2020 (for 2019) Income Tax Thread

If the property was placed in service as a rental in the same year he disposed of it, (i.e. sold it), then he would not claim depreciation on it. Assuming this took place in more than one year, since he didn't successfully rent it, it may not have been placed in service. Figuring that out would require him to work with a knowledgeable tax pro. But yes, if he took depreciation on it, he might have to recapture the "unrecaptured section 1250" gain.

That's a good idea.  Also, I've maxed out my 401K but my wife's acct is not maxed. I assume I can do the same?

Too late to contribute to hers for 2019. Only option is HSA at this point. At least that's my understanding. I miscalculated on an inherited pension lump sum and it's too late to lower my taxable income at this point even though we had room to do so in my wife's deferred account. Lesson learned.

On 2/14/2020 at 12:39 PM, Okie State said:

Too late to contribute to hers for 2019. Only option is HSA at this point. At least that's my understanding. I miscalculated on an inherited pension lump sum and it's too late to lower my taxable income at this point even though we had room to do so in my wife's deferred account. Lesson learned.

You can still contribute for 2019 to an IRA and defer the income tax.   

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Well at least you now have an extra 90 days to pay up.

Is that official?  Even though I don't need to use that 90 days, I'm going to just in case as part of the relief package there's something in there about erasing taxes owed beyond what's collected.  Yeah, dare to dream but if it's stupid, bet on Trump to do it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...