cdain3

Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Shaka Edition

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Gonna assume this means we've activated the contingency plan

image.png.6950475f631208603671ff26b311bc0e.png

11 hours ago, texifornia said:

I don't follow basketball recruiting like football recruiting, but following your link, David Joplin's tape looks okay - decent ball handling, good athleticism, shoots from too low or is too slow getting it off so I think he will have a problem getting his shot off at the next level. On the same page, there were highlights of AJ Casey from Chicago. That dude looks like he will be a player.

I'm pretty damn excited for this kid actually. He has nice size. I like his build. If you watch his games, he flashes some pretty damn good athleticism and tenacity (on both ends of the floor). 

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, lazygringo said:

I'm pretty damn excited for this kid actually. He has nice size. I like his build. If you watch his games, he flashes some pretty damn good athleticism and tenacity (on both ends of the floor). 

he sounds like 95% of the guys Shaka recruits- a late bloomer, lowly ranked/unranked but rising, more of an athlete than a basketball player, he can't shoot, he looks to be a 4 year project type of guy if he's going to reach his potential, except that if Shaka is correct in his assessment of this kid's potential, then he'll be here for 1-2 underwhelming years before being taken in the top 15 of the NBA draft after winning nothing at Texas. nothing personal to the kid, but i'm kind of sick of recruiting kids like him. oh well. we do need as many commits as we can get, but i'm just tired of recruiting "projects" who don't even stick around long enough to have any worthwhile impact on the program. 

Edited by shadow_operative

15 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

he sounds like 95% of the guys Shaka recruits- a late bloomer, lowly ranked/unranked but rising, more of an athlete than a basketball player, he can't shoot, he looks to be a 4 year project type of guy if he's going to reach his potential, except that if Shaka is correct in his assessment of this kid's potential, then he'll be here for 1-2 underwhelming years before being taken in the top 15 of the NBA draft after winning nothing at Texas. nothing personal to the kid, but i'm kind of sick of recruiting kids like him. oh well. we do need as many commits as we can get, but i'm just tired of recruiting "projects" who don't even stick around long enough to have any worthwhile impact on the program. 

fucking this ugh smh

fwiw: 

Like the other pledge in the class, North Carolina power forward Keeyan Itejere, Ellis is an under-the-radar prospect whose stock hasn’t had a chance to take off yet due to the coronaviruspandemic. The 6’5, 175-pound point guard only boasts three other offers at this time — Bryant, Louisiana Tech, and Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

So when Texas offered in June, Ellis didn’t need much time to decide.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

This is the dumbest take I’ve seen in the 25 years I’ve had access to the internet. What’s your solution? 5 stars are one and done, projects are too successful, so let’s just have a bunch of walk-on’s with no potential. At least they won’t leave to play professional basketball and be an advocate for the university on a world wide scale. 

1 hour ago, Ryno said:

This is the dumbest take I’ve seen in the 25 years I’ve had access to the internet. What’s your solution? 5 stars are one and done, projects are too successful, so let’s just have a bunch of walk-on’s with no potential. At least they won’t leave to play professional basketball and be an advocate for the university on a world wide scale. 

I believe you've actually stumbled into a significantly worse take here.

19 hours ago, Ryno said:

Agreed. That was horribly stupid. He wants good players but not TOO GOOD. And they can't start out bad, either. They have to be mediocre from the beginning of their college career until the end. And lead the team to a solid tournament performance.

It sounds like he's used to how football works, not basketball. You can't have the same standard because football players can't leave as early.

2 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

where da fook is @Goo Punch he has been pumping kj for 3 years & hes not even going to show up to discuss  kjs decision today 

He got exiled by immamac.

4 hours ago, lazygringo said:

Agreed. That was horribly stupid. He wants good players but not TOO GOOD. And they can't start out bad, either. They have to be mediocre from the beginning of their college career until the end. And lead the team to a solid tournament performance.

It sounds like he's used to how football works, not basketball. You can't have the same standard because football players can't leave as early.

lol, i didn't say anything remotely resembling that, but ok.

Posted (edited)

such a special kid. 

home grown, friends with Greg Brown, Brock Cunningham, and Jaxson Hayes, has a good relationship with Jarrett Allen, is a former teammate of Will Baker, and Texas was his first offer. gosh i hope he picks Texas. however, if he doesn't, then man it is going to suck if he commits to Baylor. anywhere but Baylor.

