Patrick Bateman

Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

11 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

You keep repeating this despite the fact that it hasn't been true in at least 2 years. And especially not the year your referencing. 

The ROI on this Oline has been fucking garbage. We went all in because we thought we needed some great wall. Used so many high draft picks and extended every one of them to huge draft picks. The percentage of the cap we pay to our OL is the most in the league and by a good margin (at least it was this way a few years ago). This OL has not been dominant since 2016. Since then, it's fell off. Tyron getting hurt. Frederick out for a whole season and coming back weaker than he was. Martin getting injured. Connor being terrible. You don't need to try and get a All Pro at every OL position to have a good line. For some reason they get a pass and some people keep thinking they are great. They are average these days but we are paying them to be All Pro great.

3 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

His agency (CAA) is the Scott Boris of the NFL. No way they allow him to take anything below market value. 

it’s not the agent.  it’s dak.  if dak wants to take below market value it doesn’t matter who his agent is, he can tell them to do what he says.  and for the record I don’t think dak should take below market value, as the going rate for a shit quarterback is around $12-15MM per year, which seems perfectly fair. 

In 2018 they were a bottom 5 OL in sack rate. 

because of the quarterback. 

yeah, but there's a hellova Johnny Walker Blue tab yet to be paid...

Holy shit at the outlier Cowboys.  they wasted the living hell outta cheap snaps on Jason fucking Garrett.

Edited by Iceman

Yep while we're way the fuck under the cap we have a shitload of free agents. We have our ork cut out just to fill out a 53 man roster.  

14 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Pretty sure Drew Brees did just that a few years ago. 

In 2012 he publicly threatened to hold out after being hit with the franchise tag in March but agreed to terms before training camp began. I think the same thing happened in 2016. He's come the closest I can remember of any QB but he never actually held out any of camp as far as I remember. 

Most likely the same thing happens here and Dak gets a new 35-36 a year deal in mid July. 

Edited by Junior Miller

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Scott Linehan is being hired at LSU to be their passing game coordinator.

He was pass happy in Detroit. I firmly believe that Garrett's conservative nature was Linehan's biggest issue in Dallas. Afterall, his first year in Dallas was great and fairly innovative. And he was part of the staff for a decent run in Detroit when they lost to the Saints in the playoffs. 

39 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

He was pass happy in Detroit. I firmly believe that Garrett's conservative nature was Linehan's biggest issue in Dallas. Afterall, his first year in Dallas was great and fairly innovative. And he was part of the staff for a decent run in Detroit when they lost to the Saints in the playoffs. 

I can see that. I was not the biggest fan of Linehan as he sometimes became waaaay too pass happy inside the redzone when we had Zeke. I specifically remember Seattle 2017 when we needed that game to stay alive. We got inside the 5 and we passed 3 times in a row.

But in the end, Garrett handcuffed him the same way he did Kellen Moore. He was god awful and in the end, there was no more coaches to be sacrificed for his inept ability to coach.

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

And just like that, LSU goes back to the stone age offensively.

Wasn't Linehan a pass happy guy in Detroit? I think that is his true identity. If this is what LSU wants to keep doing, he should fit. I'm sure that is one the reasons they went after him.

People forget that Garrett was once considered pass happy until he wasn't. Demarco Murray averaged damn near 5 ypc while Romo was chunking it around nearly 40 times a game until Romo started getting hurt and Linehan arrived. More than anything Garrett's biggest failing is his lack of adaptability and being slow to needed change. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

People forget that Garrett was once considered pass happy until he wasn't. Demarco Murray averaged damn near 5 ypc while Romo was chunking it around nearly 40 times a game until Romo started getting hurt and Linehan arrived. More than anything Garrett's biggest failing is his lack of adaptability and being slow to needed change. 

Our coaching staffs under him had zero clue how to adapt and adjust in game. They had one single gameplan on both sides of the ball and that was it. If it didn't work, oh well. They were going to keep at it and hope for the best. Just terrible.

Absolutely no reason to sign Byron. He's a average at best corner with no playmaking skills at all. He's a poor man's Brandon Carr. Draft his replacement and move on.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

We wouldn't need RQ if the league would stop bullying Randy with their BS indefinite suspension.  Indefinite is unacceptable and is prob because they are too incompetent to figure out actual timelines for punishment. 

15 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Absolutely no reason to sign Byron. He's a average at best corner with no playmaking skills at all. He's a poor man's Brandon Carr. Draft his replacement and move on.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

except for his entire career at cornerback he was coached by a jackass who taught them to not play the ball but instead face guard the man. 

He'll never be even decent at playing the ball but there's a lot of value in a guy who can just blanket someone and not give up much. Especially when they have zero CBs to replace him. 

It's why 2019 was the last shot under this group. The talent level and depth goes to shit big time starting now. And they didn't even make the playoffs with a loaded roster. 

Edited by Junior Miller

4 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

except for his entire career at cornerback he was coached by a jackass who taught them to not play the ball but instead face guard the man. 

He'll never be even decent at playing the ball but there's a lot of value in a guy who can just blanket someone and not give up much. Especially when they have zero CBs to replace him. 

It's why 2019 was the last shot under this group. The talent level and depth goes to shit big time starting now. And they didn't even make the playoffs with a loaded roster. 

Is he blanketing the guy or does our secondary suck so much they just find easier targets and not throwing his way? Huge difference. He has 2 whole picks his entire 5 years. Sorry, I am not paying big money to a guy who maybe can cover receivers. I pay big money to a DB who can make his mark on the game and make some plays. Maybe it was the coaching. But I am not risking a big payday and hoping a new staff can make him make plays out there. Another team can pay him and find out. We have more pressing needs than Byron Jones. He should not even be on the radar to bring back. Strengthen the DT and safety positions in the draft.

