bridge and the ticket and ESPN radio are linked so he has to just deal with it. The fan used to be terrible every second of the day with garbage like Jane Slater and Ritchie/Cybil Shepherd but they've gotten more entertaining lately. 

Like I said at the time of the second tripping call, they are rubbing Jerry’s nose in it at this point. 
if it’s true that you can call offensive holding on most plays, then just call holding. (Like they did on a very iffy call on smith that took a third down conversion deep in pats territory into a third and long that led to a punt)

but making up a rarely called trip for the second time of the game is basically saying we want you to know that we are fucking you over on purpose and there’s nothing anyone can do about it. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

I've noticed the fan hosts have gotten more hostile towards Garrett/cowboys and with that little pompous boot licking twat Mickey. Guess they feel like Jerry has no where else to go since he burned the ticket bridge and the ticket and ESPN radio are linked so he has to just deal with it. The fan used to be terrible every second of the day with garbage like Jane Slater and Ritchie/Cybil Shepherd but they've gotten more entertaining lately. 

They’ve been burning GarrettTop at the stake for 2+ seasons now.  Shan & RJ do a great job with his &  Jerruh’s weekly call in 

13 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

13 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

awesome.  all we need to do is have Garrett borrow Mack's 2005 ipod. fuck this noise, he sucks as a coach, but I've seen nothing to say he doesn't treat all players equally. you think Belichick "relates".  guess Dez needs clicks.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

This is a post on a Cowboys board about an exchange between a member and an associate of his from Boston. Amusing and sad at the same time.

"With a business associate who is a huge Pats fan - but, a reasonable one and a genuine student of the game. When Dallas had the ball with 2:38 left, a full compliment of time outs and needing to score a TD to win - I made the remark that, "If Dak wants the money, all he's gotta do is go win it."

My friend said, and I quote; "There's no way the league will allow that to happen. The refs will see to it that Tom gets this win. It's been going on for years up here and we all know it. It's to the point where it's almost embarrassing." Three plays later the phantom tripping call -

His next remark was .. "See, I told ya. Dallas couldn't have come in here with a Hall of Fame team and won. It's really not any fun watching them play here in Foxboro .. the outcome is a foregone conclusion."

I officiated many seasons at the NCAA level and left because pressure was applied to, "ensure we had a good, entertaining game." I'll just leave it at that. I've always felt like the pros were above that because it's all about the money with no pretense but, it seems now there are other things at play ... personal agendas, manipulating outcomes for whatever reason.

After 53 years .. I'm just about done.

Now, I don't care what you think about this post as to its validity or my friends sincerity or whatever - all I'm doing is relaying an actual conversation."

The Pats 10-1 needed the win to keep home field advantage over the Ravens. More money for Foxborough, increased likelihood that America's other team gets another SB appearance with retiring hero Tom Brady, perhaps playing against Drew Brees. I think the NFL realizes they fucked up bad last year when they gave the Rams/Saints game to the Rams.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

awesome.  all we need to do is have Garrett borrow Mack's 2005 ipod. fuck this noise, he sucks as a coach, but I've seen nothing to say he doesn't treat all players equally. you think Belichick "relates".  guess Dez needs clicks.

Yeah it's laughable. The one guy getting fucked over the most by Garrett's idiocy is Jarwin. Next is probably Conor Williams who is having his potential career ruined by being played out of position. Both white. 

5 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Jesus Christ. There was no conspiracy here. Refs made a highly questionable call at a highly questionable time. That happens. It contributed to our loss but didn’t cause it. 

When the Cowboys have a more detail-oriented team with a coach that proves he has a pulse and a clue, then maybe conspiracy theorists will be right. But I doubt it, because we will be winning then. 

Also, Vic is to the Cowboys threads as Derka is to Horns hoops threads. Repetitive, nerdy and fat. 

my problem is not the conspiracy is that it is patently obvious Belichick mentioned the cowboys "tripping" to the refs and the refs complied by "looking" for it. twice there were BS tripping calls and only 5 tripping calls all season for the league on OL? you are telling me belichick didn't have anything to do with that? 

Good coaches do this all the time and Belichick is smart to do it.  our passive BS coach likely doesn't do it though.  fuck the guy isn't coaching on game day.  he might as well be in the refs ear for 60 minutes, attempting to make sure a) they don't fuck us b) get us a make up call if they do and c) tell them about shit the other team is doing illegally that goes uncalled.

both calls were huge in the game.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m saying nothing of the sort and if you read my Ticket thread commentary I totally disagree with Norm that Belichick DIDN’T do this. It’s right to. 

I was commenting on Vic’s post from a Cowboys board where the poster had a Boston associate that purports to bolster the idea that the NFL hands these games to the Pats. They most certainly do not. 

sorry the questions were meant to be rhetorical. no they don't hand the game to the pats but they make it damn hard when they make up drive killing and game killing calls due to a particular coach "getting the calls".  specifically very dubious if not outright wrong ones.

Actually, I think the fucking refs do have personal biases that bleed over into the game. For example, some jackass ref seeing a blocker get knocked backwards in the mud and trying to keep his footing while another blocker knocks a defender on top of him - seeing that as tripping is pure bullshit. And what about that New Orleans non call last year? Wasn't the ref from Los Angeles or something like that? How could he not fucking see such an egregious textbook display of interference. 

I think, without a doubt, that refs are told that if a game looks like it's getting out of hand, overlook a call or two on a floundering team. Keep the game interesting for the fans who are getting real sick of the NFL's boring product. And I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn that an official or two was taking money under the table to make a shit call like the one made last Sunday. Five tripping calls the entire season, and two are in one game, against the Cowboys = and one for sure wasn't tripping at all. It was indeed rubbing Cowboy fans face in shit. As a previous poster said, they could have called holding, but instead they pull that out of their asses.  Fuck these refs.

What about that call made on Dez in GB five years ago? Made by some lifelong Steelers fan in a replay booth. Fuck the NFL. 

I think it's pretty clear that not only do the Cowboys not call many QB run plays, they've flat coached him to make a throw instead of run.  Sure he's probably got in his head that he needs to not be too risky or he'll lose money, but after watching him play these 4 years, anyone acting like he's more concerned with "playing it safe" instead of trying to win, really have no idea what Dak is about.

Also, ya'll gotta go look at that 3rd down play he didn't run on.  I've seen guys like Bob Sturm break that play down from different angles now, and it's not as clear as it looked live that he would have gotten more than 2-3 yards.  He darn sure wasn't getting a first down unless he was turning into Marshawn Lynch or some shit.

But the overall topic of they should run him more is spot on.  But they have to design it like the Ravens did.