Jump to content
C-Man

Tell me about Charleston

Recommended Posts

All Charleston is missing is an actual economy.  I personally know dozens of people that would move there tomorrow if they could find a comparable job.  If I were tech company, I'd put a satellite office there of some kind.  

Also recommended would be one the of walking tours of South of Broad area.  I liked the walking better than the carriage tours because they're more detailed and intimate and you get details of individual houses and churches.  Liked that a lot.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2018 at 10:08 AM, Elvis Presto said:

Hello friends,

I can answer all of your Charleston questions.  For dinner if you want the real Charleston style meal go to 82 Queen and get she crab soup.  Leons is a good spot and the fried chicken there is fantastic.  I live here so i avoid places like Poogans porch.  Husk is usually hard to get a reservation unless you book pretty far in advance.  For drinks and looking at hot girls go to Stars bar roof top or Vendue rooftop.  Another cool spot with a sweet courtyard is Blind Tiger Pub.  Lewis bbq is great and Home Team bbq is right next to them.  Home Team is a good spot to drink at and the wings are their best thing.  Also, right near Lewis is a place called Edmunds Oast.  They brew beer and its got a sweet little outdoor seating courtyard.  There are a ton of cocktail bars on Upper King if you like fancy drinks.  Take a trip out to Sullivans island and eat at Poe's Tavern.  

Speaking of 82 Queen, there's a hotel directly next to it called The Elliott House.  Great place to stay and very intimate with a court yard such but their room service comes from 82 Queen.  On the other side of the hotel is Husk so there's that as well.  Highly recommend Elliott House as a play to stay.

  • Hook 'Em 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

All Charleston is missing is an actual economy.  I personally know dozens of people that would move there tomorrow if they could find a comparable job.  If I were tech company, I'd put a satellite office there of some kind.  

Also recommended would be one the of walking tours of South of Broad area.  I liked the walking better than the carriage tours because they're more detailed and intimate and you get details of individual houses and churches.  Liked that a lot.  

There are companies moving here.  Volvo and Mercedes are building plants north of Charleston and boeing is here but for the most part there aren't a lot of good jobs.  Lots of lawyers, doctors, port stuff, fishing and food & bev.  My wife works for a defense contractor and there is a decent amount of that going on bc of the naval weapons station.  

Also, there are a ton of yankees here.  Half of ohio and the northeast are moving here.

Edited by Elvis Presto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Elvis Presto said:

There are companies moving here.  Volvo and Mercedes are building plants north of Charleston and boeing is here but for the most part there aren't a lot of good jobs.  Lots of lawyers, doctors, port stuff, fishing and food & bev.  My wife works for a defense contractor and there is a decent amount of that going on bc of the naval weapons station.  

Also, there are a ton of yankees here.  Half of ohio and the northeast are moving here.

Took this picture last fall.  The historical irony did not escape me:

23659242_10214514829284737_3448716694243

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fucking trifling Yankees. Three of my freshman roommates were actually from Mass. I still keep up with one of then who lives up here close to me in D.C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sullivan's Island beaches blow, IMHO. Flat and waveless. Folly is awesome. Great beaches and waves. Can and should be surfed. Another not to be missed restaraunt fave of ours is Wild Olive. Some of the best food I've ever eaten and is our #1 followed closely by SNOB as #2. Obstinate Daughter is sister restarunt but we've not been there yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have not seen Halls Chophouse mentioned yet. 

Yes, I know most don’t go to Charleston for a steak but the place has a great vibe and the service is outstanding. 

 

Homimy Grill is worth the hype too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hookem2102 said:

Have not seen Halls Chophouse mentioned yet. 

Yes, I know most don’t go to Charleston for a steak but the place has a great vibe and the service is outstanding. 

 

Homimy Grill is worth the hype too. 

Definitely a passable steak.

 

My roommate used to cook at Hominy. I'm surprised that place is still going.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hookem2102 said:

Have not seen Halls Chophouse mentioned yet. 

Yes, I know most don’t go to Charleston for a steak but the place has a great vibe and the service is outstanding. 

 

Homimy Grill is worth the hype too. 

Halls may be my fav place to go in town.  I don't usually recommend it for friends visiting bc it's a steakhouse and we've got plenty of those in Texas.  It is a fucking awesome place to eat, drink and see hot women.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the boat to see High Water Fest from the water

 

568602795f78a61d1ea60b0ffffff8ec.jpg

 

f1ab21c2177f51a9659c40387c0f5708.jpg

 

Old 97’s and Brandi Carlisle from the water

 

171590768733aca393aa781b8adfa7bd.jpg

 

dcb63a6cab41771e9015d3e9e570eefd.jpg

 

4a8009bf20913b7017a07354e15eef22.jpg

 

Cool little cemetery next to a church in historic area

 

bfadf7951a66169f9ec87d34726afd95.jpg

 

1c91ebe8ce067585fd0206a3725d0af1.jpg

 

371fb82024877889934aa6505ee7c35c.jpg

 

fb9b435f522a869c5651a6323bde188b.jpg

 

e6ce8647cf73e0ff40c4a2ff27711846.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

High Water Fest

44028264c507a92a772df069aa5e0727.jpg

Shakey

0285e6e0eca4abdb8a03bf6e063122b7.jpg

Hamilton Leithauser

660e94b27a5c23ca876033bb4569bae3.jpg

Band of Horses ended the festival but I think I only have video of that.

