CowtownHorn

2020 Texas Rangers Offseason

No one knows. Obviously Bob & Ray are begging, but our state hasn’t exactly proven to be smart enough for it yet. 

Here’s Jeff Wilson on the fans & shit. 

Major League Baseball isn’t yet prepared to unveil its 60-game schedule for 2020 as it monitors COVID-19 spikes nationwide and considers if it would be safe to play games in certain cities.

That includes Arlington, where the Texas Rangers are dealing with their own outbreak in the offices at Globe Life Field. Nevertheless, the Rangers expect to open the season July 24 and hope to do so at their new $1.2 billion home with fans in the stands.

While MLB will be mindful of local ordinances, the league will have a say in that decision, too.

“The commissioner has made no decisions regarding permitting fans at games,” MLB said in a statement. “The decision will be based both on whether local health authorities approve fans to attend games and whether our medical advisors believe it is appropriate to do so.”

The statement appears to be a shift in position by MLB, which last week was leaning toward letting local health officials work with clubs on allowing fans while staying largely in the background. Last Wednesday, the Rangers said they were working toward a plan that would allow them to fill 50% of their 40,000 seats, per the current phase of the governor’s Reopen Texas plan.

By Friday, the number of positive COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations began to rise statewide and Gov. Greg Abbott ordered instituted rollback measures to the state’s reopening plan. Bars were closed, restaurant capacity was reduced to 50% and outside gatherings of more than 100 people without the approval of local officials were banned.

Sports venues can hold far more than 100 people, but the Reopen Texas task force did not make changes to guidelines for professional sports leagues.

Not only would fans be in Globe Life Field, so would ushers, concession workers, cooks, wait staff, security and others required to stage an MLB game.

The safety protocols MLB is taking for players and club personnel are extensive, as detailed in the league’s 113-page operations manual. Adding fans would make safety a massive undertaking.

“We’re working with the understanding that we could have fans in the building beginning on Opening Day,” Rangers executive vice president Rob Matwick said last week. “It is based on local jurisdiction, but we are also part of a league. They do have some input and we want that input.”

The original 2020 schedule called for the Rangers to open the season with four games at Seattle before returning for the home opener March 31. The quick trip was designed to give the Rangers time to iron out any wrinkles with their new home after two exhibition games there March 23-24.

A March 14 concert, the Chris Stapleton All-American Road Show, was also canceled.

Because of the shutdown caused by the coronavirus pandemic, the Rangers have nearly completed the punch list of unfinished items once the ballpark reached substantial completion in early March. They believe the shutdown has given them time to make Globe Life Park game-ready.

Players who live locally started working out at Globe Life Field in April, and the ballpark was the host for dozens of graduation ceremonies beginning in late May.

Last week, multiple employees who work in the Rangers’ offices attached to the ballpark tested positive for COVID-19. The offices were sanitized over the weekend will be closed to most employees until Wednesday while employees are tested.

No players, coaches or baseball operations personnel are among those who were infected. Spring training 2.0 begins Friday after all 55 players and coaches receive the results of the required intake testing for COVID-19.

Gonna post this here.

Some of you maybe aware of Skyler.  If he was in charge of the Rangers and Mavs unis I'd be a lot happier.  

Proceeds from these shirts go to benefit North Texas Food Bank and Bonton Farms which is an amazing org if you haven't heard of them.

I love the throwback logo.  Cheaper than anything you'll get at the fan shop

4 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Gonna post this here.

Some of you maybe aware of Skyler.  If he was in charge of the Rangers and Mavs unis I'd be a lot happier.  

Proceeds from these shirts go to benefit North Texas Food Bank and Bonton Farms which is an amazing org if you haven't heard of them.

I love the throwback logo.  Cheaper than anything you'll get at the fan shop

I'd love to get that powder blue version for Sunday games.  

I really hope MLB draws a line and says either fans in all or no fans at all. But I'll admit, it's for selfish reasons. I want to be there for the first game at Globe Life Field but I'm having second thoughts on showing up this summer. A new ballpark deserves a full stadium for game 1.

On 7/1/2020 at 7:28 PM, HRSchenker said:

I really hope MLB draws a line and says either fans in all or no fans at all. But I'll admit, it's for selfish reasons. I want to be there for the first game at Globe Life Field but I'm having second thoughts on showing up this summer. A new ballpark deserves a full stadium for game 1.

I think fans should show up at the old ballpark instead.