The all encompassing RV thread

troph

24 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

RE: the bolded, I give it 6 months before you get the "We don't ever go on vacations except for in the RV anymore" talk.  Good luck with that.  I bought a whole second house and still get that shit.

Yeah, agree with this one.  There's no way our RV travel was ever going to completely replace our air/hotel travel, so I didn't even try to do the mental gymnastics to justify it that way.

But it's still completely worth it to have the RV and be able to do all of the things that enables.

• Hook 'Em 1

Funny thing.  I brought it up as an afterthought several months ago.  My wife didn't immediately shoot it down.  Now she's more game than I am.  She's all, "Have you seen the 2021 model of the 279 Gulf Stream?"  I'm the one that's actually nervous about a payment commitment of more than 5 years for something that may get old after a couple of years.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

RE: the bolded, I give it 6 months before you get the "We don't ever go on vacations except for in the RV anymore" talk.  Good luck with that.  I bought a whole second house and still get that shit.

yeah when we bought this summer we figured if we used it twice this summer, twice this fall, once next year and twice next summer then we are good.  we've always wanted to get back into camping/RVing but air travel and nicer accommodations continued to win out.  I was already starting to lament not taking my boys out West so when covid hit, it all came together.  we can't really travel responsibly by airplane so let's pause, and do what we wanted to do with an RV for a while. We have our 6th trip scheduled for Christmas (Santa Fe with some friends) so we think we are getting our money out of it.  We will do a few more in the Spring I'm sure, then take some in the summer and hopefully then move back to air travel.  at that point we will keep the RV and use it 2-3 times a year but not exclusively.  If we don't use it that much, then we might sell it.  if we use it more, we might upgrade.  we'll see.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Funny thing.  I brought it up as an afterthought several months ago.  My wife didn't immediately shoot it down.  Now she's more game than I am.  She's all, "Have you seen the 2021 model of the 279 Gulf Stream?"  I'm the one that's actually nervous about a payment commitment of more than 5 years for something that may get old after a couple of years.

Shit you can get 10,15,20 year notes on these things. Just don’t expect your balance to drop as quick as the value does. 

and if it’s really an issue, buy a 15 year old one for 10k or less and use it for a year. Then decide to sell for not much loss, keep, or trade up. You won’t be missing too much on an older one other than style. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

So my wife and I are both teachers.  We have 8 and 13 year-old boys.  Our plan was to do the regular long trip in the summer, multi-day trip at spring and fall break, perhaps X-mas and Thanksgiving as well.  One of the draws would be the ability to just load up and hit, say, Tawakoni over a weekend if we just need to get away.  We're both pretty frugal and laid back.  We're more of the, "Let's go see things" family over the "Let's go to Disney, or a resort, or spend a bunch of money" family.  We calculated that we spend almost $2,000 a year on hotels - mainly because our vacations are usually just to visit friends and family in TN, FL, GA, etc... Add to that the fact that we usually must eat out when traveling and getting an RV is almost a neutral proposition.  We know gas, maintenance, and insurance will add to the bill, but it's still pretty darn close to being a wash.

We were originally looking to get the lengthiest note possible to keep the monthly expense down; however, we can afford a much shorter-termed loan.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Lat22?  I’m Cabowabo bitch. 

Anyway, to answer the question above is has 72k miles on it. It was owned by a retired military guy who took really good care of it. His wife has come down with Alzheimer’s disease and he doesn’t have time to do the upkeep anymore. It is really clean inside and out and has a lot of nice upgrades. Wingard dome satellite dish on the roof, Pioneer stereo with Alpine amplifier and subwoofer that’ll rock the trailer park, relatively new tires, numerous suspension upgrades, snap on covers for the exterior windows, and other shit I’m sure I’m forgetting. Plus, he gave me a lot of accessories...sewer hose, power cords, camp chairs, and numerous parts. He also gave me all the service records.  Seeing all the money he has spent on it made me shit my pants a little.  I got the whole package for under $35k. I was initially looking at Class C”s and looked  at several which were newer and more expensive, and they didn’t look half as good as this one does. When I saw this I decided that I could handle a 36 foot Class A. Next purchase will be a tow dolly so I can haul my sweet as Hyundai Ioniq and take my talents on the road. 

