Mythic Quest: Ravens Banquet (Apple TV+)

Doc Reeves

Anyone else checking this out? 

Just made it thru the pilot of Rob McElhenney’s new series on Apple TV. The acting is solid as is the cinematography, but the jokes come off like a neutered ‘Community’ and story lines seemed a bit dated.

Im going in for a few more episodes tonight and am hoping it gets better because I like Rob and David Hornsby (Rickety Cricket)

I thought it was a pretty clever look at the game industry, made by Always Sunny in Philly alums. F Murray Abraham is very funny, and episode 5 is actually pretty surprising in a good way. Best thing AppleTV+ has done so far I think and it has potential to last a few seasons.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw the hubbub about Season 2 coming out, so we took a peek at the pilot and enjoyed it. Started Ep 2, wife fell asleep as usual, so I’ll have to give a more extensive review later 😜 jk.

Agreed that F. Murray Abraham was terrific. When one of the testers complained about him, and derisively said, “He’s like 80!” as an insult,  I thought, “Shit, he might be 80?” So I paused it, asked Alexa, and sure enough, he was indeed 80 when the episode first aired last year. So, kind of an inside joke, tip of the hat to Abraham by the writers. Go you, F.

And I was about to respectfully call Sejjr a loon for saying this is the best show Apple+ has produced, because that’s Ted Lasso, but TL hadn’t debuted yet when he made that comment 😀.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Needs more laughs. I've watched it all, and will continue to, but it's not as good as I think it could be. The lesbians aren't funny unless they're being made fun of, the Pudi storyline about giving himself up to the feds instead of turning on his brother made no sense, and there are too many unfunny side characters. I do like some of the leads.

I'll give it another go for S3 and hope more Community appears instead of more MASH. Worried Apple will take a good premise and soften it too much, like it appears they've done with chick lasso.

You know do realize that Apple, Netflix, Amazon etc doesn’t tell the creators what to do right? As far as creative/story telling aspects… I don’t think the level of micromanaging that some of y’all think exits is there. 

Edited by YChang

24 minutes ago, YChang said:

You know do realize that Apple, Netflix, Amazon etc doesn’t tell the creators what to do right? As far as creative/story telling aspects… I don’t think the level of micromanaging that some of y’all think exits is there. 

You think "notes" and casting meddling don't exist? That the money doesn't have a say? You can already tell the difference between an Apple and a Netflix show just by the production quality/aesthetic.

29 minutes ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

You think "notes" and casting meddling don't exist? That the money doesn't have a say? You can already tell the difference between an Apple and a Netflix show just by the production quality/aesthetic.

Certainly but in my opinion not to the degree you think it does. Mainly it's also a two way street. The streaming companies want talent to sign deals with them. You think creatives will want to sign or stick around if there's evidence of them meddling all the time? 

9 hours ago, YChang said:

Certainly but in my opinion not to the degree you think it does. Mainly it's also a two way street. The streaming companies want talent to sign deals with them. You think creatives will want to sign or stick around if there's evidence of them meddling all the time? 

Brother from Ranchi, you are wrong! No point being a studio exec if you cant screw with the creatives. Why work so hard to not abuse the powers when you finally get them!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...