5deaf7c2b76d631ad7301d50391055b0.jpg

Sea scallop Po-boy at 167 Raw

6bc6de7bf7534e7f04d6dbb4a561d60b.jpg

5306f6e4d5421dcda7aaf1d9996bb38f.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nice pics.  That park music venue on the Cooper is awesome.


Yes, it is. Love how our local friends say it’s pronounced the “Cuppa” River!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After looking at some of the pics this is on my list to go to for our 10 yr anniversary. How is it to visit in late September?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, utee05 said:

After looking at some of the pics this is on my list to go to for our 10 yr anniversary. How is it to visit in late September?

Probably best time of year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went last weekend for 1st time and went to the following bars and restaurants:

167 Raw, Husk, Vendu Bar, Blind Tiger. Home Team BBQ, SNOB, Cocktail Club, Palace Hotel, Uptown Social, 82 Queen, Hanks, Prohibition, The Commodore and Hominy Grill.

I’d like to go back soon. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this place is now at the top of the list to go to in late September. Any recs on places to stay? The moja arts festival will be going on the week we plan to go so hotels seem to be more than usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, utee05 said:

Well this place is now at the top of the list to go to in late September. Any recs on places to stay? The moja arts festival will be going on the week we plan to go so hotels seem to be more than usual.

Market Pavilion Hotel or the Spectator.  Very different but can't go wrong with either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Booked a last minute trip to Charleston for four days next week for the wife's birthday (still no pics).  Looking forward to it.  It's a way over due trip, we have not been anywhere sans-kids since last summer.  For once, we have no big set plans other then relaxing, eating at some hopefully killer restaurants and drinking all day long.  Going to hit up the Ordinary, Husk, Magnolia, Lewis BBQ, Peninsula grill, Henry's, Blind Tiger.  I'll try to report back details.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PorscheGuy said:

Booked a last minute trip to Charleston for four days next week for the wife's birthday (still no pics).  Looking forward to it.  It's a way over due trip, we have not been anywhere sans-kids since last summer.  For once, we have no big set plans other then relaxing, eating at some hopefully killer restaurants and drinking all day long.  Going to hit up the Ordinary, Husk, Magnolia, Lewis BBQ, Peninsula grill, Henry's, Blind Tiger.  I'll try to report back details.  

You are doing yourself a disservice if you don't make it to Leon's Oyster House. Best fried chicken I've ever had. Go to One Broad in the mornings for your caffeine/breakfast fix.

We are going back in mid-April for High Water Fest again. Cannot wait.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charleston was a cool city.  it was almost empty last week, which was nice.  For anyone who is looking at going, HUSK is a absolute must.  I had very very high expectations and it exceeded them in every way.  The food is straight forward, completely "low country"  and phenomenal.  Liked it so much I canceled our reservations somewhere else and went back the following night.  They were fully booked, so we ate at the bar upstairs and they still killed it with their bar menu.  

Peninsula grill was really good too.  Thanks for the rec on the coconut cake, it lived up to the hype too.  

It's nuts to think of all the james beard level chefs packed into that small of a footprint.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wife and I booked a trip for June 3-6. Never been before but our other trip got canceled and SC is mostly open for business and visitors.

We are staying at The Restoration and I booked dinner reservations for Magnolias, FIG, and SNOB. I’ve made note of many places in this thread for breakfast, brunch, lunch, day drinking, cocktails, and nightcaps.

Current plan is to rent a car, if for no other reason than to spare us getting in an Uber to/from the airport. I also figure the car would be needed if we decide to spend an afternoon at the beach.

This is subject to change based on COVID-19 trends, but given the relatively low incidence of COVID in both Texas and SC, we are optimistic that pattern will hold and we can check out what sounds like a great city.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Right or wrong, we’re continuing with our planned trip to Kiawah in a few weeks.

We’re trying to be careful, but still want to venture into Charleston a couple of times during the week.

Any recommendations on open restaurants with outdoor seating, rooftops, patios would be appreciated.

Also any must try breweries?

Edited by Kevin O’Shea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2020 at 3:05 PM, wild_turkey said:

Wife and I booked a trip for June 3-6. Never been before but our other trip got canceled and SC is mostly open for business and visitors.