This offense needs another WR maybe but as is, they have enough there. But dumb fucks don't realize this defense/special teams is so god awful, they have a negative effect on the offense. When you get zero help with field position or short fields or heaven forbid one of those units scoring points themselves, you ask the offense to drive the length of the field every god damn time and have little to no room for error.

But the backwoods morons will just be like "hurrrr durrrr Dak sucks. Replace himz and we winz!!". How about fixing this god awful defense and special teams and actually have them contribute and make plays. But no, they will just continue blaming Dak because he can't drive for 4-5 80-85yd TD drives every single game.

The Ticket was talking about Jones this morning and apparently going back to 1970 all CBs with at least 70 starts have at least 5 career interceptions except 1, and that is Byron Jones with 2.

4 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

We wouldn't need RQ if the league would stop bullying Randy with their BS indefinite suspension.  Indefinite is unacceptable and is prob because they are too incompetent to figure out actual timelines for punishment. 

I like randy but I don't think he's ready to fill RQ's role as an every down DE.  randy would be great as a situational pass rusher and I think he's still good for 10 sacks if he plays 16 games.  incidentally, roger goodell can go fuck himself.

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

The Ticket was talking about Jones this morning and apparently going back to 1970 all CBs with at least 70 starts have at least 5 career interceptions except 1, and that is Byron Jones with 2.

maybe QBs just respect him more...

11224930054_5b4556290e_z.jpg

So far the 2019 draft was a huge pile of shit.

NFL.com gives 2019 Dallas Cowboys rookie class the worst grade in the NFC East by far

The Cowboys are usually a good drafting team, that wasn’t the case in 2019, at least so far.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2020/2/12/21133426/nfl-com-gives-2019-dallas-cowboys-rookie-class-the-worst-grade-in-the-nfc-east-by-far

dallas.png

Tony Pollard is exhibit A as to the dumb fuckery that is the Jones Clan.  Thanks for trying to rewrite Back to the Future Cowboys-style.

Not sure what your issue with Pollard is, he showed what he can do with very limited touches...I hope we see more of him.

But when you trade your first round pick, and your next 2 picks either don't play or play very limited snaps, then no shit it wasn't great.

51 minutes ago, Drew said:

Not sure what your issue with Pollard is, he showed what he can do with very limited touches...I hope we see more of him.

But when you trade your first round pick, and your next 2 picks either don't play or play very limited snaps, then no shit it wasn't great.

Especially when the guy you traded the pick for may not be around next year. I wouldn't be shocked if they let Cooper walk. Wouldn't be that upset, either, considering his long history of disappearing for chunks of seasons and pumping up his stats in a couple of meaningless games.

On 2/11/2020 at 9:09 PM, futureman said:

b/t $37M-$40M range”

un-fucking-believable 

spacer.png

3 hours ago, DougO said:

considering his long history of disappearing for chunks of seasons and pumping up his stats in a couple of meaningless games.

dak?

5 hours ago, Drew said:

exactly.  tony pollard is exhibit A as to the idiocy of paying a RB 90M dollars.

Ah gotcha.  I wouldn't disagree.  I think Zeke is unique and has the best overall skillset(including blocking).  But 14 mil a year for a RB is crazy. 

People are upset about how much Dak is getting when it's Zeke and half the OL making top of their position money that's the real issue.  Most good teams do it without super high priced OL(at least not at 3 of the 5 positions) and the top paid RB.

It's 4 of the 5 OL making crazy money right? Tyron, Frederick, Martin, and now Collins. That's insane especially when they're probably 10-15th best in the league now. It's almost like the team is assembled by people that don't know what they're doing. 

Bad contracts, overpaid QB who is good but isn't elite, and the last 3 drafts being horrible is what is going to kill this team over the next few years

30 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

It's 4 of the 5 OL making crazy money right? Tyron, Frederick, Martin, and now Collins. That's insane especially when they're probably 10-15th best in the league now. It's almost like the team is assembled by people that don't know what they're doing. 

Bad contracts, overpaid QB who is good but isn't elite, and the last 3 drafts being horrible is what is going to kill this team over the next few years

And that is the reason the Cowboys cannot sniff a Super Bowl.  They have people in charge who think they know what they are doing.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports Teddy Bridgewater is expected to have a "strong market" in free agency and could land a multi-year deal, paying him around $30 million per year.

LOL

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

Dak doesn't deserve even 27 mil a year tbh.

Define 'deserve'. The guy in Philly who has taken a total of 4 snaps in the playoffs and his team actually played better with his backup on the sidelines got $32million a year. Dak is better than Wentz.

$27mill and less isn't getting you shit for a QB any longer. Do y'all understand how a market works? It isn't what you think someone deserves or not. Guess what? Shit costs more these days in the past. Across the board. NFL isn't immune to that. Surly members do not set the market price. If middle of the road QBs are getting $32 a year, then the price starts there for Dak.

And in a couple of years, Dak's salary won't mean shit. Seeing as the cap continues to rise and all the contracts after his will be bigger. And his percentage against the cap will rise. 

What would Jimmy Johnson do?

1. Trade Dak and #17 to Miami for #5 and 4th rounder
2. Use #5 to draft Tua
3. Sign Tom Brady to 2 year deal
4. Super Bowl

2 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Trade Dak and #17 to Miami for #5 and 4th rounder

miami is not dropping a dozen spots in the draft for one year of an overpaid replacement level qb. 

2 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

What would Jimmy Johnson do?

1. Trade Dak and #17 to Miami for #5 and 4th rounder
2. Use #5 to draft Tua
3. Sign Tom Brady to 2 year deal
4. Super Bowl

He would definitely shake things up. Possibly trade/replace some of our overpaid/overrated OLine.

Edited by Pam Cummings