Gat dammit.  You guys are bros, though, no?  Weird subconscious thing.

So my wife and I are both teachers.  We have 8 and 13 year-old boys.  Our plan was to do the regular long trip in the summer, multi-day trip at spring and fall break, perhaps X-mas and Thanksgiving as well.  One of the draws would be the ability to just load up and hit, say, Tawakoni over a weekend if we just need to get away.  We're both pretty frugal and laid back.  We're more of the, "Let's go see things" family over the "Let's go to Disney, or a resort, or spend a bunch of money" family.  We calculated that we spend almost $2,000 a year on hotels - mainly because our vacations are usually just to visit friends and family in TN, FL, GA, etc... Add to that the fact that we usually must eat out when traveling and getting an RV is almost a neutral proposition.  We know gas, maintenance, and insurance will add to the bill, but it's still pretty darn close to being a wash.
We were originally looking to get the lengthiest note possible to keep the monthly expense down; however, we can afford a much shorter-termed loan.  
I think the RV is a great idea, just saying i wouldn't count on the budget neutral part.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 6:28 AM, JMFP said:

Now I just need to figure out how to tie up my motorcycle to the back of it... It's got a hitch already but it's only rated for 300 lbs. and my bike weighs about 500. We're still planning a trip to Mt. Rushmore sometime and love to be able to take it too and hit some OHV/Jeep trails...

Not sure if this would work for your needs but this was an interesting fix for the problem on class A Motorhomes. This version was rated for 600 lbs and cost $1700 new.  Probably get you for ramps or some other add on necessity.

spacer.png

https://www.cruiserlifts.com/collections/swivelwheel-transport-systems/products/swivelwheel-eco

• Like 1

I was thinking maybe a small trailer to pull behind the fifth wheel - but that I think would be a huge PITA anytime I needed to back up.

I just got motorcycle early this year so I hadn't taken it on any trips yet but I was looking forward to in the future...

53 minutes ago, JMFP said:

I was thinking maybe a small trailer to pull behind the fifth wheel - but that I think would be a huge PITA anytime I needed to back up.

I just got motorcycle early this year so I hadn't taken it on any trips yet but I was looking forward to in the future...

I see several people here pulling a trailer/5th wheel that has a utv on a 10-12 ft flatbed trailer behind it. I can’t imagine the logistics of making sure you don’t have to back up, and that you have room at gas stations or tight turning parking lots. 60-70 feet with two points of articulation?  I’m sure if you had all the room in the world, and time and patience, you could back that train somewhere. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I see several people here pulling a trailer/5th wheel that has a utv on a 10-12 ft flatbed trailer behind it. I can’t imagine the logistics of making sure you don’t have to back up, and that you have room at gas stations or tight turning parking lots. 60-70 feet with two points of articulation?  I’m sure if you had all the room in the world, and time and patience, you could back that train somewhere. 

I've seen people pulling their 21 foot bass boats behind fifth wheels here...

33 minutes ago, JMFP said:

I've seen people pulling their 21 foot bass boats behind fifth wheels here...

Yeah people do some really stupid stuff.

Triple towing is legal in Texas, there's a max combined length and I think it's something like 65 feet.  

Knox: we are also a two teacher family and we got a small 21 foot bunk model RV a couple years ago.

We try to take it out a few weekends each Fall and Spring to nearby places, Tawakoni, Ray Roberts, Eisenhower, and Bohnam. If it's a three day weekend a little farther like Mineral Wells or Dinosaur Valley.

Then we use it as much as we can in summer when we are both off. Short trips during the middle of the week are great because most parks are pretty empty when it's not the weekend. And every other summer we are trying to do a longer out of state trip.

Our only big trip so far was 15 days out to Grand Canyon and then up to Colorado and back. We are hoping to do another long trip this summer of Covid calms down.

It isn't a cheap hobby but it's something a two-teacher income can support and we have the time to enjoy it.

I pay 50 a month to store it, the thing cost me around 14 grand new I think, then I put in about 2 grand of upgrades and another 1500 in repairs already.

Now the wife is eyeing an upgrade and the one she wants is over 20 grand so I'm not saving any money over more traditional vacations.