22 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

According to the interwebs we didn't really make him much of a priority

its because 5* damion collins has been a silent for more than a month now

15 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

I hope you're right.

1 hour ago, hornfromdallas said:

i mean, we're going to legit sign six guys in this class. seems like there should have been room for both, especially since KJ is more of a SF/PF hybrid. he's essentially the type of project that Shaka likes, only more physically/developmentally advanced. it kinda hurts not to land him. 

On 7/31/2020 at 6:23 PM, Radical Larry said:

It’s Kansas.

On 7/31/2020 at 3:41 PM, texifornia said:

He got exiled by immamac.

Derka must be in a dark place right now. Not only does KJ Adams go to Kansas, but he doesn't even get to come on Surly to Derka this thread rage posting about Shaka. 

On 7/31/2020 at 11:24 PM, shadow_operative said:

i mean, we're going to legit sign six guys in this class. seems like there should have been room for both, especially since KJ is more of a SF/PF hybrid. he's essentially the type of project that Shaka likes, only more physically/developmentally advanced. it kinda hurts not to land him. 

No chance they want to take 6 in this class. 6 FR in a single class is a recipe for disaster. Likely taking around 4 with a couple grad transfers. 

8 minutes ago, Sal said:

Who are these cats? 

A Texas football guy and Gershon, who appears to be basketball 247's Fong. Hasn't missed a pick in 2021 yet. Rivals picks came from McComas, and two national guys with 90% and 95% win rates respectively. Would appear to be a lock. 

On 7/31/2020 at 9:49 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

According to the interwebs we didn't really make him much of a priority

we were his first offer (we offered him when he was in 9th grade) and hosted him at a ton of games and several unofficial visits. we definitely made him a priority. maybe that changed once it was clear that he wasn't coming here, but we wanted him for sure. with all of the connections that he has to the program and it's current/former players, it sounds like the interwebs are saying, "no we didn't want him anyway", after the fact, which is very aggyish. of course we wanted a home grown HS star to commit to Texas in a year where we face a 100% rebuild. the kid obviously didn't want to sign up for that. 

Yeah, somehow I doubt that in a class where we are going to sign 6+ guys and are taking commits from dudes with only mid major offers, that we just decided to blow off a kid from Austin who committed to Kansas.  

1 minute ago, hornfromdallas said:

wrong texas stopped recruiting him  when collins gave his silent 

yeah and i broke up with my girlfriend three weeks after she stopped talking to me and started ignoring all of my calls. 

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah and i broke up with my girlfriend three weeks after she stopped talking to me and started ignoring all of my calls. 

you obviously dont know my connect so i will let this shade pass for now

Edited by hornfromdallas

3 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

you obviously dont know my connect so i will let this shade pass for now

Please forgivith, for that fuccboi does not know what he says

21 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

wrong texas stopped recruiting him  when collins gave his silent 

I'm not sure that would have much impact as Collins and Adams seem to project to different positions but I don't think you're wrong. I believe McComas said a few months ago that Texas was kind of meh on Adams. 

Seems like they prioritized somebody like Joplin over Adams and really they're recruiting ranking isn't that much different. Rivals has also been hinting at a bump for Joplin so they're probably going to be ranked in similar spots before the process is over. 

Edited by texasstrong12

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

we were his first offer (we offered him when he was in 9th grade) and hosted him at a ton of games and several unofficial visits. we definitely made him a priority. maybe that changed once it was clear that he wasn't coming here, but we wanted him for sure. with all of the connections that he has to the program and it's current/former players, it sounds like the interwebs are saying, "no we didn't want him anyway", after the fact, which is very aggyish. of course we wanted a home grown HS star to commit to Texas in a year where we face a 100% rebuild. the kid obviously didn't want to sign up for that. 

Evaluations shift.

Adams was a top 30 prospect by most of the recruiting services a year ago and now he's the #72 composite ranked recruit. 247 dropped him all the way down to the #92 ranked recruit. You're still viewing Adams as a 5 star type when the recruiting services really don't see much difference between Joplin and Adams. 

247 has Adams as the #19 PF. Joplin is the #30 PF but once the Rivals update happens they're going to be ranked almost identically in the composite. 

Edited by texasstrong12

no, i'm essentially saying what longhornmatt said above- we didn't stop recruiting a top 100 kid from Austin when we're out here offering kids who aren't even ranked by major services due to our desperate need bodies for 2021. believing that we backed off Adams is naive.