We are staying at The Restoration and I booked dinner reservations for Magnolias, FIG, and SNOB. I’ve made note of many places in this thread for breakfast, brunch, lunch, day drinking, cocktails, and nightcaps.

Current plan is to rent a car, if for no other reason than to spare us getting in an Uber to/from the airport. I also figure the car would be needed if we decide to spend an afternoon at the beach.

This is subject to change based on COVID-19 trends, but given the relatively low incidence of COVID in both Texas and SC, we are optimistic that pattern will hold and we can check out what sounds like a great city.

I would substitute Husk for one of those, or maybe hit it for brunch

Edited by AustinMT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

Right or wrong, we’re continuing with our planned trip to Kiawah in a few weeks.

We’re trying to be careful, but still want to venture into Charleston a couple of times during the week.

Any recommendations on open restaurants with outdoor seating, rooftops, patios would be appreciated.

Also any must try breweries?

We were there in late January.  The restaurant/bar at the Grand Bohemian has outdoor, rooftop seating.  We just had bar food one day.  Drinks were good, view was very nice.  Food was fine, but There are so many greats restaurants I’d just go for drinks and enjoy the view

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I would substitute Husk for one of those, or maybe hit it for brunch

Husk appears to be one of the only restaurants in Charleston that is still closed. Makes me wonder if they will reopen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:


Husk appears to be one of the only restaurants in Charleston that is still closed. Makes me wonder if they will reopen.

Do at least a lunch at Leon’s.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:


Husk appears to be one of the only restaurants in Charleston that is still closed. Makes me wonder if they will reopen.

He has 4 locations now (Charleston is the original, along with Nashville, Savannah and Greenville, so I think they’d be OK, but who knows these days...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wife and I booked a trip for June 3-6. Never been before but our other trip got canceled and SC is mostly open for business and visitors.

 

We are staying at The Restoration and I booked dinner reservations for Magnolias, FIG, and SNOB. I’ve made note of many places in this thread for breakfast, brunch, lunch, day drinking, cocktails, and nightcaps.

 

Current plan is to rent a car, if for no other reason than to spare us getting in an Uber to/from the airport. I also figure the car would be needed if we decide to spend an afternoon at the beach.

 

This is subject to change based on COVID-19 trends, but given the relatively low incidence of COVID in both Texas and SC, we are optimistic that pattern will hold and we can check out what sounds like a great city.

Well thanks to rioting we canceled all of this.

 

Apparently a lot of windows were smashed out of shops and restaurants on King St and Market St with some minor looting. Now many of them are boarded up for protection and the person I spoke to at the hotel said the town looks like a hurricane is coming. They also had a 6 pm curfew last night. Not expected to have it tonight but we would get there tomorrow and I don’t want to take a chance it will get reinstated while we are there, or the simple fact that businesses may not feel safe to reopen right now.

 

Sucks because it sounds like a badass city and we were excited to finally check it out, but hopefully sometime in the near future if America can find a way to heal itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

Right or wrong, we’re continuing with our planned trip to Kiawah in a few weeks.

We’re trying to be careful, but still want to venture into Charleston a couple of times during the week.

Any recommendations on open restaurants with outdoor seating, rooftops, patios would be appreciated.

Also any must try breweries?

Oh — and you’ll want to get hot chicken at this place, on the road to Kiawah

https://www.kinfolkchs.com/

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
He has 4 locations now (Charleston is the original, along with Nashville, Savannah and Greenville, so I think they’d be OK, but who knows these days...

Sean Brock is no longer a part of the group, though we dined at Husk in Greenville sometime after he left, and it was fantastic.

In Charleston, McCrady’s and Minero upstairs permanently closed within the last couple of months. Minero will reopen on one of the nearby islands.

RIP McC’s—one of the finest prix fixe menus I’ve ever experienced

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Brodarious Hamm Sandwich said:


Sean Brock is no longer a part of the group, though we dined at Husk in Greenville sometime after he left, and it was fantastic.

In Charleston, McCrady’s and Minero upstairs permanently closed within the last couple of months. Minero will reopen on one of the nearby islands.

RIP McC’s—one of the finest prix fixe menus I’ve ever experienced

Didn’t realize he had left. Ate at teh Nashville location a couple of times before he left (just read the article), and the Charleston location after

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recently laid off from my O&G job in Houston and decided to pack up and move here. Anybody live here or have any UT connections that do? Severance about to run out and finding a job has not been easy. Thanks for any and all help!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

sounds like a well thought out decision. 

