Dallas | Pizza

C-Man

Just tried Grimaldi’s.  Thanks for the rec @ztejas.  Place is legit.  By far the best chain and it’s not even close.  Hell, easily in the top 5 of non-chains.  Gotta fold it and the grease dripping everywhere is a beautiful thing.  Only complaint is that it didn’t come with a paper plate on a bustling street corner.

48 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Just tried Grimaldi’s.  Thanks for the rec @ztejas.  Place is legit.  By far the best chain and it’s not even close.  Hell, easily in the top 5 of non-chains.  Gotta fold it and the grease dripping everywhere is a beautiful thing.  Only complaint is that it didn’t come with a paper plate on a bustling street corner.

Thanks man, warms my heart.

Yeah, unfortunately we can't all live in NYC. 

That said - Grimaldi's is the closest you're going to get in the Metroplex. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

It’s not a non-chain.

Did I say it was a non-chain?  If so, I’m a dumbass.  Well, I’m probably a dumbass either way.  I meant to say it was a chain.  And that it is better than all the chains and probably in the conversation among the non-chains.  Whatever...happy holidays DDD.  Love you man

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, threesheets said:

Apologies for the shitty pic, but Grimaldi's pesto pizza is one of my favorite things to eat, anywhere.  Give me that over any neapolitan slice in town about 95/100 times, but I'm a NY style guy.

40712_1563386845647_7292324_n.jpg?_nc_ca

Damn never had that one but it looks great. I wonder if you can do half/half with the sauce. Prob not. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Anyone try this yet?  Looks like same concept as Brazilian Steakhouse (Texas de Brazil, Fogo, etc) only with pizza.  Design district where that Quill place used to be.  Really cool, failry upscale space.  If the pizza’s worth a fuck, I don’t see what could possibly go wrong.  I has intrigue

https://www.delucca.com/

On 2/24/2019 at 4:12 PM, Landomatic said:

Anyone try this yet?  Looks like same concept as Brazilian Steakhouse (Texas de Brazil, Fogo, etc) only with pizza.  Design district where that Quill place used to be.  Really cool, failry upscale space.  If the pizza’s worth a fuck, I don’t see what could possibly go wrong.  I has intrigue

https://www.delucca.com/

Sounds super dank and just $20 for your fill. Charcuterie? Lobster Bisque? All you can eat pizza?

Take my money.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, C-Man said:

This list fucking blows. Went to Midici the other night - the service was so embarrassingly bad I tipped $0. The pizza was fine. Shouldn't be on any top 10 list. 

Mod pizza? You shitting me?

Where is Cane Roso? Olivellas? Yeah it's a chain but Grimaldi's blows any of these places out of the water. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

This list fucking blows. Went to Midici the other night - the service was so embarrassingly bad I tipped $0. The pizza was fine. Shouldn't be on any top 10 list. 

Where is Cane Roso? Olivellas? Yeah it's a chain but Grimaldi's blows any of these places out of the water. 

Those are the two I specifically cited. I like Social Pie and it's close to our house but that's nowhere near Top 10 in town.

18 hours ago, C-Man said:

Well, I now know to never take anything Culture Map has to say seriously.  I assume that is a pay for play site.  Think I might have met the owner one night who admitted that to me.  Don't quote me on that because I can't really remember the name of it, but it sounds familiar.

Anyway, I haven't personally tried all those places but any list without Cane Roso, ZaLat and yes, even Grimaldi's, can lick my sweaty balls.

6 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Well, I now know to never take anything Culture Map has to say seriously.  I assume that is a pay for play site.  Think I might have met the owner one night who admitted that to me.  Don't quote me on that because I can't really remember the name of it, but it sounds familiar.

Anyway, I haven't personally tried all those places but any list without Cane Roso, ZaLat and yes, even Grimaldi's, can lick my sweaty balls.

GD, I forgot ZaLat.

On 4/17/2019 at 12:06 PM, ztejas said:

Culture map is a fucking joke. Half their articles start out with “Dallas restaurant open/closes” and you read the article to find out it’s some chain in Haslet. 

Depends on the pizza. If it's shitty fast food pizza then ranch all day. 

If it's something good or thin that obviously doesn't need it that isn't too greasy (Cane Rosso, Grimaldis) then I'm going no ranch. 

