Lat22

2020 NASCAR Thread

I didn't even remember the race until about 11pm Sunday night.  I guess I'm not all the way back yet.

Saw where the next gen car is going to have a single center lug vs 5 lug nuts.  Just doesn't sit right with me.  I'll see myself out and go yell at a cloud.

In case you've ever wanted an infographic poster of racetracks with a feature allowing you to scratch off the tracks you've been to, here's your chance. 

It doesn't perfectly track with (haha) the Cup schedule for this year (or any year in my memory) but it's got a few Xfinity and Truck Series-specific tracks (Mosport, RoadAmerica, Eldora, Iowa, etc.) that add to the variety instead of just a bunch of cookie cutter tri-ovals. 

https://popchart.co/products/stock-car-racing-scratch-off-chart

Use "DEAL-EARNHARDT" for 20% off ($60 framed, shipped). 

In what can only be expected when the wizards at NASCAR bump up against the Brain Geniuses in Miami, it appears that the initial press release was unclear - Atlanta and Homestead are both currently still happening but without any fan attendance. 

Did anyone catch the e-race on FS1? I missed it, but apparently it was a huge hit. Real drivers all playing the same racing sim with live pbp.

Yeah, we really enjoyed it. Some expected hiccups and growing pains like when Jimmie was doing about 130 in the middle groove at one point - apparently he thought he was in the pit at the time, or that they were under caution or some other obvious disconnection with (virtual) reality. 

And it was difficult keeping track of who still had "resets" left and who didn't, but it was a lot of fun, especially with the different drivers they were able to check in on periodically. Bowyer was the perfect guy to feature prominently. 

They are about to have another race here in a few minutes from Kansas.   Go to twitch.tv and search for the replacements

I used to race online all the time back back before it came under the iracing brand.   It was a fun way to kill some time and drink some beer.   I still run every now and then but not nearly enough to hang with the big dogs anymore.   

You could definitely tell guys like JJ and Bowyer didn't have much online racing experience.   

Qualifying for the second NASCAR iRacing Pro Invitational Series race at the virtual Texas Motor Speedway will be live streamed Sunday on eNASCAR.com/live, it was announced Saturday morning.

The eNASCAR Pro Invitational Qualifier will take place Sunday at 10:55 a.m. ET and feature 34 drivers from the NASCAR Xfinity Series, Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series and regional series. There are currently four transfer spots available in the 35-car field.

Sunday’s O’Reilly Auto Parts 125 will be 125 laps. It’ll air live on FOX/FS1 (subject to change) and the FOX Sports App at 1 p.m. ET.

Timmy Hill wins Texas irace. I watched this and it's clear he knows his shit. The only pro (now ex) in his league imho is Jr. This is an entirely different kind of racing altogether.

maxresdefault.jpg

Texas World Speedway: Former NASCAR track being torn down

Texas World Speedway speedway opened in 1969. The 2-mile oval sits in College Station, Texas.

The track is one of only 7 ovals in the United States that are over 2 miles in length. Daytona, Talladega, Indianapolis, Pocono, Auto Club, Michigan are the other six.

The track is a mirror of Michigan International Speedway. It was owned by Larry LoPatin and American Raceways Inc.

Bobby Isaac drove it to victory lane in the first NASCAR Cup Series event held at the track in 1969.

Texas-World-Speedway-1985.jpg

In 1980, the USAC series was set to host the Texas 200 at the track. The event was canceled as the complex had become worn out.

In 1981, the final NASCAR race was hosted at the speedway. Benny Parsons drove it to the win. NASCAR never returned.

In 1991, Ishin Speed Sport, Inc purchased the facility. The new owners opened repaving project to bring it back to life. ARCA returned to the track but they left after the 1993 event.

In 2017, the track was officially closed.

Texas-World-Speedway-Turn-1.jpg

In 2018, a new project was planned for the property. Southern Pointe announced a new green-space and residential project. 1,400 homes are planned to go up on 550 acres.

A new billboard was installed at the gate. Homes would take over the roaring race track.

In 2019, the first homes went up on the grounds.

This year, the complex is in the process of being torn down.

In late February, cranes moved into the speedway. The demotlition was underway and the press box was torn down.

A hill on the property is set to be leveled. 450,000 cubic yards of dirt will be used to make future phases of the housing development possible.

Sections of the speedway are set to remain for the next 4 or so years. But, over time, it will all be erased and replaced with residential residences.