But the family time is awesome and the kids love it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Supposed to go to port A for some good times in the RV near the beach. Not sure. Seems ok but who knows. Got our tailgater dish network hooked up and going for Saturday football though. Rolling out tomorrow 1pm ish. If it happens should be good times. Fishing scheduled for Friday. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

I’m also headed to Port A for the motorhome”s maiden voyage. Gulf Waters was booked so I’m at the Pioneer RV Beach Resort. Anyone have any intel on that place?

we are just down the road near bob hall at padre balli on the nicer side of the park.  a bit apprehensive with flooding and rip current warnings.  my "cabo-rogue wave-swept out to sea-thought I was dead-made it back-it was a miracle-PTSD" has me in a bit of a stomach knot thinking about my sons rough housing in the surf. 

18 hours ago, troph said:

Supposed to go to port A for some good times in the RV near the beach. Not sure. Seems ok but who knows. Got our tailgater dish network hooked up and going for Saturday football though. Rolling out tomorrow 1pm ish. If it happens should be good times. Fishing scheduled for Friday. Fingers crossed.

Let us know how it is once you get there.  Headed out tomorrow around 10 AM, staying at On The Beach RV resort.  If it's still there after the hurricane blows it all away of course.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Rule #1 of rving is have stuff that’s just for the rv, that stays in the rv. 

Exactly. I have a full set of RV buttplugs, in addition to my home buttplugs, my pickup buttplugs, and my Jeep buttplugs.

You never want to need a buttplug, and not have one handy.

Let us know how it is once you get there.  Headed out tomorrow around 10 AM, staying at On The Beach RV resort.  If it's still there after the hurricane blows it all away of course.

Got here super late going to bed now at 1:25a with an alarm for 5:00a - beaches are closed based on what the couple next to us said. Dunes are high here I bet we are fine. Park is open obviously.

2 hours ago, troph said:

Local forecast calling for strong winds some flooding possible, this morning winds are gusty, but the park is dry. I think later today is the worst of it. Supposed to be dry and hotAF tomorrow and Sunday.

Thanks.

10 days ago when I checked the weather, it said it would be sunny, high of 82 and low of 72, every day we planned to be there.  Things change, obviously. :)

We'll still have a good time.  This has been a hellacious week at the office, and the kids are dying to get out of the house, too.  I've got plenty of gin, tonic, ice, and beer, so it's all good.

Get a lighter bike:
KIMG0441.thumb.JPG.6ba9f15e2ce6e5279ac7183052e9fb90.JPG
Serious note.. This is rated to 500 lbs, though that much makes me nervous as it is just above my tongue 500 lbs with the trailer. I've carried my Ninja 1000 on it which is a tad over 94 lbs trailer + ~500 lbs bike wet but only in the city to a shop at lower speeds. With this bike 302 (94+208). My Colorado does fine with it on the freeway.
VersaHaul.com

I wouldn't mind having wr250 for an rv bike... But I had a helluva time talking the wife into letting me get the Tiger. I'd have to trade it in and I'm not ready to do that yet.

It’s my experience that there’s always a breeze when you are on a rented boat doing 20 knots around the bay. 

Yes that’s true our problem was the wind was too gusty for the awning. 91 feels like 99 and couldn’t create shade because it was too windy.

Speaking of generators - we FINALLY figured ours out. When you plug into shore power, the water heater resets to electric power. Our generators can’t run the AC and the water heater. When we switched the water heater to gas only then it all works perfectly. We hooked up to shore power on our way to Colorado the very first time and never new this was a feature.

Also, mounted the solar panels on the roof and now have 8 panels up there for battery recharge.

Headed to Arkansas next week for a social distancing homo rally. Mostly airstreams but we’ve got a legacy membership bc my gf and her ex were airstreamers.

• Hook 'Em 1

I just found this thread. In 3 weeks or so, I'm taking the family on a trip to Mineral Wells SP. We rented a 26 footer tow along via Outdoorsy and I'm a bit nervous since its the largest thing I've ever towed w my Tahoe.

Never owned, driven, or set up a trailer before...what could go wrong?

The good new is that we're going w 2 other families, one of which has their own pop-up so he will help us set everything up.