Some of us have gone through quite a bit the last 6 months and needed a fresh start. I’m glad you have not been affected by this and appreciate your words of encouragement. I hope you spill red wine on your favorite shirt tonight but are able to get it out with resolve and are only inconvenienced for 2 hours. Cheers boss man 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No idea but I’ve enjoyed the town when I have visited. Wish you luck. You’ll find something. If not Charleston there are other good places not far from there. Keep your options open

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Some of us have gone through quite a bit the last 6 months


Of dick. I kid. They two obvious ones to me would be boeing and bmw but I'm sure they aren't hiring much either. Go back for a teaching or nursing degree. Profit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 3:05 PM, wild_turkey said:

Wife and I booked a trip for June 3-6. Never been before but our other trip got canceled and SC is mostly open for business and visitors.

We are staying at The Restoration and I booked dinner reservations for Magnolias, FIG, and SNOB. I’ve made note of many places in this thread for breakfast, brunch, lunch, day drinking, cocktails, and nightcaps.

As I mentioned, that trip got canceled due to riots, curfews, etc. A couple of friends recently asked us to go to Napa but we pointed out that it's on fire, so we pitched Charleston instead and now it's booked for Nov 12-15. Pretty pumped and hoping the October 2020 Epic Disaster of the Month doesn't find a way to nix it again.

Instead of a hotel, we booked a house this time. It's right off King St near the Marion Square, which looks like it will give easy access to a lot of places.

Only dinner reservation so far is for Husk. Trying to figure out the others. Not sure if we need brunch reservations or not?

We also booked a ghost tour pub crawl which sounds interesting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, The Duke said:

Some of us have gone through quite a bit the last 6 months and needed a fresh start. I’m glad you have not been affected by this and appreciate your words of encouragement. I hope you spill red wine on your favorite shirt tonight but are able to get it out with resolve and are only inconvenienced for 2 hours. Cheers boss man 

Just messing with you. Charleston is one of the only other cities I’d consider moving to. I hope it works out for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2020 at 3:58 PM, The Duke said:

Recently laid off from my O&G job in Houston and decided to pack up and move here. Anybody live here or have any UT connections that do? Severance about to run out and finding a job has not been easy. Thanks for any and all help!

It’s one of the only places in the US I would move, and we have given it serious consideration the last 3 or so years.  Good luck, and good for you for taking the leap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

As I mentioned, that trip got canceled due to riots, curfews, etc. A couple of friends recently asked us to go to Napa but we pointed out that it's on fire, so we pitched Charleston instead and now it's booked for Nov 12-15. Pretty pumped and hoping the October 2020 Epic Disaster of the Month doesn't find a way to nix it again.

Instead of a hotel, we booked a house this time. It's right off King St near the Marion Square, which looks like it will give easy access to a lot of places.

Only dinner reservation so far is for Husk. Trying to figure out the others. Not sure if we need brunch reservations or not?

We also booked a ghost tour pub crawl which sounds interesting. 

Charleston is a great place — went there early Feb before the shutdown.

Husk is very good.  GO early and get drinks at their Carriage House bar

Magnolias is worth a dinner — good food

I know you can get steaks anywhere, but Hall’s Chophouse is excellent.  Get the pepper jack creamed corn.

 

Breakfast: Miller’s All Day;  Big Bad Breakfast

The beach at Kiawah is worth a drive.  Stop at eat hot chicken at KinFolk on the way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

As I mentioned, that trip got canceled due to riots, curfews, etc. A couple of friends recently asked us to go to Napa but we pointed out that it's on fire, so we pitched Charleston instead and now it's booked for Nov 12-15. Pretty pumped and hoping the October 2020 Epic Disaster of the Month doesn't find a way to nix it again.

Instead of a hotel, we booked a house this time. It's right off King St near the Marion Square, which looks like it will give easy access to a lot of places.

Only dinner reservation so far is for Husk. Trying to figure out the others. Not sure if we need brunch reservations or not?

We also booked a ghost tour pub crawl which sounds interesting. 

The Fort Sumter tour is pretty cool, especially if you go in the morning and watch the flag raising ceremony.  Lots of history in Charleston.  I'm not overly into history, but it was still cool to see and hear about everything.  

It's hard to go wrong with food and drink options.  

Good call on Husk.  I would second Magnolias recommendation. 

Dessert at peninsula grill (coconut cake is a must) 

Lunch places I would look into Poogan's Porch, Hominy Grill, Lewis BBQ and Leon's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, PorscheGuy said:

The Fort Sumter tour is pretty cool, especially if you go in the morning and watch the flag raising ceremony.  Lots of history in Charleston.  I'm not overly into history, but it was still cool to see and hear about everything.  

It's hard to go wrong with food and drink options.  

Good call on Husk.  I would second Magnolias recommendation. 

Dessert at peninsula grill (coconut cake is a must) 

Lunch places I would look into Poogan's Porch, Hominy Grill, Lewis BBQ and Leon's

I believe Hominy Grill closed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion ... COOKIE MONSTER
×
×
  • Create New...