A ZaLat type pizza though falls somewhere inbetween - I feel like their siracha ranch isn't necessary but is pretty damn good on a regular pepperoni. 

They moved from Casa Linda due to the high rent. It's interesting because the owners of it also own Benny's and they added on to the back of Benny's and then moved Lover's Pizza into the old Benny's spot while Benny's now is in the new addition that's pretty small. If you like Lover's Pizza, give Tony's at NW Hwy and Easton a try some weekday for lunch. Their 2 slices + drink and garlic knots for $5 is a damn steal. 

On 4/22/2019 at 3:35 PM, Sparky said:

It's to the North in Addison but Zoli's is good stuff.  It's the Cane Rosso folks and relocated from Oak Cliff.  The have a good weekday lunch special for a personal pizza and salad for $13.  I hear a lot of good things about their cheeseburger too but that's a different thread.

https://www.zolispizza.com/

In that same area I've always liked Zio Al's. Used to pick up from their old location in the hood off Midway/rosemeade when I lived in far West Plano. The Greek salad and pizza at the addison one are good. 

• 1 month later...

A group of us went to Pizza Testa tonight. It's right across the street from the Granada in the old Wayward Sons place. It was pretty dead but the pizza was pretty, pretty good IMO. Our waiter was a slight dick-bag, though. Anyway, I recommend it. Not sure how long it will be there based on last night's crowd, though.

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Is Serious Pizza in Deep Ellum still around?  That place is great.  Especially if you have a big group - that giant ass pizza that comes on a TV tray is fucking awesome.

And they have Mickey's, which takes me back to my freshman year of high school.

Mickey's (and MD 20/20) are no longer a selling point for me.

On 6/20/2019 at 11:03 AM, C-Man said:

A group of us went to Pizza Testa tonight. It's right across the street from the Granada in the old Wayward Sons place. It was pretty dead but the pizza was pretty, pretty good IMO. Our waiter was a slight dick-bag, though. Anyway, I recommend it. Not sure how long it will be there based on last night's crowd, though.

Glad I waited to comment.  I'd been to the one original location in Frisco a couple of times and it was just decent both times.  But I went to the Dallas location for lunch yesterday and the pizza was freaking fantastic. Highly recommend the "Rodfather" (and add pesto).

It was pretty dead in there when I went as well. Hope it picks up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Man, I haven't had it in awhile, but Zalat's NY pepperoni might be the best pie in the city.
As a fan of pizza that folds. 

For me simple works best. Thin crust that’s crisp on the bottom but chewy in the middle. Fresh mozzarella topped with pepperoni and sprinkled with fresh basil. My all time favorite is Crudo in Frisco. Excellent crust and cooked in a wood fired oven.55fce2d8a95a5cac6fc272e02c841aea.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
On 4/22/2019 at 3:35 PM, Sparky said:

It's to the North in Addison but Zoli's is good stuff.  It's the Cane Rosso folks and relocated from Oak Cliff.  The have a good weekday lunch special for a personal pizza and salad for $13.  I hear a lot of good things about their cheeseburger too but that's a different thread.

https://www.zolispizza.com/

Staying in Addison for the rest of the week and had this tonight.  Shit was insanely good.  I'd probably rank it #1 right now.  Zalat used to be my go-to in Dallas, bit this was better.

Any other Addison must try's while I'm up here?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Staying in Addison for the rest of the week and had this tonight.  Shit was insanely good.  I'd probably rank it #1 right now.  Zalat used to be my go-to in Dallas, bit this was better.

Zoli's is bad ass. Went for the first time 2-3 months ago. @mdmost has raved about it forever.

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

Zoli's is bad ass. Went for the first time 2-3 months ago. @mdmost has raved about it forever.

For sure. It’s not quite the same as it was in bishop arts though. Not better or worse necessarily, just different.

I don’t know if this was the case before the move, but you can get some of cane rosso’s off menu pizzas (honey badger/bastard) at Zolis. I think the Zolis style holds the toppings for them better. 

11 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Not necessarily must tries but I like Nate's for Cajun, it's a really laid back atmosphere and right across the street from Zoli's.  There's also Ida Claire which is a really popular spot, food is good and they got a good drink menu.  Also Gloria's and Neighborhood Services.  But since this is the pizza thread I've said too much and must stop now before I'm launched into orbit.

Edited by Sparky