Walden Ponderer

2020 Gardening: digging up some new dirt on an old hobby

25 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Pato, you should do something about that powdery mildew on your plants, fence, and neighbor's house.

It’s sevin dust. Town has a little insect plague issue. 

Well the snow blanket insulated things on Monday night, but last night my evening spray down didn’t work, and everything turned green/brown and droopy. Sucks. 

I have one of those big plastic space bags filled with a couple of old sheets, a frost blanket, and an old ratty Barney comforter that was one of the kids when they were little. Every cool season I pull it out onto the back porch and if we've got bad weather coming then I throw the stuff on the plants while it's still light. I've got some discard bricks to weight it down from the wind. Works pretty well. At the end of the season I throw it all in the washer, fold it up and store it back in the vacuum bag in the garage. It doesn't take too long unless it's a little blustery, but even then, a couple of clothespins until stuff has the bricks on it and it's good to go. Saved a couple of plants that are iffy for our zone last year. I'm not sure if the sheets would work for your temps, but I also have mulch down so I don't need quite as much protection for the leaves.

Had a cool front coming in this evening that looks like it will end this hot streak and keep temps in the 80's, so I left work early to plant starters of 4 varieties of lettuce and 2 kinds of cauliflower. Then I planted some white winter squash seeds. Not sure if there is enough time for them but going to try. Trimmed up tomato plants and put out fertilizer. This rain over the next couple of days of should do the plants good and soak in the fertilizer on the established veggies.

They aren't. Yet. They will take over all space you have if you don't cut them back. Which is perfect, because the newest leaves are tender and are a very popular asian stir fry vegetable.

22 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

They aren't. Yet. They will take over all space you have if you don't cut them back. Which is perfect, because the newest leaves are tender and are a very popular asian stir fry vegetable.

damn good to know, will stir fry this week