Your 10 favorite movies

TexArcher

fun looking through the thread...

this board really likes the Coen bros, PTA, and Tarantino, seems like in that order 😄

any/all of Goodfellas/Godfather I/II are probably on at least 85% of lists...as are Alien(s).

The Dark Night, Clint Eastwood, and Jaws probably round out the top picks.

In no particular order

A face in the crowd

strangelove

breaking away

hunt for red October

my favorite year

lock stock and two smoking barrels (several of those British gangster movies fit that role)

paths of glory    or   from here to eternity  

godfather 1/2

Big Lebowski

caine mutiny

That's 10, that are all probably at least 10 years old, and I could find 10 more with a little more thought. 

Edited by Onboard 2.0

10 hours ago, mchookem said:

fun looking through the thread...

this board really likes the Coen bros, PTA, and Tarantino, seems like in that order 😄

any/all of Goodfellas/Godfather I/II are probably on at least 85% of lists...as are Alien(s).

The Dark Night, Clint Eastwood, and Jaws probably round out the top picks.

Kubrick is also well represented.

32 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

That's 12.

Godfather 1, and 2 are the same movie or should be with a half hour intermission between the 2 acts.  

Paths of Glory, and From here to Eternity are 2, and I say they're a little interchangeable.  Gun to my head it's FHTE because the story is just so great, with so many fantastic stars, and character actors, at a pivotal point in our nations history.

20 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Paths of Glory, and From here to Eternity are 2, and I say they're a little interchangeable.

I have to argue with that.  From Here to Eternity is bombastic Americana Greatness.  Paths of Glory is Anglo-Kubrickian high art.

I screwed up royally by not putting From Here to Eternity.  I want a do over. Paths of Glory is my favorite war movie but From Here may be my favorite movie of all.

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

I have to argue with that.  From Here to Eternity is bombastic Americana Greatness.  Paths of Glory is Anglo-Kubrickian high art.

I screwed up royally by not putting From Here to Eternity.  I want a do over. Paths of Glory is my favorite war movie but From Here may be my favorite movie of all.

Yeah, it's definitely jingoistic, but it's one of if not the best of that brand, and it did capture a time in America at that pre WWII era. Yes, very different movies, but I like both almost as much as the other for very different reasons.  And to have FHTE as your favorite is very fair. It's a damned entertaining, and well made flick. 

1) Pan's Labyrinth

2) American Psycho

3) Oldboy (the original)

4) No Country for Old Men

5) Se7en

6) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

7) Mulholland Drive

8') Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

9) Blade Runner (final cut)

10) The Big Lewbowski

Were under consideration for the last couple of spots, but fell short: Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill V1, Inglorious Basterds, The Shining, 2001, Alien, Hereditary, The Handmaiden, Chinatown, Snatch, Donnie Darko, Eyes Wide Shut, Spirted Away, Black Swan

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/13/2019 at 4:51 PM, dogbreath said:

Breaker Morant - Court and war movie for one of the first colonial v. guerilla actions.  English hate the film and Australians honor it. 

Breaking Away - Funny, poignant and captures the magic of being someone else at 19.

Philadelphia Story - Full of rapid wit and comeuppances.

Chinatown - Huston is a perfect villain for this detective story.  And Nicholson and Dunaway are terrific.

Spinal Tap - Such a fine line between stupid and clever. 

Young Frankenstein - tough to decide between Blazing Saddles and this, but find this more consistent to the end.  

Melvin and Howard - Highlight is title characters singing 'bye bye blackbird' in the desert rain, but movie is packed with so much humanity.  

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf - Loved reading the play and love the movie and actors, but it could be replaced.  Japanese or Chinese 'To Live' movies or French 'Grand Highway'' are contenders. 

Trainspotting - like Breaking Away there are centrally four guys who figured out what to do at 19.  Read the book after seeing the movie. It was great too, but watching  the movie the first time was a shot of adrenaline and it still brings me joy. 

Matewan - Sayles fan and movie has his recurring actors, but this movie on WV union wars is a cut above his usual quality.  Hearing Hazel Dickens singing 'Hills of Galilee' is a treat. Became a Chris Cooper fan after this movie. 

Giving a small exposition for why these are my favorites. 

In an effort not to have a list filled with only PTA, QT and Marty, I limited myself to one movie per director. I'm sure I fucked up somewhere. In alphabetical order:

Bicycle Thieves - De Sica

Blue Velvet - Lynch

Breathless - Godard (close call over Le Mepris)

Do The Right Thing - Spike (close call with Malcolm X)  

Goodfellas - Scorsese (I really wanted to pick After Hours, but it has to be Goodfellas or Taxi Driver)

Inglorious Bastards - Tarantino (on any given day I might sub Pulp or Once Upon a Time. Or Jackie fucking Brown. Or cheat with True Romance)

M - Fritz Lang

On The Water Front - Kazan

Rear Window - Hitchcock (so hard. Rebecca, Psycho, NxNW, Notorious, etc.) 

There Will Be Blood - PTA (tough call for me over Phantom and The Master)

My 11th is The Good, the Bad and the Ugly or No Country for Old Men. Others that missed the cut: Badlands, Casablanca, Chinatown, Deer Hunter, Frances Ha, Godfather I and II, Lost In Translation, Manhattan/Annie Hall, Once Upon a Time in America, Rushmore, The Shining, The Third Man.

I have some movies that I love and watch every time they're on (see earlier mention of Shooter) but probably wouldn't make my top ten list. Not sure I can come up with 10.

GF I & II

Step Brothers

Back to the Future 

Billy Madison 

Marked for Death

Christmas Vacation 

Old School 

Yeah I'm pretty sophisticated.

Hard to narrow down, but I'll just go with the questioning from Mrs. BGH "How many times have you watched that?"..... (in no order)

It's A Wonderful Life

Saving Private Ryan

A Christmas Story

16 Candles

Breaking Away

Alien

Field of Dreams

No Country for Old Men

Rounders

The Great Escape

• Like 1